Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Simply learn Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

Simply learn Japanese

Children can do it. No excuse.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What makes translating it so hard? Just give the text to someone. Have em translate it. Have someone else play and give feedback. Then edit.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Children can do it. No excuse.

The child class gets a buff to brain plasticity

Waltzing Along posted:

What makes translating it so hard? Just give the text to someone. Have em translate it. Have someone else play and give feedback. Then edit.

If you're actually curious about this, I've been reading the Legends of Localization book about Earthbound and it is pretty interesting! There are a lot of things to worry about besides just changing the text.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Just use Google to read it losers.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
make up your own story based on what you see, it'll be an adventure for your imagination
also for navigating menus and items

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The entire English script is on GameFaqs (there’s also a translated GBA ROM out there)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
people should just play it on their PC in English for free like I did back in 2008 and stop holding out a candle for Nintendo to acknowledge the series

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

people should just play it on their PC in English for free like I did back in 2008 and stop holding out a candle for Nintendo to acknowledge the series

Back when we played it there weren't actually any good GBA emulators so we all missed out on the rhythm based combat. It's time for a revisit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

people should just play the semi professionally done Mother 3 fan translation. its free and Nintendo isn't going to do anything with the game

I don't have a working pc or any other way to easily play emulated games so it would be nice if the English version was in my Switch

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

hatty posted:

I remember around that time groups of fans mailing lovingly crafted collections of fan content to Nintendo just to let them play Earthbound officially on newer hardware and to get an official translation of that game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, for one, there's a noteworthy group of characters named after a literal slur and who can be pretty easily viewed as a nasty stereotype of trans folk despite the characters themselves being entirely helpful and cool.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pocket Card Jockey!!!!!!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Soul Dentist posted:

At least finally include a runic spell system

Having to pick up the right combination of runes and colours along the way to make an attack/defense/speed boost spell would really change the way you drive

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That sounds like it would be extremely easy to translate actually.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Well, for one, there's a noteworthy group of characters named after a literal slur and who can be pretty easily viewed as a nasty stereotype of trans folk despite the characters themselves being entirely helpful and cool.

Also at this junction Nintendo probably get more use from the game as a white whale anyway.

They'd get just as many collum-inches, more probably, being "Those bastards who whore Mother 3" over "Them good-types who finally released Earthbound 2"

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't have a working pc or any other way to easily play emulated games so it would be nice if the English version was in my Switch

A Raspberry Pi is super cheap.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Findall "magypsy"
Replaceall "romagic"

Wow that was really hard guys.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The game also ends with a child committing suicide

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

With the Switch 2 getting delayed to after the holiday season, Nintendo are going to be scrambling to get a big, mass appeal tentpole title for November. The Mother 3 translation is coming.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

The game also ends with a child committing suicide

Two, depending on how one reads the ending.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Eden Games still exists, but they went the free to play route after tdu 2 with the Gear.Club 1 & 2 mobile games.

As far as I know they legally dissolved back in 2013 after Atari had spent a while firing over half the studio and later reformed as a new company, so even with a fair number of old employees being back it's technically not the same company.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Looks like I'll be playing Pentiment again!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
first you want mother 3 on the switch. you got it! now you want it in english?? talk about moving the goalposts

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

antidote posted:

Looks like I'll be playing Pentiment again!

I'm hype but I feel like the whole "available tomorrow" thing is a huge miss. The buzz of a shadow drop is real. ropekid wyd my man?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

External Organs posted:

Isn't epic mickey supposed to be good

The Wii game was good in concept but suffered from a really bad camera that kept making certain platforming sections randomly annoying.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

I'm hype but I feel like the whole "available tomorrow" thing is a huge miss. The buzz of a shadow drop is real. ropekid wyd my man?

Too busy posting in the watch thread. Lazy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Findall "magypsy"
Replaceall "romagic"

Wow that was really hard guys.

In context, yes, because there are events that happen which probably would get adjusted. It isn't impossible but it would require going in and changing sprites/etc which is more work than they likely want to deal with.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think that's why they aren't releasing the game i think it's because it's a very niche RPG and translating an extremely text intensive game is a lot of work and money

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thank god we got Blast Corps because Mother 3 being Japan only was gonna make me da joker.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fantasy Life isn't coming out until October? gently caress. That's really far out. Nothing else in this direct was later than summer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I knew pentiment would come to switch as soon as bought it on steam deck like a dumbass lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

“like”…

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Steam Dreck

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Penny's Big Breakaway could probably be good and I like the first World of Goo. Not exactly a huge amount of interesting stuff in this direct otherwise,
though.

Is Endless Ocean just an exploration game, or are you likely to be eaten by sharks and such? I think this might be the first time I'm hearing about it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They were chill aquarium sims published by Nintendo back in the Wii days. The new one looks slightly interesting because it has online but the same kinda boring otherwise.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

how did the dude make the rumble in balatro so satisfying…

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Snake Maze posted:

It's a shame so many good games are going to be overshadowed by the release of 2024's most anticipated title, Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ah, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

In context, yes, because there are events that happen which probably would get adjusted. It isn't impossible but it would require going in and changing sprites/etc which is more work than they likely want to deal with.

lazy devs