Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Snooze Cruise posted:

hi this is the game of the year people!!

Did they fix the weird balancing were a Flush House was by default better than 5 identical cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1955230/Pennys_Big_Breakaway/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256998211/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708524035
No reviews yet, but this new 3D platforming game from the Sonic Mania creators just came out.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Well that looks like a really fun 3D Sonic game, but you play as all the characters at once.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

goatface posted:

That's why you limit a demo to only part of the game.

What if that part of the game still gets you like 100 hours of gameplay

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Then you have put too much of the game in it.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Reviews for Nightingale are mixed currently, apparently theres a lot of lag even in single-player mode.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

that Terminator RTS is now out

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1839950/Terminator_Dark_Fate__Defiance/

feels a bit clunky to play tho

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

how clunky we talking?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

CzarChasm posted:

Well that looks like a really fun 3D Sonic game, but you play as all the characters at once.

it is very good and yeah the devs understand movement in a platforming game. it's not a 3d open world as much as it is a 3d platformer with fixed camera angles - feels very good but I would strongly recommend a controller!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Deakul posted:

What if that part of the game still gets you like 100 hours of gameplay

ah, tactical nexus

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1759380/Bandle_Tale_A_League_of_Legends_Story/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257001613/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708534668

quote:

Bandle Tale: A League of Legends Story is a crafting RPG set in the whimsical world of Bandle City. After a party goes wrong, the portals that connect your home collapse and throw everything into chaos! Using your knitting magic and backpack house, restore the portals to reunite Bandle City.
92% positive out of 42. Another 'Riot Forge' league of legendes story thingy. Very nice art imo

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2299660/Fossilfuel_2/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256943145/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1707768302

quote:

Turn up the volume, turn off the lights, and get ready for the definitive Jurassic survival horror experience. Pump your shotgun and put those dinos back where they belong... in the ground!
96% positive out of 27 but even the positive reviews speak of some jank

https://store.steampowered.com/app/899770/Last_Epoch/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257001641/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708139016

quote:

Uncover the Past, Reforge the Future. Ascend into one of 15 mastery classes and explore dangerous dungeons, hunt epic loot, craft legendary weapons, and wield the power of over a hundred transformative skill trees. Last Epoch is being developed by a team of passionate Action RPG enthusiasts.
Full release for this 'arpg'. 84% positive out of 30k reviews in total.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1903910/Slave_Zero_X/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256969168/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708520301

quote:

Slave Zero X is a stylish 2.5D character action game set in the biopunk world of Slave Zero (1999). Run & Slash your way through a dystopian future in this character action game which will resonate with fans of Devil May Cry, Strider, and Guilty Gear.
10 positive, 1 negative review complaining of poor key mapping.

e:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2399420/Le_Mans_Ultimate/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257002266/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708439035

quote:

Le Mans is a continually evolving story... powered by emotion, speed and glory. Le Mans Ultimate - the official game of the FIA World Endurance Championship and 24 Hours of Le Mans.
73% positive out of nearly 1k. Made by the rFactor 2 people and apparently a continuation of that engine

Play fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 21, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Gonna +1 Balatro - If you like Slay The Spire-run based games and you love Poker, you'll absolutely be at home here and should ante up immediately. Got pretty far in my first real run with a build that required hitting flushes for huge point totals... Which blew up spectacularly when I faced a boss that dealt cards face down. Whoops.

I hope it eventually gets an iPad release so I can buy it again. In the meantime, I'm gonna see if I can get Moonlight + Tailscale to work so I can stream it from my home computer while on the go.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 22, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Balatro is absolutely sick. It might have scientifically perfect music to go with it. gently caress!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Inkulinati

quote:

Inkulinati is a turn-based strategy game straight from medieval manuscripts, where a rabbit’s bum can be deadlier than a dog's sword. Become a master of the Living Ink, build your own bestiary, defeat medieval superstars and collect perks to unleash hidden powers.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257002509/movie480_vp9.webm
88% out of ~260.

Quadroids

quote:

Quadroids is a single-player puzzle platformer with a twist! Don’t be fooled by its simple pixel-art style and put your neocortex to the test while you try to control 4 screens by yourself and clear 100+ mind-twisting levels!
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256967821/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews. 17% launch discount.

Sokobond Express

quote:

Sokobond Express is a beautifully minimalist puzzle game that combines chemical bonds and puzzling pathfinding in novel ways.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256999956/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews. 10% launch discount.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

tokenbrownguy posted:

how clunky we talking?

I feel unit commands in particular lack feedback in terms of both UI and world visibility. I have to play a bit more but I often wondered if a command worked or what it did because there was no feedback in places I'd expect it. CoH or WiC f.e. had a lot of various feedback elements that made it much more clearer if a unit went prone f.e.
The demo is still available I think so you can check that one too

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1124180/Rail_Route/

quote:

In Rail Route, you will design, construct, upgrade, and automate your railway network in one of the many maps based on real-life cities worldwide. Dispatch the trains to make the traffic flow and the network grow!

Very Positive (91% of 1300 / was EA before)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1915380/Garden_Life_A_Cozy_Simulator/

quote:

Garden Life is a relaxing gardening game in which you create your dream garden in a peaceful, colourful world. Plant and add ornaments at your own pace, transforming an overgrown forgotten plot into a flourishing community garden.

Positive (22)

haldolium fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 22, 2024

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Nybble posted:

Gonna +1 Balatro - If you like Slay The Spire-run based games and you love Poker, you'll absolutely be at home here and should ante up immediately. Got pretty far in my first real run with a build that required hitting flushes for huge point totals... Which blew up spectacularly when I faced a boss that dealt cards face down. Whoops.

I hope it eventually gets an iPad release so I can buy it again. In the meantime, I'm gonna see if I can get Moonlight + Tailscale to work so I can stream it from my home computer while on the go.

Gonna give another +1 for Balatro, game's so loving good.

I just wish it had a mobile release so I could play it on the go. I'd happily and quite unironically slam down even more than I paid for the steam version for that (which is already bafflingly inexpensive for such a good game).

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Framboise posted:

Gonna give another +1 for Balatro, game's so loving good.

I just wish it had a mobile release so I could play it on the go. I'd happily and quite unironically slam down even more than I paid for the steam version for that (which is already bafflingly inexpensive for such a good game).

There is a switch port, which is kind of playing on the go

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ceebees posted:

There is a switch port, which is kind of playing on the go

It's really good. The rumble stuff is crazy satisfying.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256931504/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708631716

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1893810/Solium_Infernum/

quote:

Take the Infernal Throne in this hellish turn-based grand strategy game. The Prince of Darkness has vanished, leaving Archfiends to conspire: muster your legions while intoning dark sorceries, devilish schemes, and machiavellian plots. Who will be the new ruler of Hell and ascend the Throne?

2 user reviews, not yet rated.

Modern remake of the 2009 game, done with the blessing (or should that be curse?) of the original developer. Appears to have more depth and be slightly less complicated than said original. Emphasis on "slightly."

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

As someone with very very limited poker experience, but who loves card-based roguelites, would Balatro be doable?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Yes - It’s basically Video Poker where you are trying to put hands together for a high-score. Definitely not like most poker games where you are competing at a table against opponents. No bluffing or betting; just need to know that a Flush is better than a Two Pair.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Nybble posted:

Yes - It’s basically Video Poker where you are trying to put hands together for a high-score. Definitely not like most poker games where you are competing at a table against opponents. No bluffing or betting; just need to know that a Flush is better than a Two Pair.

unless you repeatedly slam planets into your two pair stat to proc your xMult joker

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Nybble posted:

+1 to this. It basically is only using the bones of poker's scoring values and then goes completely bananas from there.

Chadzok posted:

unless you repeatedly slam planets into your two pair stat to proc your xMult joker

:hmmyes:

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

so what's the verdict on Penny's Big Breakaway?
are the controls actually as bad as people on steam say?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nybble posted:

And you can pull up the run info screen at any time in game to see what hands are better than what.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jossar posted:

Modern remake of the 2009 game, done with the blessing (or should that be curse?) of the original developer. Appears to have more depth and be slightly less complicated than said original. Emphasis on "slightly."

I played the 2009 version, it was an amazing game hampered by nonexistent graphics (they used Flash as their game engine, no poo poo). The only caveat is that the AI opponents are completely passive, so don't get this unless you are planning to play with Actual People. Or maybe they juiced up the AI this time, who knows.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Not seeing any posts about this gem so here I go:

Pacific Drive: Link

Basically what you get when you combine My Summer Car, STALKER, and Simon Stålenhag's Loop and Electric State series. A Pseudo VHS punk version of Olympia Washington gets hosed up by a mad science macguffin and you end up stuck inside the exclusion zone, driving your station wagon vaguely based on the one that the Griswold's drove in the Vacation movies, finding secrets, anomalies, and looking for a way out.

It's great. You're not stuck in the car and can venture out in the world, though you're very squishy so stay close to the car. The driving is a great balance between the overly designed super simulators where you need to manage the car down to individual engine pistons and arcade racers where you just pick a part and go. The driving is arcadey but also has some decent nuance you can either fall victim to or take advantage of if you know what you're doing (Like making the back end slide around without the handbrake if you're taking a turn too fast on wet roads).

You've also got a pretty straight forward but extensive tech tree for upgrades that you can either research yourself or scavenge out in the world. There is also a fun little gimmick where after enough time and random repairs your car will develop "quirks". Put the car in park? Well now your wipers turn on. Take a turn too fast and the traction control kicks on? Now the headlights and radio turn on. Things like that. Then you get to use a tool that can only be described as "Trying to explain to a mechanic what's wrong when you don't know cars" simulator. You'll then get some vague hints as to what might be the problem and what might be the solution. So far I've not gotten any quirks that actually make things overly difficult or make the car a pain to drive, just fun little things (except the quirk that made my car go into drive when I opened a door leading to me chasing my station wagon down a hill while all hell broke loose around me).

It's not difficult at first, though that seems to be an onboarding decision because as you learn more about the world, the world throws more at you. It's definitely a vibes game though. You're not fighting anything, you can't. The obstacles and antagonists are immortal machines, anomalies, and reality itself, you're just trying to navigate around and survive long enough to escape. Working in the garage is great because you can turn on the radio to actual licensed songs and jam out while trying to figure out why your steering reverses directions when the radio plays hard rock...

I'm only a few hours in but the depth of the game seems to be there, so 10/10 for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crain posted:

Pacific Drive: Link

Looks neat, I dunno if it's the game for me but I bookmarked it to check out a playthrough at least.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm in love with Pacific drive yeah, such an amazing unique game

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I was really looking forward to it but then read a few meh reviews from sites I usually like. Glad to hear otherwise.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Looks neat, I dunno if it's the game for me but I bookmarked it to check out a playthrough at least.

Yeah, the particular aesthetic and genre seem to have passed it by for easy broad appeal. It's a little late to the game for the "Stranger things/alt-80s/VHS-punk" aesthetic it's heavily steeped in.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Looks like the main complaint is lack of ability to save between checkpoints that might be an hour apart. That’s a pretty legit concern imo. Gonna toss it on the wishlist and see if that gets addressed because I like most everything else I’m seeing.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

I played the 2009 version, it was an amazing game hampered by nonexistent graphics (they used Flash as their game engine, no poo poo).

Adobe Director, even. Basically software intended to make stuff like dvd menus. Vic Davis is a mad genius. Armageddon Empires is my favourite of his games.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Pacific Drive definitely caught my eye, and the checkpoint thing, while potentially awkward, does make sense given it’s basically a roguelite structure for trips into the Zone. Curious if it’s something that the devs bend on.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Based on previews, I had assumed Pacific Drive was an open world survivalcrafty game like Subnautica or The Forest, except with car repair instead of base building. Sounds like I was pretty far off, given all the mentions of checkpoints and missions. Especially intrigued by the idea of a survival game not having combat, which has never been implemented well in any of the ones I've played.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Thoom posted:

Based on previews, I had assumed Pacific Drive was an open world survivalcrafty game like Subnautica or The Forest, except with car repair instead of base building. Sounds like I was pretty far off, given all the mentions of checkpoints and missions. Especially intrigued by the idea of a survival game not having combat, which has never been implemented well in any of the ones I've played.

There's a story, but it's very "at your own pace". You can be told to go to X town on the map to do the thing, but just gently caress off and explore the entire other direction (after the first couple tutorial missions). You can also just pull out of the garage and drive around the local roads to find stuff and experiment on your car. So while there is a seemingly linear story (I'm pretty early in so I haven't seen any decision points yet), you can also just spend your time doing what you want. And you kinda need to because just bee lining from one object to the next will leave you a little light on gear and upgrades to deal with stuff later on down the road.

As far as "not having combat": Well so far you don't have guns or powers, but you definitely have intense situations. Hopefully not spoilers: You do have enemies. There are floating collector things that will try to abduct your car. Bouncing herds of certain anomalies that will attack you with ambuses that you have to escape either by dodging the trap or racing away from them. It's not just "a sunday drive with a weird vista to enjoy". poo poo goes wrong and you have to deal with it. But you're not crafting a shotgun from bubble gum, two sticks, and a sun dail to hunt down a robot.

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 23, 2024

_____!
May 2, 2004

gently caress I was going to sit this one out since for once I have like 4 games I'm bouncing between but y'all convinced me. One of those games being S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so maybe I just have a thing for exclusion zones :v:

I also thought it was a Subnautica/the Forest-a-like so I'm guessing their marketing department might have been a little off.

\/\/\/\/ Hmm that's an interesting way of putting it! I never really got the impression of base building from the trailer, more the survival aspect. Either way it looks like I know what I'm playing this weekend.

_____! fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 23, 2024

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

_____! posted:

gently caress I was going to sit this one out since for once I have like 4 games I'm bouncing between but y'all convinced me. One of those games being S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so maybe I just have a thing for exclusion zones :v:

I also thought it was a Subnautica/the Forest-a-like so I'm guessing their marketing department might have been a little off.

Yeah, it's not really a base builder like those. It's more like an extraction shooter, without the shooting. Extraction driver. Go in, get your loot, maybe accomplish a story objective, try to make it out alive. Then you go back to your home garage and upgrade your car and certain workstations in the garage itself.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I was driving in my shitbox, picked up an arc orb thing, then noticed an abductor floating towards me, it grabbed my car, dragged it into the woods, into the path of a chainsaw blade anomaly thing that loving wrecked my car, and as i limped away i drove into a batch of broken bunnies, which leap and stick to your car and make it do all hosed up things like turn the lights on and off, brake or accelerate, honk the horn and poo poo. it was so intense lol. i hopped out and ripped them off my car and sped off into the extraction point but man my heart was racing.

love this game

theres'a fairly large tech tree and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Windowkill

quote:

Windowkill is a twin-stick shooter, but the game window itself is constantly closing in on you. Shoot the window edges to push it around your screen as you fight and dodge enemies and bosses in their own windows.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257001440/movie480_vp9.webm
100% out of 26. 10% launch discount.