Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

my cat is norris posted:

any thoughts on who's behind the ice breath/blast because i hope it's something cool

It's an original Legendary Titan called Shimo. There's lot's of pictures out there of them already so I've no idea why they hid it for the trailer.

They are who originally encased Ghidorah in ice too.

More exciting but unrelated to the above is that Mothra is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

my cat is norris posted:

any thoughts on who's behind the ice breath/blast because i hope it's something cool

There’s toys / promotional images of it out there if you know what to look for. (Obvious spoilers ahead) It’s name is Shimo and it’s a more of a 4-legged Godzilla variation and way bigger than Godzilla. Also cleverly hidden in the trailer is Mothra

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1758177240775331911?t=J0eKrsj8kIGxX5J3NRRwMQ&s=19

Getting a lot of use out of one side of one ship. I'm glad that the vfx artists are talking about the cool stuff they did to complete shots in Minus One.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FooF posted:

Yeah that’s the cardinal sin of the movie: you made Godzilla feel small. The only time you should ever attempt that is to highlight the sheer amount of destruction he’s caused (Shin did this to great effect). But, now, you have kaiju-sized amphitheaters with 200 foot-tall monkeys that, yes, looks like a normal thing for normal people to do.

The cast, the plot, etc., can be overlooked as schlock but don’t rob Big G of the “big” part.

This is why Gamera: Guardian of The Universe was like a bomb going off to the kaiju community back when it came out. Godzilla films were losing a sense of scale really and so when Gyaos and Gamera come along and we see them from the human point of view it really gave a greater sense of scale and danger.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The video where those FX shots are from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4pi1F25sxg

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1758177240775331911?t=J0eKrsj8kIGxX5J3NRRwMQ&s=19

Getting a lot of use out of one side of one ship. I'm glad that the vfx artists are talking about the cool stuff they did to complete shots in Minus One.

Tom Cruise and/or pretty much every Hollywood studio if they'd promoted it:

"There's no CGI! All the ships were real, everything is in camera!"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The video where those FX shots are from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4pi1F25sxg

thats a rad behind the scenes look

and its narrated by godzilla

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"How do we make it look like the ship is pulling out of the harbour when we can't move the set?"

"Have you tried moving the camera instead?"

It's so simple it should be obvious and yet its so brilliant at the same time.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i learnt this from a show called star trek

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://x.com/BettyQian344066/status/1758309500921217111?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Godzilla has three lines of plates down his back, that guy only has one. So he's a completely unique original character.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Tom Cruise and/or pretty much every Hollywood studio if they'd promoted it:

"There's no CGI! All the ships were real, everything is in camera!"

Cruise would insist on creating Godzilla in real life for the added authenticity.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Godzilla has three lines of plates down his back, that guy only has one. So he's a completely unique original character.

But still, run like it's Godzilla!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mantis42 posted:

But still, run like it's Godzilla!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh isn't that the dude from Heroes? Whatever happened to him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shageletic posted:

in 2002 he had a small but memorable role in Austin Powers: Goldmember

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Shageletic posted:

He got stuck in the Hawaii Five-O mines for like a decade.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1758620400294977719?t=gNS4dggK36bLeFyy8qfP4g&s=19

Looks cool. Hopefully it's a proper restoration and not some of those really bad upscale jobs.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There already is a 4K UHD of Godzilla 1954 in Japan, and it’s only a couple years old. I’m assuming that this is just a theatrical release.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1758620400294977719?t=gNS4dggK36bLeFyy8qfP4g&s=19

Looks cool. Hopefully it's a proper restoration and not some of those really bad upscale jobs.

I'd be interested if it is.

Saw the original Godzilla in a library where they'd set up a projector and a small screen, complete with a little talk about the historical context (either before or after, it's been a few years). Wouldn't mind seeing it again with a larger crowd.

Also, that VFX doc is really neat. Lower budgets tend to make for more interesting behind the scenes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok Adam I’ll let you cook (still think this movie’s going to be dumb as hell)

https://x.com/callmejaiden54/status/1758913428536856996?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kong also has a metal tooth lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean, if they keep going this route we will eventually get a Legendary Mecha Kong

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CelticPredator posted:

kong also has a metal tooth lol

Imagine getting dental insurance as a giant gorilla. Gotta be a pain in the rear end.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
making a gold tooth for kong would be most of the worlds gold, wouldn't it?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

we can't even get dental care for our people but sure, whatever, give it to the monkey

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

he's trying to save the world from shimu the ice princess i think he earns free dental

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

he's trying to save the world from shimu the ice princess i think he earns free dental

KING KONG NEEDS DENTAL PLAN

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Imagine being the guy at Fort Knox who has to fill out the paperwork to requisition a portion of the strategic gold reserve to make a gold tooth for a giant gorilla, just shaking your head at how goddamn stupid the whole world has become ever since those giant robot-bugs almost nuked San Francisco.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe the hollow world is chock-full of gold and they decided to use it all up making a tooth for Kong to avoid the world economy from collapsing

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe the hollow world is chock-full of gold and they decided to use it all up making a tooth for Kong to avoid the world economy from collapsing

...well now this is just making me wish for a heist movie centered around trying to steal the giant gold tooth out of King Kong's mouth.

It's been a while since we had a full-on heist plot in a kaiju movie, Dogora was back in the 60s. I guess the Heisei Godzilla vs Mothra movie had some Indiana Jones poo poo, but that's different

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

...well now this is just making me wish for a heist movie centered around trying to steal the giant gold tooth out of King Kong's mouth.

It's been a while since we had a full-on heist plot in a kaiju movie, Dogora was back in the 60s. I guess the Heisei Godzilla vs Mothra movie had some Indiana Jones poo poo, but that's different

They should do an adaptation of that Kaiju Heist comic about a team trying to pull off a heist under the cover of a Kaiju attack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just imagining that the Skar King attacks humanity because they discovered all the natural resources within the hollow earth and want his own gold reserves.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

making a gold tooth for kong would be most of the worlds gold, wouldn't it?

No, there are almost 200,000 metric tons of already mined gold

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
When do Godzilla x Kong tickets go on sale? I have a feeling IMAX opening weekend is going to be competitive after Minus One.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Shneak posted:

When do Godzilla x Kong tickets go on sale? I have a feeling IMAX opening weekend is going to be competitive after Minus One.

It will not be. This film is probably going to perform quite badly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PriorMarcus posted:

Why would you say that? The previous movies all did well, and the trailers have lots of engagement, and the dumb horrible Monarch show is still near the top of the AppleTV charts. What evidence do you have? That you personally don't like it?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nobody would ever deign to watch a kinda lame Godzilla movie just for the janky spectacle, nope, never gonna happen.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

The general mass public are not the same kind of Godzilla fans that we insane people are. I may think it looks really dumb and bad but fun but if I was 10 years old now like when I saw Godzilla vs. Megalon in the theater I would be making GBS threads my pants at how loving awesome it looks and want to see G & KK team up to beat the poo poo out of evil monkey.