Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Mays told police "that he drew a gun first, in a crowd of people with kids, picked one of the individuals in the group [he was arguing with] at random, and started shooting, all because they said, 'I’m going to get you' and to him, that meant, 'I’m going to kill you,'" the probable cause affidavit said.

Mays said he fired two shots and said other people started shooting after he did, the court document said.

Miller said after he heard gunshots and saw a man shooting at him, he returned fire, according to the probable cause statement. Miller said he estimated he fired four to five shots, according to court documents.

When police asked Mays why he "advanced" on the other group in the first place, Mays "replied, 'Stupid, man. Just pulled a gun out and started shooting. I shouldn’t have done that. Just being stupid,'" the probable cause affidavit said.

"When reminded that the person Lyndell Mays was shooting at was running away from him, Lyndell Mays replied, 'I know,'" the probable cause affidavit said.

Miller and Mays were both shot, according to court documents, and both men remain in the hospital, Baker said. They are being held on a $1 million bond, according to Baker.

Two juvenile suspects were taken into custody last week on gun-related charges and resisting arrest, officials said.

I wonder how many shooters there were in total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Vas rarely posts anymore.

Well, for what it's worth I liked reading them or him talking about them.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder how many shooters there were in total.
Just another armed patriot exercising their right to self-defense against another armed patriot exercising their right to self-defense against another armed patriot exercising their right to self-defense against another armed patriot exercising their right to self-defense against...

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Cugel the Clever posted:

Just another armed patriot exercising their right to self-defense against another armed patriot exercising their right to self-defense against another armed patriot exercising their right to self-defense against another armed patriot exercising their right to self-defense against...

Wait, don't forget the paper bag test. It's the difference between self defense and gang violence.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wrong Theory posted:

But! But! something something culture, builds character, new softer army/marine corps something something

I’m not a vet and not very close to the military even in my country, but this reminded me of a question I’ve had for a while; lmk if I should just shut up and lurk.

Some years/decades ago, I distinctly recall a marketing campaign around the slogan “Army of One”. It always confused me because AIUI the whole big deal about a professional military is that they know how to work together, and esprit de corps and suchlike seem like a big part of military training and culture.

How was that campaign perceived in the Army or other forces? What obvious thing have I missed?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

I’m not a vet and not very close to the military even in my country, but this reminded me of a question I’ve had for a while; lmk if I should just shut up and lurk.

Some years/decades ago, I distinctly recall a marketing campaign around the slogan “Army of One”. It always confused me because AIUI the whole big deal about a professional military is that they know how to work together, and esprit de corps and suchlike seem like a big part of military training and culture.

How was that campaign perceived in the Army or other forces? What obvious thing have I missed?

Marines made fun of it because of the emphasis on removing the individual in marine corps recruit training but lol Marines

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Flikken posted:

Wait, don't forget the paper bag test. It's the difference between self defense and gang violence.

Well, there was the 2015 Waco Twin Peaks shootout between outlaw biker gangs.

Although, nobody was ever actually convicted for that one in the end. So there's that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Subjunctive posted:

Recruiting campaigns have little impact for people actually in the Army. The (very few) references I remember to it from my time in were sarcastic, largely because of how contradictory it was with stated Army values.

Picture the impact of your old high school's homecoming pep rally on you, after you've gotten your bachelor's and are doing your Master's out of state. That's about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GD_American posted:

Recruiting campaigns have little impact for people actually in the Army. The (very few) references I remember to it from my time in were sarcastic, largely because of how contradictory it was with stated Army values.

Picture the impact of your old high school's homecoming pep rally on you, after you've gotten your bachelor's and are doing your Master's out of state. That's about it.

oh yeah, I didn’t expect that it was shifting the culture or anything, just curious about how the prominence of the individual was perceived within the institutions

thank you!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

oh yeah, I didn’t expect that it was shifting the culture or anything, just curious about how the prominence of the individual was perceived within the institutions

thank you!

I had an actual piece of uniform gear that had ARMY STRONG on it. It can get silly from time to time

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Subjunctive posted:

thank you!

it was dumb because if i'm One then I got no one else to abuse

as a marketing campaigns go you cant get any better than the Marines with slaying dragons

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhioeOeOHsA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Our strategy: erode the quality of life for people outside the military so it looks better in comparison

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I'm in the US Air Force and it sure seemed weird to me. I get that the Army was trying to advance the idea that a soldier should be tough and capable of operating with minimal support, but you're right. It goes against the basic formation of the military unit as a team.

But then, I can't really throw stones from inside a glass house. There was a period of time when the USAF used the recruiting slogan "It's not science fiction, it's what we do every day," which accompanied advertisements that were obviously science fiction. Unless we now have VTOL transforming cargo planes and I missed that memo.

"Be all that you can be" really is a good aspirational slogan to return to. They dropped the cheesy song for the new commercials, though. It was catchy as hell back when I was a teenager. Did I join the Army? No way. But I loved the jingle!

Edit: and I guess a whole bunch of potential recruits also thought it was dumb, because the US Army ditched the slogan after only a few years (after decades with 'Be all you can be') and replaced it with 'Army Strong'
https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna15197720

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 21, 2024

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The Royal Navy has just had it 2nd trident test in a row fail during flight. Considering this is a 'co-mingled' pool of missiles shared with America, then maybe its a wider issue and not specific to the Royal Navy's boomers.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The Navy's recruiting slogan right now is "Forged by the Sea", because if there's one thing that's great for making good metal it's salt water.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Navy's recruiting slogan right now is "Forged by the Sea", because if there's one thing that's great for making good metal it's salt water.

Forged into Rust.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's consistent with the Navy's internal branding at least.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Elviscat posted:

It's consistent with the Navy's internal branding at least.

Don’t discuss hazing rituals, you’ll trigger somebody

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Arc Light posted:

I'm in the US Air Force and it sure seemed weird to me. I get that the Army was trying to advance the idea that a soldier should be tough and capable of operating with minimal support, but you're right. It goes against the basic formation of the military unit as a team.

But then, I can't really throw stones from inside a glass house. There was a period of time when the USAF used the recruiting slogan "It's not science fiction, it's what we do every day," which accompanied advertisements that were obviously science fiction. Unless we now have VTOL transforming cargo planes and I missed that memo.

"Be all that you can be" really is a good aspirational slogan to return to. They dropped the cheesy song for the new commercials, though. It was catchy as hell back when I was a teenager. Did I join the Army? No way. But I loved the jingle!

Edit: and I guess a whole bunch of potential recruits also thought it was dumb, because the US Army ditched the slogan after only a few years (after decades with 'Be all you can be') and replaced it with 'Army Strong'
https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna15197720

Similarly I grew up seeing “Aim High, Air Force” ads (and my dad was in the USAF) which was a great recruiting slogan. The science fiction thing was dumb and I don’t even know what they’re using these days.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hannibal posted:

Similarly I grew up seeing “Aim High, Air Force” ads (and my dad was in the USAF) which was a great recruiting slogan. The science fiction thing was dumb and I don’t even know what they’re using these days.

The Air Force. The least worst of all the branches.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Space force seems pretty chill, they're still in the "What are you guys responsible for again?" phase.

AF was "No one comes close" around when I came in as seen in this classic : https://youtu.be/3m4mnIFWi9o?si=QsYrGWuWIVuEQeCq

nullscan fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 21, 2024

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

hannibal posted:

Most of the AF ads I see focus on the not-flying part, which I guess makes sense since that's like 95% of the jobs. Also, a lot of focus on their ground security team, which seems odd. Not sure who is going to join the USAF to scratch their SOF itch.

I forget what branch it is, or if it's all branches, but the "convince your mom that she should let you join" ads that have run recently hit really weird, but that may be because I'm a parent of recruitable kids, not a recruitable kid myself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Did anybody else's units in the Air Force do the 'Warrior Airmen: Fly, Fight, Wing!' crap where they went on and on about every Airman a warrior before we all went back to jockeying in front a computer while waiting for a flight to land to go fix another broken VHF/UHF radio?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'll consider myself as having done my part. I've had sit-down talks with four different people I was friends or family with and convinced them not to join. Want that trend to reverse? Maybe change the things that sucked poo poo for no good reason and I won't be able to tell my story to other people anymore. As long as people have to spend their time in the barracks putting up the "inspection decoy fake garbage can" to get some angry shithead NCO off their dick on the weekend and get some peace then, welp, sucks to suck.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

bird food bathtub posted:

I'll consider myself as having done my part. I've had sit-down talks with four different people I was friends or family with and convinced them not to join. Want that trend to reverse? Maybe change the things that sucked poo poo for no good reason and I won't be able to tell my story to other people anymore. As long as people have to spend their time in the barracks putting up the "inspection decoy fake garbage can" to get some angry shithead NCO off their dick on the weekend and get some peace then, welp, sucks to suck.

I work with a lot of veterans. Every time they swap stories about poo poo they dealt with I always end up saying some variant of "guess I need to call my uncle and thank him again for talking me out of enlisting." Without fail everyone agrees that my uncle was a smart man who gave me good advice.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Big hugs to GIP for convincing me not to enlist on an 18X contract back in 2010.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Ive got a nephew looking to re-up and reclass from 11b to 25b. I don't know anything about army IT, but I suspect it's a lot of weekend call outs so that majors at HHCs can print out a PowerPoint. Is that a good move and do any security clearances come with that job? I'm trying to convince him that if he does make the mistake of reenlisting that he gets a) a marketable skill and b) a security clearance out of it

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Ive got a nephew looking to re-up and reclass from 11b to 25b. I don't know anything about army IT, but I suspect it's a lot of weekend call outs so that majors at HHCs can print out a PowerPoint. Is that a good move and do any security clearances come with that job? I'm trying to convince him that if he does make the mistake of reenlisting that he gets a) a marketable skill and b) a security clearance out of it

It’s probably a step up from infantry, but that bar is set so low that Satan himself would have to put some actual effort into digging it up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

A.o.D. posted:

25B comes with secret by itself, and depending on billet/needs you can get sponsored for TS. If possible I'd say look in to 35T. That jumps straight to TS and also looks great on a lot of resumes, it's just a much smaller MOS by numbers so slots can be hot for competition.

Plus Fort Huachuca can suck a bag of dicks.

25B is absolutely a great stepping stone to being a well paid computer toucher with clearance on the outside. Biggest thing that needs to be done to smooth the transition is to get certifications and a degree before you get out if at all possible. When you're wearing the green suit the only thing that matters is your MOS. Once you're out on the open market the certifications determine which jobs you can apply for and the degree checks the boxes for HR.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I originally thought that nutcase Alabama Supreme Court ruling was just related to lawsuits on egregious cases where the IVF lab hosed up, but nope. The opinion and concurrence basically kills IVF in the state and the University of Roll Tide has already stopped IVF actions:

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1760347241989251304?s=19

Hooray theocracy!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I am a littpe confused on what they are trying to accomplish here. This is fertility treqtment not contraception.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A.o.D. posted:

25B really pays off if he follows through with the various "computer toucher" certifications beyond what they immediately require. If they follow through, it sets them up for success on the way out for both federal employment/contracting and the civilian market.

If possible, I would attempt to steer them towards either a 35 series as already suggested or one of the more specialized 25 series (25B is the "entry level" with the exception of 25L, if they still exist).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bird food bathtub posted:

25B comes with secret by itself, and depending on billet/needs you can get sponsored for TS. If possible I'd say look in to 35T. That jumps straight to TS and also looks great on a lot of resumes, it's just a much smaller MOS by numbers so slots can be hot for competition.

Plus Fort Huachuca can suck a bag of dicks.

25B is absolutely a great stepping stone to being a well paid computer toucher with clearance on the outside. Biggest thing that needs to be done to smooth the transition is to get certifications and a degree before you get out if at all possible. When you're wearing the green suit the only thing that matters is your MOS. Once you're out on the open market the certifications determine which jobs you can apply for and the degree checks the boxes for HR.

Bare minimum make sure the lad gets his A+, Network+ and Sec+ certs. That and a clearance will land you on your feet when you get out. If he can get a CCNA too that icing on the IT cake.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Flikken posted:

I am a littpe confused on what they are trying to accomplish here. This is fertility treqtment not contraception.

facialimpediment posted:

Hooray theocracy!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Flikken posted:

If an embryo fails for whatever reason, AL considers that killing a child. Purely liability in the face of theocracy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Bare minimum make sure the lad gets his A+, Network+ and Sec+ certs. That and a clearance will land you on your feet when you get out. If he can get a CCNA too that icing on the IT cake.

I'm an IT infrastructure guy, not a computer toucher, so this post was really helpful. I know what these things are, but they're not a direct part of my life. I can plan and layout the cable requirements for an entire facility, but don't ask me to remote into a switch to diagnose it. Do ask me to troubleshoot the cabling itself, though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

I'm an IT infrastructure guy, not a computer toucher, so this post was really helpful. I know what these things are, but they're not a direct part of my life. I can plan and layout the cable requirements for an entire facility, but don't ask me to remote into a switch to diagnose it. Do ask me to troubleshoot the cabling itself, though.

We basically the same then. High-5!

Side note we just troubleshot a bad line and found rodent damage to some copper. When they searched further they found a pack rat nest with about 20 packages of nuts and trailmix from the vending machine.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Flikken posted:

Well you see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The dumb religious argument in play (other than gently caress you heathen floozies):

https://twitter.com/FrMatthewLC/status/1759283123064623324?t=QpY6gp_4DYVdReJ_0HMysA&s=19

I'm still awaiting the medical analysis articles that I'll probably hate-click on. But the early indications are that to make IVF Alabama-legal, every single egg has to be treated as viable, and implanted accordingly, even if it has no chance of developing (at $30K a pop). IVF poo poo is also complicated as hell and requires lots of follow-ups, so it's not really a procedure you can just head over to a neighboring state to go get and come back.