Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean ultimately, posters are a finite resource. It's not like they're making more of us.

I guess I just feel, be a little patient with weird bullshit- considering we are as a collective a pile of weird bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Going from one controversial topic to another I see…

Some DS9 fans really love the Vic Fontaine shenanigans episodes. But I’m firmly in the camp of wishing that Star Trek never introduced the holodeck, it’s a lazy excuse to interject C-tier period drama plots into a sci-fi show just to fill airtime and re-use sets/costumes from other productions.

The holodeck, the transporter, and the replicator are the holy trifecta of "we didn't really think through the implications of introducing these things." I can forgive the transporter a little since it was allegedly done for budget reasons, but the other two are ON NOTICE.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

At least if you're in the last 10 episodes, then iirc it's like the final 8 that all build up the finale storyline. The filler is over with. It's not like the other trek series where you get a stand-alone adventure the week before the major event of the series.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

No Mods No Masters posted:

I mean ultimately, posters are a finite resource. It's not like they're making more of us.

I guess I just feel, be a little patient with weird bullshit- considering we are as a collective a pile of weird bullshit

It’s been several years of constant attention seeking though, it was time for it to end.

Glad to have him here as a regular poster, but the stuff about his channel belongs somewhere else.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Molothecat posted:

that post is way more embarrassing than anything xjakk has done

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lister posted:

At least if you're in the last 10 episodes, then iirc it's like the final 8 that all build up the finale storyline. The filler is over with. It's not like the other trek series where you get a stand-alone adventure the week before the major event of the series.

Dunno what changed in the circumstances surrounding DS9's production compared to TNG but yeah they allowed for way more non-syndication-friendly sequential storytelling and the series was better for it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Please sgay on topic and only discuss RLM. Now here's a seven paragraph post about Star Trek Deep Space 9, the one Star Trek series that RLM never discusses

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FeculentWizardTits posted:

The holodeck, the transporter, and the replicator are the holy trifecta of "we didn't really think through the implications of introducing these things." I can forgive the transporter a little since it was allegedly done for budget reasons, but the other two are ON NOTICE.

One of the most refreshing things about Orville is lack of transporters. Stargate deserves special commendation for having transporters but they have far more limitations than Star Trek’s to the point it never comes off as silly that they aren’t always just using them

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dunno what changed in the circumstances surrounding DS9's production compared to TNG but yeah they allowed for way more non-syndication-friendly sequential storytelling and the series was better for it.

It’s because Voyager, and before it TNG, were the big important star treks (especially Voyager being a UPN flagship) that the producers were desperate to put their mark on. While DS9 was always “that other one.” They were just able to get away with more because they had less interference.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 21, 2024

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

colonelwest posted:

It’s been several years of constant attention seeking though, it was time for it to end.

Glad to have him here as a regular poster, but the stuff about his channel belongs somewhere else.

thank you for your service

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Meltdown May arrives early

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Monkey Fracas posted:

The writers pretty much just brute-forced it because they wanted to. It was kind of like that Mel Brooks anecdote about eagerly accepting studio notes and then simply ignoring them after they left the room.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

colonelwest posted:

And I'm fine with that. I basically just don't really like to see regulars run off for non-being a fuckin creep reasons. We've lost too many good ones to really dumb bullshit already, rip hodor/that dick/cowcaster

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KakerMix posted:

whining about their posting experience in the RLM thread in GBS on Something Awful,

*pants u for whining*

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The holodeck as it was introduced in TNG Season 1 wasn't too bad, it was just like a rudimentary MMO hub looking thing. The problems really started with Moriarty. The idea that the ship's computer can create sapient life, trivially, without even realizing what is happening is concerning. And no one gives it a second thought. The show(s) never even try to distinguish when a hologram is actually alive and when it's just a WoW NPC, it's just whichever one the plot needs, then Voyager goes down it's 'Holographics Rights' path and still doesn't bother making any kind of distinction.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Yeah, they collectively break the world building and have very little internal logic. The replicator is really funny, because if you take it at face value as a matter-energy converter and don’t form your own head canon about it being an advanced 3D printer, then you have to accept that a wall appliance is processing the equivalent of a nuclear bomb’s worth of energy every time Picard orders up a cup of Earl Grey.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

colonelwest posted:

Molothecat posted:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Monkey Fracas posted:

The internet lore is that Ron Moore really liked serialized plots, which were almost unheard of at the time. He kept pushing for it and Brega was against it, but Brega and other higher ups got more and more focused on Voyager and didn't really pay attention at all to DS9 so Moore just did it anyways and they didn't notice.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Molothecat posted:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Reversal of fortune his rear end and give him a 30 day instead of the 1 day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Screw Borderlands 3, I’ve been playing the new Deep Rock Galactic spinoff game (Survivors) and I want something with those sassy dwarves bitching about their supervisor. Seriously I’ve heard all the lines hundreds of times and they’re still charming.

Actually no don’t need a show or anything the games are enough :haw:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
A while back on the discord we watched a movie that was entirely about some mining dwarfs trapped in a cave in and it was up there with the most boring thing I've ever watched.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Vakal posted:

A while back on the discord we watched a movie that was entirely about some mining dwarfs trapped in a cave in and it was up there with the most boring thing I've ever watched.

Did they kiss?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Vakal posted:

Dwarves of demrel?

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I am xjakk
I am also jenny

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

You either die an XJakk
Or live long enough to see yourself become a Jenny

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

DebonaireD posted:

I am xjakk
I am also jenny

I'm so sorry

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

First they came for XJakk...

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Monkey Fracas posted:

there's... something so tantalizing... about.. Data... dressing up... I... want them...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm less annoyed at brent refusing to wear the makeup for picard if it was apparently loving up his eye so badly that it shows up on the blurays

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Molothecat posted:

:hmmyes:

xjakk I like having you here as a regular poster/the Salacious Crumb of this thread, but there are like a dozen threads on the forums that are a much better fit for posting your content than here, such as the youtubers thread in RGD

poisonpill posted:

You either die an XJakk
Or live long enough to see yourself become a Jenny

no, let’s be completely honest, xjakk’s channel is never gonna make Jenny money with its current format, but I get the sense that xjakk is not in it for the Jenny money he’s in it to do xjakk things in front of a consenting audience of strangers

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ

They made this look just as annoying as the games, if not more so :chloe:

Pass!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
that kid who reviews fast food while wearing ill-fitting thrifted suits has almost twice as many youtube subscribers as RLM, so I won't dissuade anyone from making weird nonsense on the chance that they eventually find a niche that works.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't know if the suits are ill fitting so much as sized according to outdated fashion standards. I mean he's pretty particular about them.

Into the x jakk void rush the blighted report of the week posters

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 21, 2024

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

XJakk videos are nearly always breaking down and criticizing some piece of media. This thread is exactly the place to post his vids you guys are insane. It's the "critics discussing media" and also "here's what's going on in the film industry" thread.

I know this is true because if it was enforcedly about RLM we wouldn't be able to talk about DS9, Madam Webb, or a bunch of other poo poo the boys don't bring up.

Mods only care because they have to respond to reports. You whiny asses are clogging their inbox with your snitch stank because you want to curate this thread in private. Cowardly. If you feel so strongly about it then post your exact criteria about what non-RLM poo poo is allowed in here, in full. Walk into that big glass house and become the thread arbiter.

Or, you know, just scroll past a post once in a while.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ

They made this look just as annoying as the games, if not more so :chloe:

Pass!

Yikes. Sadly, I have a feeling I know what 40% of the people at Burning Man 2025 will be wearing now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sure okay posted:

XJakk videos are nearly always breaking down and criticizing some piece of media. This thread is exactly the place to post his vids you guys are insane. It's the "critics discussing media" and also "here's what's going on in the film industry" thread.

I know this is true because if it was enforcedly about RLM we wouldn't be able to talk about DS9, Madam Webb, or a bunch of other poo poo the boys don't bring up.

no it isn’t. there is an entire universe of media/film critic youtubers that will get you yelled at and probably probated if you post them here because they aren’t RLM

like what are you talking about, do you see anybody ever posting another film critique or news channel here?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lindsay was always a comparatively noncontroversial friend of the thread, but granted she's been in the nebula shadow realm a few years. Dan olsen when he chances to make movie related stuff, ralph or georg once in a blue moon. I guess those are the main ones

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Those people dont post here. But also, maybe people should post those who loving cares. If you think its worth sharing why not? You paid you ten bucks, youre a part of this community, if you think someone is as good as RLM or Kermode or Jenny if thats your thing lets see it.

What exactly will happen if this thread goes from 60 posts per day to 90? Will it go back in loving time?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
This thread is in GBS which means :justpost:

If you want a curated RLM only discussion then perhaps it should be moved to the true home, Cinema Discusso. It's only fair, wouldn't want the thread to stray from its topic which is "pretty much anything but not that girl and also not that guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

KakerMix posted:

This thread is in GBS which means :justpost:

If you want a curated RLM only discussion then perhaps it should be moved to the true home, Cinema Discusso. It's only fair, wouldn't want the thread to stray from its topic which is "pretty much anything but not that girl and also not that guy"

God I remember when some deranged individual tried to make that happen. That was a briefly traumatic experience. It's always just a handful of whiners, some people really want to be cops I guess.