Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Don't even bother buying an espresso machine if you're going to used preground coffee in a pressurized portafilter lol
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
brb, gatekeeping motherfucking coffee in yospos

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Chris Knight posted:

tbh it's good advice, i ain't gonna spill any amount on an espresso machine until i got a good grinder for it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

I mean I guess what I should have said is that you can just get any grinder and a cheap espresso machine and it will still be sort of ok, it just won't be really good espresso.

Feel free to get a cheap espresso machine/grinder if you don't care or be prepared to spend $1000+ but don't waste money between those two ranges trying to think you can cheap out and still get real espresso, or start with cheap stuff and upgrade your way to real espresso little by little somehow.

If you're using a cheap machine with a pressurized portafilter the grind doesn't even matter that much, so don't waste your money buying a $200 grinder that still won't be good enough for real espresso.

On the other hand, if you just want good coffee, there are a lot of cheaper ways to get that than pursuing espresso, and for other types of coffee, slightly upgrading your grinder might make a difference, just don't think it will be good enough for espresso.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 20, 2024

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
making coffee

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nobody Interesting posted:

these are all 4 digits so i guess it is safe to assume that espresso is not a thing we should get into until we're mega serious about it

amazon is aggressively promoting this at me but i assume $200 is bad

Breville do the best espresso as appliance. The Breville Batista Express has an inbuilt grinder and is $700 AUD so should be less over there.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

mystes posted:

I mean I guess what I should have said is that you can just get any grinder and a cheap espresso machine and it will still be sort of ok, it just won't be really good espresso.

Feel free to get a cheap espresso machine/grinder if you don't care or be prepared to spend $1000+ but don't waste money between those two ranges trying to think you can cheap out and still get real espresso, or start with cheap stuff and upgrade your way to real espresso little by little somehow.

If you're using a cheap machine with a pressurized portafilter the grind doesn't even matter that much, so don't waste your money buying a $200 grinder that still won't be good enough for real espresso.

On the other hand, if you just want good coffee, there are a lot of cheaper ways to get that than pursuing espresso, and for other types of coffee, slightly upgrading your grinder might make a difference, just don't think it will be good enough for espresso.

really all we do want is a better latte base than what an aeropress can do. and also milk steaming.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

and then i want to make scrambled eggs on my cappuccino machine

mystes
May 31, 2006

really all we do want is a better latte base than what an aeropress can do. and also milk steaming.
If that's all you want then a cheap one will probably be fine

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

mystes posted:

If that's all you want then a cheap one will probably be fine

It probably won't even make a full 9 bar

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Megabound posted:

Breville do the best espresso as appliance. The Breville Batista Express has an inbuilt grinder and is $700 AUD so should be less over there.

i see it for $1000 CAD. seeing as it has a built in grinder that might honestly be the best possible deal, especially since we're not trying to become baristas, we just want to buy few coffee shop lattes. we've easily spent $1000 on just loving starbucks in the past 5 years.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

i see it for $1000 CAD. seeing as it has a built in grinder that might honestly be the best possible deal, especially since we're not trying to become baristas, we just want to buy few coffee shop lattes. we've easily spent $1000 on just loving starbucks in the past 5 years.

Yeah, you can spend less but I think that's the least you can spend and still get a good espresso at the end of it. The Breville machines have good communities around them so if you get deeper into it there's mods that people to like adjusting the over pressure valve to get higher pressures, making the grinder stepless and installing PIDs. You don't need to go that far but if you do end up really getting into espresso it's nice to have a machine you can work on.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

oh hey my tax refund is projected to be $1k

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imo a good grinder is the most important thing. They make cheap grinders with real conical burrs and they can grind super fine, but the problem with them is they cant grind consistently. they have plastic adjustment mechanisms to save money which means every time you change the grind setting its so loose that you cant go back and forth between settings reliably.

You can spend a little less by getting a hand grinder like a 1zpresso j(x)-pro. They're excellent grinders, but you have to decide if the convenience of good electric grinder is worth it to you.

there are cheap machines that can still give you good coffee and take advantage of a good grinder, they've just got cheaper internals and accessories and dont hold up to long term every day use.

a gaggia classic (evo) pro is one of the most common entry level espresso machines and will last you forever as long as you descale it regularly (if you have hard water). They also have a huge community around them and loads of accessories and mods.

Whatever you get unless it comes with a good portafilter and basket, you're gonna want to replace it with a bottomless portalfilter and a VST or barista pro basket.

Theres a whole rabbit hole you can go down w/ accessories.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

oh hey my tax refund is projected to be $1k
:hmmyes:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
betrayed by coffee this afternoon. my old man gave me a bag of some coffee the other day without really thinking about it and i just made a cup of it. it stinks like booze and tastes like it has a shot of whisky in it and i quit drinking like 2 months ago so it's triggering all sorts of poo poo in my head. just looked at the bag and it's some bourbon barrel poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh no! bad beans. knock their grounds from your heels

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Large Testicles posted:

betrayed by coffee this afternoon. my old man gave me a bag of some coffee the other day without really thinking about it and i just made a cup of it. it stinks like booze and tastes like it has a shot of whisky in it and i quit drinking like 2 months ago so it's triggering all sorts of poo poo in my head. just looked at the bag and it's some bourbon barrel poo poo

Gross. Bin that poo poo and get some of the good stuff.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i use a $20 grinder and a mr coffee

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bought some fancy ethiopian beans which i can barely drink but a real enjoyer would probably go crazy over. the quadruple ipa coffee equivalent.

i mean, it's fine, i'll drink it, but i think i am kind of wasting it in doing so.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

my lil kyocera hand grinder has worked perfectly on the daily for six years AND gets the blood pumpin a bit in the morn :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

hell yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i use a $5 filter cone and i make the coffee shop grind it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

my lil kyocera hand grinder has worked perfectly on the daily for six years AND gets the blood pumpin a bit in the morn :)
a hand grinder wouldn't be my first choice, but as they say, kyo cera cera

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

wisdom

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mystes posted:

Lmfao

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i finally ran out of the costco beans a cousin gave me and returned to my usual. it's so much smoother and more pleasant to drink. the difference is palpable

all said, i won't say no to a free big bag of decent beans from costco

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
coffee thread: kyocera, cera

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

coffee thread: kyocera, cera

whatever will bean will bean

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the pitcher is ours to drink

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Large Testicles posted:

This sucks and I'm sorry that happened to you, hopefully you can reconcile with coffee amicably very soon and I hope that it was incompetence not malice that brought these beans to you

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

been a while since i ordered the good beans but they are on the way

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
would you look at that, it's time to drink coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im drinking coffee

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i had some coffee today

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ugh I made my after lunch espresso wrong

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm having coffee right now

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i just got back from the store and got a bag of the good stuff, gonna make a french press and enjoy a couple cups

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

ugh I made my after lunch espresso wrong

it's still coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

it's still coffee
that depends on how wrong