Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Enable unlock with Face ID under settings in the Bitwarden app, that way you won’t have to enter your bitwarden password every time you use it to auto fill.

Was hoping that wasn’t the case but I suppose it’s the same on Android, I was just used to scanning my finger since I didn’t have face scanning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, it's the same behavior on Android & iPhone with Bitwarden. I used my fingerprint to unlock when I had a Pixel 7 Pro, FaceID now that I have 15 Pro Max.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nuurd posted:

Thanks for the info on latency

I’ve never used a native CarPlay wireless, and only briefly saw one adapter that a friend owns. We have two vehicles wired CarPlay as comparison.

So far our results are consistent with the discussion above with different manufacturers and implementations. The 2016 VW implementation is better than the 2021 Toyota. But, neither have substantial delays in pausing audio, skipping tracks, usage of wheel controls.

Wireless carplay will make the latency show in stuff like turn by turn directions, with notifications and live position being delayed compared to wired. Audio or controls delay is non existent in both modes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My 12 Pro battery finally poo poo itself and the battery status says “service” now at 79%. The battery status page makes it really easy to book a froot stand appointment. Not really posting to post about my battery but i thought it was neat that you can just tap a button and instantly book the next available time slot, and it also quotes you a price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My 12 mini says Service and it is still at 81%.

For some reason, the Find Your Service Options is defaulting to Oyster Bay, NY. Which is not where I am.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It kinda sucks I have a 14 and I’m really not far behind you guys. Seems the batteries they used for this model haven’t been the best.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

My 12 mini says Service and it is still at 81%.

For some reason, the Find Your Service Options is defaulting to Oyster Bay, NY. Which is not where I am.

Is your last name Roosevelt?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My 15 Pro says its maximum capacity is 100%. I’m not sure how that is possible; I’ve had it since launch and I abuse the poo poo out of the battery.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vegetable posted:

My 15 Pro says its maximum capacity is 100%. I’m not sure how that is possible; I’ve had it since launch and I abuse the poo poo out of the battery.

Not all batteries are created equal, they have to meet a minimum threshold but you can also get ones way better than that. The really good ones will say 100% even if they’re really 120% of the set metric, and will then hit 99% when they start to dip below that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also the degredation is not perfectly linear. It will have jitters as the battery ages.

Temperatures play into it too. Hot temps worsen the oxidation.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Batteries are hosed up imo

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I disable this new(?) thing where pdfs have a banner telling me about autofill? I don’t want autofill. I keep closing the banner but it keeps suggesting I try out autofill.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Have you considered trying out autofill?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

withak posted:

Have you considered trying out autofill?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
My iphone 13 mini battery is poo poo. Battery life is at 87% and it’s dead by midday when I use it normally. Looking to get an OEM spec replacement. Do I need to go to apple for that? Any places in NYC that can do a good job for cheaper?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Go to the fruit stand.

Also I heard that Apple won’t do a replacement unless the battery health is below 80%? Might depend on the genius or whatever no idea.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Skeezy posted:

Go to the fruit stand.

Also I heard that Apple won’t do a replacement unless the battery health is below 80%? Might depend on the genius or whatever no idea.

What? Apple will let you buy a new battery all day every day if you want.

The battery is considered consumed at 80%, at which point they recommend a replacement.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also afaik it’s 80% for a warranty replacement but if you are just doing out of pocket it doesn’t matter.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Also afaik it’s 80% for a warranty replacement but if you are just doing out of pocket it doesn’t matter.

Maybe that's what I was confusing it with.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
ubreakifix wants $20 over apple, so i’ll just bite the bullet and make a drat appointment

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Head Bee Guy posted:

ubreakifix wants $20 over apple, so i’ll just bite the bullet and make a drat appointment

Do you feel adventurous?

https://selfservicerepair.com/en-US/order

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I think the battery replacement levels get picky with iPads since they just swap the whole thing. iPhone they do an actual battery swap.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I remember reading about that and how they make you pay a huge(?) security deposit to rent the tools.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Vegetable posted:

Timely: https://www.engadget.com/apple-says-the-iphone-15s-battery-has-double-the-promised-lifespan-213736866.html

quote:

Before today, Apple’s online support documents quoted iPhone batteries as maintaining 80 percent of their original full charge after 500 cycles. But after the company retested long-term battery health in its 2023 smartphones — iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max — it found they can retain 80 percent capacity after at least 1,000 cycles. The company said its support documents will be updated on Tuesday to reflect the new estimate.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The 14 seemed to lose almost 10% of "health" after a year of use, so I'm skeptical.

Or, even if it might be true that "health" is a measure of measure watt-hours versus nominal, it certainly doesn't seem that 90% health ~= 0.9× screen-on-hours and 80% ~= 0.8×.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

~Coxy posted:

The 14 seemed to lose almost 10% of "health" after a year of use, so I'm skeptical.

Or, even if it might be true that "health" is a measure of measure watt-hours versus nominal, it certainly doesn't seem that 90% health ~= 0.9× screen-on-hours and 80% ~= 0.8×.

Yeah, my 14 Pro is down to 89% now.

I get to about 38% by bedtime at 11 with moderate use throughout the day.

Have to take it in to a private repair shop as the charger is flakey. I normally wouldn't care but I need CarPlay. Apple was gonna charge $800+ CAD as they have to replace the whole board apparently. It's $125 at the shop just for the charger. It's weird though because at my friends it was charging perfectly and only not recognizing the cable a few times. But before it just stopped working in the car with 2 cables and at work a coworkers cable didnt work on mine but worked on their phones.

Stupid phones.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, my 14 Pro is down to 89% now.

I get to about 38% by bedtime at 11 with moderate use throughout the day.

Have to take it in to a private repair shop as the charger is flakey. I normally wouldn't care but I need CarPlay. Apple was gonna charge $800+ CAD as they have to replace the whole board apparently. It's $125 at the shop just for the charger. It's weird though because at my friends it was charging perfectly and only not recognizing the cable a few times. But before it just stopped working in the car with 2 cables and at work a coworkers cable didnt work on mine but worked on their phones.

Stupid phones.

When you say charger, are you referring to the brick plugged into the wall, or the charging port on your phone?

If it's the charging port, you might want to try cleaning it out if you haven't done so already.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder if this is in conjunction with the 80% charge setting.

Now that trade in credits are 36 months, 1000 cycles does make a huge difference over 500. I’m gonna be stuck with my 15 Pro until the 18 Pro (still at 100% after heavy use since launch day).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Apple just launched an Apple Sports app, to get scores and poo poo. The icon looks like poo poo, it doesn't have Dynamic Island or Apple Watch support, and it doesn't have support for NFL, NCAAF, NWSL, and WNBA leagues yet. It looks like it's only scores, and doesn't aggregate news or give breaking news notifications or anything. Plus the icon looks bad.

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/02/21/apple-sports-app-announced/

Not supporting Dynamic Island or Live Activities at launch seems like a felony.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 21, 2024

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been very happy with the CBS Sports app but I like that Apple's trying it out, maybe they'll eventually come up with something interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is no news service that does sports in any sensible way, at all. They all assume if you want any sports, you want ALL sports.

No, I do not care about MLB. Never have, never will. Please do not ever try to tempt me to read a story about or expose me to scores from yesterdays games. And mercy on your soul if you try to read any sports news during the NFL season.

So really, Apple loving this app up is just adhering to the standards of the rest of the industry.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Why would they support anything other than MLB and MLS? You can't watch the NFL on Apple TV+ so clearly its a loser sport.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they can banish sports news from the News app onto its own leper app island I'm 100% for it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Apple just launched an Apple Sports app, to get scores and poo poo. The icon looks like poo poo, it doesn't have Dynamic Island or Apple Watch support, and it doesn't have support for NFL, NCAAF, NWSL, and WNBA leagues yet. It looks like it's only scores, and doesn't aggregate news or give breaking news notifications or anything. Plus the icon looks bad.

I’m hopeful for this one because the other sports news/scores apps are ad-ridden pieces of poo poo and the ESPN app is especially bad at caching and updating in low-signal situations, such as when you’re at a drat game. I like that this one is clean and has no bullshit in it, just gotta add more features and more sports.

The app icon is indeed fugly though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems weird for Apple to build a basic rear end app with no clear monetization path. I feel like they typically only create apps for utilities or actual paid services.

I guess they’ll try to use this to get people to subscribe to Apple TV for sports.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think the app was made just because they needed somewhere to store that user's sports data. It didn't quite belong in the TV app and it didn't quite belong in the news app. It would have been really weird to put it into the settings app.

It's still an rear end app especially because of all the poo poo it's missing like Dynamic Island or Watch support. I'm not sure if it even does live notifications.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok I don’t want to say criminals are dumb because a lot of them aren’t but it seems like every week there’s a video of an Apple Store getting robbed in broad daylight when it’s most convenient imo. But I’m pretty sure these robbers know these units are all going to be locked so what happens to these stolen iPhones/ipads/macs? Are they being parted out? Is the money from that even worth the risk? Aren’t most Apple parts soft locked anyway to their T chip these days? Are there Apple chop shops?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Missing WNBA in the middle of their season is a bigger failure. You've got time to sort out the other three. Do WNBA now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speaking of Live Activities, Starbucks uses it now bringing the total number of apps that do to about 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Speaking of Live Activities, Starbucks uses it now bringing the total number of apps that do to about 4.

:laffo: Apple's page explaning live activites has one with sports scores as the example image