Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

lwe really think an outright majority of Americans aged 18-29 supports a 16 week abortion ban? And is in fact the demo most pro abortion ban?

This is why I’m rather skeptical of most of this early season polling that contains lots of counter intuitive stuff like this. Aside from “young people suddenly all became Christian fash in a one year period” I’m left to wonder about whether only wing nut young people answer these polls so they can say TRUMP and hang up the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

just eliminate districts entirely and divvy out reps based on popular vote

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You don't need to eliminate districts, single transferable vote maintains local districts while still being proportional.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are plenty of "hold your nose and vote" type Democrats who are former troops. Usually they're the "economic conservative social liberal" types though. Gabbard was all the way out there in my-church-hates-the-gays land all along, right?

Originally, yeah, but she backed off on a lot of that stuff after Obama won the presidency. She campaigned for gay marriage bans in the 00s, but in the 2010s she was a member of the House LGBT Equality Caucus in the 10s, backed plenty of pro-LGBT bills, and frequently apologized for her past anti-LGBT positions and rhetoric. She became a big up-and-coming Dem who spent some time as the vice-chair of the DNC, though she resigned that position when she endorsed Bernie Sanders in 2016.

And in the 2020s, she revealed that all of that backing off was completely fake and that she still held all those positions. For example, she complained that DeSantis' "Don't Say Gay" bill didn't go far enough in preventing the gays from "indoctrinating woke sexual values in our schools".

Personally, my read is that after seeing Obama win, she thought she had a shot at being president one day too, but she realized that her positions were unacceptable to the Dem electorate, and she wanted the presidency badly enough that she was willing to spend an entire decade hiding and apologizing for her regressive views and pretending to have become a progressive. Once her presidential ambitions were dashed, she dropped the mask.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

It's crazy how everything bad that happens is somehow the Democrats' fault. I do agree they should've used their 60-vote Senate supermajority to pass a SCOTUS reform bill in 2021, but I guess they are just too decorum poisoned.

Kari Lake is trying to pivot to the middle and, lol
https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1760346193630990352

lake has enough brain cells to realize she might actually have to get moderates to win but lol.

Main Paineframe posted:

Originally, yeah, but she backed off on a lot of that stuff after Obama won the presidency. She campaigned for gay marriage bans in the 00s, but in the 2010s she was a member of the House LGBT Equality Caucus in the 10s, backed plenty of pro-LGBT bills, and frequently apologized for her past anti-LGBT positions and rhetoric. She became a big up-and-coming Dem who spent some time as the vice-chair of the DNC, though she resigned that position when she endorsed Bernie Sanders in 2016.

And in the 2020s, she revealed that all of that backing off was completely fake and that she still held all those positions. For example, she complained that DeSantis' "Don't Say Gay" bill didn't go far enough in preventing the gays from "indoctrinating woke sexual values in our schools".

Personally, my read is that after seeing Obama win, she thought she had a shot at being president one day too, but she realized that her positions were unacceptable to the Dem electorate, and she wanted the presidency badly enough that she was willing to spend an entire decade hiding and apologizing for her regressive views and pretending to have become a progressive. Once her presidential ambitions were dashed, she dropped the mask.
yeah. i remeber falling for it too for a long time. sounds like she was basicaly chud sinema.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

That was made explicitly illegal in the 60's because southern states wanted to use it to prevent their states from sending black members to congress.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

I agree except i don't think she has any actual views at all. Just one of those people with no internal narrative at all. I think she just thought she had to be a Democrat to get anywhere in Hawaii politics, then tried to go national, failed at that, realized she had an opportunity in the right wing grifter circuit, glommed onto it.

Hell, she might be president in 2028.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The Democrats had a supermajority and the opportunity to pass federal legislation codifying abortion rights, but chose not to, vis a vis Obama's own words as the leader of the party, in 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeWYQN-Qoy8

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Zwabu posted:

This is why I’m rather skeptical of most of this early season polling that contains lots of counter intuitive stuff like this. Aside from “young people suddenly all became Christian fash in a one year period” I’m left to wonder about whether only wing nut young people answer these polls so they can say TRUMP and hang up the phone.

In my view, you're right to be skeptical of polling. A quick poll of this thread will illustrate the point quite nicely. How many people in here answer calls from unknown numbers? if you do how many listen to the robotic spiel of every caller, patiently wait for them to finish their spiel to figure out whether it's a poll or not and then, if it is a poll answer it?

I personally don't answer calls from unknown numbers. A few situations where you might:

1) you are currently looking for work and have put out job applications and are waiting for a call back
2) you are bored and lonely, so getting someone on the phone to talk to is a rare treat
3) you're so full of piss and vinegar that getting a random person on the phone to scream at is a rare treat

And of course, these are all just guesses. By definition, you don't know the demographics, education, income level, employment situation, or anything else about people who don't answer your survey.

Usually the only things that are reported are sample size and margin of error. And that margin of error is based on untestable, but likely wrong, assumptions about the sample. This is not a solved problem, and I've seen no evidence that we are anywhere close to solving it.

That's not to say that polls are useless. Sometimes they're spot on. The problem is that we don't know how to reliably differentiate polls that are spot on from polls that are way off because our methodology is hosed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ex post facho posted:

The Democrats had a supermajority and the opportunity to pass federal legislation codifying abortion rights, but chose not to, vis a vis Obama's own words as the leader of the party, in 2009:

There were also 7 pro-life Democratic Senators and ~35 pro-life House members at the time.

Same issue as when they almost killed Obamacare over abortion coverage:

https://www.politico.com/story/2009/11/senate-faces-abortion-rights-rift-029351

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 21, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He seemed to love Tim Scott last night:

He's probably already forgotten about him. He'll heap praise on anyone he perceives as being his biggest supporter currently in the room, but I think he honestly would rather not even pick a VP if he didn't basically have to. He doesn't care and I doubt he's even thinking about it yet, except as a carrot he can dangle when he needs to.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Gabbard absolutely has some political positions, such as "Using chemical weapons on children is a good thing, actually"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You may have heard about the case of Rebecca Vance, a woman who was conspiracy poisoned and thought the only way to protect herself and her 13-year-old son was to flee into the wilderness and live off-grid. Her lack of preparation and underestimation of what it takes to live in the woods led to her, her son, and her sister freezing/starving to death.

Outside magazine published a long-form narrative story about the case yesterday, which is both depressing and illuminating. It gets to a lot of topics we talk about in here, especially how social media radicalizes people into crazy beliefs.

quote:

Another relative was told a different story. Christine said to their stepsister, Trevala Jara, that they would be heading into the wilderness to live off the grid. Trevala, who saw Christine every week, knew that Rebecca had spent much of the pandemic glued to her computer, growing increasingly obsessed with conspiracy theories and the end of the world. She feared vaccines, technology, and the power of global elites, and thought that the only escape was to get as far away from other people as she could.

The author actually splits his time living off-grid in the San Luis Valley, so he talked with other people who have chosen that lifestyle, for whatever reason (usually crazy)

quote:

New people arrive here every summer, many with the intention of overwintering. That always raises eyebrows: temperatures plunge, winds blow hard. Few new arrivals are prepared for it, and most bail. If they run out of money, they sometimes end up at the La Puente shelter in the town of Alamosa, where I first encountered off-gridders as a volunteer for a rural outreach program designed to support people when things got rough. My mentor was Matt Little, a full-time employee who himself had lived off-grid and had exquisite radar about who was probably doing OK and who was not. Twice in one winter, he told me that he was worried about an older guy living near him in a van. Matt offered the man food and blankets, but he turned down all assistance. That didn’t keep Matt from feeling guilty when the man was found frozen to death one December day, even though Matt knew it wasn’t his fault.

Matt is now a restaurant cook who divides his time between a residence on the prairie, where his wife and her daughter live, and a primitive shack on the slopes of 14,351-foot Blanca Peak, where he owns about six acres that offer a commanding view of the valley floor. One day last September, when he was having car trouble, I gave him a lift from his job in town to the bottom of the steep, rocky road that leads to his shack, and we walked it together. Along the way, we talked about the Vance sisters and belief in conspiracies—because, as Matt readily admits, he’s an expert. He and his wife, he said, are “both conspiracy followers and preppers.”
He knew all about the constellation of threats that apparently had sent Rebecca Vance into the wilderness: the World Economic Forum, Klaus Schwab, etc. While we were together, his wife texted him memes about others. One centered on the horrific Maui fire in August 2023; there was a strong suspicion that a corrupt elite had set the blaze to dislodge Indigenous Hawaiians from valuable land. Then Matt showed me a video warning about something called 10/4. “You heard of that?” he asked. I had not.

October 4, 2023, was the day the federal government had scheduled an extra-long test of the Emergency Alert System. Matt believed that this was ominous for several reasons: the FCC and other federal agencies were involved, and this time an emergency tone, which used to be sent only to radios and TVs, would be broadcast onto cell phones, too. “OK, so?” I asked.

Matt explained that “we’re pretty sure” the tone was designed to activate chips already present inside most of us, put there via vaccination and by eating certain brands of meat. “The tone is a special frequency that will activate the nanochips,” Matt explained, either killing people outright or turning them into zombies who will do the bidding of their masters, members of the international elite. “And do you believe that?” I asked.

“Enough that I’ll be taking the day off,” Matt replied, smiling. He and his wife planned to put their phones inside Faraday cages that day, to shield them from electromagnetic signals, and he would be armed as well. “I’ll be packin’!” he told me with a wink. Why? To protect them from zombies—or any other signs of the apocalypse. (Actually, Matt often carries a gun for self-defense anyway.)

“What if nothing happens after the test?” I asked.

“Well then I got to spend a nice day with her,” he said. I suggested that this approach—leaving open the possibility of an apocalypse without banking on it—was a major difference between him and the Vances. “Would you ever not just take a day off, but stop working entirely, because of something bad that might happen?” I asked.

“No, I got to make a living!” Matt said, as though stating the obvious. “My first obligation is to stay alive and protect the people I love.”

Just as there are many kinds of off-gridders, so are there many shades of apocalypse predictors. Most simply keep a go bag in the closet. But an extreme few—few right now, anyway—sense immediate peril and seek sanctuary in the wilderness. So far the wilderness is proving more lethal than zombies.

Apparently a lot of people die every winter because they decided to flee society but were completely unprepared for what living in the god's honest wilderness entails. Vance was equipped for a nice weekend out at the lake, not a winter in the Rocky Mountains

quote:

The dwelling they set up would later be described by investigators as an “eighty-dollar Walmart tent.” Their sleeping bags were warm but not warm enough for winter. Other equipment and supplies reflected a lack of familiarity with wilderness life. They had no firearms or big knives. They had a fishing rod, and while the lakes in the wilderness area are stocked with trout, they’re frozen and inaccessible in winter. To purify water they had LifeStraws, useful for hiking but not intended for long-term cold-weather camping. (Freezing temperatures can wreak havoc on personal water filters.)

Trevala would later show me a bundle of perhaps 50 seed packets, returned to her by officials almost a year later: kale, cilantro, carrots, peppers. Those plants are not impossible to grow in that environment, but to succeed you’d need to start early in the season, with a well-prepared bed, probably in some kind of temporary greenhouse to protect against storms and cold snaps. It appears that the trio mostly ate prepared food. Trash found at the campsite the following summer included cans and wrappers for ramen noodles, Campbell’s soup, fruit juice, Vienna sausages, candy bars, and Tuna Creations.

The group built a lean-to some 30 or 40 yards from the tent, cutting logs not with a timber saw but something closer to a hacksaw. The lean-to was maybe four feet tall and had a roof made of branches; it faced a hole dug into the hillside for storage. A tarp was probably draped across the space between the two spots, offering some shelter.

It isn’t known how they spent their days. Rebecca brought books about plants, as well as a Bible. There was also a set of four fantasy-themed Choose Your Own Adventure books at the campsite. Rebecca kept a journal but wrote almost exclusively about plant identification and high-altitude foraging.

The saddest parts of the story are the excerpts from Talon's journal. He comes across as optimistic and positive. He was completely isolated by his mother, and his only friends were on-line.

quote:

As part of her plan to exit society, Rebecca urged Talon to learn Boy Scout–style wilderness skills—knots, foraging, building shelters. A journal that he brought with him off-grid begins with loving comments about “Mommy” and “Aunty,” descriptions of their “stinky” cat, Oreo, and an upbeat retrospective about attending school in person. He recalled that the teachers were very nice, referred to seven of them by name, and mentioned the time his report on a trip to the zoo had been posted on the wall for all to see. “I got an A in all my classes! Some I got more than 100% in! :D

Next are entries about how he loves his friends on Roblox and loves his grandmother and brother and sister. Many pages follow about how to tie different knots:

quote:

Square knot!

Right over left,

Left over right 😀
Longer descriptions follow for how to tie a clove hitch, bowline, Japanese square lashing, and timber hitch. “Side note: I did the trucker’s hitch first try!!”

Just before the family left Colorado Springs, he wrote:

quote:

Oreo always plopped on our laps when we were on the couch.

On the 29th of July, Oreo plopped between me and mommy as we were practicing ropes and knots. During online school, I would work on the couch a lot of the time. Because of that, Oreo would plop on me. On the 29th of July, Oreo plopped on me for the last time.
This was just before Oreo was dropped off with Trevala.

Filling the lion’s share of his journal are references to his closest friends on Roblox, each of whom he knows only by screen name. (Talon’s screen name was Fwoofy.) He talks about how he met them, recounts direct-message exchanges they’ve had, and mentions a plan to get up at 6:30 A.M. to continue playing a game with one of them. For the next 24 pages, he records their reactions to him telling them he’d be leaving Roblox for good.

Talon’s journal is more revealing. The entry is a list of restaurants he both likes and misses:

quote:

HuHot

The place with combination rice plate

Mi Mexico

Shin Sa Dong

Chick-fil-A

Village Inn

Einstein Bros

Buffalo Wild Wings

Bonefish
The two entries after that are about journeys Talon took into Gunnison, first with Rebecca and then with Christine. They’re mainly about food, but the second one describes an emotional breakdown:

quote:

On the 22nd of August, me and mommy went to Gunnison and she got us a breakfast crunch wrap, two hashbrowns … and two fountain drinks! Mommy also found beany weenies, chili flavored noodles, shrimp flavor noodles, six pack apple juice for me, and two bags of Chipies for me and Aunty!

On the 23rd of August, me and Aunty went back to Gunnison! She got more clothes, some books, some popcorn baggies, some noodles, some of which we have never tried before, fruit snacks, bag of chicken, 16 pack Cinnamon Toast Crunch bars, and Arby’s! She also let me pick out a drink of my choice from the gas station since she bought ciggerates :P. I picked Grapefruit Crush.

The Arby’s we had was so tasty! Aunty got me a Greek Gyro, a large orange Cream Shake, large curly fries, and jalapeno Poppers! She also let me have some of her fountain drink! I also had a mini breakdown at Arby’s because nothing feels the same anymore [sad face]. During my breakdown, she took us to Safeway and let me pick out candy of my choice! I was so sad, that nothing really sounded appealing to me anymore. So I picked out chocolate for mommy mostly, and then Aunty suggested fruit snacks for me, so I just said “OK.”

Mommy also got fruit cups because she felt like it! She also got two strawberry parfait drinks for me and Aunty! She is so sweet!

The author concludes with an interview with the local coroner, who declined to list Talon's death as homicide because

quote:

Barnes said that he told the pathologist about reading Talon’s diary, about his love for his mother and her evident love for him. In every respect but the decision to go off-grid, he said, she had appeared to be a good parent. So they ruled his death an accident.

She obviously wasn't a good mother, she was mentally ill and incapable of providing for a child. Every time you see some complete right wing nutjob going off on twitter or the news, you have to wonder if they have children and how negatively they are being impacted by their parents' delusions, which are almost always manufactured after falling into various online echo chambers and feedback loops. I wonder if we're going to have a whole generation of kids who were raised by these people and whether they will reject that as adults. Stewart Rhodes' children did.

It's a long read but well-written, critical but sympathetic, and I'd recommend reading the whole thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sir Lemming posted:

He's probably already forgotten about him. He'll heap praise on anyone he perceives as being his biggest supporter currently in the room, but I think he honestly would rather not even pick a VP if he didn't basically have to. He doesn't care and I doubt he's even thinking about it yet, except as a carrot he can dangle when he needs to.

He cares because he thinks pence betrayed him and he plans to run for a third term after this one (he is delusional). He will pick someone with absolute loyalty. My bet, seriously, is Ivanka.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

He cares because he thinks pence betrayed him and he plans to run for a third term after this one (he is delusional). He will pick someone with absolute loyalty. My bet, seriously, is Ivanka.

i think if he isnt in jail yet or convicted or whatever or hell even if he is, he will try. my question is if he loses this year, does the GOP still hold on. because i think they do as long as the base does.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Proportionally sure (in theory, I don’t think it’s currently legal), but not a straight state-wide popular vote like the senate.

It would also require you to vote on a party, not a candidate. So if a state had 10 reps and 50% voted Dem, 40% voted Rep, 10% voted Green, Green would get a representative. Which is why it’ll never happen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How would that work, practically? Let's say you did actually have that system and now you have the state vote breakdown and also each party's slate of proposed representatives. How do you fairly cut down the slates to fit the proportional spots?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my question is if he loses this year, does the GOP still hold on. because i think they do as long as the base does.

I think we all know the answer to this question.

Of course they will still hold on. And of course they'll say the election of Biden is a fraud if he wins. And of course Trump will have some sort've fundraiser to pay for more of his crappy lawyers etc etc etc.

Its not a political party anymore. Its a cult.

The real potential for a possible ending will be when the glorious leader, Trump, dies. He could easily live to be 90 given his father lived longer. Of course his dad got dementia and then Alzheimer's around 10yr before he died too.

To be honest watching him on TV, especially the ones filmed late at night in front of huge crowds, I can't help but think he is already starting to get sundowners syndrome now. But he could also just be really tired too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Alabama Supreme Court made a boneheaded and unprecedented ruling that "Frozen embryos are children" yesterday -meaning anyone who destroys one is liable for harming a child - and the consequences have been immediate:

https://twitter.com/rmc031/status/1760358769060405483

Doesn't seem very pro family to me

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

haveblue posted:

How would that work, practically? Let's say you did actually have that system and now you have the state vote breakdown and also each party's slate of proposed representatives. How do you fairly cut down the slates to fit the proportional spots?

You could probably leave that up to the individual parties to figure out for themselves. The state runs the election and tells the parties 'okay you won X seats, fill 'em'. I could see parties basically having a line-up of candidates listed out, and fill their won seats in the order listed.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ex post facho posted:

Yeah, Democrats chose to use their short period of a functional supermajority to focus on getting the ACA and other urgent priorities passed instead of abortion rights which at the time were not in immediate peril. Part of that was because the ACA was going to be hard to dismantle once in place while a future Republican court willing to strike down Roe would find it trivial to strike down a law that affirmed Roe. Probably a good choice both in hindsight and the moment, but since 2016 everyone who yawned loudly at the idea of voting for the courts used it as an unearned vindication.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Was it a mistake for the Biden administration to use the words "final solution"?

did this actually happen anywhere?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, Democrats chose to use their short period of a functional supermajority to focus on getting the ACA and other urgent priorities passed instead of abortion rights which at the time were not in immediate peril. Part of that was because the ACA was going to be hard to dismantle once in place while a future Republican court willing to strike down Roe would find it trivial to strike down a law that affirmed Roe. Probably a good choice both in hindsight and the moment, but since 2016 everyone who yawned loudly at the idea of voting for the courts used it as an unearned vindication.

Those like 60 working days the Dems had a tenuous supermajority 16 years ago are used as a weapon for every "dems don't really support this" fight like they somehow could of passed thousands of bills in that very small window, it's never made sense if you look at what actually was happening during that time period.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Those like 60 working days the Dems had a tenuous supermajority 16 years ago are used as a weapon for every "dems don't really support this" fight like they somehow could of passed thousands of bills in that very small window, it's never made sense if you look at what actually was happening during that time period.

It's the same thing as "democrats are the party of slavery, republicans freed the slaves": technically true but utterly devoid of context to the point that it's deceptive. Same as people who claim that Biden's at fault for the Dobbs ruling because "it happened under his watch" or "Oh, who's the president right now"?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dull Fork posted:

You could probably leave that up to the individual parties to figure out for themselves. The state runs the election and tells the parties 'okay you won X seats, fill 'em'. I could see parties basically having a line-up of candidates listed out, and fill their won seats in the order listed.

So kind of jury-rigging it into a parliamentary system?

I like voting for a local person to actually go out and represent an area, but that's basically already dead as a concept. And this is makes it slightly easier to let a third party in ; you could do something like Germany did and give people seats if they manage to carve off 5% of the popular vote (or other small number, I'm not gonna google what the Greens needed to get a seat at the table).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

haveblue posted:

It’s done in some European parliaments so it’s possible, though to be honest I don’t know the details about how the party picks who from the slate actually gets to go. I would think the party would kind of send out some sort of ranking that they would have to follow.

It puts a lot more power in the hands of state parties which is not super great. But it’s better than statewide popular elections.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ex post facho posted:

A conservative SCOTUS was going to overturn Roe no matter what. It just so happened that it was a state challenge that went to them instead of a federal challenge. Believing the conservatives when they say it was only overturned because it was not federally protected by the Democrats is honestly extremely naive. The entire argument is ignorant considering it was 1) the conservatives fighting Roe for decades, 2) a conservative President who put conservatives on the court, and 3) a conservative SCOTUS who overturned it.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 21, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, it's not like codifying Roe into law would make it impervious to attack from SCOTUS. Hell, the Voting Rights Act is law but it's not stopping the Roberts court from taking big juicy bites out of it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah frankly it would’ve taken a constitutional amendment to protect Roe from SCOTUS and that was never going to happen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

A conservative SCOTUS was going to overturn Roe no matter what. It just so happened that it was a state challenge that went to them instead of a federal challenge. Believing the conservatives when they say it was only overturned because it was not federally protected by the Democrats is honestly extremely naive. The entire argument is ignorant considering it was 1) the conservatives fighting Roe for decades, 2) a conservative President who put conservatives on the court, and 3) a conservative SCOTUS who overturned it.

i mean its because apperently only the dems have agency, the chuds and the GOP are like nature.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dr_kkjetelina/status/1760191307673399368

It's really sad that it's going to take several thousand dead children for us to learn our lesson again. Or whatever number of dead children it takes for people to acknowledge the actual cause instead of chalking it up to 5G networks or whatever. I feel really bad for parents who have children that, for whatever legit medical reason, can't be vaccinated. We're moving towards a perverse outcome where healthy children have to stay home because sick and unvaccinated kids keep getting sent to school by parents.

All because for some reason vaccines became lib-coded

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The Florida "surgeon General" is an anti vax nutjob right?

No lesson will be learned from any number of infant corpses. Not in this country.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

It's really sad that it's going to take several thousand dead children for us to learn our lesson again. Or whatever number of dead children it takes for people to acknowledge the actual cause instead of chalking it up to 5G networks or whatever. I feel really bad for parents who have children that, for whatever legit medical reason, can't be vaccinated. We're moving towards a perverse outcome where healthy children have to stay home because sick and unvaccinated kids keep getting sent to school by parents.

All because for some reason vaccines became lib-coded

Unfortunately, people letting themselves and their families die from covid, and deaths from gun violence proves that no amount of dead kids will convince people to change their politically-based ignorance. The only way this gets fixed is by making vaccines mandatory by law, with obvious exceptions for those with real medical issues.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DeSantis literally appointed him because of his blog posts about how hydroxychloroquine was a miracle cure and his WSJ Op-Ed in May 2020 about how people are overreacting about Covid death rates in order to cover for China.

He also thinks mRNA vaccines can cause permanent genetic mutations that can be passed on to your kids.

He is a legit crazy person and it is a situation where DeSantis was desperate to find the most "covid isn't a big deal" doctor he could find to help his presidential campaign, but it had real health consequences.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 21, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

No lesson will be learned from any number of infant corpses. Not in this country.

This is true of guns because pro-gun nuts have been established at every level of government for a long time, but I don't think vaccine denialism is quite that entrenched yet. Unvaccinated deaths are still seen as preventable by a lot of people and there's no equivalent of the NRA or the 2nd Amendment for vaccines. California was able to fix itself last time they had a measles outbreak meta-epidemic, although I think that's been slipping recently

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well it would help if the FL Surgeon General wasn’t a Covid grifter

He was one of those doctors who were happily writing hundreds or thousands of prescriptions for ivermectin to Covid patients

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He is a legit crazy person and it is a situation where DeSantis was desperate to find the most "covid isn't a big deal" doctor he could find to help his presidential campaign,

Well at least it was a huge help in that regard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

haveblue posted:

This is true of guns because pro-gun nuts have been established at every level of government for a long time, but I don't think vaccine denialism is quite that entrenched yet. Unvaccinated deaths are still seen as preventable by a lot of people and there's no equivalent of the NRA or the 2nd Amendment for vaccines. California was able to fix itself last time they had a measles outbreak meta-epidemic, although I think that's been slipping recently

I was speaking a bit rhetorically. No additional lesson will be learned because all the people who want to learn anything already know vaccines work, and all the vaccine deniers don't want to learn otherwise.

Hundreds of thousands of people in this country just died, within the past four years, denying wkth thwir last breaths that the disease which killed them existed. Those who have ears to hear have already heard.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

haveblue posted:

This is true of guns because pro-gun nuts have been established at every level of government for a long time, but I don't think vaccine denialism is quite that entrenched yet. Unvaccinated deaths are still seen as preventable by a lot of people and there's no equivalent of the NRA or the 2nd Amendment for vaccines.

California was able to fix itself last time they had a measles outbreak meta-epidemic, although I think that's been slipping recently

wasnt this before 2016, the meta for internet shitposting has changed and things are going to get worse before it might get better it keeps getting worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was speaking a bit rhetorically. No additional lesson will be learned because all the people who want to learn anything already know vaccines work, and all the vaccine deniers don't want to learn otherwise.

Hundreds of thousands of people in this country just died, within the past four years, denying wkth thwir last breaths that the disease which killed them existed. Those who have ears to hear have already heard.

I think that if COVID had killed children at the same rate as it did old people, instead of not at all, we would've seen a massively different response here and world wide. The fact that most of the deaths were elderly - many elderly and invisible - people cared less. Fully a quarter of the Texas nursing home population died of COVID, that's an unimaginable holocaust if not for the fact that we put people in those places so we don't have to think about them while they are dying.