Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What I find really curious is why people keep comparing PoE and D:OS and bitterposting about Larian releasing commercially successful games. Like I can see how PoE1 and D:OS1 were peer games and then PoE2 killed the franchise while D:OS2 sold well enough to let Larian make BG3 with the best production values in the genre by several orders of magnitude, but the commercial failure of Tyranny and PoE2 wasn't a Flemish conspiracy. Owlcat made more successful party-based RPGs too, two of them also featuring rtwp combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Steam thread AKA the PC Gaming Thread is the only place where you can find people with even a remotely negative opinion of DOS2. I can only assume it's because those same 12 posters are coincidentally the only people who bought Alpha Protocol and have remained jaded about Obsidian's commercial performance ever since.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

exquisite tea posted:

The Steam thread AKA the PC Gaming Thread is the only place where you can find people with even a remotely negative opinion of DOS2.

Yeah you people are absolute nutjobs

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
DOS2 is my go-to game to unwind with after a tough shift at my day job (Head Shuffler at the International Poison, Oil, and Water Barrel Shuffling Facility).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
DOS2 is just a game I couldn't get into for whatever reason, but it isn't bad. BG3 however I got sucked into right away, so whatever! Brains are dumb as hell!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Brains are dumb as hell!

this is what the mind flayers don't get

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Between Helldivers 2 and Last Epoch, it really is the season for smaller teams getting way more players than they're ready for.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mescal posted:

How's this differ from the new Blazblue game if I'm familiar with neither?

Well hopefully the Slave Zero X studio won't get shuttered a week after launch

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mordja posted:

Between Helldivers 2 and Last Epoch, it really is the season for smaller teams getting way more players than they're ready for.

Is Last Epoch server based?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

It has an offline mode, but yea the servers are getting their poo poo kicked in right now.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Yeah, today's the 1.0 launch of the game. Servers were offline for the past 24 hours (intentionally) for the launch patch and just came back up ~90 minutes ago.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

huh i always thought last epoch was going to be f2p after launch and in ea you were buying beta access and basically supporter packs like path of exile. i guess i totally made that up in my brain.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve been playing Enshrouded with a friend for a couple weeks and it worked every time we wanted to play it. Very weird!!!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ZearothK posted:

What I find really curious is why people keep comparing PoE and D:OS and bitterposting about Larian releasing commercially successful games. Like I can see how PoE1 and D:OS1 were peer games and then PoE2 killed the franchise while D:OS2 sold well enough to let Larian make BG3 with the best production values in the genre by several orders of magnitude, but the commercial failure of Tyranny and PoE2 wasn't a Flemish conspiracy. Owlcat made more successful party-based RPGs too, two of them also featuring rtwp combat.

Yeah I thought that was a weird comparison because PoE and Divinity don't really have anything in common other than being two of the big Kickstarter successes. In the context of the time I feel like most of the support of the former's campaign was wanting to spite Bioware (and what was seen as AAA gaming trends making the genre more casual), not an actual indication of tons of fans of Infinity Engine classics.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

There's 3 modes
- TRUE OFFLINE

Online and Offline still connect to a server. There's a chat server in offline mode and I believe microtransaction cosmetics only work in Online mode. Offline characters can never be uploaded to the online server

True Offline is enabled at the Steam launch settings level.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jumping from attempting and failing to play Last Epoch to attempting and failing to play Helldivers 2 which is full at 2PM on a wednesday is pretty fun

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

psuedo offline mode working just fine for me. And I imagine actual offline is even better.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am comparing one large RPG to another RPG because I played them in fairly close proximity after aborting my Dragon Age: Origins playthrough. I have no idea what you are on about about flemish conspiracies. I've played Pathfinder: Kingmaker as well (twice) and there's just not many large games in this space. I'm sorry I don't like the game you like?

I really wish there were another Shadowrun game. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are excellent, then Harebrained schemes went and did that other thing…

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
everyone shut up, peak just dropped

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1955230/Pennys_Big_Breakaway/

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
Weird to me that people are so down on DOS2's writing. I thought the story was pretty decent and at least three of the companions (Lohse, Sebille, Red Prince) as good as any of the BG3 ones. But I also thought BG3's story was only so-so once you look past the presentation.

Now DOS1, that's a game with truly execrable writing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zhuge liang posted:

Weird to me that people are so down on DOS2's writing. I thought the story was pretty decent and at least three of the companions (Lohse, Sebille, Red Prince) as good as any of the BG3 ones. But I also thought BG3's story was only so-so once you look past the presentation.

Now DOS1, that's a game with truly execrable writing.

No one has any many friends as the man with many cheeses

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this looks good. basically guaranteed to be in the next SGDQ lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Awesome! posted:

this looks good. basically guaranteed to be in the next SGDQ lol

it is definitely Speedrunner's Delight.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mescal posted:

How's this differ from the new Blazblue game if I'm familiar with neither?

The new Blazblue game is a roguelite where you do runs to make increasingly bullshit builds so that you have to do as little beat'em'up as possible.

Slave Zero X has a traditional campaign and is all about stylish beat'em'up action, akin to something like Devil May Cry.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Agreed that they scratch different itches. D:OS is all about the turn-based, tactical combat, while Pillars of Eternity is more of an obvious throwback to the old Infinity Engine games, updated for modern sensibilities. I actually really like the Pillars franchise, including the first game, but the truth is it just didn't sell that well. If I had to guess, Obsidian went so far in the direction of making the first PoE's world and characters grounded and relatable that it came off as boring and drab to a lot of players. Yes, I know you have Durance and Grieving Mother, but overall it has a pretty understated, mundane vibe to it. I actually appreciated that, but evidently it didn't connect with everyone.

The first D:OS went too far in the other direction of making everything wacky and zany like if you ordered Terry Pratchett from wish.com, and combined with the horribly overwrought writing, I can see how that turned people off as well. D:OS 2 was a great course correction though, it's just a good game all around, except for the horribly overtuned loot treadmill.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Could someone explain to me how the Planet cards work? I don’t quite understand them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Slave Zero X is almost as much a single-player fighting game as it is a beat em up - the one boss fight in the demo was really challenging in a good way, and the game has some inputs that almost seem made for fight sticks (though I don't think there's any quarter-circles or moves that would be hard to do on a normal controller).

I'm curious how fighting through random trash is in the final game - it got pretty darn repetitive in the demo, and I'm worried it might just end up being filler between boss fights.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Detective No. 27 posted:

Could someone explain to me how the Planet cards work? I don’t quite understand them.

They upgrade the base/mulitplier score of a certain combo

Estel
May 4, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

The planet cards buff the mult and chip gained of a specific poker hand.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've happened to get a really good combination of stuff a few times but otherwise, I really have no idea of how to play balatro in terms of strategy. There are so many options of things you can do that it's pretty confusing.

Also the boss blind where you can only play one hand keeps loving me up

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

explosivo posted:

Jumping from attempting and failing to play Last Epoch to attempting and failing to play Helldivers 2 which is full at 2PM on a wednesday is pretty fun

With game closed, join a friend on steam who is already in game and you will bypass the queue

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ymgve posted:

They upgrade the base/mulitplier score of a certain combo

Is it just once or for the duration of the run ? I see that I can buy and use them instantly, does that basically just burn it away, if not, why wouldn’t I want to instantly use them as I buy them?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is it just once or for the duration of the run ? I see that I can buy and use them instantly, does that basically just burn it away, if not, why wouldn’t I want to instantly use them as I buy them?
The whole run (you can see what you've upgraded in run info). In general I think you would want to use them instantly (maybe there is some weird situation where you wouldn't, like if you want to use the thing that copies the last tarot or planet on a specific planet card?)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phlegmish posted:

Agreed that they scratch different itches. D:OS is all about the turn-based, tactical combat, while Pillars of Eternity is more of an obvious throwback to the old Infinity Engine games, updated for modern sensibilities. I actually really like the Pillars franchise, including the first game, but the truth is it just didn't sell that well. If I had to guess, Obsidian went so far in the direction of making the first PoE's world and characters grounded and relatable that it came off as boring and drab to a lot of players. Yes, I know you have Durance and Grieving Mother, but overall it has a pretty understated, mundane vibe to it. I actually appreciated that, but evidently it didn't connect with everyone.

The first D:OS went too far in the other direction of making everything wacky and zany like if you ordered Terry Pratchett from wish.com, and combined with the horribly overwrought writing, I can see how that turned people off as well. D:OS 2 was a great course correction though, it's just a good game all around, except for the horribly overtuned loot treadmill.

I admit that I fell off Pillars 1 every time I tried to play because it was so depressing.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
In Pillars 1 I didn't realize what my character's motivation was supposed to have been the whole time until the end of the game, when an NPC asked me about it and all my answers were about the same thing. I still don't think it really makes sense.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I think Pillars 1 and Divinity Original Sin 1 are both very cool and I haven't even played the sequels yet! Actually I'm kinda at three for three when it comes to RPGs I really enjoyed but haven't played the apparently even better sequels to yet with Pillars, D:OS and Pathfinder Kingmaker.

I do agree that D:OS 1 has way too much irrelevant and weightless dialogue and that they went out on their way to add voice acting to literally all of it in the Enhanced Edition always felt like such a weird use of resources to me. Plus it was either that or D:OS 2 that apparently scared the higher-ups to require full voice acting for Pillars 2 as well which rope kid mentioned as having been against because of how costly full VA is in time and resources, plus it means dialogue has to be "locked in" for good by the time the recordings happen.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

mystes posted:

I've happened to get a really good combination of stuff a few times but otherwise, I really have no idea of how to play balatro in terms of strategy. There are so many options of things you can do that it's pretty confusing.

Also the boss blind where you can only play one hand keeps loving me up

Discard is absolutely your friend, you can use it on up to 5 cards.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deakul posted:

Discard is absolutely your friend, you can use it on up to 5 cards.
My issue is less with how to play individual hands or rounds and more about how to decide what to buy between rounds

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

mystes posted:

My issue is less with how to play individual hands or rounds and more about how to decide what to buy between rounds

Jokers that increase your multiplier are the most important purchases. Early on you want good flat additive multipliers, there are a couple that also push you toward a certain playstyle like flush, straight, or pairs etc., which you can then lean harder into. In the midgame you want to look for multiplicative (often conditional or situational) Jokers and figure out ways to lean harder into improving them. Steel cards from packs are another way to get your multiplier up, planet cards to increase the level hand style you want to play, and tarot cards offer weird effects that allow you to copy or remove cards or change suits and values - to increase the propability of the thing you're trying to do.

Also should note that it's optimal to float exactly $25 each round, because you accrue 1 dollar interest (free money is good) for every 5 bucks you had on hand before playing a blind.

There's also permanent "relics" or artifacts or whatever the game calls them, that can range from really good to decent. Use your own judgment on the value of these.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

mystes posted:

Oh yeah, the choices can be a bit overwhelming when it expects you to think 3 matches ahead but boy does it feel good when you pull it off.