Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think there should be a cooking skill. Sure, leave the food items as they are, but your cooking skill increases the more you cook, and that gets applied as a buff onto the stats of the food. Like it lasts longer, or the health/stamina amounts increase. Or there's more of a yield.

It would only apply when using the crafting interface for cooking, so cauldron, oven, etc. Just cooking raw meat or fish wouldn't change.

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/Smoothbrain/Cooking/

Like this?

I love Valheim to death but the developers are glacially slow with updates and will probably never expand the core systems beyond what we already have. So you have to depend on modders and hope they balance things properly, or at least give you the options to balance things yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I've seen a few videos that reference a training gym kind of thing and it seems like a fun thing to add/fill space in the base I've got going, but I can't find a good guide in my initial few searches, anyone know what I'm talking about and know of a decent guide for how to get that going?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Skill loss can be absolutely brutal. Die a few times in a row and you are back to zero i find, especially in hardcore mode. I think each boss kill should: 1. Increase default health by 5 per boss (just to reduce random falling while building deaths) and 2. Introduce skill loss caps to 5 points per boss. So for example if you kill eithyr you cant fall below 5, kill the elder it goes up to 10 and so on.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Are people really chain-dying that much that they have skills drop to 0 regularly?

If it's dying during building maybe get some easily renewable food while you build like honey? maybe something stronger if you are working on the top floor of your 4 floor building?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are people really chain-dying that much that they have skills drop to 0 regularly?

If it's dying during building maybe get some easily renewable food while you build like honey? maybe something stronger if you are working on the top floor of your 4 floor building?

For stuff like Fishing, yeah its gone. I fished a bit when I first got the pole and a bit through the plains but by the time I was trying to break into the Mistlands I died enough that my fishing skill was gone. I haven't used an axe as a weapon since the Swamps so that's pretty drat low too, but I honestly don't know if it's actually zero since I've got my atgeir and swords at an ok level.

And yeah I did die a decent amount while building poo poo until I got the cape. Also there is a mosquito spawn i havent blocked yet that's close enough to sometimes sneak over my walls and it grabs me every so often when i forget. I try to keep honey and then bread on hand, but still, not always enough. I'm bad at remembering to scaffold too. Fortunately I did get the cape enough that even the decent rates of deaths in the Mistlands until I got more of the Eitr-tier gear has kept me still ok.

E: vvv yeah that too. I'm pretty sure I don't have a skill above 20, maybe 30 at most. It doesn't help that I switch weapons a decent amount (spear -> mace+axe -> spear/mace -> atgeir -> atgeir/sword/magic, with the bow being along for the ride for most of it). Mostly having them be that low means that I decided skills don't matter that much.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 14, 2024

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
There's a window mid game where you're traipsing around the swamps or mountains, where if you die in a tough to reach spot it's brutal to recover.

Your backup gear sucks, it can be difficult to traverse those biomes at all let alone unprepared. After a couple deaths you might as well just run in naked and pray. This is all amplified playing solo.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I find that dying in quick succession tends to spiral more often than not.

I will present one situation from the hardcore run. I was clearing my first sunken crypt. One of the rooms had a spawner, but because of how it was spawned there was no way to safely hit it at range and it kept pumping out archer draugr and draugr elite. The first attempt to break through ended in disaster with my best gear lost. I had to resort to running into that room with a mace in the hopes of landing a hit on the spawner. It was weirdly sunken into the ground making it an absolute nightmare to hit. I cannot say how many times i died before the spawner (and its guards) eventually went down. So yeah, the game can just gently caress you. Like for example ive had seeker soldiers block the inside of the infected mine (the little lobby area). Just freaking nighmarish scenerios.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And while there is nice prevention of spiraling getting too bad due to the skill loss preventjon effect, some tough areas like that still can cause a lot of skill loss if you take time to try and regroup and come back. If you die a bunch of times on corpse runs; you're probably OK because you're probably still on that same prevention timer, but after you get gear and maybe craft an upgrade or make more food, that timer can expire.

And God forbid you don't have a portal near the area to let you do a corpse run quickly, because if you're sailing over to do a run out could easily eat another skill loss on that end too.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

And yeah I did die a decent amount while building poo poo until I got the cape.

That thing is such a game changer. I remember when it was introduced and I was like, that's it? Now it's the one piece of equipment I'd want to take with me to a new world.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The first time I died falling off a six foot wall I turned off skill loss on death. That’s some survival game poo poo that I just don’t care to engage with

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It doesn’t help the skill loss situation that skill gain is absolutely glacial.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My wife and I started a new world like a month ago, and the two differences we implemented (using custom world options, so no mods) were the ability to bring metal through portals and also much reduced skill loss.

It still happens, but it's not nearly as troublesome as the default setting. Also, not being able to bring metal through portals seemed stupid. You can wear your metal armour through them, so :wtc:

Also, holy gently caress, Bonemass is an insane spike in difficulty. And I do mean 'spike', because the mountains, and especially the plains, which are the following two areas, aren't anywhere near as brutal as that fight alone. Jfc.

The swamp even becomes somewhat trivial once you've got iron armour and weapons and are cooking and eating sausages, but Bonemass is a loving gently caress.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Outright beating Bonemass to death is possibly one of my most satisfying moments in any game. Just pure “gently caress you, here’s a goddamned mace to the face that’s going to repeat until you stop breathing” energy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I stacked the poison resist from the root set and mead and just beat the poo poo out of him with a mace. No idea why but he spawned almost no adds that fight it if he did idk where they were. All I could see was his neon green crotch.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
If you can stay in melee, I think he likes to just keep swinging at you instead of throwing adds, and his swings are very easy to roll-dodge. But IIRC you do need the full root set to be able to tank the cloud, and without that you have to run out constantly, and that means constant adds, and then you don’t have stamina, and then you have a very narrow window to attack before the next cloud and adds. I basically never make stamina potions, but honestly it might be worth it for that fight.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

If you can stay in melee, I think he likes to just keep swinging at you instead of throwing adds, and his swings are very easy to roll-dodge. But IIRC you do need the full root set to be able to tank the cloud, and without that you have to run out constantly, and that means constant adds, and then you don’t have stamina, and then you have a very narrow window to attack before the next cloud and adds. I basically never make stamina potions, but honestly it might be worth it for that fight.
You can do it without the root set iirc as long as you have the mead. If you stay close he mostly swings at you and even if he does his AoE close cloud thing you can dodge far enough back to stay out of the cloud but close enough to get him to generally move towards you instead of chucking the add-bombs. The mace also makes short work of the adds so just hit them with that.

The big thing imo is using the hoe to give yourself a water-free fighting space.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I never bothered with the root armor, and tanked him just fine with the mead. Agree that a mace and a properly prepared battleground are the key.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well...poo poo. I think I'm pretty done until the Ashlands comes out. I'm pretty happy with my plains seaside village and decorating it and my hall has been done for awhile. I might tinker with my weapon display room and trophy room but otherwise im set. I've got a mage tower built in the same village and several renovated Dvergr areas though in fairness I haven't built a Mistlands base myself yet. Maybe I'll make something on a spire; I did find an area that gets high enough that it gets snow which could be a fun contrast.

I've got all the weapons and armor I want up to t3, tons of spare food...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I never bothered with the root armor, and tanked him just fine with the mead. Agree that a mace and a properly prepared battleground are the key.

I've only ever stood on a platform above and arrowed him.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

My boss battles are all somewhat same (I haven't done Queen yet) - there is/are columns/altar/pillars/rocks, boss does ranged attack, I hide behind and when they finish, I attack. Bonemass was chasing me around his own altar as I was striking his backside with a mace.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dwesa posted:

My boss battles are all somewhat same (I haven't done Queen yet) - there is/are columns/altar/pillars/rocks, boss does ranged attack, I hide behind and when they finish, I attack. Bonemass was chasing me around his own altar as I was striking his backside with a mace.

The queen can largely be done the same but I don't think you can easily melee her unless you're really good at rolling. Her knockback on blocked or parried attacks is nuts and you'll go flying. Instead its a lot of kiting her around those obstacles and hitting her with fireballs.

You can also add a lot of verticality in the arena by fleeing up stairs and if you get mobbed just jumping off them to buy space for casting a defensive shield or regenerating Eitr or something. It's a fun boss arena, and imo the only problem with the fight is now much better magic is against her compared to melee.

She and the Elder are both easier with respective ranged weapons and the other bosses are so, so much easier in melee (well, Moder is kind of both depending on her phase).

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Elder isn't too bad in melee if you can parry the stomp.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Elder isn't too bad in melee if you can parry the stomp.

You can parry the stomp?!?!

I feel silly for never trying that :smith:.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
You can also just aoe him from above with stagthorn until he dies. It's not fast but it's not very risky either. Personally i found iron mace+ root armor was fine.

Edit: just build up a little earth around his altar and stagthorn the top. I play with a group who loves to overbuild vOv

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Queen being the first mob/boss on normal difficulty that you cannot (effectively) block is really annoying and a little bs. If you don’t wanna magic it up, fortunately you can cheese the boss by standing at the entrance in full cover and spamming the demolisher through the wall. Also if you just do this for a little bit and then walk back out her ai is completely messed up for like ten-fifteen seconds and gives you easy access to her weak point on her thorax.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 15, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have like 200 hours in this drat game and how am I just now learning about Smouldering Tombs?! :psyduck:

I'm assuming they weren't in the game until Hildr was?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I have like 200 hours in this drat game and how am I just now learning about Smouldering Tombs?! :psyduck:

Correct, that and two other types of Tomb were added with Hildr.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh my god, the dresses.... Fireworks..... :swoon:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ehh you arent missing out on much.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't suppose anyone knows of a simple and functional mod that simply makes monsters not aggro on player built things? I'm kinda sick of having to build walls and poo poo just to keep greydwarves from wrecking my turnips.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Nordick posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows of a simple and functional mod that simply makes monsters not aggro on player built things? I'm kinda sick of having to build walls and poo poo just to keep greydwarves from wrecking my turnips.

Isn't one of the new game difficulty sliders for that option?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

Isn't one of the new game difficulty sliders for that option?

I think that turns creatures completely passive (won't attack anything unless attacked)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dwesa posted:

I think that turns creatures completely passive (won't attack anything unless attacked)

Yep, it's this. I actually experimented with turning it on and setting combat difficulty to Very Hard. The thought was that I'd be able to explore in peace, but if I wanted something monsters drop I'd have to really work for it. Didn't really pan out like that in practice, as 1v1 normal enemies were still complete pushovers but starred enemies would just plow right through my parries. Wasn't much fun at all. I don't want to just kite everything with a bow forever.

I was just asking after a mod like that because I was salty over losing four of my total of six planted turnips, which were all I could find after a long trudge through the swamps. But it's ok, I'll cope.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 21, 2024

Burns
May 10, 2008

New update on Ashlands development:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/6856237235669810698?l=english

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nordick posted:

Yep, it's this. I actually experimented with turning it on and setting combat difficulty to Very Hard. The thought was that I'd be able to explore in peace, but if I wanted something monsters drop I'd have to really work for it. Didn't really pan out like that in practice, as 1v1 normal enemies were still complete pushovers but starred enemies would just plow right through my parries. Wasn't much fun at all. I don't want to just kite everything with a bow forever.

I was just asking after a mod like that because I was salty over losing four of my total of six planted turnips, which were all I could find after a long trudge through the swamps. But it's ok, I'll cope.

I just build up my primary housing on a raised platform of dirt. Make it like three or four character heights tall and even trolls can't get in to your precious turnips. With that and a moat around it even raids are optional based on whether I want the drops or not. I even once sunk down the middle of the raised platform and made myself a basement, though it kinda sucked and made my roofs that much shorter so wasn't a win overall because I was too lazy to go back through and re-raise some pillars for stability.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My entire point was about chilling without having to bother with extra effort like that. If I could be arsed I'd just build a palisade around the compound like before.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Every time I start a new world I give up when I hit the swamps - I really wish they were adding more content to the entire game instead of adding on higher level zones that I will never see.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

They have been, with stuff like Hildir, but yeah I do hope we get some more passes across the whole game as time goes on.

I also hate the swamps so I try to make em brief whenever possible. I never build there, just do surgical strikes on coastal tombs to get the iron I need and sail it home. Bonemass is a gently caress but if you prep yourself and the arena enough it becomes less lethal, if still annoying.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Nordick posted:

My entire point was about chilling without having to bother with extra effort like that. If I could be arsed I'd just build a palisade around the compound like before.

Do mobs actually target crops, or are the crops getting killed due to proximity to aggro causing stuff like benches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Exodor posted:

Every time I start a new world I give up when I hit the swamps - I really wish they were adding more content to the entire game instead of adding on higher level zones that I will never see.

Once I learned how to shield parry stun swamps became tame AF. I do however agree that all existing biomes desparately need fleshed out a bit.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 22, 2024