Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Did they all share one knife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mrmcd posted:

Lol forgot about that. Everything is either miles and miles away requiring you to drive through solitary snowy darkness, or like 100 feet from wherever you're standing, including 200 foot deep water.

Gonna need to see a screencap of the map where Otis points out the cave entrance breakthrough place and see if the station or any water is anywhere near it

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

That's not the point you completely missed it.

It's not that they were assholes, it's how the hell did the cleaning ladies know they were all assholes? How did they know they were complicit in poisoning the water? Was there a big white board that said Water Poisoning Plan? How did they know every scientist was complicit in the murder? It's beyond the realm of possibility that only one scientist killed Annie K?

The point is that he's watching the show and trying to figure out what it is actually trying to say whereas you're watching it on a YouTube commenter plot hole spotter basis.

"Why didn't the eagles just fly the ring into Mordor...HMMMMM the writers really screwed up on that one lol"

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

It would have been pretty clear from the police report, which the women had access to, that multiple people were involved in Annie's murder. The secret base is pretty damning in and of itself, since it'd contain evidence that the scientists were at least actively involved in the poisoning of the water supply and would be up for vigilante justice on that basis alone. I imagine that the women read copies of the reports and worked out what all of that meant, and if they couldn't understand the technical jargon would have ways of finding that out. They had a lead and were motivated to work out what it meant.

The story that Clark tells Navarro and Danvers is different to what we see -- he insists that he didn't kill Annie, but we see that he did -- which to me makes it pretty clear that what we see depicted on screen is the truth regardless of what he says.

How would having a room that they could do ice core drilling be damning for scientists investigating ice cores? And why would it be clear that they'd keep evidence of polluting the town down there? Danvers needed the Clark confession to expose the false pollution numbers, they didn't just keep folders labeled FAKE_POLLUTION_NUMBERS laying around.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

College Rockout posted:

How would having a room that they could do ice core drilling be damning for scientists investigating ice cores? And why would it be clear that they'd keep evidence of polluting the town down there? Danvers needed the Clark confession to expose the false pollution numbers, they didn't just keep folders labeled FAKE_POLLUTION_NUMBERS laying around.

Why have a secret ice core drilling room unless you're pulling shady poo poo in it?

If we're examining the show with this level of particularity, it's entirely possible that they tightened their security after the Annie K problem. But a confession is always going to be more damning that a bunch of numbers.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

College Rockout posted:

Isn't that what the show says happens, which is why Annie K freaked out in the first place? She found the Fake Pollution Numbers and got murdered, then the cleaning lady found the ice cave, the whole lady squad did some investigating using their access to both the lab and other places and pieced together who killed Annie and why?

Like I fully admit I'm not super clear on this because it's weird that the Skeleton Cave Hidden Under a Hatch apparently wasn't the terrible secret, instead it was the Fake Pollution Numbers which are a separate but related thing. But the broad strokes of "Annie K discovered something and got murdered for it, then someone else did some investigating and found the same thing Annie K found" isn't really a stretch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Like I fully admit I'm not super clear on this because it's weird that the Skeleton Cave Hidden Under a Hatch apparently wasn't the terrible secret, instead it was the Fake Pollution Numbers which are a separate but related thing.

Yeah, I'm under the impression that the cave was where they were pulling their ice core samples from, so it was essential to their plan. The ice drill that Annie destroyed was there, so it must have been their drilling site.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Missed opportunity for needle drop of a slowed down Smooth Criminal imo

Annie are you OK, are you OK Annie K?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
You've been hit by,
You've been struck by,
A Science Criminal

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Doltos posted:

That's not the point you completely missed it.

It's not that they were assholes, it's how the hell did the cleaning ladies know they were all assholes? How did they know they were complicit in poisoning the water? Was there a big white board that said Water Poisoning Plan? How did they know every scientist was complicit in the murder? It's beyond the realm of possibility that only one scientist killed Annie K?

The show posits that there is some smoking gun evidence that Annie K found, and that the other women found when they started investigating. I agree, it's weird that they apparently have some Fake Data paper trail lying around that a layperson can understand, but the entire Annie K plot line revolves around that.

As for the rest... "The indigenous mob justice may have been a little hasty in (correctly) assigning blame to the entire group of outsiders" is an opinion but it's not a marker of bad writing or plot holes. Sometimes detective murder mystery stories aren't cathartic.

Yeah, I'm under the impression that the cave was where they were pulling their ice core samples from, so it was essential to their plan. The ice drill that Annie destroyed was there, so it must have been their drilling site.

Oh for sure, but like was the drilling itself bad? My understanding from the explanation was that it was the fake pollution numbers that were bad. Would the ice drilling have been fine if they weren't also falsifying pollution numbers? Which is one of my larger issues with the story, it's much neater and makes more sense if the ice drilling itself was a problem.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Seldom Posts posted:

"Why didn't the eagles just fly the ring into Mordor...HMMMMM the writers really screwed up on that one lol"
Because night country isn’t an adaptation, there is an actual answer.
Gandalf had one favor from one specific giant eagle, and that eagle didn’t want to get hit with a ballista bolt messing around with the affairs of man.

http://www.henneth-annun.net/events_view.cfm?evid=1169

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 22, 2024

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Where were they drilling the legit ice cores that were on display for visitors and part of the public rational of the station? Obviously the secret drilling batcave was for secret cores only.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Seldom Posts posted:

The point is that he's watching the show and trying to figure out what it is actually trying to say whereas you're watching it on a YouTube commenter plot hole spotter basis.

Not even close to what's happening here. A plot hole is a gap in the story telling. It would be like Danvers and Navarro showing up to the cleaning ladies house without having gone to the science station. The plot hole would be that they just suddenly had the information without it being shown or referenced.

What you're complaining about is that people are analyzing the plausibility of a show. I don't see what's wrong with that if the show is aiming to make you feel for the indigenous people and the relation of them to American capitalism. The vigilante justice seemed empty from what they showed and if they're telling us how we should feel then that's a problem with the script.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

DaveKap posted:

You're the kid whose book report on Lord of the Flies was just "the kids are dumb."

That report would be better than this poo poo deserves.

Golden Bee posted:

Because night country isn’t an adaptation, there is an actual answer.
Gandolf had one favor from one specific giant eagle, and that eagle didn’t want to get hit with a ballista bolt messing around with the affairs of man.

http://www.henneth-annun.net/events_view.cfm?evid=1169

Night Country is a rip-offadaptation of Wind River.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Previous seasons have some dumb/interesting pretentious philosophy informing it. S2 Ballard, S3 satanic panic, etc. did this one? Season one had the last messiah or some bullshit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I never got the eagles flying into Mordor crit, there’s a giant goddamn tower with a huge eyeball at the top watching the drat place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ruddiger posted:

I never got the eagles flying into Mordor crit, there’s a giant goddamn tower with a huge eyeball at the top watching the drat place.

Just stay in his blindspot, duh

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ruddiger posted:

What's weird is I never run into that comment generically, it's always someone trying to use it as an example of people who don't understand or know the rules of a piece of media.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

why didn't they just ride the polar bear into the secret ice cave murder lab?

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Why have a secret ice core drilling room unless you're pulling shady poo poo in it?

If we're examining the show with this level of particularity, it's entirely possible that they tightened their security after the Annie K problem. But a confession is always going to be more damning that a bunch of numbers.

It's not a secret room. There's no indication that it's kept a secret. The scientists didn't start falsifying the data until after a certain point. Presumably the ice core drilling room would've already been built like that because we don't see another one. They're drilling ice core samples. The room's suppose to be there. The entrance is hidden sure, but maybe it's because it's a big rear end hole with a 50 foot drop and they didn't want people breaking their necks? Or tripping over the hatch?

College Rockout fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 21, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ruddiger posted:

Didn't Tolkein even flat out say the place was lousy with fell beasts anyways?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

Didn't Tolkein even flat out say the place was lousy with fell beasts anyways?

Yeah I think that was a direct quote from the book

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

my bony fealty posted:

why didn't they just ride the polar bear into the secret ice cave murder lab?

One does not simply polar bear into murderlab.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Isn't that what the show says happens, which is why Annie K freaked out in the first place? She found the Fake Pollution Numbers and got murdered, then the cleaning lady found the ice cave, the whole lady squad did some investigating using their access to both the lab and other places and pieced together who killed Annie and why?

Like I fully admit I'm not super clear on this because it's weird that the Skeleton Cave Hidden Under a Hatch apparently wasn't the terrible secret, instead it was the Fake Pollution Numbers which are a separate but related thing. But the broad strokes of "Annie K discovered something and got murdered for it, then someone else did some investigating and found the same thing Annie K found" isn't really a stretch.

Yes according to Clark, Annie K figured it out somehow. But it makes zero sense for the cleaner mafia to know that Tsalal were involved with the mine's pollution

You are a member of an exploited community that's slowly being poisoned by a mining corporation. You just discovered evidence that the mine is colluding with the Tsalal scientists to falsify the pollution numbers and can shut them down, thus ending your community's long-standing suffering.

Do you
A - (twist and) shout it as loud as you can from every rooftop, shutting them down.
B - Kill the scientists. Don't say a word about it to anybody, not even the cops that show up at your door and let the mine continue to destroy your community and eventually kill everyone and everything you love.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

College Rockout posted:

It's not a secret room. There's no indication that it's kept a secret. The scientists didn't start falsifying the data until after a certain point. Presumably the ice core drilling room would've already been built like that because we don't see another one. They're drilling ice core samples. The room's suppose to be there. The entrance is hidden sure, but maybe it's because it's a big rear end hole with a 50 foot drop and they didn't want people breaking their necks? Or tripping over the hatch?

You prevent accidents around openings by making the gap super visible and installing railings, not hiding it under a trick tile.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In the fiction of the show it was definitely presented as a hidden, nefarious underground lab. It just didn't make any sense because the work going on there was exactly the same as their public-facing work.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean the cops fully missed it's whole existence when they investigated the facility in the first place... because it was secret

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ruddiger posted:

For all we know, there were evil birds who sided with Sauron. There could have been Canada geese flying all over that place.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean the cops fully missed it's whole existence when they investigated the facility in the first place... because it was secret

These aren't exactly the sharpest cops around

edit - ok I concede it's a secret room. you are the truest detectives

College Rockout fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 21, 2024

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Do we think the freaky voodoo sex camper had space heaters?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

College Rockout posted:

For a regular hatch you'd want the floor cover to be as easy to open as possible, which means it needs a handle or a small opening where your hand can get in. Building a remote electric/mechanical opening mechanism is a huge effort and completely unnecessary unless you are trying to keep the entrance secret.

Also, apparently the button for the opening is so well hidden that people who have been cleaning that lab for years never discovered it and neither did the cops. A non-secret lab would put that button somewhere where it's easy to reach and see and very likely label it.

e: come on man, it's a secret lab that made sense in an earlier draft but is out of place in the script they filmed

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

There was some talk on page 38 of other, better cop shows with good mysteries. Got another one for the pile.

Just saw the last episode of Criminal Record on Apple TV. Probably one of my favourite cop shows for quite a few years.

You’ve got double lead detective characters, played by Peter Capaldi and Cush Jumbo (the chemistry together is electrifying), who very strongly dislike each other but have to work together to solve a mystery in the present by digging up the skeletons of the past!

It’s intricately written, with some really nicely observed and nuanced ideas about institutional failures in the (British) police. It’s never preachy or simplistic, it actually has conflicted, messy, flawed characters who behave like humans.

The last episode just came out, and they absolutely stuck the landing. Big recommendation to anyone who likes shows Where The Leads Are Detectives And They Have A Weird Dynamic.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 21, 2024

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

College Rockout posted:

Yes according to Clark, Annie K figured it out somehow. But it makes zero sense for the cleaner mafia to know that Tsalal were involved with the mine's pollution

You are a member of an exploited community that's slowly being poisoned by a mining corporation. You just discovered evidence that the mine is colluding with the Tsalal scientists to falsify the pollution numbers and can shut them down, thus ending your community's long-standing suffering.

Do you
A - (twist and) shout it as loud as you can from every rooftop, shutting them down.
B - Kill the scientists. Don't say a word about it to anybody, not even the cops that show up at your door and let the mine continue to destroy your community and eventually kill everyone and everything you love.

If Annie K figured it out why couldn't the cleaner posse?

Anyway, the show goes to great lengths to show that the indigenous people do not want the outside authorities around, and do not trust them (with good reason!) We learn in the show that someone in the police force is in the mine's pocket and literally helped cover up the original murder, and is willing to kill to keep covering up stuff, and the police brass from Anchorage are also in the mine's pocket and trying to shut down investigations to protect them. The cops who aren't openly corrupt are still busting up heads as the mine's goon squad.

Like I dunno I find a lot of issues in this show, but "These indigenous people distrusted the police and handled this situation in a way I personally don't think is plausible" isn't one I'd agree with.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

did the janitorial staff know about Tsalal's ties to the mine pollution? I think they were just avenging Annie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also it kind of just rings hollow because is there any story of something like that ever happening? Or is it just some kind of fantasy.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

not much to say other than that was really loving bad and its clear this was an entirely different script that they tried to shove into a True Detective shaped hole.

i dont think i've ever groaned louder than seeing that orange peel spiral lmao

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

If Annie K figured it out why couldn't the cleaner posse?

Anyway, the show goes to great lengths to show that the indigenous people do not want the outside authorities around, and do not trust them (with good reason!) We learn in the show that someone in the police force is in the mine's pocket and literally helped cover up the original murder, and is willing to kill to keep covering up stuff, and the police brass from Anchorage are also in the mine's pocket and trying to shut down investigations to protect them. The cops who aren't openly corrupt are still busting up heads as the mine's goon squad.

Like I dunno I find a lot of issues in this show, but "These indigenous people distrusted the police and handled this situation in a way I personally don't think is plausible" isn't one I'd agree with.

They didn't handle it though. The murder of the scientists doesn't solve anything. The research data and the secret lab are safe and the company will just send over another couple of scientists and the poisoning of the community will continue.

If they had just made a copy of the data they found and sent it in anonymously to all the largest national newspapers/media, that would have been "handling it". It's what got the mine completely closed in the end.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ghosthotel posted:

i dont think i've ever groaned louder than seeing that orange peel spiral lmao

Not even when Clark said “Time is a flat circle”?

I flipped double birds at my TV.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

Not even when Clark said “Time is a flat circle”?

I flipped double birds at my TV.

That line is so effective in-universe in S1 cuz it's the methcook child abuse guy who says it first which fucks Rust up further enough for him to bring it up 17 years later

In this one its just uhhhh rock bottom of television writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

GABA ghoul posted:

They didn't handle it though. The murder of the scientists doesn't solve anything. The research data and the secret lab are safe and the company will just send over another couple of scientists and the poisoning of the community will continue.

If they had just made a copy of the data they found and sent it in anonymously to all the largest national newspapers/media, that would have been "handling it". It's what got the mine completely closed in the end.

I don't think that mattered too much for the plot of the show but it did leave an empty feeling at the end. Nothing really got resolved other than closure on what happened to Annie K. The status quo was still the same

I'm not going to sit here as a white guy and council the indigenous women on how to handle the situation. It just felt like the wheels of the plot spun in place, kind of like nothing that happened mattered or was significant to Ennis' problems.