Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Read a new article abour the chinese spy that was staying in australia. Again the articles never mention that the guy worked for chinese intelligence agency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1758672616674525394

time to experiment with boreholes

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Sorry China, the US is way too far ahead in the huge bore game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

In the borehole pressure mines 100km beneath Planetsurface, at the Mohorovicic Discontinuity where crust gives way to mantle, temperatures often reach levels well in excess of 1000 degrees Celsius. Exploitation of Planet's resources under such brutal conditions has require quantum advances in robotic and teleoperational technology.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

In the borehole pressure mines 100km beneath Planetsurface, at the Mohorovicic Discontinuity where crust gives way to mantle, temperatures often reach levels well in excess of 1000 degrees Celsius. Exploitation of Planet's resources under such brutal conditions has require quantum advances in robotic and teleoperational technology.

correctly bet with myself that you were absolutely going to post this quote

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

stephenthinkpad posted:

So a few days ago the Taiwanese side of the coast guard chased after a mainland speed boat and caused it to flip over and two men died.

This would have been a big deal if it was the coast guard from any other country in SCS. But it's Taiwan so I don't how how Beijing will play out yet. Still a big deal because it happened during CNY period.

This is the early response

there could be more follow up "action" targeting the Kinmen Taiwanese coastguard portion of the fleet not the military side. Latest chinese podcast spent a whole episode discuss over what should be the proper response, which led me to think there would be more push back from Beijing.

Supposedly the PRC coastguard is going to be doing constant patrols around Kinmen from now on. Source: a tweet

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
You know, I keep wondering how North Korea is getting along, and it made me wonder if they haven't considered joining BRICS? I don't think China is hostile to them, and I don't think the other nations would be either? I'm guessing it has to do with the west likely trying to use any opening up against them/to justify hysterical reaction against such? It seems like if they ever do it would dramatically accelerate the process of South Korea once again being the more backward of the two.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

thechosenone posted:

You know, I keep wondering how North Korea is getting along, and it made me wonder if they haven't considered joining BRICS? I don't think China is hostile to them, and I don't think the other nations would be either? I'm guessing it has to do with the west likely trying to use any opening up against them/to justify hysterical reaction against such? It seems like if they ever do it would dramatically accelerate the process of South Korea once again being the more backward of the two.

My impression is they don't trust anyone except maybe China. They probably suspect the West would try to use the new connections to infiltrate. I don't really blame them but it would be nice for them to get more support.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

My impression is they don't trust anyone except maybe China. They probably suspect the West would try to use the new connections to infiltrate. I don't really blame them but it would be nice for them to get more support.

Pretty sure they also don't trust China. It's a there-be-dragons place, even if you're Chinese. They actually shot China's main guy there some years ago. Don't think that was fake.
Fake edit: there-be-loongs

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was just reading a couple Chinese EV articles. We got so many of them from European source now because the EU is trying to put up new kinds of trade tariff barrier to save their own auto industry (all these happened before the energy hike EU did it in themselves)

So these articles would say correct things like "Europe car makers are 5 years behind Chinese EV" etc but none of them would say why. To me isn't it obvious? That industrial policy works, and industrial policy is the main reason Chinese EV tech is x year ahead of competition. And this happened before in the solar panel industry, which I guess is smaller and the Brussel people were too busy to take notice.

Are the western "economists" capable of saying IP is a viable development model? Or they are 100% mouth pieces of the capitalist class and can not touch this IP topic?

Go back to the EV subject, EU can change their own import and tariff policies all they want to stop Chinese EV entering EU market (like what the US did to Chinese cars), but it's not going to help the Germany EV becoming more competitive outside of EU. If they want to be competitive in the world even German cars and Tesla would have to use a lot of Chinese EV components inside to stay in the game. Also Europe still exports a good deal to China so their own goods will be exposed to China's retaliatory tariff.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Wow, a lot of big ups in Chinese economy. Domestic tourism up 34% year over year too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, North Korea's probably been having all their paranoia be entirely justified for decades at this point.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are the western "economists" capable of saying IP is a viable development model? Or they are 100% mouth pieces of the capitalist class and can not touch this IP topic?

Do you really need to ask this question?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
North Korea has half the population of SK, they can't open their economy too much without getting too much economical influence from SK. I don't think the BRI model is the best for NK.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do you really need to ask this question?

I think there are probably a couple economist version of Mearsheimer who gets shut down by the mainstream platforms and only get interview request from the smallest youtube channels. But I don't follow economic academia to know who they are.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think there are probably a couple economist version of Mearsheimer who gets shut down by the mainstream platforms and only get interview request from the smallest youtube channels. But I don't follow economic academia to know who they are.

they write for like the FT or other newspapers for the elite and are firmly shut away from the general public OP

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:thunk:
North Koreans gather cigarette butts to sell to clothing makers

www.rfa.org posted:

Hungry North Koreans are swooping in ahead of cleaning crews for large public events to collect the butts of filtered cigarettes, which they then sell for meager sums of cash, residents in the country told Radio Free Asia.

The cigarette butts have filters made of fibers that can either be recycled into new cigarettes or used to make clothing, sources said.

On Feb. 16, North Korea celebrated the Day of the Shining Star, the birth anniversary of leader Kim Jong Un’s late father and predecessor Kim Jong Il. 

It is customary for every resident of every city to present flowers at statues of the late “Dear Leader,” and people can spend several hours in the town square waiting in line for their turn. 

“The flower ceremony in Chongju ended at noon,” a resident of the northeastern province of  North Pyongan told RFA Korean, speaking anonymously for reasons of personal safety. “After the event, many women came to pick up cigarette butts around the street and in front of the statue, where thousands of people had gathered to give flowers.”

He explained that men who are bored of waiting often light up a smoke, and then throw the butts on the ground when they’re done. RFA reported previously that there is a ban on smoking in public, but it is often only enforced for women. 

The resident said that most of the people gathering the cigarette butts after the Day of the Shining Star were women.

Filtered cigarettes were once a sign of wealth and status that only rich people could afford in North Korea, while most smokers used hand-rolled cigarettes with no filters.. In the 2010s, state-owned factories started making filtered cigarettes more cheaply and they became widely available, giving rise to more cigarette butt litter.

A resident of North Pyongan’s Ryongchon county reported a similar scene of women gathering cigarette butts following the laying of wreaths for Day of the Shining Star at an area monument called the Tower of Eternal life.

“You can get money for filtered cigarette butts if you take them to people who make winter clothes,” she said, speaking on condition of anonymity citing security concerns. “But, if you take them to those who make cigarettes, you can sell them at a slightly higher price. So some farmers survive by picking up cigarette butts at stations and marketplaces.”

The price of 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs.) of filtered cigarette butts is around 10,000 won (US$1.13) which is the same price of about 3 kilograms (6.6 lbs.) of corn at the market, the resident explained.

“We know that we can find lots of cigarette butts at political events such as the Day of the Shining Star,” she said. “Some of the farmers choose to pick up cigarette butts rather than participate in the event itself.”

Translated by Claire S. Lee. Edited by Eugene Whong.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

To me isn't it obvious? That industrial policy works, and industrial policy is the main reason Chinese EV tech is x year ahead of competition. And this happened before in the solar panel industry, which I guess is smaller and the Brussel people were too busy to take notice.

In 2009, when I entered econ, the theme of industrial policy was "something that we should review its taboo status, to start a discussion". This was in a heterodox course in Brazil. It's 2024 and industrial policy is now seen as a very difficult topic with too many complications (but no longer taboo).

After the neoclassical triumph through neoliberalism and the "validation" through the fall of the USSR, the disciplines of economic planning basically fell into epistemological collapse. This might sound like an exaggeration, but I don't think there is a better way to describe what happened - the ideas of "planning" and "organization" within economics suddenly cratered and were replaced by the ideas in business administration, following the ivy league/london school of economics curricular model. Like, you could learn accounting, cost analysis, econometrics, industrial economics (not the math models but the more in-depth discipline if you were lucky) but there was no "alright let's bring all of this together and let's try planning for a railroad as the state", which is very different than business planning.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

just run the government like a business. best of both worlds

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

sell all the assets, fire half the staff and make the other half work twice as hard, got it.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Like, you could learn accounting, cost analysis, econometrics, industrial economics (not the math models but the more in-depth discipline if you were lucky) but there was no "alright let's bring all of this together and let's try planning for a railroad as the state", which is very different than business planning.

We solved everything, no need to act on anything anymore. Learn only for the aesthetic pleasure of learning, so you can sound important and knowledgeable at the next meeting or soiree.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

crepeface posted:

sell all the assets, fire half the staff and make the other half work twice as hard, got it.

You also forgot put half as much in the next product, which you then slam twice as much into advertising.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

In 2009, when I entered econ, the theme of industrial policy was "something that we should review its taboo status, to start a discussion". This was in a heterodox course in Brazil. It's 2024 and industrial policy is now seen as a very difficult topic with too many complications (but no longer taboo).

After the neoclassical triumph through neoliberalism and the "validation" through the fall of the USSR, the disciplines of economic planning basically fell into epistemological collapse. This might sound like an exaggeration, but I don't think there is a better way to describe what happened - the ideas of "planning" and "organization" within economics suddenly cratered and were replaced by the ideas in business administration, following the ivy league/london school of economics curricular model. Like, you could learn accounting, cost analysis, econometrics, industrial economics (not the math models but the more in-depth discipline if you were lucky) but there was no "alright let's bring all of this together and let's try planning for a railroad as the state", which is very different than business planning.

Wasn't Brazil one of the few countries that tried to build up its own computer industry? And still have electronic appliance import tariff? Even Brazil is taking the Western economy theories almost wholesale.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

industrial policy works, and industrial policy is the main reason Chinese EV tech is x year ahead of competition.

Where can I read more about what "industrial policy" is exactly? Any info welcome!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Funny you should mention it because I was just reading Suharto’s son is doing the Bong Bong comeback thing and I was curious if anyone in this thread had thoughts on it. Or maybe it was a bad article and he was just a general under Suharto

All these dweebs think they're Napoleon III

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I love China bad articles, lots of chances to ask people "so they've been collapsing since 2012, when do they cross the finish line"

We've been predicting their collapse for thirty years. We're definite right this time though.

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Feb 21, 2024

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

genericnick posted:

Pretty sure they also don't trust China. It's a there-be-dragons place, even if you're Chinese. They actually shot China's main guy there some years ago. Don't think that was fake.
Fake edit: there-be-loongs

I can't find anything on this, do you mean the ambassador? Any recollection as to when?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Guam is US territory, not a country

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Weka posted:

I can't find anything on this, do you mean the ambassador? Any recollection as to when?

Just from my money, Kim got rid of his uncle from his mother side when he came to power. That uncle was "more pro China" not "very pro China." Both the first Kim and 2nd Kim had their shares of "clamping down factions" so pro China might just be an excuse.

Anybody who are familiar with Chinese palace history will immediately recognize Kim Jung Un's ridding his uncle a classical act of young emperor kicking out the "in-law gang". It has happened many times including Kang Xi.

North Korea is not a typical communist country so a lot of their own political rules were set around the time of 2nd Kim.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Feb 21, 2024

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Spergin Morlock posted:

Guam is US territory, not a country

I would like to speak to the manager of this infographic

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mandel Brotset posted:

I would like to speak to the manager of this infographic

same with the Marshall islands. who the gently caress made that thing?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Germany is also a US territory.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Wasn't Brazil one of the few countries that tried to build up its own computer industry? And still have electronic appliance import tariff? Even Brazil is taking the Western economy theories almost wholesale.

Oh no, we never had anything of such. We had a couple of industrial capitalists who tried to did come up with some of the very basic stuff - circuitry electronics - but got destroyed by foreign competition.

And I wish I could agree with that "even" you used, but it's not true. Brazil has some great original thought in political economy and many related areas, but never managed to reach a dominant position because we are still a latifundia colony. Bolsonaro's pick for minister of economy was a Chicago school boy who openly admitted that he put his money in tax havens.

that's the Brazilian elite. There will be a day where we can emulate China about dealing with that

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

fart simpson posted:

Want to buyback some government stocks.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

amazed at tiny portugal with 21 US military bases, where did they even fit them all

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

amazed at tiny portugal with 21 US military bases, where did they even fit them all

Same, plus I'm pretty surprised that the US doesn't have more in France. I would think that they would like to have some on one or two on the million islands that France has in the Indian/Pacific Ocean. Probably just no point to them. Not securing/projecting anything with troops in the south Pacific

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Same, plus I'm pretty surprised that the US doesn't have more in France. I would think that they would like to have some on one or two on the million islands that France has in the Indian/Pacific Ocean. Probably just no point to them. Not securing/projecting anything with troops in the south Pacific

it's because France has an interest in keeping their own capabilities and assets under their own control and wouldn't allow US or UK forces to use them unless poo poo was completely sideways

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TeenageArchipelago posted:

france demands some pretensions at sovereignty so the us troops in france live on 'french' bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
yeah France is unique among US subject states in how much effort they put into pretending they're not and that the relationship is actually a completely voluntary association between equals, one in which the French could disobey the Americans at any time if they wanted to, they just don't ever want to