Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally started on Nocturne. Died at the tutorial battle cause Kodamas got Crit->Double Zan. Next attempt Preta gets a crit and deals my exact HP.

Skill issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nocturne gets dramatically easier once you leave the hospital.

V.2 looks interesting. Out of all the things I guessed would be in the game grindrails was not one.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Finally started on Nocturne. Died at the tutorial battle cause Kodamas got Crit->Double Zan. Next attempt Preta gets a crit and deals my exact HP.

Skill issue

It is pretty funny that the tutorial battles are the most threatening part of the first area. As a serious recommendation, I’d put your first 10 level ups into VI so you have enough HP to handle fights with awful starts. Nocturne uses linear scaling for damage bonuses from level ups, so the Demi Fiend always hits things harder as he levels regardless of what you put your points into.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh yeah I know, specially since I picked Hard on purpose. Was planning on putting Vit as a priority early on anyways. The skill issue is I could have done it first try had I used the Maragi Stone on the Kodamas, and the only thing that stung is I lost the free MAG on levelup from Magatama reaction :v:

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I have had close calls in the tutorial fights, but surprisingly I’ve never lost them in all the times I’ve played Nocturne. (I’ve beaten Hard mode 5 or 6 times) Losing a random bonus is always the worst, I once got gifted an Incense from a demon and got hit with Lullaby-Eternal Sleep right in front of a Terminal door.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I really feel like going into the new stuff with a max-level cheat persona is probably going to be a pretty bad way to experience it.

I’m trying to find more reasons to pick it up at launch rather than waiting on a steam sale, not less

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fake fan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I’m trying to find more reasons to pick it up at launch rather than waiting on a steam sale, not less

I mean the honest answer is that if you don't want to play the game then don't buy it. If you really just care about the new story content then wait for an LP or something. But going through at max level and oneshotting everything seems like a really poor way to experience a game you paid $60 for.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the honest answer is that if you don't want to play the game then don't buy it. If you really just care about the new story content then wait for an LP or something. But going through at max level and oneshotting everything seems like a really poor way to experience a game you paid $60 for.

I already spent $60 on the game (or I guess half of it now) once already? Yeah no, if they’re going to say “the changes only come part way through the game,” then yeah, I think I’d have some fun treating it as a poor man’s new game plus until new poo poo happens (and at that point if the challenge is right and it was as fun as vanilla SMT V was, I can just… stop using Shiva until optional super boss stuff comes around).

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Really wish they'd cut you a deal if you already own V. $20 off, sure, fine. Even if you accept that premise that it couldn't be a really big DLC or something, 'pick three boys' is bizarre.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I already spent $60 on the game (or I guess half of it now) once already? Yeah no, if they’re going to say “the changes only come part way through the game,” then yeah, I think I’d have some fun treating it as a poor man’s new game plus until new poo poo happens (and at that point if the challenge is right and it was as fun as vanilla SMT V was, I can just… stop using Shiva until optional super boss stuff comes around).

Unless they change things, you're probably not going to be able to actually summon Shiva without a metric loving shitload of grinding to get the money to do so. Or by buying the cheat DLC for money and grinding that. It's just a dumb way to experience things

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If it can be an upgrade on the Switch I will get it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MechaX posted:

yup the original release the 100 hour game. it s now half a game because of this. 100% lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally outta the hospital and lol yeah, besides a Full Kagutsuchi fight against Hua Pos that almost kicked my rear end everything was easier than the tutorial. Forneus basically got shocked and died like a chump. Game's still fun despite knowing a lot about it already! Pixie got a skill change that I let through in case it removed Seduce and she learned Media lmao.

Also the game is actually localized in Spanish, and it has its charms between more curses in dialog and the hilarious mistranslations (The Haunt race becomes Hunter and the Foul race becomes... Stinky)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Doi art from the official webpage

The Girls. Blondie feels like an absolute trainwreck of a design.

DLC Konoha Sakuya

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the Doiseigns are getting better. His Konohana Sakuya is a bit off though. I think it's the lime green tights.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I really like left girl she just looks like that look is her jam right there

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I started liking the one with the hat more when I realized she was just a full rear end skeleton under there.

Oh yeah here's Yoko's art.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

Doi art from the official webpage

The Girls. Blondie feels like an absolute trainwreck of a design.

DLC Konoha Sakuya

they all look sick as hell

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the freakin goth club...!!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Doi's demon design mostly being just hosed up girls is a bit meh but alright

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Better than Toku rejects at least

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Doi keeps improving, I like his Amon design the best I think.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Doi's demon design mostly being just hosed up girls is a bit meh but alright

yeah sucks rear end to have a bunch of cool corrupted women. wtf are you talking about lmfao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

doi to me: the guy who fixed how hosed up and awful half of 4s art was and made a bunch of the cool modern designs

doi to this thread: some sort of evil devilman whos crimes are too long to list

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

yeah sucks rear end to have a bunch of cool corrupted women. wtf are you talking about lmfao

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Evolution of Lilith

NSFW on the first one.

Feel like Lilith from 4 missed the theme.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Stux posted:

I want hosed up monsters!!! It makes it cuter when they call me young man in an old man voice

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rockabilly Lilith is still coolest but the new design is pretty good

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It’s hosed up that the new Lilith doesn’t have three fingers.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

She'll have three fingers in Nahobino mode.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Feel like Lilith from 4 missed the theme.

Also NSFW, scandulous!

I feel like going from the archangels to facing Lilith with Jonathan is a good way to make you second guess your choice. Seeing how they have some similarities, beyond just being created by the same artist.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

somebody help me, i'm grinding at shibuya cause i don't wanna fuse my demons before getting the good skills to pass and im already level 10 (at the very least I wanted Makajama from Will-o to pass onto a less lovely demon). why do i have to wait for compedium

On a more serious note, given Amala apparently has doors locked behind Demi-Fiend aligment, is it much a bother if I leave off mastering Magatama with meh final skills so it's easier to manipulate later? Mostly cause I know I'm also gonna have decision paralysis on skills besides Tornado/Magma Axis/Boosts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Rockabilly Lilith is still coolest but the new design is pretty good

Yeah, the other Liliths are fine and all but that design is top tier

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the other Liliths are fine and all but that design is top tier

+1

agreedo

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

On a more serious note, given Amala apparently has doors locked behind Demi-Fiend aligment, is it much a bother if I leave off mastering Magatama with meh final skills so it's easier to manipulate later? Mostly cause I know I'm also gonna have decision paralysis on skills besides Tornado/Magma Axis/Boosts.

The alignment doors only lead to Shady Brokers with special custom demons, and they aren’t the most notable ones in the game. I’d just recommend looking those up and deciding if it’s worth your time to set up for that.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

CullenDaGaDee posted:

The alignment doors only lead to Shady Brokers with special custom demons, and they aren’t the most notable ones in the game. I’d just recommend looking those up and deciding if it’s worth your time to set up for that.

I heard there were also extra Deathstones in the rooms, but if that's not true then yeah, demons seem to have nice skillsets for fusions but nothing as unique as Pierce Grimmy. I guess as mentioned I can just leave some Magatama unmaxed if the final skill is meh. Cause door unlocks are permanent once you fulfill the conditions right?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I do think there are extra deathstones, but there’s enough in the game without those doors to fuse every fiend anyway. Any door that has a stat check, including Alignment, checks it every time you go to use it. Unfortunately, this means you can lock yourself out of the alignment rooms even if you qualified previously, so make sure you have the money you need if you do check them out.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

oh wait now my brain is going "NG+ is just and extra press turn and you're playing on hard already, just go TDE first playthrough and thus go Physical". i hate that voice that eventually makes me go play the same game again or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

She'll have three fingers in Nahobino

:emptyquote: