Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good guide as to which strategems/weapons/armor/etc I should be unlocking? I'm not very good at following metas in great depth and I usually just sort of do as the goons broadly suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely don't like higher difficulty bug missions, for the life of me I just can't find them fun at all. None of the higher end bugs are particularly fun to fight for me. You either dump a bunch of ammo into breaking a charger's legs to hurt them, or you shoot their rear end when they spin around like they're trying out for dark souls 2, and every other bug is just so heavily armoured the autocannon bounces right off of them unless you manage to hit them right in the narrow glowing green spots. I don't even know what's up with bile titans, after a few shots their guts explode then they just wander around invincible. And god help you if you focus on trying to take down the big thing because a million small ones swarm you and if they so much as touch you, you're slowed for the rest of your life.

None of those problems seem to exist for robots.

I think it's just that autocannon has more of a tendency to deflect off bug armor compared to robot armor. No idea what mechanic is behind the deflection rate though. Also while autocannon is usable vs bugs it works much better vs bots just from a mechanics perspective, especially if you're running it solo without a loader. Long, stationary reload time if you shoot too fast and empty it and tons of recoil so you need to hold somewhat still to shoot it works a lot better vs a faction that attacks mostly range with some melee in the mix than vs a faction that tries to swarm you in melee with some incredibly dangerous medium ranged mobs in the mix. You can kite a bunch of berserkers and a devestator or two around enough to get a reload in, but kiting a few spewers and a couple of chargers around long enough to get off a reload is a lot trickier, especially if there are a couple of hunters tagging along.

it seems way more important to be able to be mobile and either clear chaff or dodge it when you're fighting bugs, thus the railgun + laser drone/personal shield superiority, whereas bots seems more about dealing with threats as quickly as you can.

Try using EATs & laser drone for bug missions; they're actually super strong. If you get two leg shots off, one EATs drop takes care of two chargers, and two to the head/mouth kills a titan. And the cooldown is fast enough that you'll be able to toss one at the occasional bug hole/commander/spewer too. Plus a few ez objectives like spore trees and radio broadcasts.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
in a first for me, the dropship coming in opened fire on an enemy and killed me, then spun out of control and crashed

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What is the endgame loop of Helldivers? Are there like raids or under leveled time trials or right now it's just do the missions on the hardest difficulty

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Make sure you aren't all readied up when you kick an AFK person. If the host kicks someone and it starts the mission because everyone left is ready, it drops the host in with none of their picked stratagems :gonk:

Extra fun when the pubbie you're with won't drop a second support weapon so you have to spend 2/3 the mission with nothing but your primary, secondary and grenades until you finally find a random spawn :nallears:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 21, 2024

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Waroduce posted:

What is the endgame loop of Helldivers? Are there like raids or under leveled time trials or right now it's just do the missions on the hardest difficulty

Spread managed democracy

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

They claim to have plans to add more factions and mission types and stratagems and weapons and pages in the warbond store on a pretty aggressive schedule (monthly), so the endgame loop is "play on the hardest difficulty you can and have fun with friends while slowly progressing the always expanding unlock list".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Same as any co-op 4 person PvE game with randomized features, you crank the difficulty up and fight through the chaos and try to make it to the end alive.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The endgame is basically doing your part in the Galactic War.

It'd be nice if high difficulties had a bigger impact on war contribution than they do now though. Right now it just seems to be # of missions played = impact.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
do you guys know how long the friend code is good for when you generate one?
It seems like it's a temporary thing?
I'm trying to figure out the best way to get some friendos going on PS5.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Waroduce posted:

there will be a third faction 100%. they are keeping very close to helldivers 1 and when we get to alien homeworlds, or they push all the way to super earth, there will be unique objective types.

but yes, the ultimate endgame loop is having fun with your friends doing the hardest difficulty missions you can manage.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fangz posted:

I do wonder who the heck is setting up those illegal broadcasts on bug worlds.

Howlin' Mad Murphy's gotta get his broadcast out there somehow.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 21, 2024

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

LuiCypher posted:

Alright, I do have a stratagem/weapon that sucks:

The ballistic shield.

At face value, it does what it says on the tin - you hold it and it reduces the damage you take from ranged fire (and maybe melee damage? I haven't tried it against bugs because it's better to just murder them en masse at range instead of letting them get close enough to hit you).

However - because it is a held object, the code for holding the shield is the same as the code for holding the SSSD or other objects - in other words, when you get physics'd/ragdolled, you will drop the shield.

Also because it is a held object, that means if you want to use a primary while holding it up you must take an SMG. No Breakers or Liberators for you, unless you want to be forced into using your pistol.

At first, it seems like a really great thing to take against the bots given the amount of firepower they put downrange. But it scales very poorly with ascending difficulty against the bots, because at higher difficulties, there are greater numbers of bots that shoot rockets. If you've ever had the pleasure of fighting bots with rockets, then you know that any rocket hit will ragdoll you - which on top of sending you flying, also forces you to drop the shield (if you have it in hand).

Finally.- it takes up a backpack slot. There are a lot of competitive options for backpack slot, including the alarmingly more effective shield generator (which doesn't take up any of your hands to use, is always on when it can be, and doesn't get dropped whenever you get sent flying).

That's a pretty safe thing to call garbage, imo.

Buddy was testing the shield out last night. He called in a supply drop or something, bounced the stratagem off a rock, and it ended up sticking to the shield on his back and almost killed him. Goddamn hilarious.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BenK_Animation/status/1760073970106487289?t=VuH1OIrpXr_XMcTsG1m9vQ&s=19

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

I think it's just that autocannon has more of a tendency to deflect off bug armor compared to robot armor. No idea what mechanic is behind the deflection rate though. Also while autocannon is usable vs bugs it works much better vs bots just from a mechanics perspective, especially if you're running it solo without a loader. Long, stationary reload time if you shoot too fast and empty it and tons of recoil so you need to hold somewhat still to shoot it works a lot better vs a faction that attacks mostly range with some melee in the mix than vs a faction that tries to swarm you in melee with some incredibly dangerous medium ranged mobs in the mix. You can kite a bunch of berserkers and a devestator or two around enough to get a reload in, but kiting a few spewers and a couple of chargers around long enough to get off a reload is a lot trickier, especially if there are a couple of hunters tagging along.

I'd argue the opposite. In fact i'm way more likely to leave my AC at home if i'm doing robots. Devastators take way more shots than your average warrior or even bile spewer. A hive guardian is like, 2 shots. It takes like 2 shots to strip a rocket devastator's rocket pods off. And then one or two more to actually kill it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fangz posted:

it wasn't always an ugly planet, a bug planet, a planet hostile to life as we know it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Waroduce posted:

My assumption is that it is like Deep Rock Galactic. You play the same stuff you have been for a couple hundred hours because its fun, even after unlocking everything.

Whether it will manage to stay fun enough for me to get 800+ hours out of like Deep Rock... we'll have to see.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the new content, the new items, etc., will keep things fresh. Then I'm sure they'll do a big ol' DLC thing that'll escalate, and/or introduce a prestige system or whatever. Whatever the live service bullshit is elsewhere will probably be introduced here, but likely less aggressively.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a good guide as to which strategems/weapons/armor/etc I should be unlocking? I'm not very good at following metas in great depth and I usually just sort of do as the goons broadly suggest.

Things that have helped me a lot:
- Breaker automatic shotgun, arguably currently the best primary ingame
- Expendable anti tank, great for removing the occasional heavy
- Autocannon, excellent versatile support weapon for against mediums and heavies
- Eagle bombing run, excellent all-around bombardment useful against both groups and heavies
- Eagle 500kg bomb, good for deleting the super heavies as well as larger bases
- Orbital airburst, good for deleting hordes in a hurry

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Breaker loving sucks. Manual reload shotgun is better.

Other than that, Eagle Airstrike is the most important stratagem in the game.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Fangz posted:

Probably whoever is letting the bugs out (the bugs have been raised on farms for the last 100 years after the first game ended, because after they die their bodies decompose into a fuel used by the FTL engines, but now they are getting out of containment somehow).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Manuel reload shotgun comes like 400 medals later in the pass, they ain't going to get to try it for awhile.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

well, there is the Punisher shotgun on the first page...

GaylordButts posted:

Probably whoever is letting the bugs out (the bugs have been raised on farms for the last 100 years after the first game ended, because after they die their bodies decompose into a fuel used by the FTL engines, but now they are getting out of containment somehow).

Super Earth apparently has no loving clue how the bugs travel between worlds too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Mortar Sentries are an amazing utility pick for an early stratagem. Any time you need to bunker down in a base for an objective, it does an amazing job of clearing out the chaff, with only occasional self kills from the rockets!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

well, there is the Punisher shotgun on the first page...

Super Earth apparently has no loving clue how the bugs travel between worlds too.

undemocratically, no doubt

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fangz posted:

Commies

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

JosefStalinator posted:

The most generic loadout is light armour, breaker, uzi, railgun, laser orbital and an eagle to taste. You can alternatively use the auto cannon, a sentry (typically at lower difficulties), grenade launcher, personal shield or an AR.

Things you want always [as of this patch] light armour, stamina booster <-!!

The basic loadout above clears heavies, mobs, and bases like a Swiss Army knife.

jokes posted:

:raise:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

JosefStalinator posted:

Weapons:
  • Defender - SMG: Don't let the fact that it's an SMG fool you - high damage per shot, low recoil, and a middle-of-the-road firing rate results in an automatic weapon that is surprisingly effective at midrange due to it being very easy to control even in full-auto. Plus, you'll never be inconvenienced if you wind up being the one that has to pick up the object for certain objectives, as you can use an SMG while carrying said object. Also, SMGs are really good at backpedaling and firing at hordes since your Helldiver can walk/run one way and point the SMG behind them when firing from the hip.

Stratagems:
  • Anti-Material Rifle: This is just a solid workhorse of a Support weapon that can pull its weight no matter the foe at most difficulties thanks to being able to penetrate medium armor, having good damage per shot (albeit not as high as the Autocannon or Railgun), and being able to reload while on the move. Plus, it doesn't require a teammate or you to wear a backpack for reloads so it allows you to be pretty self-sufficient/more flexible in your loadout.
  • Mortar Sentry: Easily the least fussy sentry when it comes to placement since it fires at enemies indirectly, meaning you can place it pretty much anywhere (ideally in a very safe/high spot out of view of most enemies) and it will do work. Very good on any sort of defense mission, or even used as part of an assault against Bots. A little less useful against bugs, since their desire to munch on you means that there is a non-zero chance your mortar sends an explosive care package at the bug trying to eat you and frags you as well.
  • Rocket Sentry: What if the Autocannon Sentry didn't have an rear end turn rate and tried to prioritize armored targets as opposed to the first thing it sees? That's what the Rocket Sentry does in a nutshell. Explosive rockets mean that its projectiles will never bounce off heavy armor and it might even chunk off some of that armor to expose weak spots. Just don't stand behind it when it's firing unless you like getting knocked over by backblast.

Armor:
Armor is bugged right now - the armor rating has no impact on your ability to take hits or lack thereof (all of the armors functionally have the same armor rating, meaning 100 - although I think extra padding does work as intended and makes you a bit sturdier), but running speed/stamina regen stats work as intended on armor. Therefore, the best armor is whatever light armor has the secondary bonuses you like the most (ranging from +stims and longer duration stims, +grenades, recoil reduction, coin flip to survive a mortal injury, lower visibility to enemies, recon pings, etc.).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 21, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

JosefStalinator posted:

Orbital airburst is great value early on for clearing groups since it's 3 bursts in a tight area, great for clearing chokepoints. Eagle strafing run, airstrike and clusterbombs similarly are useful all the way through for clearing groups, and destroying buildings/bigger targets. Mortar turrets are extremely good on bot missions because the chance of bots getting into melee range (and therefore you getting a mortar to your snoot) is much lower than with bugs.

Weaponwise definitely get the expendable anti tanks, they will make dealing with chargers a lot easier. The cooldown is very low so you can just drop it in anytime a breach/drop happens just to have the option.

The recoilless fills a similar job as the antitanks only with a reload and ammo capacity. Theyre good, but the extremely long reload can get you killed in bug missions in particular

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

The radar range boost is great too. It’s a really noticeable improvement and helps you plan your route around big annoying patrols, especially on planets with awful visibility.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Unlocked the railgun and I can see why pretty much everyone over lvl 20 rolls with it. Kind of disappointing, hope they balance the rest of the weapons to be more viable so everyone isn't just running the same loadouts for most missions

I remember HD1 had a similiar problem in that most people use the laser rifle as it had unlimited ammo

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Fangz posted:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It's Super Earth. They do it to themselves.

Those "illegal broadcasts" are probably just SOS's which the public can't know about.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waroduce posted:

Spread managed democracy

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

jokes posted:

Do you mean the punisher (first one) or the slugger? I haven't tried the latter yet, but the punisher is just flat-out inferior to the breaker. Pretty much the same effective damage and range, much worse rate of fire, and the single reload is not particularly useful.

Anyway, I finally found the perfect way to take down stalker lairs :orks101:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...75c02daec26c13&

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waroduce posted:

just buy the god damned game, it's difficult

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I appreciate how useful sidearms are in this. I swap to the machine pistol a couple times per mission generally, its a sweet little gun.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

sushibandit posted:

Well obviously the patchnotes were indicating that they made the mission easier for the automatons because too many helldivers were succeeding and we're supposed to lose, or something.

My group has been pretty consistently clearing those missions on suicidal, and I can't say as I've noticed a difference since the patch.

Haven't logged in today so can't speak to tuning changes, but the issue people had was the spawn intervals for even easy were closer to suicidal's. So even without access to the tools to deal with drop ships or even armor a squad potentially could see a screen constantly filled with both.
It's why I thought they were intentionally tuned so we'd lose that campaign, since a coordinated group properly kiting is really the only way to rescue to civilians

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Away all Goats posted:

Unlocked the railgun and I can see why pretty much everyone over lvl 20 rolls with it. Kind of disappointing, hope they balance the rest of the weapons to be more viable so everyone isn't just running the same loadouts for most missions

I remember HD1 had a similiar problem in that most people use the laser rifle as it had unlimited ammo

We need the trident back so bad

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Perestroika posted:

Do you mean the punisher (first one) or the slugger? I haven't tried the latter yet, but the punisher is just flat-out inferior to the breaker. Pretty much the same effective damage and range, much worse rate of fire, and the single reload is not particularly useful.

The punisher and the slugger are better and funner than the breaker and i dont care how many meta analyses say otherwise

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think the breaker is way more fun than the punisher.

Watching the slugger stagger devastators however will never get old