Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/article-786635

The Egyptian military is basically a patronage network in uniform with an army that appears impressive in terms of manpower and equipment, but it is WOEFULLY unprepared to fight any kind of major war that isn't against its unarmed and defenseless people and its bloated officer corps is smart enough to know that. They are not going to risk their position of prestige and perks by getting the poo poo kicked out of them yet again.

Couldn't you say the same of the Saudi military lol, they get brand new American toys and get the poo poo kicked out of them by the Houthis on the reg, because they suck at military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

Couldn't you say the same of the Saudi military lol, they get brand new American toys and get the poo poo kicked out of them by the Houthis on the reg, because they suck at military.

Any chance to post this picture of a Saudi SOF guy with the optic on his weapon mounted backwards

So to answer your question, absolutely yes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If he makes the target look smaller, then they're less intimidating.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Any chance to post this picture of a Saudi SOF guy with the optic on his weapon mounted backwards

He's just taking on a voluntary handicap to make it a fairer fight.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

He's just taking on a voluntary handicap to make it a fairer fight.

Grindset mentality is total

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The quintessential gear queer.

Worse so because a tacticool nerd would probably make sure his loving optic was on right.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

How do you even do that? I sort of get putting it on backward for a minute, but then you look down it, say “lol I’m dumb”, and fix it.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I probably wouldn't want the tie down in front of the ejection port as well. Is the 550 cord going to the trigger guard?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wrong Theory posted:

I probably wouldn't want the tie down in front of the ejection port as well. Is the 550 cord going to the trigger guard?

it looks like it might be going to the rear lower receiver push pin? I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, maybe there's some kind of flat metal eyelet attached at the end of the cord so that the pin can go all the way through.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

How do you even do that? I sort of get putting it on backward for a minute, but then you look down it, say “lol I’m dumb”, and fix it.

You'd only realize that if you looked through it after mounting it or had glanced at it more than the 15 minutes of fam fire you had that day in Georgia before you hit the strip club at 1430.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I remember in the PX I saw a bunch of very fat guys in MARPAT, like both 350+ plus fellows at like average height which say what you want about marines but you don’t see a lot of obese ones, but then I realized they were just saudis doing an exchange tour.

Jordanian guys were pretty solid though

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 19, 2024

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Feel free to punish me or shut me down if this is the wrong place for this.

I listen to a podcast called Angry Planet. They recently had an episode called 'Can You Fight A Moral War in a Tight Space' which had a guest named John Spencer who seems to specialize in urban warfare and things like that. I used to think that Angry Planet did a pretty descent job at analyzing conflicts or just bringing qualified people on to shed light onto recent happenings. But since October 7th I feel like they have been showing more and more of their rear end on things relating to Israel/Gaza and it's been eye opening to me. At first I thought they just brought one pro Israel person on and that guest was just bad, but then in later episodes they mention the negative feedback they get and then continue to have some very pro IDF rhetoric. Anyway this latest episode had this guy John Spencer talk about how the IDF is going to great lengths to minimize non-combatant casualties and I've just been thinking about how I feel about all of this.

One of the things that's been really tricky for me these last several months has been how difficult it is to ascertain the truth of this conflict. When Russia invaded Ukraine, there was obviously a lot of bad reporting or deliberate misinformation being spread but this conflict feels like it's on a whole different level. I can listen to these podcasts talking about how good of a job the IDF is doing then I go onto Twitter and see IDF soldier gleefully talking about doing monstrous things. I know I am not adding a lot to the conversation here but this looks and feels different. I feel like the US abandoned the Kurdish people. I feel like we were too slow and have done too little to help Ukraine, but we were/are doing something. Then I see and hear how many people are just so supportive of the IDF and this one just feels different. Like a larger step, the veneer wears thinner or something.

Anyway, did we ever learn more about the IDFs immediate response after the Oct 7 attack? I'm specifically curious about the things that looked like the IDF destroyed a bunch (hundreds IIRC) of cars that may or may not have led to the deaths of many civilians. I feel like I've only seen speculation that the IDF acted carelessly but I'm curious if there is a clearer picture at this point.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Anyway, did we ever learn more about the IDFs immediate response after the Oct 7 attack? I'm specifically curious about the things that looked like the IDF destroyed a bunch (hundreds IIRC) of cars that may or may not have led to the deaths of many civilians. I feel like I've only seen speculation that the IDF acted carelessly but I'm curious if there is a clearer picture at this point.

I think that "carelessly" implies that they blew up some civilians while intending to hit enemy combatants, I think the truth is more that they don't care if they're killing combatants, they only care that they're killing Palestinians. The genocide is not a side effect of fighting Hamas, fighting Hamas is an excuse for the genocide.

Also at this point whether or not they committed any specific war crime is kind of a moot point since there are so many war crimes caught on film, audio or gleefully admitted to.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
In that specific instance, the civilians were Israeli.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Electronic Intafada claims to have recorded Hebrew language interviews with Israeli civilians who accused the IDF of firing on Israeli civilians that were later pulled from the airways and references by those stations to the interviews scrubbed. I think they’re a reliable enough source, plus photographs of damage that seem unlikely to be the result of small arms fire along the quick destruction of vehicle wrecks from the festival by Israel is extremely suspicious but I don’t speak Arabic or Hebrew to like be absolutely sure to say more than at least the IDF response on the 7-8th was extremely reckless and it’s at least plausible there was an understanding if not an explicit order to prevent hostages from being taken by shooting them.

Unfortunately any media with access to Israel was not willing to probe that much if at all and if there was such an order given any evidence of that order has been suppressed and they have plenty of time to deal with the forensics.

I’m sure something about it will out in the years ahead because it’s too large of a conspiracy to cover up but that’s not going to happen until the media sours much more on Israel. I could see it coming out when Bibi is gone and trying to pin responsibility for it on him.

E: I think Haaretz had alleged that in at least one case IDF artillery officer said they were shooting kill the hostages, but I can’t get around the paywall right now

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 20, 2024

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

…John Spencer…

FWIW I follow John Spencer’s main podcast https://mwi.westpoint.edu/urban-warfare-project/urban-warfare-project-podcast/ . He has some interesting episodes but holy poo poo he is drinking from the IDF propaganda hose.

Fake edit:

”The IDF Approach to Protecting Civilians in Urban Warfare” posted:

URBAN WARFARE PROJECT
OCT 27, 2023 ⋅ 44:27

Almost immediately after Hamas launched its brutal set of terrorist attacks in Israel, it became clear that the Israel Defense Forces would respond militarily. That meant a campaign against Hamas targets in Gaza. Because of Gaza's heavily urban terrain and the specific location of Hamas military forces, the fight has occurred—and will continue to occur—in deeply challenging environments for military forces, places where the law of armed conflict's provisions aimed at protecting civilians must be followed. To understand the specific measures in place to do so, John Spencer is joined on this episode by Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus, a spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces. He describes the range of mechanisms adopted by Israeli forces to minimize incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians, and damage to civilian property in urban warfare.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Feel free to punish me or shut me down if this is the wrong place for this.

I listen to a podcast called Angry Planet. They recently had an episode called 'Can You Fight A Moral War in a Tight Space' which had a guest named John Spencer who seems to specialize in urban warfare and things like that. I used to think that Angry Planet did a pretty descent job at analyzing conflicts or just bringing qualified people on to shed light onto recent happenings. But since October 7th I feel like they have been showing more and more of their rear end on things relating to Israel/Gaza and it's been eye opening to me. At first I thought they just brought one pro Israel person on and that guest was just bad, but then in later episodes they mention the negative feedback they get and then continue to have some very pro IDF rhetoric. Anyway this latest episode had this guy John Spencer talk about how the IDF is going to great lengths to minimize non-combatant casualties and I've just been thinking about how I feel about all of this.

One of the things that's been really tricky for me these last several months has been how difficult it is to ascertain the truth of this conflict. When Russia invaded Ukraine, there was obviously a lot of bad reporting or deliberate misinformation being spread but this conflict feels like it's on a whole different level. I can listen to these podcasts talking about how good of a job the IDF is doing then I go onto Twitter and see IDF soldier gleefully talking about doing monstrous things. I know I am not adding a lot to the conversation here but this looks and feels different. I feel like the US abandoned the Kurdish people. I feel like we were too slow and have done too little to help Ukraine, but we were/are doing something. Then I see and hear how many people are just so supportive of the IDF and this one just feels different. Like a larger step, the veneer wears thinner or something.

If topics like those interests you I can recommend War on the Rocks and Arms Control Wonk (Both website articles and podcasts) for non-lovely views on the topics they cover. Both have a similar model of public facing academic reporting and subscription discussion boards. As for the learning part, their respective discussion boards each have an active OSINT and peer review community and its fairly straightforward to find answers through primary sources. Its not something I'd really recommend seeing for yourself because its awful and not good to traumatize yourself like that, but in summary - The IDF is being deliberately terrible. There are people who've put together clearer pictures on specific events that have enough supporting data and none of it ever paints a flattering picture about the IDF's target discrimination and lack of restraint.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I feel like we could use a bit of levity in the war crimes thread.

https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1759661859316138278?t=tNrBooxEYwAvTe9A6_x6Tw

quote:

The French Libération newspaper is claiming that tunnels from Lebanon have been built with help from North Korea.

The editor-in-chief of Libération is Dov Alfon, formerly of Israeli military intelligence unit 8200.

The owner of Liberation is Patrick Drahi, who also owns the Israeli channel i24 News.

The channel was the first to report the "40 beheaded babies" claim.

A Haaretz investigation previously found that i24 News functions as a proxy for the Netanyahu family.

What I can't tell is whether this is just propaganda run by some sort of truly incompetent failson, or if it's perfectly well-calibrated to hit exactly the soft spongy brains of people stupid enough to believe such a claim, in the same way that some scams are intentionally dialled in to hit only the most credulous of soft targets, while being blatantly ridiculous to everyone else.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Congratulations! We have finally discovered the one intuitive skill failsons have. Thinking like a mushroom

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Congratulations! We have finally discovered the one intuitive skill failsons have. Thinking like a mushroom

that's insulting to mushrooms

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Egypt appears to be preparing space on the border for refugees from Gaza. Viewed charitably, they're preparing for the worst. Viewed skeptically, one can't help but wonder if Sisi cut a deal with Bibi that would make him complicit in the wholesale ethnic cleansing of the population of Gaza.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

That'd have to be a hell of a deal, also not sure why anyone would trust Bibi unless it's cash in advance.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Egypt appears to be preparing space on the border for refugees from Gaza. Viewed charitably, they're preparing for the worst. Viewed skeptically, one can't help but wonder if Sisi cut a deal with Bibi that would make him complicit in the wholesale ethnic cleansing of the population of Gaza.

I guess, the charitable explanation seems simplest and most likely? what "deal" would they even cut?

the takes on this are kind of weird to hear. NPR framed egypt's opposition to potentially accepting refugees as "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening". but like, drat, they're refugees and it's obvious that egypt is not on the side of israel. just imagine applying the same argument to turkey or europe refusing syrian refugees during the govt campaign against its civilians there: "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening". there'd be wholesale outrage. or imagine the US turning away people at its border "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening" regarding abuses in latin america, instead of allowing people to make asylum requests. terrible.

the more obvious explanation of egypt not wanting refugees has to do with the politics of the current government and the history of the muslim brotherhood in that country

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pmchem posted:

I guess, the charitable explanation seems simplest and most likely? what "deal" would they even cut?

the takes on this are kind of weird to hear. NPR framed egypt's opposition to potentially accepting refugees as "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening". but like, drat, they're refugees and it's obvious that egypt is not on the side of israel. just imagine applying the same argument to turkey or europe refusing syrian refugees during the govt campaign against its civilians there: "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening". there'd be wholesale outrage. or imagine the US turning away people at its border "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening" regarding abuses in latin america, instead of allowing people to make asylum requests. terrible.

the more obvious explanation of egypt not wanting refugees has to do with the politics of the current government and the history of the muslim brotherhood in that country

I think the obvious explanation is "Israel will not let the refugees back into Gaza after they leave and Egypt doesn't want a permanent refugee population"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

E: I think Haaretz had alleged that in at least one case IDF artillery officer said they were shooting kill the hostages, but I can’t get around the paywall right now

Do you have a particular article in mind? I have a subscription and am happy to confirm/summarize.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think the obvious explanation is "Israel will not let the refugees back into Gaza after they leave and Egypt doesn't want a permanent refugee population"

i think there's a more complicated history here (like with almost everything in the middle east). sisi really, really hates the muslim brotherhood, and hamas is an offshoot of that. all of egypt's actions must be viewed in that lens. egypt would be just fine with hamas being destroyed in 2024.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/egypt-keeps-former-powerhouse-muslim-brotherhood-out-politics-2022-07-29/

quote:

In 2013, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, then armed forces chief and now president, removed the Brotherhood's Mohamed Mursi from power after mass protests against his rule.
Egypt then launched its most ferocious crackdown against the group, handing down death sentences or long prison terms for its leaders and driving its members underground or abroad.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/08/30/egypt-sisi-muslim-brotherhood-history-repression-nationalism-democracy-opposition/

quote:

After the coup d’état that brought Sisi to power, parallel to the state-led media campaign that sought to create and sustain a reservoir of support for what was called Egypt’s “second revolution” was a drive to portray the Muslim Brotherhood as “fifth columnists.” The Brothers were routinely depicted as being agents of either the Qataris and/or the Turks.
At the same time, Sisi justified the violence he employed to suppress the Brothers on the grounds that the group was a terrorist organization.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/middle-east/egypt-cauldron-gaza
https://archive.ph/8l1Pt

quote:

Turmoil in Gaza is not entirely a bad thing for the regime of Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi. In many respects, his government would be happy to see Israel eliminate Hamas, an organization that grew out of the Muslim Brotherhood—the Islamist group that is Sisi’s bête noire.

if refugees, including many people either members of, or sympathetic to hamas, end up in egypt -- that creates a large set of new risks for sisi's very survival. he has tried to avoid that for purely political reasons, and that's one of the reasons egypt put so much effort over the years into maintaining a border wall with gaza: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt%E2%80%93Gaza_barrier, which was substantially expanded beginning in 2020

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Also, eventually Israel would begin policing and controlling the Palestinian refuge camp on Egyptian soil making it de-facto part of Israel.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Also, eventually Israel would begin policing and controlling the Palestinian refuge camp on Egyptian soil making it de-facto part of Israel.

Why would they do that?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
That's more or less what happened to Gaza

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

I mean yes, but in Gaza there were only the Palestinians, a relatively minor force with a wrecked economy and limited foreign support, to oppose them.

In Egypt you have a nation state with considerably more clout, an actual military(albeit of suspect readiness), allies of its own, etc. who would object. Not to mention that Israel reaching into Egypt to de facto claim a chunk of their territory for "policing" reasons would be a great way to piss off everyone in the region or make them worry they're next.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

Wellllll Gaza was seized during the 6 day war. It wasn't really part of Egypt before that either, though Egypt did control/administer the place on and off.

I don't see why Israel would police a Palestinian refugee camp located in a 3rd country. Over the decades there have been such camps in Jordan and Lebanon, I don't think Israel was policing any of those.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
A Palestinian refugee camp right on the Israel border could be a source of future attacks against Israel, so either the Egyptian government will have to suppress those or the Israelis will. This exact problem led to the Israeli invasion and occupation of Southern Lebanon. Maybe the Egyptians will figure out how to keep everything quiet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

A Palestinian refugee camp right on the Israel border could be a source of future attacks against Israel, so either the Egyptian government will have to suppress those or the Israelis will. This exact problem led to the Israeli invasion and occupation of Southern Lebanon. Maybe the Egyptians will figure out how to keep everything quiet.

Agreed. Which is why I find it strange that Egypt is building this facility in the first place. Hedging against Gazans being forced out? A secret agreement with Israel to host a camp? A sort of processing center, after which Gazans will move on to some other country?

It's clear many in the Israeli government want to simply expel Gazans en masse. I don't yet see why any other state would accept this but the construction has me wondering what is being negotiated behind the scenes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The Israelis cause a lot of problems for their neighbors, who's going to keep them quiet?

I just don't see why the world should be concerned about the safety and security of a people actively involved in the genocide of their neighbors.

The Israelis don't seem to care that much about their own security either, eradicating the Palestinians and stealing their land seems more important to them.

I don't see how pissing off the rest of the world with their actions does anything to improve their security.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

pmchem posted:

Sisi is at the head of a personalist dictatorship and any help he can get to maintain his lock on power is no doubt welcome. Egypt's economy is not doing so hot under Sisi's direction and assistance in the form of (sufficiently indirect and deniable) aid could overcome the reluctance around the Muslim Brotherhood, particularly if the open-air prison on the Egyptian side of the border can be highly controlled.

pmchem posted:

NPR framed egypt's opposition to potentially accepting refugees as "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening". but like, drat, they're refugees and it's obvious that egypt is not on the side of israel. just imagine applying the same argument to turkey or europe refusing syrian refugees during the govt campaign against its civilians there
The potential big difference between the two cases is that the governments of Europe were generally genuinely against the crimes of the Assad regime and the refugee camps were European countries being reactive—not collaborating with Assad. What could be different about Sisi's hypothetical approach is the quid pro quo: Israel offers one hell of a carrot; Sisi builds the camps while maintaining a facade of opposition; Israel violently forces civilians across the border. The benefit for Israel in this scenario, of course, is that it can better maintain its facade of humanitarian concern if there's prepared camps for refugees to filter into.

All that's just wild speculation based on the thinly-veiled exterminationist rhetoric which has long been pervasive on the Israeli right, but :shrug:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Sisi is at the head of a personalist dictatorship and any help he can get to maintain his lock on power is no doubt welcome. Egypt's economy is not doing so hot under Sisi's direction and assistance in the form of (sufficiently indirect and deniable) aid could overcome the reluctance around the Muslim Brotherhood, particularly if the open-air prison on the Egyptian side of the border can be highly controlled.

The potential big difference between the two cases is that the governments of Europe were generally genuinely against the crimes of the Assad regime and the refugee camps were European countries being reactive—not collaborating with Assad. What could be different about Sisi's hypothetical approach is the quid pro quo: Israel offers one hell of a carrot; Sisi builds the camps while maintaining a facade of opposition; Israel violently forces civilians across the border. The benefit for Israel in this scenario, of course, is that it can better maintain its facade of humanitarian concern if there's prepared camps for refugees to filter into.

All that's just wild speculation based on the thinly-veiled exterminationist rhetoric which has long been pervasive on the Israeli right, but :shrug:

What carrot could Israel offer Egypt though? It doesn't have anything like the sort of cash Egypt needs. And don't say the Gulf states will provide the money. I mean, they might, but they've been pumping billions into Egypt for the past 10 years, and what do they have to gain by Israel expelling Gazans?

Palestinians are viewed as either troublemakers or people unfairly driven from their lands-- neither one encourages other states to take them in.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Count Roland posted:

What carrot could Israel offer Egypt though? It doesn't have anything like the sort of cash Egypt needs. And don't say the Gulf states will provide the money. I mean, they might, but they've been pumping billions into Egypt for the past 10 years, and what do they have to gain by Israel expelling Gazans?

Palestinians are viewed as either troublemakers or people unfairly driven from their lands-- neither one encourages other states to take them in.

Most cynically? 'This will permanently lance the Gaza boil and we will take all the bad press, you just have to run the camps and take arab money for them (because there's no UNRWA picking up the bill anymore) until the conversation runs to permanent resettlement'.

e: to be clear, I don't think this is actually the conversation that's happened, I think this is just Egypt doing prompt planning rather than having the world watch a few hundred thousand people die in the desert on their border. Somewhere deep in the far right corners of the Israeli government I wouldn't be too surprised if this was the thought pattern.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mustang posted:

The Israelis cause a lot of problems for their neighbors, who's going to keep them quiet?

I just don't see why the world should be concerned about the safety and security of a people actively involved in the genocide of their neighbors.

The Israelis don't seem to care that much about their own security either, eradicating the Palestinians and stealing their land seems more important to them.

I don't see how pissing off the rest of the world with their actions does anything to improve their security.

It's an article of faith for the Israeli right (and center-right) that the rest of the world hates Jews and will never help them, so they are justified in protecting themselves by any means necessary, rest of the world be damned.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

The potential big difference between the two cases is that the governments of Europe were generally genuinely against the crimes of the Assad regime and the refugee camps were European countries being reactive—not collaborating with Assad.

either way we agree that NPR explanation is poo poo, as your argument is basically that egypt is intentionally complicit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I think it was a local public radio politics show where one reporter speculated the construction was probably Egypt hedging its bets in the event that desperate Palestinians broke through the border wall in the chaos of an Israeli assault of Rafah. Egypt might not be planning on accepting anyone voluntarily but if there's a breach it's better in their minds to have a big secondary boundary rather than a million people streaming in and going every which way.