Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I love the supernova joker

I think I am too dumb for obelisk right now, I keep accidentally resetting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im enjoying balatro so far, but i wish there were a little more incentive to try anything other than flushes in the early game. tarot cards convert card suit three at a time, which is faster than any other form of card conversion (deleting cards goes 2 at a time, increasing card rank goes 2 at a time, making stone cards or cloning cards goes 1 at a time). Once I have a card suit set up i can start working on a real build to take to the end of the game, but the first three or four antes are tending to play out very similarly every run as a result

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah same. I'm sure Obelisk is quite powerful but managing it feels like a pain.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm a master of video games

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Had a very good run with an all-face flush build thanks to a legendary joker that gave an extra 1x multiplier every time a face card was destroyed. Could have made it to ante 13 with a little more luck in the shop, only made it to 14 cards burned by the end of the run even taking every tarot and spectral pack opportunity presented as well as glass or purple stamp cards. Never seemed to get the right tarot cards and the glass only broke 3x out of 20 or so uses.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Had a ridiculous build playing flush five of a kind Kings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqxSRicCZ70

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wooper posted:

jesus christt

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Popete posted:

Yeah same. I'm sure Obelisk is quite powerful but managing it feels like a pain.

How does it work anyway? Is it possible to have 2 "main" hands and juggle them or do you have to spam a specific hand and then spread around so it lasts for a while?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Elman posted:

How does it work anyway? Is it possible to have 2 "main" hands and juggle them or do you have to spam a specific hand and then spread around so it lasts for a while?
You force one hand find obelisk and then start forcing a different hand. It all depends on where you are in the game and what you have, if you're in good enough shape after forcing flush all game you can often just start alternating between High Card/pair/two pair for the rest of the game.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Infinitum posted:

Just call me Johnny SixtyOneHearts :smuggo:

Absolutely busted run. Entire hand was Hearts, and just kept adding more and more and more as the run went on. Convert to Hearts, delete other decks, and making sure I converted as many cards as I could into bonus cards.
Real hero of the run was the Flash Card gaining a +2 multiplier everytime I rerolled the shop & having a ton of Lucky Cards to have a shitloard of money + the Supernova card gaining a multiplier everytime I played a poker hand type(flush). I think I finished the run at 32x, and 40x above is when I couldn't get past the 1/2 million wall on the small blind of Ante 10

Game owns bones.

:argh: Move Supernova to the right so the 1.5x procs after all of the mults!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

After you've played for a few hours, crank that game speed up.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

getting the arm early is actually so unfun compared to anything else in this game it's amazing

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Wooper posted:

Yeeesh, that's going in the highlight reel. Also added some of the guides to the first page.

Gonna see if I can finish out White Stakes tonight! Or at the very least a couple more decks, since there's so many other games asking to be played as well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Today I learned:

Red seal cards in your hand will re-trigger effects like Raised Fist when they remain in your hand.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Color Printer posted:

getting the arm early is actually so unfun compared to anything else in this game it's amazing

The Needle is downright bad game design and completely unfair/unfun. Either you have the set up to one turn the blind or you don't, and even then it's reliant on discards since it cuts out being able to play hands to correct your hand.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm too dumb for any of the jokers that make you do work to not reset their bonuses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The one that only triggers on face cards is hilariously easy to use.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Wooper posted:

:eyepop:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Okay, got my first ever win. I used the green deck and lucked into jokers that added chips and mults to face cards, plus the one that re-triggers every face card. And then it was all topped off with the joker that multiplied the mults based on how many planet cards you've used.

By the end I had it up to 4.5x and my two pair, straight, and flush hands all pumped up. Getting two pair with all face cards was getting me 250,000 per hand. Still lost to ante 10 on Endless, but it felt much better than the 10-20K I was maxing out on previously. And money was never an issue since I was winning most rounds on the first hand.

Game good. And it feels good to get better at it.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Wooper posted:

Extraordinary stuff.

Also a tip for new players, you can turn up the speed of cards in the settings, it's a nice feature once you're bored of seeing everything tick slowly.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Jossar posted:

Yeeesh, that's going in the highlight reel. Also added some of the guides to the first page.

Gonna see if I can finish out White Stakes tonight! Or at the very least a couple more decks, since there's so many other games asking to be played as well.

One thing to put into the guides part, hands and jokers are tallied up from left to right in order in MOST cases. Conditional triggers from jokers will trigger first before triggering other effects in the joker pool from left to right.

Example:

Your jokers are in order: Campfire (+.5x mult per sold card starting at 1x mult), Scary Face (face cards get +30 chips) and Joker (+4 mult)

If you play a three of a kind of Kings and Campfire is at 1.5x, you will trigger the Scary Face first per king, then the Campfire and finally the Joker. The Campfire is mostly wasted due to it going first in front of the +4 mult from the Joker. So you end up with a 7.5 mult as you would get 3 from the hand, then 1.5x from Campfire then +4 from the Joker.

If you switch the Joker and Campfire you get: 3 from the hand + 4 from the Joker which is 7 then 1.5x which is 10.5 mult.

Adding the chips which would be 150 (30 for the hand + 30 for each king + 90 from the Scary Face) you would have 1125 chips in the first example, but 1575 in the second example.

Typical rule of thumb is: +Chips or +Mult goes on the left, anything that does xMult goes on the right. These rules apply to cards/jokers that have Foil, Hologram, Polychrome, Mult, Enhanced, Lucky, or Glass.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 21, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i had a run with campfire, which boosts its multiplier boost by .5x for every card you sell but resets every ante, and the jokers that give you stuff on selecting a blind (2 common jokers, 1 tarot card). was pretty much mathing out every hand to try to min/max how to maximize campfire without screwing myself. it whipped rear end, this game's great.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Color Printer posted:

okay actually i just really loving hate the arm in general lmfao

unless you actually have a bunch of hands boosted, or your central hand boosted really high, if you can't beat it in a single hand you may as well just hit New Run

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
patch notes: the arm renamed the finger

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Man you can do some sick stuff with Hack, Fibonacci, and Runner for wheel straights

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Found a way to make DNA work for me.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
game's loads of fun even when losing; I can barely beat the first boss ante in half my runs and even then I lose regularly to the ante right afterwards

10/10, hands other than 2-pair do not exist to me

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Oh lord, you can get the Arm early. That's devastating.
This is how I learned that hands can be Level 0.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think I figured out what I was doing wrong with the black deck--I had been very reluctant to take early skips because the deck starts so weak that taking on anything past the first blind without a shop is risky, but this is the wrong way to look at it. The risk:reward ratio on those early fights is very bad, so black decks might as well YOLO and mash skip. You're still more likely to die on the first boss than other decks, but you'll still probably win, and the losses take under a minute, and the resources from skipping mean you're likely to be in better shape than if you tried to fight your way through anyhow. I still find other decks more consistent overall but I can see the appeal now.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would like there to be more space between the reroll and next round buttons, and also a "go back to shop" button. Accidentally walked into the Arm without spending my $100 bux.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarEternal posted:

Found a way to make DNA work for me.

Same:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

the holy poopacy posted:

I think I figured out what I was doing wrong with the black deck--I had been very reluctant to take early skips because the deck starts so weak that taking on anything past the first blind without a shop is risky, but this is the wrong way to look at it. The risk:reward ratio on those early fights is very bad, so black decks might as well YOLO and mash skip. You're still more likely to die on the first boss than other decks, but you'll still probably win, and the losses take under a minute, and the resources from skipping mean you're likely to be in better shape than if you tried to fight your way through anyhow. I still find other decks more consistent overall but I can see the appeal now.

I'm just utterly stuck on black deck. Either every run ends with an impossible to beat blind with the amount of cash you've been offered or it dies in the later stages because you're only on 3 hands. I finally got to the last blind and completely died on a 3 discard pull for even one made hand that I was aiming at. Just so frustrating.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oh poo poo, I thought I was hosed but it turns out the timing on Burglar lets you dunk on the needle. gently caress yeah.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Y'know, I'm always pleasantly surprised when High Card works out this well. I never expect it to, but this is probably the best run I've had yet.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mama mia that's a spicy meatball

e: I still died at small blind of ante 12, that's gotta take some deck. I guess I shoulda subbed out one of my worse jokers before it got too late, only got to 175 million across 5 hands at ante 12.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 22, 2024

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

huh. turns out that while debuffed cards dont score, their hands still will. take that Window.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah you can totally just force through flush decks even if you are built around the one they are targeting with the right set of jokers.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I wish they would do something to change the first ante. If you don't get offered a flat mult card in your 4 chances you're probably done, and you get maybe one chance to reroll and even if you do you're so far behind in econ.

Once I get past that point the mid game of assembling your degen engine is fun.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hackan Slash posted:

I wish they would do something to change the first ante. If you don't get offered a flat mult card in your 4 chances you're probably done, and you get maybe one chance to reroll and even if you do you're so far behind in econ.

Once I get past that point the mid game of assembling your degen engine is fun.

It's pretty easy to clear 600 points on the first boss blind without any boosts by fishing for straights or better (although if The Manacle comes up it's harder.) If you manage to get two ~300 point hands you're golden, but playing a straight and then several two pairs is a viable route for most decks too. The black deck is the only deck that seriously struggles to clear the first ante without spending anything and even it has pretty decent odds, especially if good skip rewards are available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've finished all the stakes with ghost deck now and man, the game gets extremely nasty as you get up there. In order you get hit with, 3 -> 0$ reward from small blinds, "required score from antes scales faster for each ante" resulting in ante 8's boss requiring 280k?, "shops can have eternal jokers" which are just jokers that can't be destroyed or sold once you buy them making some lovely throwaway jokers unbuyable, -1 to discards, faster scaling again resulting in 8's boss requiring 360k, booster packs cost $1 more per ante, and lastly -1 to hand size.
It felt like a lot of runs were just flat out dead in the first ante due to not being offered any usable early game jokers, and the 2nd ante small blind is basically impossible without anything above the basic deck.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 22, 2024