Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mr. Bung posted:

Cornwall has beaches. As good as any. Though many would argue that Cornwall isn't 'England'

Many is about 15 weird Cornish people who everyone ignores.

The perception of British beaches being all pebbles probably comes from Brighton, the largest seaside destination in the UK, and also closest to London.
Brighton is a fantastic city, but you go for the pier, the gay scene and nightlife and the weird independent shops, not sunbathing on the beach.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Having slept on Brighton beach multiple times I can confirm it's weirdly soothing for a bunch of egg sized rocks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I will admit, Gibraltar has some nice enough beaches and weather.

So does the Falklands.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Two very unproblematically British territories.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
At least the Falklands didn't have native inhabitants* when the British plopped down and decided to call them part of Britain. It might be the least problematic part of the British empire.

*there were some French people there at the time but neither group was aware of the other and later The French abandoned it

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bald Stalin posted:

The EPA and researchers literally call it an inland sea and the US coastguard operates there

Herman Melville in Moby Dick posted:

those grand freshwater seas of ours,--Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan,--possess an ocean-like expansiveness, with many of the ocean's noblest traits...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gibraltar has been under British control for longer than America has been free of it.

(Excepting the airport grounds, which are slightly younger.)

British colonial history is awful, but Gibraltar and the Falklands are the worst examples to make that point.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm not sure we hold any actually questionable land anymore, it's all either been given autonomy or given back. Maybe Northern Ireland?

Now questionable items? We've got museums stacked full of the stuff. We've even still got stuff we stolen from close allies we refuse to give back like the Greek Parthenon statues.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Scotland?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

How Scotland joined with England to form Britain wasn't under duress so it's not really the same as Northern Ireland. And it's been given a vote to leave it didn't take (although I hope next time it does so I can move there).

Wales was taken by force so you could include that I guess, but little support to leave.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Feb 21, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

deoju posted:

Some rear end in a top hat did similar poo poo in my town a few years ago and just got probation.
https://madison.com/news/local/crime-courts/curtis-tessmer-bike-path-wire/article_36bec30e-b647-11ee-b058-4bce2a8522d9.html

Weird they let him off easy because Madison, WI is consistently ranked as one of the best cycling cities in the country.

Also, the guy who did it was white and that path leads to a black neighborhood.

Lol was gonna say. I remember reading either Madison or Milwaukee are the most segregated cities in America.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Lol was gonna say. I remember reading either Madison or Milwaukee are the most segregated cities in America.

chicago was definitely one for a long time too, thanks to redlining and the neighborhood system / chicago politics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Midwest nice / puts race relations on ice

Dwarf Named Magnus
Jul 27, 2019

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm not sure we hold any actually questionable land anymore, it's all either been given autonomy or given back. Maybe Northern Ireland?

Now questionable items? We've got museums stacked full of the stuff. We've even still got stuff we stolen from close allies we refuse to give back like the Greek Parthenon statues.

Wellllllll...

Then there's the Pitcairn Islands, but I think it's the locals (or at least a significant portion of the men) that are problematic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I want Scotland to leave just so we can see what happens with the Stone of Scone

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

How Scotland joined with England to form Britain wasn't under duress so it's not really the same as Northern Ireland. And it's been given a vote to leave it didn't take (although I hope next time it does so I can move there).

Wales was taken by force so you could include that I guess, but little support to leave.

Yes, Scotland had the vote to get out. But evidence suggests that UK citizens as a whole are really terrible about voting when it comes to leaving organizations

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

"The United Kingdom, at the request of the United States, began expelling the inhabitants of the Chagos Archipelago in 1968, concluding its forced deportations on 27 April 1973 with the expulsion of the remaining Chagossians on the Peros Banhos atoll."

Ha ha ok then :psyduck:

Edit

It was so the USA could slap down a military base. You guys sure do love your bases.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Feb 21, 2024

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
please, you don't have to hand it to the british empire.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

LifeSunDeath posted:

Right, that's the Belgians.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Hyperlynx posted:

Man, I really want to know what that guy's deal was

https://www.mystateline.com/news/weird/wanted-illinois-man-seen-terrorizing-town-arrested-after-being-ran-over-by-golf-cart/

https://97x.com/golf-cart-guy-stops-moline-man-throwing-rocks-in-windows/

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

“Maybe Northern Ireland…?” might be the funniest loving thing posted itt so far

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

At least the Falklands didn't have native inhabitants* when the British plopped down and decided to call them part of Britain. It might be the least problematic part of the British empire.

*there were some French people there at the time but neither group was aware of the other and later The French abandoned it

As with everything the colonizers say, I'll take that with a grain of salt

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
From what extremely limited knowledge I have of Moline that sounds about right.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Tewodros II of Ethiopia decided the best way to unify the ethiopian empire and protect them from foreign aggression and colonialism was to take a bunch of British people hostage and torture them, to get support from the British Empire.

And indeed, as a direct consequence of his actions the empire was united under a strong king who stopped the civil wars, and fought off multiple foreign invasions, including from Italy, making them one of the only cases of an African nation decisively winning a war and throwing out the European colonizers. It worked perfectly*.

*Except that the leaders doing all that stuff** weren't him, it was the people who inherited all the surplus military equipment and infrastructure the British brought and built to kick his rear end, then gave away rather than carting it back home through 400 miles of mountains.

**Also they briefly got conquered by the Italians just before WWII fully kicked off, despite getting donations of military equipment from a different European nation***.

***Nazi Germany.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Feb 21, 2024

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

LookieLoo posted:

As with everything the colonizers say, I'll take that with a grain of salt

The Argentinian claim is grandfathered in from the days of the Spanish empire, with Argentina itself being a colonising state. They only started complaining about the Falklands when their military dictatorship was running the country into the ground and wanted a good old war to distract from domestic issues. The islands never had any indigenous population and the islanders have repeatedly and overwhelmingly voted to remain British numerous times so I struggle to have any sympathy for the Argentinian claim.

Obviously gently caress the British Empire for a million different things but this specific one ain't it.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

The Argentinian claim is grandfathered in from the days of the Spanish empire, with Argentina itself being a colonising state. They only started complaining about the Falklands when their military dictatorship was running the country into the ground and wanted a good old war to distract from domestic issues. The islands never had any indigenous population and the islanders have repeatedly and overwhelmingly voted to remain British numerous times so I struggle to have any sympathy for the Argentinian claim.

Obviously gently caress the British Empire for a million different things but this specific one ain't it.

As I said, grain of salt.
Hawaii has people people on it and that's in the rear end end of nowhere.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LookieLoo posted:

You might have missed that Hawaii is nice and the Falklands are a complete shithole*.

Theres no evidence of indigenous people living the islands before the British then French then Spanish then British again settled on them.

*a shithole that might have oil so it awaits liberation by the USA.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Feb 21, 2024

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

LookieLoo posted:

I wonder why people settled on tropical islands with abundant natural resources instead of treeless desolate windswept rocks near the Antarctic? Even when competing empires were laying claim to the Falklands and had vested military interests in controlling islands near Cape Horn they struggled to eke out any kind of existence, that's why it was abandoned a few times.

Argentina's claim owes just as much to European colonialism as the UKs, neither has any moral high ground here except for the thousands of people who live there who unequivocally wish to remain British.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

Mega Comrade posted:

Many is about 15 weird Cornish people who everyone ignores.

The perception of British beaches being all pebbles probably comes from Brighton, the largest seaside destination in the UK, and also closest to London.
Brighton is a fantastic city, but you go for the pier, the gay scene and nightlife and the weird independent shops, not sunbathing on the beach.

The nightlife can also include drinking on the beach and fires though

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

LookieLoo posted:

If there is one thing historically you can count on the colonising nations for, it's bragging about subjecting the locals of places they invaded.

The French, Spanish, Portuguese and British all came across it, shrugged, and left.
The British only came back out of spite when Argentina officially tried to lay claim.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mega Comrade posted:

The French, Spanish, Portuguese and British all came across it, shrugged, and left.

What would you suggest instead, staying for breakfast? :jerkbag:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mr. Bung posted:

Cornwall has beaches. As good as any. Though many would argue that Cornwall isn't 'England'

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

goddamn people in cornwall must have hooves the way that boot is shaped

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

goddamn people in cornwall must have hooves the way that boot is shaped

It's all the lead and Arsenic poisoning.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
that map of cornwall is hilariously inaccurate

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

“Maybe Northern Ireland…?” might be the funniest loving thing posted itt so far

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Baron von Eevl posted:

Everyone's done that at some point, they do it down on Camber Sands, they do it at Waikiki.

:buddy:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Is Cornwall in any way “Mediterranean?”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Is Cornwall in any way “Mediterranean?”

Basically yeah

-Domestic terrorists
-Vacation homes
-Beaches

Adbot