Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
ugh I've seen multiple vids now where UA is blowing up russian owned starlink recievers with fpv drones. elon needs to be sent to gitmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote:

An investigation has been launched into the facts of the shootings of unarmed Ukrainian prisoners of war in Avdiivka and Vesely

Under the procedural leadership of the Donetsk regional prosecutor's office, a pre-trial investigation has been launched into the facts of a violation of the laws and customs of war, combined with intentional murder (Part 2 of Article 438 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine).

On February 18, 2024, one of the Telegram channels published a message about the execution of 6 prisoners of the Armed Forces of Ukraine at one of the positions in the city of Avdiivka. The defenders were seriously injured and were waiting for evacuation.

A video recording with a fragment of the murder of 2 more soldiers near the village was also discovered. Vesele of Bakhmut district. The recording from the drone camera shows how today during the assault on our positions, a representative of the Russian Armed Forces shot at close range, first at one captured soldier of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and then at the second. Not wanting to leave the prisoners alive, the occupier deliberately kills them with automatic weapons.

Pretrial investigation - State Security Service of Ukraine in Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

Department of Information Policy
of the Donetsk Regional Prosecutor's Office

The link shows images of dead soldiers, if you don't want to see them, you can just not click it.

https://t.me/Donetsk_obl_prokuratura/2254

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There are photos of dead prisoners with their hands tied behind their backs, and there is video of a separate incident of execution of prisoners.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Yes, but can we rule out Sudden Death Syndrome? Just asking questions here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Electric Wrigglies posted:

If you don't stop dissenting, you will be made to descent (from the fifth story window).

War in Ukraine CE: The Decent Dissent Descent

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

OddObserver posted:

There are photos of dead prisoners with their hands tied behind their backs, and there is video of a separate incident of execution of prisoners.

Did not know any photos showed dead soldiers having their hands bound, do you have a source saying this?

beer_war posted:

Yes, but can we rule out Sudden Death Syndrome? Just asking questions here.

I think it is important to accurately state the facts and afaik there is no video of prisoners in Avdiika being executed. It is also interesting because it is being widely reported that such a video exists. It is an exercise in media literacy.

Weka fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 21, 2024

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AI generated Bernie AV poster JAQ'ing? In this thread? My this is certainly a development. Surely have never seen that before. Let's see how this develops.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Staluigi posted:

War in Ukraine CE: Decimation of the Decent Dissent Descent Desantnik Detachment

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Weka posted:

Did not know any photos showed dead soldiers having their hands bound, do you have a source saying this?

I think it is important to accurately state the facts and afaik there is no video of prisoners in Avdiika being executed. It is also interesting because it is being widely reported that such a video exists. It is an exercise in media literacy.

These photos were all over twitter a couple of days ago, they're very real. As for videos, they were reported to be on Russian social media, I trust the sources I saw reporting it, but didn't check it out after having seen the photos of soldiers with their hands bound and executed. Got no reason to doubt the Russian filmed some of these executions.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Weka posted:

not that there is video of executions.

Weka posted:

afaik there is no video of prisoners in Avdiika being executed.

:getout:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Atreiden posted:

These photos were all over twitter a couple of days ago, they're very real. As for videos, they were reported to be on Russian social media, I trust the sources I saw reporting it, but didn't check it out after having seen the photos of soldiers with their hands bound and executed. Got no reason to doubt the Russian filmed some of these executions.

Do you recall the sources which you say you trust?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Can you please stop blatantly trying to bait people into posting content that will get them probed/banned. Thanks

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Edit: .

DJ Burette fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 21, 2024

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Anyway, the Senate might pass a resolution condemning Hungary. Yeah, words are cheap, but still. Again from Punchbowl's newsletter.

quote:

Shaheen, Tillis to unveil resolution condemning Hungary

Just days after they were snubbed by Hungary’s leaders during a visit to Budapest, Sens. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) are set to unveil a Senate resolution condemning the NATO ally on a variety of fronts.

The new measure, set to drop next week, lashes Hungary for democratic backsliding, its months-long delay in approving Sweden’s accession to NATO and Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s closeness with Russia and China, according to the resolution text we obtained.

It also notes that Hungary had pledged it wouldn’t be the last NATO member to sign off on Sweden’s membership in the military alliance, which it has now become. And the resolution accuses the country of “jeopardizing transatlantic security at a key moment for peace and stability in Europe.”

Shaheen, Tillis and Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) traveled to Budapest on Sunday after the Munich Security Conference. Orbán, as well as his ministers and members of his party in the country’s parliament, refused to meet with the senators.

Europe’s problem child: Orbán’s nationalist government has been hailed as a model by former President Donald Trump and his allies. But it has come under increasing scrutiny from the West, with Orbán maintaining relations with Vladimir Putin and seeking to water down some of the European Union’s sanctions on Russia after the invasion of Ukraine.

The United States and other Western nations have been openly critical of Hungary in recent months because of its 18-month delay in ratifying Sweden’s NATO accession, which Shaheen and Tillis have argued undermines the alliance. Orbán has also come under fire for trying to suppress independent media and crack down on dissent.

The resolution chided Hungary for instituting “a law purportedly designed to protect the sovereignty of Hungary, but which actually serves as a tool to silence Hungarians who disagree with the current ruling party” in December.

This is a reference to a law passed in Hungary that the State Department said implements “draconian tools that can be used to intimidate and punish” critics of the Orbán government.

Back on the Hill: Shaheen and Tillis chair the Senate’s NATO Observer Group and have been calling on Hungary to swiftly approve Sweden’s membership. They’ve said Hungary’s delay could “irrevocably” damage its relationship with the United States and with NATO. Hungary could finally be moving toward ratification as soon as next week, according to reports on Tuesday.

Frustrations with Hungary have reached a boiling point in Congress. Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chair Ben Cardin (D-Md.) suggested earlier this month that the country may be deserving of human-rights sanctions, which would be an unprecedented action against a fellow NATO member.

— Andrew Desiderio

Bolding at the end there is mine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Moon Slayer posted:

Anyway, the Senate might pass a resolution condemning Hungary. Yeah, words are cheap, but still. Again from Punchbowl's newsletter.

Bolding at the end there is mine.

does this kinda stuff go to the house because i could see it not passing there or getting shelved?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does this kinda stuff go to the house because i could see it not passing there or getting shelved?

It's just a senate resolution, so not a law or bill or anything that binds anyone to do anything.

Think of it as an official warning from one of the legislative bodies of a superpower.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nenonen posted:

It's just a senate resolution, so not a law or bill or anything that binds anyone to do anything.

ok. because i feel like even something like that would die in the house.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok. because i feel like even something like that would die in the house.

Senate can give a resolution that the house majority can go gently caress themselves :smugdog:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Staluigi posted:

War in Ukraine CE: The Decent Dissent Descent

I second this :lol:

Weka
May 5, 2019

Tigey posted:

Can you please stop blatantly trying to bait people into posting content that will get them probed/banned. Thanks

I am asking for the names of sources reporting on said video, not the sources posting it, sorry if there was a lack of clarity.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Sorry about the old post, but it had to be said:

jaete posted:

I wonder if Starlink could just give Ukraine all the coordinates of all the terminals inside the internationally-recognised borders of Ukraine

I mean, Musk obviously won't help Ukraine, but it should be technically fairly straightforward, as Starlink surely knows where each terminal is

The AFU knows where it isn't, because it knows where it is.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

When the Democrats held the House, could they have appropriated money that could have been tapped in every year? For example, instead of $100b in two packages or whatever we did that had to pass the House every time, what about $200b that could be tapped in at any time from the executive as needed? Is this legal? Was there simply no will to do it because the amount is too high and we didn't know how Ukraine would fare?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

small butter posted:

When the Democrats held the House, could they have appropriated money that could have been tapped in every year? For example, instead of $100b in two packages or whatever we did that had to pass the House every time, what about $200b that could be tapped in at any time from the executive as needed? Is this legal? Was there simply no will to do it because the amount is too high and we didn't know how Ukraine would fare?

From what I understand, the maximum range of a house term is the next fiscal year. So every two years the budget is essentially born anew. The only thing that keeps the House from defunding the federal government is decorum and the fact that this would be batshit insane to do.

Ukraine was invaded in an election year that although was more skewed to republicans with the House flipping, still had an extremely strong dem showing--the expected losses were almost an order of magnitude greater than actually occurred, which is unusual for a midterm election. But the end result was that the dems could basically provide for 2023, but not beyond that. So 2024 starts with no aid authorized, because of a GOP house that can barely elect a Speaker.

As for an executive slush fund, that isn't really how govt operates. Beyond that, it would just get revoked/defunded the moment the GOP gets into office--they don't want Biden to have that much freedom and independence. Which, frankly, would be the sanest thing they'd do about an executive slush fund, albeit doing it for more vindictive reasons.

Congress reins in the executive with the power of the purse. To give that away by throwing no-strings fuckyou money at the executive would be destabilizing.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Thanks for that explanation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also, the president still has $4 billion in authority to draw down for aid to Ukraine. The executive is choosing not to exercise that authority until congress passes a supplemental or budget of some kind.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Also, the president still has $4 billion in authority to draw down for aid to Ukraine. The executive is choosing not to exercise that authority until congress passes a supplemental or budget of some kind.

Yeah isn't this existing setup basically a slush fund? They gave a chunk of money that the executive can drawdown on as he sees fit. I know it's actually mostly used to buy stuff for our military to replace what we sent over but financially it seems kind of like a slush fund to me? Or maybe I don't understand the term.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Yeah isn't this existing setup basically a slush fund? They gave a chunk of money that the executive can drawdown on as he sees fit. I know it's actually mostly used to buy stuff for our military to replace what we sent over but financially it seems kind of like a slush fund to me? Or maybe I don't understand the term.

I think people see dollar amounts but drawdown authority isn't the same as having a slush fund you can do whatever with.

The letter of the law is:

quote:

he may direct, for the purposes of this part, the drawdown of defense articles from the stocks of the Department of Defense, defense services of the Department of Defense, and military education and training, of an aggregate value of not to exceed $100,000,000 in any fiscal year.

The limits have been updated but the key point is that the President gets to hand off existing things or make the DoD do things. This is not the same as having the cash to create new procurement contracts to actually get new things built. One of the main complaints right now is that the 155mm production in the US is hitting supply bottlenecks and they need additional congressional funding to get factories built to produce components. PDA doesn't do anything there. The President can't give away things that don't exist.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

McConnell wreaked havoc on federal agencies for a decade with the sequester deal. Can congress really not get multiple years of funding through?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

D-Pad posted:

The PDA authority cannot be used to buy goods for the US government; it is an authority, not a source of funding. PDA is authority to draw down from US stocks for foreign military aid. There is a standard amount the president always has for emergencies, which is low, like $100 million or something. In US Code, some countries are given additional amounts or specifically limited as not being eligible for this military assistance without special congressional authority.

As for what is being used to buy replacement goods for the US: These are from appropriations passed by congress in supplementals (or it could go into a future budget bill).

So PDA: Authority for executive to give materiel etc, without any appropriations attached.
USAI, supplemental appropriations: Congressional approval to spend new appropriations on equipment/services/etc, which might be spent on US acquisitions or might be spent in support of a foreign country.

Previously, congress did two things:
Expanded the PDA dollar-value limit by billions, to allow the executive to draw down euqipment from existing stocks and send it to Ukraine. There is about $4 billion of that authority remaining.
Passed appropriations for things like US defense industrial base, replacement of items donated via PDA, or appropriations to buy things directly for Ukraine.

Presently, the executive has refused to do more of the former until they see new passages of the latter.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/COMPS-1071/pdf/COMPS-1071.pdf

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

While technically the term "slush fund" can include any account used for miscellaneous expenditures, it usually implies corrupt use of the money. I certainly don't agree with more of my tax dollars being sent abroad, there doesn't seem to be any illegitimate use of the funds by the Biden administration. Afaik the only place the money set aside for Ukraine goes is either to Ukraine itself or arms dealers like boeing and raytheon.

Where the weapons go after they get sent to Ukraine could be a whole different story tho.

Edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV To draw a distinction between the purpose of the money and where it may end up. If some of the weaponry goes missing that does not imply corruption upon the Biden's part, so it's still not a "slush fund".

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 22, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Where the weapons go after they get sent to Ukraine could be a whole different story tho.

Is there a particular point for bringing this up?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

While technically the term "slush fund" can include any account used for miscellaneous expenditures, it usually implies corrupt use of the money. I certainly don't agree with more of my tax dollars being sent abroad, there doesn't seem to be any illegitimate use of the funds by the Biden administration. Afaik the only place the money set aside for Ukraine goes is either to Ukraine itself or arms dealers like boeing and Raytheon.

Emphasis mine. A preponderance of the evidence suggests--and no extant evidence suggest otherwise--that most of it is going to the Russian military. It takes a variety of means and routes--some direct, and some indirect.

Edit:

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's a poo poo-in-the-room-and-then-ask-why-it-smells post. "Just asking questions," and all that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One time, a SAM system was given by Russia to some Ukrainian separatists without proper training, and that led to the shoot-down of an airliner and deaths of hundreds of civilians.

Therefore, countries shouldn’t give the Ukrainian government weapons or something.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

Been hearing and seeing this talking point from a few right leaning commentators. They think Ukraine may go the way Afghanistan after the Soviets left, causing instability in the region and blow back effects for decades after.

It is interesting how certain talking points to tend hit the media landscape all at once.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I remember it was a talking point like a year ago. Pretty insane it's still out there, after so much time of nonstop heavy fighting. What has Ukraine been using to fight if they treacherously sell donated weapons to woke terrorists, do they pelt Russians with potatoes?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its very weird to act shocked about the idea that some of equipment and money bound for Ukraine falls off the van when it is definitely already happening.

quote:

But the inspector general report noted that after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine last year, the Defense Department’s ability to track and monitor all of the US equipment pouring into Ukraine, as required by law under the Arms Export Control Act, faced “challenges” because of the limited US presence in the country.

According to the report, which examined the period of February-September 2022, the Office of Defense Cooperation-Kyiv “was unable to conduct required [end-use monitoring] of military equipment that the United States provided to Ukraine in FY 2022.”

“The inability of DoD personnel to visit areas where equipment provided to Ukraine was being used or stored significantly hampered ODC-Kyiv’s ability to execute” the monitoring, the report added.

quote:

CNN reported in April 2022 that the Biden administration was willing to take the risk of losing track of weapons supplied to Ukraine despite a lack of visibility, as they saw it as critical to Ukraine’s defeat of Russian forces.

“We have fidelity for a short time, but when it enters the fog of war, we have almost zero,” a source briefed on US intelligence told CNN at the time. “It drops into a big black hole, and you have almost no sense of it at all after a short period of time.”

quote:

Still, criminal organizations managed to steal some weaponry and equipment provided by the US and its allies, the report says.

In late June 2022, an organized crime group overseen by an unnamed Russian official joined a volunteer battalion using forged documents and stole weapons, including a grenade launcher and machine gun, and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition, the report says. Ukraine’s intelligence service disrupted the plot, according to the report.

That same month, Ukraine’s intelligence services also disrupted a plot by arms traffickers working to sell weapons and ammunition they stole from the frontlines in southern Ukraine, as well as a separate plot by Ukrainian criminals posing as aid workers who stole $17,000 worth of bulletproof vests, the report says.

And in August 2022, Ukraine’s intelligence services discovered a group of volunteer battalion members who stole 60 rifles and almost 1,000 rounds of ammunition and stored them in a warehouse, “presumably for sale on the black market.”

The report does not specify whether the weapons and equipment were American, but the anecdotes are outlined in a highly redacted section that deals with Ukrainian tracking of US-provided weaponry.

Ukraine was already a hot spot for illegally trafficked weapons before the war.

quote:

According to the 2021 Global Organized Crime Index, Ukraine has one of the largest illegally trafficked arms markets in Europe, especially when it comes to small arms and ammunition.

And its consistent with the US losing track of weapons being sent to other war-torn countries as well.

quote:

As an illustration of how haphazard the supervision of this arms distribution often was, last week, five months after being asked by The New York Times for its own tally of small arms issued to partner forces in Afghanistan and Iraq, the Pentagon said it has records for fewer than half the number of firearms in the researchers’ count — about 700,000 in all. This is an amount, Overton noted, that “only accounts for 48 percent of the total small arms supplied by the U.S. government that can be found in open-source government reports.”

quote:

Dramatic TTP videos show apparent attacks on Pakistani police and army outposts by militants armed with American weapons and using night vision and thermal sights, which Afghan Peace Watch said in a new report are “highly sought-after accessories supplied to Afghan Special Forces.” The report quotes a Taliban fighter in Nangarhar province, bordering Pakistan, as saying night vision items sell for $500 to $1,000.

Its not necessarily a commentary on the morality of providing lethal aid to Ukraine. Its just a fact of life for warfare.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
"Already happening":
Prevented attempts to steal less stuff than owned by an average NRA member.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

I remember it was a talking point like a year ago. Pretty insane it's still out there, after so much time of nonstop heavy fighting. What has Ukraine been using to fight if they treacherously sell donated weapons to woke terrorists, do they pelt Russians with potatoes?

You may remember that actually there is no war happening at all since there is no footage of it on twitter.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

1stGear posted:

Its very weird to act shocked about the idea that some of equipment and money bound for Ukraine falls off the van when it is definitely already happening.

Ukraine was already a hot spot for illegally trafficked weapons before the war.

And its consistent with the US losing track of weapons being sent to other war-torn countries as well.

Its not necessarily a commentary on the morality of providing lethal aid to Ukraine. Its just a fact of life for warfare.

"Not able to track it" does not mean it's being sold on the black market.

As you also point out, a fraction of the arms sent to any country always gets diverted by locals, so there is nothing remarkable about Ukraine.

Why are you trying to pretend that this is an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Deteriorata posted:

Why are you trying to pretend that this is an issue?

1stGear posted:

I felt compelled to touch the hot stove because it is genuinely wild to me that people in this thread believe the thing that happens in every war ever isn't happening in this one.