Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I think Cate Blanchett is a fine actor, but I can't see her as Lillith. Like, she can say the words and wear the bright red wig, but it's just Blanchett in Borderlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Young Charlize Theron

Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ll add that while I thought that Men and Annihilation were mixed bags for me, I really appreciate Garland always swinging for the parking lot. None of his movies have been complete flops and always have something interesting to take away

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Please keep advertising this with the most on the nose trailer music, thankyou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VobTTbg-te0

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Toning down Tiny Tina is a strange choice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

live with fruit posted:

I imagine Cate Blanchett has a kid who's really into Borderlands the game. Like how Adam Driver made 65 because his kid likes dinosaurs.

This is the reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQGA42-U0Ro

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mat Cauthon posted:

IIRC Bob Hoskins did that movie because his kid was really into the games, and even though it flopped he doesn't seem to have an axe to grind about it.

Hoskins bitched about that movie every chance he got for years afterwards, lol. Not only were conditions terrible but he was constantly fighting with the directors, there's a whole lot of interviews where he talks poo poo about them. Dennis Hopper had even more cause to hate it, he was only supposed to be on set for 5 weeks and that got dragged out to 17 weeks.

imdb trivia posted:

In a 2011 interview with The Guardian, Bob Hoskins described the film's production - "It was a f*ckin' nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! F*ckin' nightmare. F*ckin' idiots."

imdb trivia posted:

Reportedly, at one point, Dennis Hopper was so fed up the with drawn out and constantly changing production that he spent almost three hours yelling at the directors, holding up the filming of a scene in Koopa's bedroom

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And yet it’s a billion times better than the Chris Pratt one

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I enjoy Super Mario Bros. (1993) because it is ambitiously weird, which you'd expect from the creators of Max Headroom

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, Dennis Hopper as loving Bowser is an epic get

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Still think we were robbed of a Dennis Hopper biopic of Trump.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bogus Adventure posted:

I enjoy Super Mario Bros. (1993) because it is ambitiously weird, which you'd expect from the creators of Max Headroom

And it was gonna be weirder. Nintendo actually sold the rights for way cheaper than the expected market value (and what other players were actually bidding) because they respected the weird avenue they were going for. It was only as the last second when some funding fell through and Disney via Buena Vista offered to pick up distribution that Disney requested... Some modifications to make it less weird (which is why so much of it feels disjointed).

Listen to the "What Went Wrong" podcast ep about it. It's great.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

One of the stories I recall about the directors being awful was that they said one of the Goomba's or some other extra didn't look dirty enough, so they dumped hot coffee on his head

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Borderlands reminds me of Tank Girl.
That movie tanked (pun not intended) its investors right out of business.
Wonder if it will do the same with Gearbox, Greasy Randy must be raiding its finances to fund this thing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bogus Adventure posted:

As much of a clusterfuck as production was, as a movie it's pretty solid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Borderlands reminds me of Tank Girl.
That movie tanked (pun not intended) its investors right out of business.
Wonder if it will do the same with Gearbox, Greasy Randy must be raiding its finances to fund this thing.

Tank Girl was good, though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a classic imo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Tank Girl was good, though

I've still never figured out how "Holographic head" works. Beyond, "gently caress you, that's how."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't believe we're saying the 90s Super Mario was good. To each their own with trash I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s really fun and unique. It’s visually interesting the entire way through and it’s actually funny.

It also has really awesome practical effects and every actor is fun to watch even if the film wasn’t fun to make

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Vintersorg posted:

I can't believe we're saying the 90s Super Mario was good. To each their own with trash I guess.

No movie is beyond contrarian reclamation these days. We're hitting Peak Oil but for hot takes so we gotta dig deeper.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CP, I question your taste and sanity more and more these days.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

It’s really fun and unique. It’s visually interesting the entire way through and it’s actually funny.

It also has really awesome practical effects and every actor is fun to watch even if the film wasn’t fun to make

Pretty much. More than that, there's very little about it that's genuinely "bad." The story moves, the several gags are solid (and none are terrible). About the worse you can say is that the ending is a mess and it's a bit too kid friendly.

It ain't Gremlins 2, but what is?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

It's a bad movie that I didn't even like as a kid, and tried re-evaluating as an adult a few years ago, and liked even less. I don't think it's actually fun at any point (well, Hopper has a couple moments). It feels like an even worse Stallone Judge Dredd. And the "You're not gonna believe this" ending feels like a parody of cliffhanger sequel setup endings, except I think it's not a parody. I also find the re-evaluation of it bizarre.

But I like my own trash, so I agree, to each their own.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my '90s video game movie ranking goes Mortal Kombat > Street Fighter > Super Mario Bros. but the important part is they all whip rear end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my '90s video game movie ranking goes Mortal Kombat > Street Fighter > Super Mario Bros. but the important part is they all whip rear end.

I agree with this ranking, and I don't think Street Fighter is all that good. But god drat, is Raul Julia amazing in it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mortal Kombat is so far and above those others I feel a single greater than sign doesn't cut it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
No mention of Double Dragon but I have to assume it’s at the bottom of that poo poo heap

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

Mortal Kombat is so far and above those others I feel a single greater than sign doesn't cut it.

You're right but I wanted to give the others their moment to shine

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Colonel Whitey posted:

No mention of Double Dragon but I have to assume it’s at the bottom of that poo poo heap

90’s movies had the damndest obsession with kids having amazing clubhouses/fortresses/whatever, like this or Hook or Hackers or TMNT. Mostly defined by their having a building with random halfpipes and skating tracks, video games, and junk food yet no adults or rent payments to be found, but it was a whole vibe I feel like movies briefly adapted then dropped, somebody with a better memory than I could probably do a whole article (okay, listicle) on it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thaddius the Large posted:

90’s movies had the damndest obsession with kids having amazing clubhouses/fortresses/whatever, like this or Hook or Hackers or TMNT. Mostly defined by their having a building with random halfpipes and skating tracks, video games, and junk food yet no adults or rent payments to be found, but it was a whole vibe I feel like movies briefly adapted then dropped, somebody with a better memory than I could probably do a whole article (okay, listicle) on it

Every article talking about each generation has been losing third spaces.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Colonel Whitey posted:

Far and away the worst.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lobok posted:

the set and costume design of mario bros is so good that it's in the conversation just on that basis

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

I’m fine

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Hes right

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I get a kick our of the opening narration where the guy with the Brooklyn accent is like "Eyyyy, But what if the asteroid didn't kill all dinosaurs? What if they were knocked into a parallel world and continued to evolve?!" it's so goofy and contrived. Just have Mario and Luigi working on a pipe and then they get sucked off into the Mushroom Kingdom. That's all you need to do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I get a kick our of the opening narration where the guy with the Brooklyn accent is like "Eyyyy, But what if the asteroid didn't kill all dinosaurs? What if they were knocked into a parallel world and continued to evolve?!" it's so goofy and contrived. Just have Mario and Luigi working on a pipe and then they get sucked off into the Mushroom Kingdom. That's all you need to do.

The Chris Pratt movie was so bad. I want something with some texture

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

No but seriously, why is "sucked off" your favourite phrase to use. Is it a subtle bit?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
When you nut but the timelines keep diverging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Thread title