Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

What do you mean by Jericho being Jericho? If you are referring to the Hausman hit, that's been proven to be pretty much unsubstantiated.

It has not. We do not know the details of what went on but cannot call it unsubstantiated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Long-Time Lurker posted:

What do you mean by Jericho being Jericho? If you are referring to the Hausman hit, that's been proven to be pretty much unsubstantiated.

jericho is a fuckin dickhead op

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

MassRafTer posted:

It has not. We do not know the details of what went on.

Didn't Hausman backpedalled on the claim, didn't provide further proof, and said he was only reporting on a rumour. Not having actual details sounds pretty unsubstantiated to me.

This wasn't just about Kylie Rae either, Hausman claimed Jericho was Weinstein-level bad.

Critical posted:

jericho is a fuckin dickhead op

Fair.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://x.com/trevordame/status/1760372834050912423

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Cena was revealed to be a complete sociopath on Total Divas during his relationship with Nikki Bella, it's foolish to think he would give anything other than the response he gave to Stern (noted friend to various other sexual predators)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

super macho dude posted:

Cena was revealed to be a complete sociopath on Total Divas during his relationship with Nikki Bella, it's foolish to think he would give anything other than the response he gave to Stern (noted friend to various other sexual predators)

What did Cena do on Total Divas?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
IIRC he generally acted like a prick, nothing specific just overall dickishness

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

never watched but the word around here was that he was very neurotic about his house and people making a mess. didnt want people using the kitchen and poo poo like that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Critical posted:

never watched but the word around here was that he was very neurotic about his house and people making a mess. didnt want people using the kitchen and poo poo like that

Now I want to see the episode where Bryan just walks into his house, opens the fridge and drinks milk straight from the carton.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

my favorite ep of total divas was where cena and nikki play frat games at his mansion and nikki is pretty upset the whole time

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

He was a clean freak. We're getting weird around here.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Reality TV is fake but Cena probably is a weirdo in his personal life.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think it has anything to do with Cena but Bryan's said in one of the interviews with Renee that he had literal suicide ideation during the filming of Total Divas

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with Cena but Bryan's said in one of the interviews with Renee that he had literal suicide ideation during the filming of Total Divas

jesus did he say why specifically?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shard posted:

He didn't and I'm not going to pathologize but that was when he really really wanted to return to the ring and they just wouldn't clear him. It sounds like that combined with having a camera and John Cena and the Bellas in his face added up to a pretty dark time.

E: you know what, I'm watching this back and he might only be talking about ending his marriage so maybe don't take my word for it. It's 20:00-25:00 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEiYoY2A83Y

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 22, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

He didn't and I'm not going to pathologize but that was when he really really wanted to return to the ring and they just wouldn't clear him. It sounds like that combined with having a camera and John Cena and the Bellas in his face added up to a pretty dark time.

well probably not the bellas lol. He married one and they seem to be in a stable marriage.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Being stuck on a reality show when all you want to do is wrestle sounds like a special kind of hell for Danielson. I wonder if that's why he hates vlogs so much.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Shard posted:

flashy_mcflash posted:

filming of Total Divas

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

John Cena’s Total Divas stuff was weird because reality shows are there to manufacture drama and yet it was seasons of showing WWEs biggest star to be a rigid control freak who felt he was play acting what a successful adult was supposed to be, and it was entirely consistent with anything we see of him in real life. Buying 55 suits to wear to dinner and then retiring to his boys only cigar room with Johnny Ace.

It can seem silly to bring up in this thread because it’s just fictional reality show trash, but it’s just a consistent picture that he’s obsessionally career focused and approaches everything like he wants to be some warrior monk statesman. There’s nothing bad about him doing lots of Make A Wish but it’s. It a coincidence it was a charity that WWE had a relationship with and he did more than anyone else. He knew he would split up with Nikki Bella because he didn’t want to have children, but supposedly Vince talked him into a proposal at wrestlemania? Again, consistent with his portrayal on the show that he didn’t want children and his engagement would be understood as a promise that he changed his mind, but he didn’t, Vince just wanted him to do it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That feeling when Connor's hero might not have even felt anything for him. That he was just a doll in an ugly T-shirt and jorts programmed to play a role.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Open Marriage Night posted:

Being stuck on a reality show when all you want to do is wrestle sounds like a special kind of hell for Danielson. I wonder if that's why he hates vlogs so much.

He just hates all social media that isn't Tout

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

keithy george posted:

John Cena’s Total Divas stuff was weird because reality shows are there to manufacture drama and yet it was seasons of showing WWEs biggest star to be a rigid control freak who felt he was play acting what a successful adult was supposed to be, and it was entirely consistent with anything we see of him in real life. Buying 55 suits to wear to dinner and then retiring to his boys only cigar room with Johnny Ace.

It can seem silly to bring up in this thread because it’s just fictional reality show trash, but it’s just a consistent picture that he’s obsessionally career focused and approaches everything like he wants to be some warrior monk statesman. There’s nothing bad about him doing lots of Make A Wish but it’s. It a coincidence it was a charity that WWE had a relationship with and he did more than anyone else. He knew he would split up with Nikki Bella because he didn’t want to have children, but supposedly Vince talked him into a proposal at wrestlemania? Again, consistent with his portrayal on the show that he didn’t want children and his engagement would be understood as a promise that he changed his mind, but he didn’t, Vince just wanted him to do it.

Even further back, Hogan's reality show really opened people's eyes what a tire fire that guy's personal life was. I think Cena being an uptight weirdo was more appealing to corporate types, hence the reason he's in hollywood instead of living off of sex tape settlement money.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Dawgstar posted:

A friend of mine has worked as a cam op on many reality shows. It's not his personal experience but he was told that John Cena wouldn't let anyone use the bathrooms in his house when filming total divas. Crew members had to drive to the nearest gas station for every piss

That's my John cena total divas scoop

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

schweens posted:

A friend of mine has worked as a cam op on many reality shows. It's not his personal experience but he was told that John Cena wouldn't let anyone use the bathrooms in his house when filming total divas. Crew members had to drive to the nearest gas station for every piss

That's my John cena total divas scoop

That's a pretty common rich person thing, sadly.

That Cena is a robot coded for success at all costs is a bummer, but not a surprise. Success in any field is so gatekept at this point that you kinda have to be like him to get anywhere. It sucks.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

That Cena is a robot coded for success at all costs is a bummer, but not a surprise. Success in any field is so gatekept at this point that you kinda have to be like him to get anywhere. It sucks.

He stared into the commercialized abyss for so long he became an actual sales mannequin

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

when i was a kid, about 8 or 9 years old, my dad had brought me to a coworker of his's fathers funeral which was all the way in long island. After the service everyone headed to the guys house where his other son was hosting a big italian dinner for everyone. This was a big house, really big. High ceilings, everything made of dark wood, not like a mansion but still a more than decent sized house. I wind up needing to go to the bathroom and one of the other kids points me to it, and when i got there i saw they had two toilets which was pretty wild. I go back to the dinner and everything is going fine, then one of the adults burst out screaming WHO TOOK A poo poo IN THE BIDET? And suddenly it was time for us to go

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
You have wrestlers who's entire livelihood is based on WWE where the company will be their only big payday. Do you honestly expect them to trash Vince before he's found guilty and 100% not coming back?

I am not saying that taking these odd public stances is the morally right thing to do. I've just seen this company fail upward so many times that it's entirely possible that Vince returns within the next year or two. All it would take is for the case to settle so there is no guilty verdict, and then the earnings to dip slightly so that TKO goes "we need to bring back Vince!" so that the shareholders rejoice at more profits.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STONE COLD 64 posted:

when i was a kid, about 8 or 9 years old, my dad had brought me to a coworker of his's fathers funeral which was all the way in long island. After the service everyone headed to the guys house where his other son was hosting a big italian dinner for everyone. This was a big house, really big. High ceilings, everything made of dark wood, not like a mansion but still a more than decent sized house. I wind up needing to go to the bathroom and one of the other kids points me to it, and when i got there i saw they had two toilets which was pretty wild. I go back to the dinner and everything is going fine, then one of the adults burst out screaming WHO TOOK A poo poo IN THE BIDET? And suddenly it was time for us to go

Taking a dump in a rich guy's bidet is praxis

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There are quotes from the women involved but this quote from the 4/10/06 Observer discussing Orton's 60 day suspension:

quote:

We do know the company hadn't been happy with Orton's treatment of women, particularly some of the women that came out of the first diva search competition. It had become almost a running joke more than a year ago, as stories from women in the company who had left had gotten out. It is not clear the Chicago incident or the prior incident had anything to do with that.

Another example of how out in the open this behavior was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Legend.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lmao

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer posted:

There are quotes from the women involved but this quote from the 4/10/06 Observer discussing Orton's 60 day suspension:

Another example of how out in the open this behavior was.

Since I've never watched a Diva search I tried to find Dave's coverage of it and found his run down of the 2005 contest and this is how he ends the story:

quote:

The first episode live at the Pond in Anaheim saw fans rush to the concession stands when the announcement was made the Diva Search was next. Several in the company are predicting massive booing of the segments within a few weeks, just like last year. It moved at a fast enough pace the first week with music playing that there was only booing when the women didn't show skimpy enough underwear. And they wonder why wrestling can only charge half the ad rates for the same number of TV viewers as most other shows, and has such a horrible reputation among the general public?

Of course, winning doesn't necessarily mean anything, because as long as you make the top eight, and have implants, you're pretty much hired to stand around backstage as a generic diva and can look forward to going on the road and being harassed by Randy Orton. In fact, to speed up the process of threatening lawsuits and quitting, and you can't make up stuff this good, the finalists who haven't been booted out in a few weeks by the weekly internet voting eliminations, will be doing an appearance in Toronto with Orton at the Molson Indy race there.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Has WWE ever done anything more horrible from both an on-screen and off-screen perspective than the diva search? The women were treated like garbage so the wrestlers and management could have their way with them, and even if you wished to ignore all of that in favour of what was purely on TV, the skits themselves were excruciatingly awkward and unfunny. I hope they lost viewers, both short-term and long-term.

EDIT: Ooh, looks like I was beaten to it!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Has WWE ever done anything more horrible from both an on-screen and off-screen perspective than the diva search? The women were treated like garbage so the wrestlers and management could have their way with them, and even if you wished to ignore all of that in favour of what was purely on TV, the skits themselves were excruciatingly awkward and unfunny. I hope they lost viewers, both short-term and long-term.

The first one lost viewers, I think in general they did but the write up of the second one notes the first segment gained viewers.

In terms of a long term thing that went according to plan, I'd have to think it's the worst.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Well who was it? Was it your dad?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How in the world could a segment like Christy hemme declaring her butt is hungry and then sitting in a pie ever lose the audience

Oh wait, because of the everything, right

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I want to reply about the Cena/Total Divas stuff but I'm not sure exactly what I want to say yet?

So in the meantime here's Dave Meltzer reporting in the Observer in 2006 what, in 2024, sure sounds like WWE trying to traffic women to their top male stars:
https://twitter.com/IANdrewDiceClay/status/1760443335271981385

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

rotinaj posted:

How in the world could a segment like Christy hemme declaring her butt is hungry and then sitting in a pie ever lose the audience

Oh wait, because of the everything, right

This is one of those I look back on and immediately think "This is 100% a fetish thing for Vince and/or Vince's cronies".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think it’s pretty weird to talk about stuff on-camera for a reality show as evidence of Cena’s hosed up personality considering, like, reality TV may as well take place in an alternate reality created by an editing room, in the same place as the Vince stuff but that’s just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

EDIT: Ooh, looks like I was beaten to it!

They forced Lita to do a live torrid sex segment with Edge on Raw during the Matt Hardy-Edge-Lita affair and absolutely nobody wanted to go through with it but McMahon insisted.