Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oenis posted:

Jokers that increase your multiplier are the most important purchases. Early on you want good flat additive multipliers, there are a couple that also push you toward a certain playstyle like flush, straight, or pairs etc., which you can then lean harder into. In the midgame you want to look for multiplicative (often conditional or situational) Jokers and figure out ways to lean harder into improving them. Steel cards from packs are another way to get your multiplier up, planet cards to increase the level hand style you want to play, and tarot cards offer weird effects that allow you to copy or remove cards or change suits and values - to increase the propability of the thing you're trying to do.

Also should note that it's optimal to float exactly $25 each round, because you accrue 1 dollar interest (free money is good) for every 5 bucks you had on hand before playing a blind.

There's also permanent "relics" or artifacts or whatever the game calls them, that can range from really good to decent. Use your own judgment on the value of these.
Yeah I figured out that it's good to get flat multiplier increases and then the multiplicative one. The problem that I have is that if you don't have good luck getting those jokers right at the beginning, it's much harder to figure out alternate strategies to survive long enough to get them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Of course you can get unlucky with both joker selection and hands in a poker game, and maybe some runs just die right then and there, but I'd say the first round is easy enough to scrape by even if you pick up ANY joker. You can and should sell them later once you find better ones or you have a better idea of what your deck is good at. Also important note that I forgot is that jokers trigger left to right, so you want the +chips to trigger first, and the multiplicative multipliers last.

Sometimes the game wants me to do straights, but I think straights are a headache, I just want the face card full houses, because. And some runs I'll probably lose because I didn't play optimally, but fun matters more.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
When nothing comes together yet, keep grabbing tarots to purge low rank cards and clone face cards. I also like pre-emptively buffing the full house/flush/straight range, they're kind of optimal in terms of return on effort to assemble. Just steadily increasing the value of your deck until you finally stumble onto something worth building around.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I just wish there was some way to see the minimum score my selected hand would give, as all the multipliers and additives gets confusing when they all stack

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

mystes posted:

The whole run (you can see what you've upgraded in run info). In general I think you would want to use them instantly (maybe there is some weird situation where you wouldn't, like if you want to use the thing that copies the last tarot or planet on a specific planet card?)

There's a joker that makes it so unplayed planets strongly boost their respective hands.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished Death Stranding. i thought it was pretty good. not the best, but people made it seem like you either super love it or super hate it, and I just thought, hey this is fine.

I liked the traversal and planning out routes, though it felt like I kind of wasn't really being rewarded for trying to avoid rainfall and MULES because -- especially in the mountain region -- the gaps in the rainfall will take you through places that don't seem Designed for the gameplay. i also hit weird slope glitches where Sam would just suddenly plunge really fast down a diagonal slope and die, and I don't mean lose his grip or slide, like the falling animation will just start and the player model just shoots out of a cannon down the hill sideways.

in fact one of the most effective and efficient ways to get your package to its destination, is to just use the reverse trike and gun it through the MULE and BT areas. which feels like it goes a little against the design philosophy of the game! now, there is the road paving, and the idea that the road facilitates much easier travel through dangerous areas... unfortunately, the instance I was on did not have the most helpful group of porters, who only paved a few roads near Lake Knot City and that's it... I ended up paving multiple roads myself, but the game doesn't really want you to be the only one doing it, because each section paved is pretty small by itself. i guess the logic for people was that ziplines were more efficient for traveling difficult terrain, and non-difficult terrain wasn't worth doing anything about. they, i assume, saw how well trikes worked for zooming past trouble, and didn't bother building roads.

the story was interesting, in the end I grokked most of it even if I don't think I liked every story or character decision. I wish that the most understandable stuff wasn't the stuff repeatedly hammered home. especially in the final hours, where they repeat stuff that flat out doesn't need to be repeated. still, this might be kojima's most restrained story even though it deals with the potential extinction of mankind. there are plot swerves and weird characters, but there's no hour long lecture on a hundreds-of-years-old illuminati. there IS a fake credit sequence where you have to sit and wait for the credits to run all the way through before the story continues. but everything about the story is pretty self-contained and unboxed within. Granted, the first Metal Gear Solid was relatively self-contained as well and then went complex in its sequels... so I guess we'll see when On the Beach releases next year.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm still convinced the greatest indicator of if you will like Death Stranding actual gameplay is if you like Euro Truck Simulator/Snowrunner and vice versa

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 22, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Squiggle posted:

I'm still convinced the greatest indicator of if you will like Death Stranding is if you like Euro Truck Simulator and vice versa

:hmmyes:

In the end I just wanted a no story 'let me build roads and connections' mode

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

As soon as giant fuckin ink dolphin-squid things entered the picture I peaced out so hard. :ohdear:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

explosivo posted:

For real, I just want to carry boxes full of cat litter to the isolated weirdos Kojima calls friends

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

By far the worst part of the game were the war flashback level things where it wanted me to actually shoot things. Just let me slowly, painfully trudge up and down a mountain so I can build a road or zipline, that's where the fun is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
she rollin

I love BB so much

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HopperUK posted:

she rollin

I love BB so much

I couldn't believe how much I actually cared about the relationship between BB and Sam. So excited to see how that grows and changes in the sequel.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bridge Baby is now Bridge Toddler.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm at work rn but pretend I posted that thumbs-up gif from Titanfall 2

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dark Souls: wow Black Knights suck

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dark Souls: wow Black Knights suck
They don't respawn so cross your fingers for their weapon drop.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'm currently in Blighttown, which is the farthest I've made it out of 4 or 5 tries to get into the game.

The game got much better when I learned to stop panic rolling. Ok, I still panic roll, but I'm doing it less at least.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

MajorBonnet posted:

I'm currently in Blighttown, which is the farthest I've made it out of 4 or 5 tries to get into the game.

The game got much better when I learned to stop panic rolling. Ok, I still panic roll, but I'm doing it less at least.

Just a few more zones that suck total rear end until you get to the zones that suck less rear end!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

kazil posted:

Just a few more zones that suck total rear end until you get to the zones that suck less rear end!

I got stuck at the Heaving Mass, what to do? The Emitting Abhorrance. you know.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kazil posted:

Except for those later levels that also suck total rear end.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mescal posted:

I got stuck at the Heaving Mass, what to do? The Emitting Abhorrance. you know.

The Big Dripper

Orv
May 4, 2011
Post-nasal Quip

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This entire time I've thought that Pacific drive was that survival driving game that was teased 10 years ago but I guess that's a different game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0re0MqwFS8

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Harminoff posted:

This entire time I've thought that Pacific drive was that survival driving game that was teased 10 years ago but I guess that's a different game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0re0MqwFS8

Oh hey, I was trying to remember what this one was called.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Squiggle posted:

I'm still convinced the greatest indicator of if you will like Death Stranding actual gameplay is if you like Euro Truck Simulator/Snowrunner and vice versa

I hate playing Truck Simulator/Snowrunner and loved playing Death Stranding.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Slave Zero X owns so much. I spent 4 loving hours in training mode practicing combos without realizing where the time went.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Y'all convinced me to buy the playing card game and now I can't stop. I'm terrible at poker but pretty ok at rogue-likes, so I'm gonna be playing it for a while. Runs fine on the SD, too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God I'm gonna have to relearn how to play Elden Ring :shepspends:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God I'm gonna have to relearn how to play Elden Ring :shepspends:

Elden Ring is so big that even as much as I loved basically every second of it I still don't want to replay it. $40 more of content, which From is usually pretty good at pricing for the worth of their expansions, sounds like a kind of hell.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Elden Snore

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Orv posted:

Elden Ring is so big that even as much as I loved basically every second of it I still don't want to replay it. $40 more of content, which From is usually pretty good at pricing for the worth of their expansions, sounds like a kind of hell.

See I felt much the same, that I loved it but it ate up so much of my time for so long that I didn't need to go back in for more... but then I saw the player react to the big boss smashing him with a big move by forming Angel Wings and rising up into the air to smite it and son of a bitch FROM got me again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

I'll definitely play it, but the game already felt like it was starting to fray at the edges by the endgame with the balance increasingly becoming a matter of cheese-or-be-cheesed, and it already has such a preponderance of content that adding even more feels like pouring buckets of water into the ocean. there's far more weapon options for a single stat build than you'll ever be able to use on a playthrough. It took me 200 hours to 100% the game blind (or as close to 100% of it as I could find) and I was feeling exhaustion setting in by the end. I just don't think this kind of DLC will add the same kind of value to the existing game that something like the old hunters did and the effort would be better spent on an original game. Elden ring is not missing Even More Endgame.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The Steam thread AKA the PC Gaming Thread is the only place where you can find people with even a remotely negative opinion of DOS2. I can only assume it's because those same 12 posters are coincidentally the only people who bought Alpha Protocol and have remained jaded about Obsidian's commercial performance ever since.

I deeply dislike crpgs where the devs explicitly tell me I have to play a videogame: having to build a swordsman with spells, being incentivized to act totally out of character (barrelmancy and robbery being two important facets of the game, for instance).

That's on me because I try to play crpgs like I play ttrpgs, but PoE, Shadowrun and especially Disco Elysium didn't break my sense of coherence between fantasy and actions.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kibayasu posted:

Except for those later levels that also suck total rear end.

but demon ruins and lost izalith are the best areas in dark souls

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Char posted:

I deeply dislike crpgs where the devs explicitly tell me I have to play a videogame: having to build a swordsman with spells, being incentivized to act totally out of character (barrelmancy and robbery being two important facets of the game, for instance).

Neither of that is accurate for DOS2 though.
You can make a perfectly good swordsman character without any spells and I've beaten the whole game without bothering stealing or messing with barrels much.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Owl Inspector posted:

I'll definitely play it, but the game already felt like it was starting to fray at the edges by the endgame with the balance increasingly becoming a matter of cheese-or-be-cheesed, and it already has such a preponderance of content that adding even more feels like pouring buckets of water into the ocean. there's far more weapon options for a single stat build than you'll ever be able to use on a playthrough. It took me 200 hours to 100% the game blind (or as close to 100% of it as I could find) and I was feeling exhaustion setting in by the end. I just don't think this kind of DLC will add the same kind of value to the existing game that something like the old hunters did and the effort would be better spent on an original game. Elden ring is not missing Even More Endgame.

i don't mean this in a bad way but this post makes me feel like an alien. the endgame is the best part of the game and i'd play 10000 more hours of it. i don't understand this 'cheese or be cheesed' thing either because aside from malenia (the secret omega weapon boss) none of the bosses are unfair, just hard. i also don't understand why having more options for your stat build is a bad thing. you don't need to experience every single thing in the game and it sounds like you exhausted yourself trying to.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Elden Ring being too massive to absorb is something I definitely experienced but feel like I've come out of the other side of. I've reached quite a nice relationship with Elden Ring where every couple of months I'll fire it up, dump 20-25 hours into it, then shelve it again. When I do return I'll just head in a direction, go and explore some different areas, knock off a boss or two, do some levelling etc.. it's a fun time. I finally finished a complete run for the first time last week, then immediately re-started with a new character where I'll continue this process for the foreseeable.

For me the value add of the DLC is just a fresh area to do more of that in. Some more "legacy dungeon" style content to chew on, some more fields and catacombs to explore, new bosses.. just generally soak up a fresh new area of FROM's world building and design to add to what I'm already doing with the main game. Even at £34.99 for the privilege, I don't feel like "but I haven't seen literally every corner or build of the main game yet" is a barrier to signing up for more of that, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It took me about 200 hours to do everything in Elden Ring and I gladly look forward to spending another hundred or so if this DLC is as big as it sounds.