Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mega Comrade posted:

"The United Kingdom, at the request of the United States, began expelling the inhabitants of the Chagos Archipelago in 1968, concluding its forced deportations on 27 April 1973 with the expulsion of the remaining Chagossians on the Peros Banhos atoll."

Ha ha ok then :psyduck:

Edit

It was so the USA could slap down a military base. You guys sure do love your bases.

It's also known as "The Oil Islands", can't help ourselves.

LookieLoo posted:

As I said, grain of salt.
Hawaii has people people on it and that's in the rear end end of nowhere.

You can make a good case that Gibraltar was the most important strategic port for the European powers for several hundred years. The choke point from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean.

Pearl Harbor in Hawaii is the Pacific's version of that in the age of long range warships and a staggering amount of trans-pacific trade. Smack in the middle between two continents with blue ocean for thousands of miles in every direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
This thread is about 6 posts away from arguing about Sinti-Roma in a veiled way.

Pull up!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

dialhforhero posted:

This thread is about 6 posts away from arguing about Sinti-Roma in a veiled way.

Pull up!

Is it? It's been a pretty sensible discussion so far.

Edit: Argentina had a chance of at least getting part ownership of the Falklands once but then they invaded and hundreds of Royal Marines/Paras died getting it back so thats that.

Roblo has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Feb 22, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I refuse to recognise the American coup of the Kingdom of Hawaii.

Also the results of the Mexican American war.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also the results of the Mexican American war.

The Boston Tea Party existed to increase taxes. Not to pay for a dirty foreign war.

You are now thinking of that creepy Folgers commercial

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You're my present :biglips:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

lol ok fuckers now pull up

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I told somebody about the Folgers Incest Commercial this very morning. Also did y'all know that the girl in the commercial is Jeffrey Combs' daughter?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

hell yeah dude lets ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LYLc2gIFOE

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

There's some nice beaches in Ireland. Would have liked to go surfing on some of them, if for nothing more than the novelty of saying I surfed the North Atlantic, but the weather was not cooperative and rentals were unpleasantly expensive. Still, pretty picturesque!

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Ok, I was wrong, I don't even know where the Falklands are.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's okay, most people don't.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Pro click

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

LookieLoo posted:

Ok, I was wrong, I don't even know where the Falklands are.

I've learned it's really hard to search for traditional Falk music too. Dylan and stuff keeps polluting the results.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

I told somebody about the Folgers Incest Commercial this very morning. Also did y'all know that the girl in the commercial is Jeffrey Combs' daughter?

Are you sure it wasn't Jeffrey Combs himself, in yet another stunning character role?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Appreciate the research. I guess nobody knows yet.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Having grown up in Argentina then abroad, I assure you that they only people who I've ever met who care about Falklands/Malvinas are local Argentine nationalist airheads. It's like the equivalent of facebook forward-chain emails or something. Someone out there is a true believer of it, but you don't need to worry about their opinions about stuff, it's ok.

Reading up on the tactical-level nitty-gritty of the conflict is actually great schadenfreude material, it's a comedy of errors that you're sad to see end. Stuff like brit soldiers surrendering to a troop a fraction of their size, or how the British airforce was infuriated by how far away the action was and so created the world's most absurd double-pyramid mid-air refuelling scheme to get a single bomber to do a single bombing run (hitting what?!) on the other side of the planet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Soul Dentist posted:

What the gently caress

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
https://i.imgur.com/q6X3puQ.mp4

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Time to end the politics derail :thanks:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Time to end the politics derail :thanks:

No I still have things to say about the Folgers incest commercial.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

There's some nice beaches in Ireland. Would have liked to go surfing on some of them, if for nothing more than the novelty of saying I surfed the North Atlantic, but the weather was not cooperative and rentals were unpleasantly expensive. Still, pretty picturesque!

Were you up around County Mayo? I have family in Killadoon, and I was surprised when I last looked at a map of the area and saw a couple of surf shops. Much different from the last time I visited back in the 80s. It was all sheep and no surf.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Serephina posted:

Stuff like brit soldiers surrendering to a troop a fraction of their size

Wait, what? Wikipedia says it was:

quote:

Amphibious Commandos Group, on board the destroyer Santisima Trinidad landed at Mullet Creek south of Stanley, in inflatable boats
84 men (†one) dubious, more likely 50, too many for a type 42 destroyer plus crew Lieutenant-Commander Sánchez Sabarots.
Buzos Tácticos, on board the submarine ARA Santa Fe, swam ashore.
15 frogmen Lieutenant-Commander Alfredo R. Cufré.
2nd Marine Infantry Btn. (BIM 2), embarked on LST ARA Cabo San Antonio (Q42), they landed in 20 LVTP-7 amphibious, armoured, tracked and five LARC-V wheeled vehicles and ARA Almirante Irízar (Q-5), inserted on Stanley airport by SH-3 Sea King helicopters 500 men
A 25th Infantry Regiment Company (Argentine Army) airlifted by C-130

vs

quote:

he garrison consisted of 68 marines and eleven naval hydrographers,[29] assisted by 23 volunteers of the Falkland Islands Defence Force (FIDF), who had few weapons and were used as lookouts.

Granted the "84 men (†one) dubious, more likely 50" was about even numbers but it says they surrendered when the Marine Infantry Battalion of 500 men plus armour plus helicopter support showed up.

More amusing things was the Marine's on South Georgia:

quote:

The corvette then carried out her second thrust into the cove, and at 11:55 opened fire. To her commander's disappointment, the 20 mm guns jammed after the first shot, and the 40 mm mounting after firing just six rounds. The 100 mm gun became useless after the first shot. Completely exposed, the warship had no other choice but to go ahead in order to put about. At 11:59, the corvette was hit by small arms fire and at least one anti-tank rocket.

And then there was this:

quote:

Some British BAS members working in remote areas continued their activities undeterred until the British reconquest. Wildlife film maker Cindy Buxton and her assistant were evacuated by a helicopter from HMS Endurance on 30 April.[35] She would later reveal that Royal Navy personnel had given her and fellow journalist Annie Price a pistol and that both women had been trained how to use it.

"We're being invaded!"

"Not now dear, I have a wildlife documentary on penguins to film. Just give me a pistol and we'll be all right. We have enough Tea to survive".

I hope the footage of Penguins was worth being trapped on the island for 4 weeks. That really needs to be made into a comedy where 2 British women see off an invasion single handed. I guess you could claim the islands were still contested until they left when they ran out of Tea and all the film stock.

And then you get a sequel with even MORE hilarious hijacks. A complete fiasco TWICE of the SAS ignoring the locals who tell them not to land and try and walk across a Glacier that results with the Island eating 2 helicopters without loss, the SAS getting on the island to be told there are no actual enemy forces near them, boats with non-working engines being stolen by the ocean, a depth charge that bounces OFF a submarine on the surface and a torpedo that can't hit it because it's on the surface.

The whole thing feels like a 1980's military comedy.

Comstar has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Feb 22, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

The whole thing feels like a 1980's military comedy.

Comedy is frequently more realistic than drama, because it doesn’t have to distort reality.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao ew

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Roblo posted:

Is it? It's been a pretty sensible discussion so far.

Edit: Argentina had a chance of at least getting part ownership of the Falklands once but then they invaded and hundreds of Royal Marines/Paras died getting it back so thats that.

Dying for Elizabeth's sheep profits

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wash bucket posted:

No I still have things to say about the Folgers incest commercial.

I saw a Folgers incest commercial cum anime meme on the Imagur.

e: Which means that it was, actually, an incest meme with ponies which is why I didn't link it anywhere.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What loving Folgers incest commercial.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Karate Bastard posted:

What loving Folgers incest commercial.

yeah. never been so glad to be in the dark

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There are multiple???

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Do it. Go on YouTube and search those words.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
No I will not.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think you just have to search for "Folgers commercial". So as not to get put on any more lists, or poison your history.

e: Confirmed, it's the first result.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's only an incest commercial if you want it to be an incest commercial

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

It's only an incest commercial if you want it to be an incest commercial

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

More bothered that the thing implies you can't get good coffee in west africa. Like say the Ivory coast. Which patently wrong. Unlike incest.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Splorange posted:

More bothered that the thing implies you can't get good coffee in west africa. Like say the Ivory coast. Which patently wrong. Unlike incest.

But can you get a good cup of coffee

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Azhais posted:

But can you get a good cup of coffee

Look, if you can't find a good cup of coffee in Abidjan, you're hopeless tourist.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Dying for Elizabeth's sheep profits

Dying for Maggies Election results. It's was military blustering gone to far, Argentina decided to invade on the basis we probably wouldn't bother trying to defend it because it's far away and worthless. But there's nothing like a war for a shot in the polls.

Almost 1000 people died for electoral victories both here and Argentina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Splorange posted:

Look, if you can't find a good cup of coffee in Abidjan, you're hopeless tourist.

Ok person who goes to, Africa, for nice coffee. Like France for wine. Your taste is bad

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 11:07 on Feb 22, 2024