Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's fine as long as the earth never moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Or gets wet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is that even pressure treated lumber???? good lord

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Well, that's new.

So they just framed over grass and dirt, ran the plumbing and then poured concrete?

Its like the construction version of those math problems that pop up where they're obviously getting the order of operations wrong.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SpartanIvy posted:

The Arlington, TX location was "Warehouse" themed. I wish that was a joke.

Sounds about right. It's been a long time since I visited that location. The Irving, TX location (no theme) was closer to me, and the last one I visited before the completely folded. Last purchase: one tube of Artic Silver. With the condition the store was in (mostly empty) I was mildly surprised to find even that.
That location used to be Tandy Corp's stab at Best Buy/Circuit City, called Incredible Universe. Incredible Universe was pretty awesome, but Tandy was adept at ruining everything (see: Radio Shack.)

Arlington Fry's is a discount furniture place now, as I recall. Don't know what the Dallas one is. Irving one is just an empty store.

Nitrox posted:

Well, that's new.

So they just framed over grass and dirt, ran the plumbing and then poured concrete?

Soooooo, no rebar, no beaming, no skirting, and only about 2" thick. Oh, and the weight of the structure is actually on dirt, not the concrete, as meager as it is.

edit:

Arrath posted:

Its like the construction version of those math problems that pop up where they're obviously getting the order of operations wrong.

Yes, EXACTLY!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 21, 2024

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Darchangel posted:

The Irving, TX location (no theme) was closer to me, and the last one I visited before the completely folded. Last purchase: one tube of Artic Silver. With the condition the store was in (mostly empty) I was mildly surprised to find even that.

Hah, that was my last Fry’s purchase as well, from the Sunnyvale, CA store. Its theme was “1998 as gently caress,” which is to say, unthemed and last renovated in the mid-to-late-90s. It was similarly depressingly bare.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Maybe it’s good there isn’t any rebar. If When that plumbing leaks, wouldn’t it be ripe for washing out the dirt underneath everything causing everything to buckle. If there was rebar, wouldn’t the pit/sinkhole be that much bigger before things failed?

Or am I giving that disaster too much credit, and it won’t last a month before some sort of significant failure?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arrath posted:

I have no idea what this is referring to. It may just be a me problem. Any hints?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have no idea what this is referring to. It may just be a me problem. Any hints?

You pour the foundation before you build out framing on top of it. They seem to have done this in the wrong order (of operations).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

There are facebook pages where they post the dumbest poo poo in an attempt to get interaction. In this example it would be like “Only 5% of people get this right!!! Are you smart enough to do it? Solve this tricky math problem: 2 + 5 x 3” and then all the boomers reply to show how brilliant they are and make fun of how dumb everyone else is

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Like so

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/cncmbl/whats_up_with_the_people_on_twitter_who_are/

Often posted in a poll format that is really just ragebait for people to accuse each other of being bad at math or confidentlyincorrect

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arrath posted:

Like so

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/cncmbl/whats_up_with_the_people_on_twitter_who_are/

Often posted in a poll format that is really just ragebait for people to accuse each other of being bad at math or confidentlyincorrect

similarly, occasionally you see people on social posting the deliberately ambiguous racist literacy test questions from the south (which were designed to make students fail by always having a reason why their answer was wrong), followed by people arguing why their answers are unambiguously correct and the questions are all simple

to bring this back on topic, people often have trouble dealing with questions that are ... poorly constructed

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

or exists where termites also exist. probably not for long in that case though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Beef Of Ages posted:

You pour the foundation before you build out framing on top of it. They seem to have done this in the wrong order (of operations).

:rolleye:

Anne Whateley posted:

There are facebook pages where they post the dumbest poo poo in an attempt to get interaction. In this example it would be like “Only 5% of people get this right!!! Are you smart enough to do it? Solve this tricky math problem: 2 + 5 x 3” and then all the boomers reply to show how brilliant they are and make fun of how dumb everyone else is

Ahhh, I'd completely forgotten about these. People forgetting about PEMDAS is funny. People doubling down on their wrong answer because they're incapable of admitting to not knowing/remembering something is pathetic. It's like the old rabbit season/duck season gag from Loony Tunes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PEMDAS doesn't help with the engagement farm equations because they are written to exploit some textbooks teaching that the M and D are separate so multiplication always precedes division and others teaching that "MD" is a pair standing for "Multiplication and Division" so you execute both of them in the order you encounter them left to right.

15÷3(5) can equal 25 or 1, depending on which way you learned PEMDAS.

The actual answer is that the equation is poo poo.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Shifty Pony posted:

"MD" is a pair standing for "Multiplication and Division" so you execute both of them in the order you encounter them left to right.

That is how I learned it in primary school. We never covered the PE part of PEMDAS. In high school algebra we learned that parenthesis come first but I genuinely don't think exponents were ever addressed. I was at least 35 before I heard any version other that My Dear Aunt Sally.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The order of operations is ambiguous for the division operator because it’s just random bullshit that you learn in grade school which is never used in even high-school-level math

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Which is why anyone writing an equation not to farm engagement wouldn't write it in an ambiguous way and would use parentheses to resolve ambiguity.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Multiplication and division are done at the same priority because they're really the same thing. Division is multiplication by the reciprocal. 15÷3(5) can be rewritten as 15 * 1/3 * 5, etc etc.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
As a mathematician, I have no idea what 15÷3(5) is. I don’t think there’s any agreement about how it associates. Some guy made it up and for some reason it gained a lot of traction in textbooks.

Anyway, nails: good or bad?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Isn't it BEDMAS?

Brackets, Exponent, Divide, Mulitply, Add, Subtract.

Fake edit, BEDMAS is a thing in Canada and NZ, but not in freedom land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mixed_division_and_multiplication

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

rjmccall posted:

As a mathematician, I have no idea what 15÷3(5) is. I don’t think there’s any agreement about how it associates. Some guy made it up and for some reason it gained a lot of traction in textbooks.

Anyway, nails: good or bad?

Depends on whether you're using cut nails or string nails, where in the piece you are, and how you feel about drilling pilot holes.

AHA! Trick question. You always drill pilot holes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Screw it.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Isn't it BEDMAS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mixed_division_and_multiplication

listen we're not asking for a lot here, it's not the imperial system. asking you to please excuse my dear aunt sally is a very simple request.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Lol the engagement is farming this very thread

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I didn't mean to. :negative:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I thought people were doing it on purpose. :negative:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Found in r/Architecture: Walstrom House, Los Angeles, by Architect John Lautner, 1996

And I'm not sure because it looks like a perspective trick, but I it kinda looks like if you slip and fall off the death steps, there is also a hole in the floor for you to fall into.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 22, 2024

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Found in r/Architecture: Walstrom House, Los Angeles, by Architect John Lautner, 1996

And I'm not sure because it looks like a perspective trick, but I it kinda looks like if you slip and fall off the death steps, there is also a hole in the floor for you to fall into.

Only if you don't fall through a plate glass window first!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

wesleywillis posted:

Isn't it BEDMAS?

It's BIMDAS you heathen!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

~Coxy posted:

It's BIMDAS you heathen!

BIMDER
BIMDAS
BIMDIESE NUTZ

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

~Coxy posted:

It's BIMDAS you heathen!

Worse still, I was taught BODMAS.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

LIGMAS

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Worse still, I was taught BODMAS.

That's another one. The first one I learned actually.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

What term related to exponents and logarithms starts with O?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
BODMAS stands for B-Brackets, O-Orders (powers/exponents or roots), D-Division, M-Multiplication, A-Addition, S-Subtraction.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
What weird non-exponent notation for roots are you using that isn’t totally unambiguous about how it’s parsed?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Dameius posted:

O-Orders (powers/exponents or roots)

I had not heard that term before, so thank you for introducing me to it.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

rjmccall posted:

What weird non-exponent notation for roots are you using that isn’t totally unambiguous about how it’s parsed?

Some people leave the top line off because old typewriters and stuff and if you do that without explicit parenthesis it can be pretty ambiguous, especially if it gets handwritten. See this page:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/square-root-symbol/

And a snippet:

quote:

To rationalize the denominator, we multiply both the numerator and denominator by (√2 – √3).

= 4×(√2 – √3)/(√2 + √3)(√2 – √3)

= 4×(√2 – √3)/(√2x√2 – √3 √3)

= 4×(√2 – √3)/(2-3)

This gives us [4(√2 – √3)] / (-1), which simplifies to -4(√2 – √3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's not a matter of "if", but a matter of "when".