Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wow imagine working a job you're overqualified for that doesn't look particularly good on your resume

Crab bucket mindset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
remember when there were crabs, they really had it good

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah ok jorpy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wow imagine working a job you're overqualified for that doesn't look particularly good on your resume

thats what happens when you dont listen and give your personal information to howard

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
As a therapist (in private practice) I can't fathom why anyone would work for betterhelp. It must be the real dregs of the profession because it isn't exactly hard to get patients right now

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

They even had a community, and a bucket

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

quote:

master’s degree in project management

lmao

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Oldest Man posted:

thats what happens when you dont listen and give your personal information to howard

howard said he'd talk to the people at panera to get me free sandwiches

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Peanut President posted:

howard said he'd talk to the people at panera to get me free sandwiches

This Howard guy sounds great. I would trust him.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As someone who could fuel half of Texas with my wasted potential energy, yes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I've found the main advantage of not having a smartphone is not being expected to engage in some of the dumber aspects of society
[oldperson]No I'm not paying forty extra dollars a month so you can lower your operating costs by not having a physical menu or minimum wage for waitstaff, and yes I tip well because ain't the waiter's fault[/oldperson]

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Feb 22, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
My work (independent liquor store) has an app now under the branding of our supplier and it's a lot less weighed down with poo poo than a lot of other things like it, there's no loyalty program, no keeping track of what you buy each visit, it's just basically a digital voucher redemption system that you have to give your name, phone number and suburb to and people still try to scan it in every time even when they aren't buying anything on special and it doesn't do anything and I'm getting sick of explaining it to people

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

My work (independent liquor store) has an app now under the branding of our supplier and it's a lot less weighed down with poo poo than a lot of other things like it, there's no loyalty program, no keeping track of what you buy each visit, it's just basically a digital voucher redemption system that you have to give your name, phone number and suburb to and people still try to scan it in every time even when they aren't buying anything on special and it doesn't do anything and I'm getting sick of explaining it to people
Come to think of it, now that I took enough time to fully read and understand that, I can't remember a time when any business needed to ask for more than my name and phone number at the register after I sign up for something. I highly doubt this experience is unique.

Edit: I think Spec's does pretty frequent discounts on random poo poo with that

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 10:22 on Feb 22, 2024

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
From credit cards to getting some mcdonalds, people assure me I'm getting hosed by not cranking up my participation. Getting aps, making accounts, constantly monitored and interacted with to "optimize" my experience. Being a consumer is a full time experience.

I believe them. The only winning move is to not participate at all, an anti consumer. I guess this would ultimately mean learning to get skilled at shoplifting.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

BRJurgis posted:

From credit cards to getting some mcdonalds, people assure me I'm getting hosed by not cranking up my participation. Getting aps, making accounts, constantly monitored and interacted with to "optimize" my experience. Being a consumer is a full time experience.

I believe them. The only winning move is to not participate at all, an anti consumer. I guess this would ultimately mean learning to get skilled at shoplifting.

cashiers are always asking customers for their e-mail. When I tell them "you don't need that," they look personally hurt. I don't think anybody ever says no.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the polite way is just to say "no thanks" when asked for that stuff

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The app replaces the weekly ads that used to come in papers.
And then every so many points I got a free hamburger. it was very valuable when my SO was pregnant

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my email is too powerful for the weed store cashier

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

even then, they seem sad, like they don't know what to do next.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

luckily they still have to accept cash for goods and services

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Karach posted:

cashiers are always asking customers for their e-mail. When I tell them "you don't need that," they look personally hurt. I don't think anybody ever says no.

Plenty of people say no, they just don't say it in a weirdly kinda-vaguely-hostile way like you do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Illegal in the EU :smugmrgw: (asking, not refusing).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

In fairness "kinda hostile" is just how I'm reading it (imagining you snapping back with a very quick "YOU DON'T NEED THAT." and staring directly into their eyes intensely) and maybe you say it perfectly normally idk

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
or maybe he said it while waving the gun. who can say?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

poemdexter posted:

or maybe he said it while waving the gun. who can say?

But just imagine how many store bonus points you could get for all the money exchanged during an armed robbery

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

*pulls out gun* give me all of the canadian tire money and nobody gets hurt

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That just made me realize that if you did in fact somehow get bonus points during some kinda robbery or even just shoplifting or whatever I feel like the whole "no monetary value" thing would magically evaporate and they'd find a way to add 1500 ShopperPointz to your total crimes when they arrest you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bring back Kukkuravihko.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
*holds pressure over gunshot wound* sir... uh... did you want to open a store credit card today... oh god it hurts.... you could save 15% today on your... *groans* purchase today.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

blatman posted:

*pulls out gun* give me all of the canadian tire money and nobody gets hurt

Yes sir, can I just get your phone number to tie the robbery discount to your account?

Usually when they ask me for a phone number and say I don’t want to give it they get happy and ask if I mind if they use their own phone number so I get the discount and they get the points. Win win really

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yes sir, can I just get your phone number to tie the robbery discount to your account?

Usually when they ask me for a phone number and say I don’t want to give it they get happy and ask if I mind if they use their own phone number so I get the discount and they get the points. Win win really

As a teenager I found some lady's S-card and used it for years to get ½-price drinks at the various S-group bars and restaurants, as well as department and grocery stores. I hope they got the boni.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
*twists ink pen in makeshift tourniquet* yeah on the screen there it's gonna ask you a couple... ugghghhhhh.... questions.... yeah the chip reader has been acting up.. ughhh.... you'll have to swipe...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Why would you possibly mind this? Why would they even ask?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Shame Boy posted:

Plenty of people say no, they just don't say it in a weirdly kinda-vaguely-hostile way like you do.

I'm really pleasant about it. Like, just generally upbeat. But I guess I could be even more tender with my phrasing.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I just have a fake identity memorized to give out if it means a discount, it's just strings of characters, nobody confirms if they're real as that would hurt metrics

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Why would you possibly mind this? Why would they even ask?

I think if they do it without asking and I complain or (more likely the person behind me or one of their coworkers does) they would get in trouble for stealing my Fred Meyer fuel points, as absolutely ridiculous as that sounds

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

every local walgreens I've been to has a loyalty card taped to the cash register that they scan if you don't have one so you still get the discount price, and I'm sure corporate is loving furious about this and that makes me happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think if they do it without asking and I complain or (more likely the person behind me or one of their coworkers does) they would get in trouble for stealing my Fred Meyer fuel points, as absolutely ridiculous as that sounds

it's literally the same as taking money out of your pocket and they deserve to be executed (if they don't ask)