Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lemniscate Blue posted:

https://twitter.com/SenWhitehouse/status/1757910193856475405
https://twitter.com/SenWhitehouse/status/1757910195622297896

"They've never told everyone that a list exists so it must not exist." Not sure that necessarily follows, buddy.

We literally saw the Federalist Society's internal lists, is this guy uninformed or blowing smoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not super familiar with RICO but I'm pretty sure there has to be actual crimes involved. Advocating for conservative policies and supporting lawyers who push for conservative rulings is not, generally speaking, a crime.

Bribery is a crime, influence-peddling is a crime, conspiracy to defraud the public is a crime. I mean this sort of thing is always going to be considered normal politicking, right up until a prosecutor decides to take it on. That might never happen, but it doesn't change the reality of what the group is and was intended to do. It's a classic example of how Republicans play the game, while Democrats just act like marks. The GOP would never simply tolerate a judiciary that was controlled by Dems who all were card-carrying members of a secretive dues-paying organization that was openly dedicated to seizing public offices, controlling the nation's courts, and changing American laws in their favor. They'd have a special prosecutor hauling in all of them for congressional testimony, and would have propaganda pieces on every single case they were ever involved with. Fox already does this with "Obama Judges", and they're simply people who were ever appointed by a Democrat. They'd have an absolute field day with a documented gang like this.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 15, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

We literally saw the Federalist Society's internal lists, is this guy uninformed or blowing smoke?

He’s a sitting US Senator, so even odds for either

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Like a lot of Dem politicians, he is very gullible

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Federalist society out there trying to find the real list maker the way OJ is trying to find the real killer

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not super familiar with RICO but I'm pretty sure there has to be actual crimes involved.

Can't be accused of any crimes if you're the one writing the law!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kaal posted:

Bribery is a crime, influence-peddling is a crime, conspiracy to defraud the public is a crime.

Since McDonnell, bribery requires a bag of cash with a comically large dollar sign be handed over and anything less is just sparkling campaign donation.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Proust Malone posted:

https://x.com/senwhitehouse/status/1757910192262615044?s=46&t=v69FFc9gmilk6I-vYnAGzw

Wherein Sen Whitehouse suggests that Trump gave Koch his Supreme Court picks

It's not a secret that Trump nominated judges that were hand-picked for him by groups like the Federalist Society. Leo Leo was given a billion dollars and change with the explicit purpose of doubling down on judicial capture via right wing ideologues. That Koch is one of the people tossing money at them isn't exactly a surprise and Koch sure as gently caress isn't the one curating the list of judges Trump and other Republicans nominate. He pays others to do that while he sits back and watches someone torture the Planeteers he has chained up in his mansion's dungeon.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

More to the point, there's little reason for a Supreme Court Justice to *stay* bought.

Because they know they are neither immortal nor are they actually immune from the law. If someone like Thomas suddenly turned on the right and started issuing liberal rulings he might not get impeached but you can bet your rear end that we'd see the rest of his corruption iceberg very quickly and that someone would prosecute his rear end post-haste.

Proust Malone posted:

Since McDonnell, bribery requires a bag of cash with a comically large dollar sign be handed over and anything less is just sparkling campaign donation.

That ruling was such a blatant admission of corruption within the judiciary.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Proust Malone posted:

Not even! It also has to come with a memo saying "this money is for the express purposes of accomplishing ___". If I just give someone a bag of cash and they just happen to do something I want well that's just me being charitable and them just happening to do that thing. No way to prove one caused the other...

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Proust Malone posted:

That is still just a campaign donation. They have to also be recorded or have in writing, "I am handing this money to you, a government official, for the purposes of bribery in which I expect you to corrupt the powers of your office for my benefit," and the government official has to respond with, "I understand and accept these terms."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because they know they are neither immortal nor are they actually immune from the law.

I mean fair on the first part, but I'm not sure what would make you think the current slew of Justices don't believe the latter, and further why they would in fact be unjustified in believing the latter. Yeah, it's possible the GOP would turn on a rogue Justice and try and have them impeached, but I don't feel like there's precedent in living memory for that, and if anything the precedent in living memory is pretty firmly in favor of the Supreme Court being above the law.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Fuckin' yikes!

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1760378280119869837

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Uhh wow. That is some hosed up poo poo.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Uhh wow. That is some hosed up poo poo.

The only good thing I can see is that this judge is retiring in May.

Anyways, in other news

https://twitter.com/TeaPainUSA/status/1760482496800493774

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cuniff is an excellent source- if I were more focused on the courts she covers I'd be subscribed to her, and she's definitely worth the money for anyone in CA.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

I expect the government to appeal that, based on it being both lies and irrelevant to the case in front of the judge.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That judge has a long history of really lovely decisions ranging from invalidating the California death penalty (which would be good policy!) because it wasn't good enough at executing people (yikes!). His ruling was overturned at the appellate level by a unanimous ruling.

He also insisted on in-person trials in the middle of Covid.

He's tried to dismiss Rundo's case at least once before and been overturned by the 9th circuit.

Also joked about George Floyd's death to a black Clerk.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

This court simply cannot prosecute this white supremacist for organizing violent attacks on minorities and assaulting the police ... unless you bring me an equal number of antifa who did just as many bad things. It's called fairness look it up. This shall stand as my official ruling as the honorable donkeybrain von dusterhuffer the fourth

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kaal posted:

The GOP would never simply tolerate a judiciary that was controlled by Dems who all were card-carrying members of a secretive dues-paying organization that was openly dedicated to seizing public offices, controlling the nation's courts, and changing American laws in their favor.

This exists. It’s called the American Constitution Society. You haven’t heard of it because A) it’s been less successful than FedSoc and B) reliance on a fundamentally conservative countermajoritarian institution doesn’t work for achieving the policy goals of the left. You can have judges saying “no gays don’t get that right” much more easily than you can have judges create a health care system.

Beyond that, and as is true of most everyone who says [thing that isn’t a RICO] is a RICO, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gotta love lifetime appointments with an extremely high bar for removal. At least he's leaving on his own soon enough and surely this sort if nakedly political personal beliefs-in-place-of-law insanity is something the government can appeal right?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Appointed to the California Superior Court by Gray Davis as a mid-level defense attorney, was a big death penalty opponent, then promoted by George W Bush in 2003, was the first person to ever sentence someone under the Industrial Espionage Act. Now he does this. What an interesting career.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gotta love lifetime appointments with an extremely high bar for removal. At least he's leaving on his own soon enough and surely this sort if nakedly political personal beliefs-in-place-of-law insanity is something the government can appeal right?

They already have an order from the 9th Circuit staying the dude’s release while they decide the appeal.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Holy poo poo, if only the left was (1) actually as strong as these fascists claim and (2) actually as violent as they fear.

Joking aside, we...we need judicial reform. This is too much, what the actual fuckshit. You can't accept poo poo this nakedly hallucinatory and partisan to wild degree without just completely running faith in American judiciary ragged.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Potato Salad posted:

Joking aside, we...we need judicial reform. This is too much, what the actual fuckshit. You can't accept poo poo this nakedly hallucinatory and partisan to wild degree without just completely running faith in American judiciary ragged.
You think anyone paying attention has any faith in the judicial system now? Its wildly partisan. The right doesn't trust the 9th circuit, whichever circus orchestrated the Trump verdict a few days ago, and no one thinks any jury in DC can be trusted to even look at the evidence before saying guilty. The left looks at SCOTUS and says the same thing.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Unfortunately for the right, Trump et al keep losing and getting juries willing to actually punish him because the juries and courts actually are working. They are bending over backwards for him and his chuds to be fair to the right (and basic constitutionality). They keep losing because it's A: actually egregious conduct and B: he crimes in deep blue areas. The jury of his peers is guaranteed to be heavily slanted left because that's where he crimes! If he wanted a better jury he can go crime in bumbfuck Mississippi.

Compare that to SCOTUS and the fifth circuit which are basically just making poo poo up at this point and laughing that nobody can stop them

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ilkhan posted:

You think anyone paying attention has any faith in the judicial system now? Its wildly partisan. The right doesn't trust the 9th circuit, whichever circus orchestrated the Trump verdict a few days ago, and no one thinks any jury in DC can be trusted to even look at the evidence before saying guilty. The left looks at SCOTUS and says the same thing.

....post/avatar combo?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Respectfully I'm wholly unconcerned with the more extreme opinions of the QAnon / 2020 Big Lie party. I don't throw weird left wing poo poo your way in here, can we get some reciprocity on the good faith?

In before another "you're just like a far right extremist just the other side" like you made last year. No. My "side" hasn't attempted a coup, there remains exactly 0 evidence of voter fraud beyond the usual background of confused ex-felons and occasional white guys mail-in voting for their whole family, and Antifa supersoldiers aren't real.

To be more specifically responsive to your post:

-If you're sincere about the Trump fraud ruling being a "circus," just come out and say in uncertain terms that you feel laws only exist for the poor.

-If you're sincere about "DC juries" being unable to weigh evidence, just say the dogwhistle. I know it, I watch right wing media. You know it, you've seen it. That's the dogwhistle in the zeitgeist here.

There's room for bipartisan posting itt without making space for conspiracy theories or obviously bad legal takes. Or right-wing dogwhistles about DC residents for that matter, regardless of how inaccurate they may be.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 23, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ilkhan posted:

You think anyone paying attention has any faith in the judicial system now? Its wildly partisan.

I have another post that is more topic centric than the prior appeal for some more good faith.

Where are the wildly partisan left of center judges? Where's the courts and juries letting the lefty version of Kyle Rittenhouse or Lefty J6 Rioters off the hook?

My rhetorical point here is that it largely doesn't exist. A red flag is raised in my mind when people start complaining about--to borrow your term--"wild partisanship" on both sides, because it largely fails to exist in anything more than the abstract for anything further left of center than Richard Nixon.

poo poo, I live about 15 minutes from where the nominally-blue City of Atlanta is holding a ton of peaceful demonstrators on terrorism charges. Nobody marched on a legislative house with zip ties and gallows, nobody recorded themselves all over social media talking about needing to kill other Americans. They basically hugged some trees. Sure, slap them with trespassing, resisting arrest, other civil disobedience charges. Terrorism? Something is wrong.

Can we please dispose of any notion that things are judicially "wildly partisan" in any way other than right wing, like the provided example of some guy What-Abouting about literally Antifa?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 23, 2024

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Potato Salad posted:

At least this one had the decency to prove he was racist long before he was nakedly trying to get white supremacists off scot free.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Potato Salad posted:

poo poo, I live about 15 minutes from where the nominally-blue City of Atlanta is holding a ton of peaceful demonstrators on terrorism charges. Nobody marched on a legislative house with zip ties and gallows, nobody recorded themselves all over social media talking about needing to kill other Americans. They basically hugged some trees. Sure, slap them with trespassing, resisting arrest, other civil disobedience charges. Terrorism? Something is wrong.

Surely not these protesters, right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

snip, I suspect I am engaging with somebody who already knows the subsequent findings but chooses to loudly state otherwise

Avoiding touching the poop. Besides, it is illuminating when people cannot engage with my core thesis without further proving my point:

Potato Salad posted:

Where are the wildly partisan left of center judges? Where's the courts and juries letting the lefty version of Kyle Rittenhouse or Lefty J6 Rioters off the hook?

Even if we don't get into what I suspect you already know was found about the police's claims after the date of that article, where is the radical lefty judge who let them off scot free? Where's the inverse Kyle Rittenhouse character? Where's the unhinged ruling rambling deranged about, idk, whatever tankies spout on about?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 24, 2024

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

You are attributing to malice what is merely ignorance. I found a more thorough article and would like to kindly shut the gently caress up. I'll try not to be accidental poop in the future, sorry.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Potato Salad posted:

I have another post that is more topic centric than the prior appeal for some more good faith.

My rhetorical point here is that it largely doesn't exist.

It's hard to have a leftist judge because the legal system is an authoritarian right wing system. It's like asking why there aren't many atheist priests.

A leftist who was a criminal judge would very likely either quit being a judge, quit being a leftist, or go insane from moral injury.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Who would nominate these leftist judges? Obama and Clinton were committed to the lie of centrism.

Bush and Trump wanted to fill the judiciary with partisan extremists.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

They handed down all the court rulings that are now being overturned by the right-wing judges that replaced them.

Benefiting from decades of liberal courts willing to take an active hand in overturning long-standing conservative legal status quos, the left-of-center convinced themselves that all judges are perfectly nonpartisan and completely politically neutral, and that the only reason so many left-of-center court rulings were being handed down was because law and reality both perfectly agreed with their ideology. This left them ill-prepared to push back against the conservatives, who were extremely determined to replace those left-of-center judges with reliably ideological conservatives.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Holy poo poo, if only the left was (1) actually as strong as these fascists claim and (2) actually as violent as they fear.

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1761049787938509268?t=xm-Z69tYYSW0AzmI70yetA&s=19

So a bit of a follow up to this.

The ink had barely dried on this order when the 9th circuit issued an order staying Rundo's release pursuiant to the lower court order. He was back in custody in less than 24 hours.

The 9th then explicitly put out an order saying 'We did not stutter. Rundo is to remain in custody. No lower court can authorize his release'.

Carney then (in the above thread) goes on to hold a 90 minute long Friday night hearing talking about how he wants to release Rundo but can't defy their explicitly worded ruling. He is likely to issue an order to release and stay it pending their permission.

Carney appears to think that the 9th's order is moot. He threw out all charges, so as far as his court is concerned there are no charges pending against Rundo. The order from the 9th didn't overturn this, it just demanded Rundo be put back in custody. I actually rather curious on the law here because I'm not sure the grounds they have for holding him. They've obviously going to appeal the judge's decision to toss the whole case, but they haven't done that yet, so we are in a weird position where he is back in custody with no active charges and no appeal of those charges.

It is a really messy situation

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Caros posted:

Carney appears to think that the 9th's order is moot. He threw out all charges, so as far as his court is concerned there are no charges pending against Rundo. The order from the 9th didn't overturn this, it just demanded Rundo be put back in custody. I actually rather curious on the law here because I'm not sure the grounds they have for holding him. They've obviously going to appeal the judge's decision to toss the whole case, but they haven't done that yet, so we are in a weird position where he is back in custody with no active charges and no appeal of those charges.

Yeah actually Carney's right there. You can't hold people without active charges. If I were the defense attorney I'd be making GBS threads bricks. If nothing else, make them file that appeal ASAP.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Ultimately I think most people know who the Koch’s are and what they do with their money.

Only among the set of people who read and forward "You wont BELIEVE what this justice did last week..." political emails. I wouldn't say that's true of the majority of registered Democrats, let alone US adults at large.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah actually Carney's right there. You can't hold people without active charges. If I were the defense attorney I'd be making GBS threads bricks. If nothing else, make them file that appeal ASAP.

Having reviewed the thread a bit more I think that technically the process there is:

Dismiss the charges.
State asks for him to be held pending appeal of dismissal
Carney denies.
State appeals to 9th asking them to overturn the denial of the stay.
They do that and order a stay on releasing him pending appeal

Which... Yeah, that still looks weird to me but I *think* that would be legal, just really weird and convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Caros posted:

Presumably the 9th is going to overrule his "I'm tossing all charges BECAUSE ANTIFA ARE THE REAL TERRISTS" decision as well and hopefully have the judge removed from the case and it handed to someone whose brain hasn't turned into a bubbling cauldron of diarrhea and white wing talking points.