Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

gradenko_2000 posted:

put in a donation to the Go Fund Me for the Gaza cat guys

https://gofund.me/a7d35631

DTI
DTA

hell, same

I am good w words sometimes but nothing fits so DTTZE/DTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

put in a donation to the Go Fund Me for the Gaza cat guys

https://gofund.me/a7d35631

DTI
DTA

How does money translate to help in Gaza? Black market / smuggler kind of activity? Aren't they blockaded from the normal flow of goods?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

SuperKlaus posted:

How does money translate to help in Gaza? Black market / smuggler kind of activity? Aren't they blockaded from the normal flow of goods?

i think a lot of people are trying to raise money to leave to stay with relatives or pay for visas

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SuperKlaus posted:

that specific GoFundMe is for making arrangements for their families to pay for visas and transport of out Gaza and into Egypt

for the regular donations to their (or anyone's) paypal, there are still goods coming into the strip, on an extremely limited basis, which costs money to purchase, and the high scarcity means it costs a lot

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
six nazi piglets got ventilated in jerusalem, so I guess you can say that Ben Gvir's weapon distribution is working as planned:-

Urgent | Israeli media: 6 Israelis were injured in a shooting near the Maale Adumim settlement, east of occupied Jerusalem.

https://x.com/AJABreaking/status/1760542234384974152?s=20

also the houthis are still doing great and bombing Eilat:-

Urgent | Reporter #الجزيرة : Sirens sound in the city of Eilat and its surroundings in southern Israel

https://x.com/AJABreaking/status/1760513920761053323?s=20

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Someone linked a Jacobin article from 2022 about the background of the Houthis and Yemin. Is there anything more current that covers them without too much of the usual 'our enemies bad, very undemocratic, no elections, freedom good' type poo poo

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

also the houthis are still doing great and bombing Eilat:-

Urgent | Reporter #الجزيرة : Sirens sound in the city of Eilat and its surroundings in southern Israel

https://x.com/AJABreaking/status/1760513920761053323?s=20

How's AnsarAllah is taking the fight up there? Are they using ships?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Ballistic missiles.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Weka posted:

Yeah they have a taskforce for it, CTF 153. CTF 150 used to do it, established 2008.

It's only a small piece of anecdotal evidence but from what I'm seeing on the internet most people are pretty good at distinguishing between Jews and Israel when it comes to condemnation. A tiny minority aren't but I get the feeling it is just an excuse for them.

I mean in my lifelong experience, every time I have ever spoken out against Israel I get "but you're Jewish" or "I bet you'd feel differently if you were Jewish. Ah, well, nevertheless!" I mean, yeah, all anecdotal and I'd be curious to see the stats, but in my experience - and maybe, hopefully, it's different with the zoomers - Israel has been very successful in their propaganda efforts and most Americans seem to genuinely believe that Israel speaks for and represents most Jews and that to criticize one is to criticize the other.

Like I think it's kind of the whole compartmentalization. Doublethink and all that. But I daresay most people would uncritically agree with and to some extent internalize the premises "Israel is engaged in genocide" "Israel represents all Jews" and just refrain from giving voice to what the logical conclusion of that must be.

But I hope I'm wrong. DTI. DTA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Weka posted:

Yeah they have a taskforce for it, CTF 153. CTF 150 used to do it, established 2008.

It's only a small piece of anecdotal evidence but from what I'm seeing on the internet most people are pretty good at distinguishing between Jews and Israel when it comes to condemnation. A tiny minority aren't but I get the feeling it is just an excuse for them.

That Israelis in particular are such massive freaks and so utterly dismissive of non-Israeli Jewish people and identities probably helps. They barely resemble anything that anyone recognises as Jewish and more Starship Trooper Nazis mixed with lolcows. The older generations are propagandised enough to be fooled but even them at this point are mostly just stubbornly clinging to their precious narratives and disbelieving their lying eyes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

more nazis getting blasted:-

Urgent | Israeli media: A soldier was killed and 8 others were injured in a shooting attack at a military checkpoint east of Jerusalem

https://x.com/AJABreaking/status/1760552317269496197?s=20

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/TameeOliveFern/status/1760403434510205100

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

It they took that pirated ship up to Israel and started pouring out troops like D-Day it would be the most badass thing that ever happened.

Yemen just doesn’t have much of a navy, so lobbing missiles is kind of the extent of what they can do.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

It is well within range of a lawnmower

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

most Americans seem to genuinely believe that Israel speaks for and represents most Jews

Yeah Americans might be an exception, youse are pretty propagandized

Atrocious Joe posted:

I don't completely agree with Yasha Levine, but I think he provides a decent and accessible perspective on this topic
https://yasha.substack.com/p/its-easier-to-imagine-the-end-of

Of course, all this is a secondary concern to the actual genocide being carried out right now. I do think being able to clearly talk about this situation to people who are less informed is useful when organizing to stop that genocide.

I think that undercutting the Israel = Jews narrative attacks the ability of Israel to continue this long ongoing genocide but yeah, immediate problems

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

Wait a sec aren't you in the UK?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
how. dare. you.

he's from one of australia's territories.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Majorian posted:

Wait a sec aren't you in the UK?

We aren’t good but on this topic we’re absolutely nowhere near as brainwashed as the US - our media and political class is but the population is pretty pro-Palestine.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jakabite posted:

We aren’t good but on this topic we’re absolutely nowhere near as brainwashed as the US - our media and political class is but the population is pretty pro-Palestine.

Anecdotally I've found this to be the case as well, I've never personally spoken to anyone who has had anything but sympathy for Gaza and revulsion for Israel's actions. Friends, family, colleagues, young, old. A lot of people I frankly wouldn't expect at all. A lot of people whose other political opinions are total garbage.

The media, though, that is in absolute lockstep behind Israel, and it is infuriating to the point of making me feel crazy. I can't be in the same room when the 'news' is on the radio or TV.

It really does bring to mind that Disco quote about how the bourgeoisie aren't human. They take the mask off just long enough to kill everything good and courageous and noble in this world.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I’m sure we can imperceptibly and incrementally change our way out of this one

Ah! Well, nevertheless

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
AJE is reporting that UKMTO says another ship was hit by Yemen, this time causing a deck fire

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Anecdotally I've found this to be the case as well, I've never personally spoken to anyone who has had anything but sympathy for Gaza and revulsion for Israel's actions. Friends, family, colleagues, young, old. A lot of people I frankly wouldn't expect at all. A lot of people whose other political opinions are total garbage.

The media, though, that is in absolute lockstep behind Israel, and it is infuriating to the point of making me feel crazy. I can't be in the same room when the 'news' is on the radio or TV.

It really does bring to mind that Disco quote about how the bourgeoisie aren't human. They take the mask off just long enough to kill everything good and courageous and noble in this world.

the media in the UK has the highest % of public school (read elite private school) graduates by profession even exceeding finance

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I know a few pro-Israel types and turns out that no matter how much info you send them you can get a "Huuuh who cares about that, don't you remember Ocotber 7th". One can get a lot of mileage of "shut up nerd" on that side as well.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

Someone linked a Jacobin article from 2022 about the background of the Houthis and Yemin. Is there anything more current that covers them without too much of the usual 'our enemies bad, very undemocratic, no elections, freedom good' type poo poo

pay :10bux: for a radio war nerd sub and spend the whole month listening to their excellent back catalogue as well

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Weka posted:

people on the internet are one thing, but I really don't see how we apply these litmus tests to the people on the ground - I don't believe that any particular Palestinian holding a problematic view is at all problematic, and I'd invoke for example Finkelstein's recollection of the hatred of Germans that lasted for the remainder of his parent's lives - and also these couple minutes in this Gabor Mate video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azxtxKyHntA&t=2552s

carcinofuck has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Feb 22, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1760643586188595489?t=iek7hUv92jktaNWgEY3ozQ&s=19

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So Israel is losing population faster than the people they are genociding? That's certainly something.

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Weka posted:

It’s really hard to gauge. Your MAGA lovers are of course, standing with Israel. And when you argue with them, they somehow tie it back to how you’re unpatriotic and if you hate American values then leave their country…oh and by taking even a neutral stance…you are, by default pro rape and pro Khamas.

Semi woke Americans, are sheep. Following anything Biden says are does, out of fear of another trump presidency. And they pull the “but Oct 7” card.

It’s primarily minorities, and the younger generation that’s all in on Palestine.

As a millennial, I’ve seen it pretty split. You have your millennials that are staunch liberals and pro “all lives matter….except Palestinian” / it’s complicated. I want peace for both sides”

Or again, “F U…we bleed red white and blue….(with more white and blue as of late)”

All in all it’s a poo poo bag. As someone here in S
DC, it’s mostly America or bust.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

So Israel is losing population faster than the people they are genociding? That's certainly something.

Rat's, sinking ship, etc.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Orange Devil posted:

it's not really a genocide if people are just going to their other house in cleveland

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Dunno if this was posted yet but I'm posting it anyway

https://twitter.com/jmalsin/status/1760388774331060466

gently caress these god drat monsters. Genocidal FREAKS.

"Low confidence" aka "we know Israel made it the gently caress up but we're rolling with it because forcing UNRWA to shut down will help expedite the mass death/displacement of Palestinians so we can stop thinking about it"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1760652075900264450

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

It's insanely obvious the UNRWA defunding only happened because the US was mad about the ICJ ruling against Israel.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

This and the mobilization are having significant impacts on Israel's economy too, 5% reduction in just the last quarter

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It's insanely obvious the UNRWA defunding only happened because the US was mad about the ICJ ruling against Israel.

They timed it purposely for the same day as the ICJ's preliminary ruling. Israel, the US, and EU coordinated it ahead of time

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the unrwa defunding was punishment for the icj ruling and as a way to distract from it

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
on the way home I passed a house with two flag poles: a shorter one with the confederate flag and a taller one with the israeli flag and then the DONT TREAD ON ME flag above it.

down the road there was an Israeli flag under an American one.

further down there’s a market covered with usa and Israeli flags

i am in crazy town

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

It’s paywalled, but seems pretty loving rich for an israeli to be calling out “privileged white people”

I mean, what they think they are? They are the guys who were having a loving rave party right next to the open air prison they are now bombing to oblivion because they dared to resist

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Feb 22, 2024

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul posted:

State prosecutor is demanding six months in prison for a Danish-Palestinian influencer and comedian who posted a video saying, "What's happening down there isn't really fair. There are still people down there, there are people down there... who still haven't gotten got. But 250, that ain't too bad." His defense is saying he thought he was joking about 250 IDF soldiers being killed, prosecutor is claiming it's a reference to the killing of civilians at the music festival. Neither side has mentioned that Israel most likely Hannibal'd the majority of them.

SplitSoul posted:

Aforementioned influencer wore a shirt to court that said, "Stick a finger in your rear end", apparently directed at the media.

This guy was just convicted for support of terrorism. Four months suspended sentence and 100 hours of community service.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 14:44 on Feb 22, 2024

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
lol it took a while but the Kerem Shalom protestors and the IDF guards are fighting

https://twitter.com/shirellaloom/status/1760633097937199447?t=mUzhSwZYLMvyqfmELqElmQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

quote:

The outbreak of a slave revolt in the French colony of Saint-Domingue in 1791 triggered a brutal revolutionary conflict that only came to an end in 1804, when the former colony declared its independence as the republic of Haiti. Tens of thousands of refugees fled Saint-Domingue during this period, from planters and proprietors to lower-class whites, the enslaved and free people of color. This diaspora spread across the whole Atlantic, but a significant number of refugees ended up in neighboring Caribbean islands, which for many were the very first places of refuge. Here, the years of the Haitian Revolution were those of a lively mobility posing a challenge to local authorities, who had to deal with a sudden and unprecedented influx of people in a time of deep political uncertainty.