Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
remember that your booster gives your whole team that effect, because democracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

what is up with high level players who just never use boosters

do they think they're consumables that'll get used up or something

you can only bring one of each type and i suspect some people aren't unlocking them from the battle pass and have little variety to choose from

also i've noticed when hot dropping in they're frequently bugged and i can't pick one at all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bandaid.friend posted:

Whup got my first crash after this patch. Getting bad vibes here

you ain't lived until you've fatally crashed out of at least 4 fully complete suicide missions with the supersamples in your pocket and the dropship 90 seconds out

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i wonder if it's intended that you can speedrun trivial defense and come out with 20 or 30 super creds and 10 or so common samples

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Keep in mind that one specific defense mission is, still, pretty hard compared to pretty much every other mission type within the same difficulty

I'm sure it's hard on the 7+ difficulties but so far even with pubs the civ extract defense mission at 4 has been pretty simple for me as a new player. Easier than the extended ~40 minute ICBM/etc missions. The only time I've run into issues is with a group where no one else pressed the buttons and one idiot was using mines and 380mm barrages.

Drop a billion sentries, constantly cycle between the buttons, and airstrike problem dropships as they arrive.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Gave the Laser Cannon a try and it seems pretty bad aside from not needing ammo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It sucks.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Thanks! Now go read the second half of my post.

Sometimes with the eyes of sauron they can be bugged and not have a suitable "landing" spot for the hellbomb near them so the strat just rolls around until it bounces super far away.

I found theres a spot a little down the path from the tower near the closest bunker that still lets the hellbomb land and is close enough to destroy the tower.

Its pretty annoying

Edit: i think the issue with the laser cannon is that we expect it to be a heavy weapon like the eat or rr but instead its more like a laser machinegun that can occasionally kill heavier targets.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 22, 2024

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Having fun with a couple of dudes. "Eh, they're good. I can step down from recoilless to autocannon"

Helldivers II: "Oops all Chargers"

I think we legit had 5 chargers up at one point as we ran circles around the power generators for the nuclear silo. Somehow the crew managed to get everything done during the madness and we just had to flip the switch

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
My favorite thing was having trouble killing a tank because it was inside the geometry of another dead tank. There are so many tanks the dead are shielding their brethren with their corpses. Like Jesus Christ game, have some chill.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

drrockso20 posted:

Gave the Laser Cannon a try and it seems pretty bad aside from not needing ammo
this is also true for the laser rifle, and kind of true for the lightning gun(not so bad, but not competitive compared to other support guns)
perhaps an overvaluing of ammo econ going on with how these are balanced. which would be in line with how players often think so it makes sense

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They should just make the laser cannon/rifle build heat up 50% faster and do twice as much damage.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I'm starting to think the real mvp stratagem of this game is "running the gently caress away" but drat it is hard to get most players to understand that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nalesh posted:

I don't own the game(and probably won't until they pick a sane loving anticheat), but:

Just a warning, apparently people have already figured out how to cheat samples onto other people, which is what they specifically said the worst, most controversial anticheat in the industry was there to avoid lol

If this happens you basically have to choose between keeping it and hope you don't get nuked for "cheating" when a banwave occurs, or contact support where it's probably a cointoss whether the outsourced, underpaid customer support rep you contact with this doesn't just ban you for cheating instead.

The very post you linked has an arrowhead rep saying if you genuinely care that much you can contact them directly and they'll fix your account / remove the excess samples. It is literally the top voted reply. What the gently caress are you on about.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Until I read this thread this morning I did think boosters were consumable so I haven't spent a single medal on them. Blame the rest of the freemium industry for creating that expectation as the baseline.

I've enjoyed the slot-3 laser cannon, sweep it around and burn down a swathe of little bugs or you can focus fire and pop some armor off a charger. Probably drop it eventually but it's the best available thing I could afford.

Handheld slot-1 laser is lovely and a trap though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Having fun with a couple of dudes. "Eh, they're good. I can step down from recoilless to autocannon"

Helldivers II: "Oops all Chargers"

I think we legit had 5 chargers up at one point as we ran circles around the power generators for the nuclear silo. Somehow the crew managed to get everything done during the madness and we just had to flip the switch

If people are running drone backpacks they will aggro every charger this side of Fenrir III

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every charger must be destroyed

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

It has been a long time since I played any online matchmaking games and I had forgotten how pissy some people can be.

Running bug helldive missions with a team of pubbies, one of them sprints in front of my shotgun directly at 4 stalkers for some reason. No big deal right? Wrong. Dude spent the entire 30 minutes left in the mission complaining about dying that one time. Also lost his mind that the lower level guy had grabbed his spear and fired a round out of it (that hit a bile titan.) Demanded he drop it and yelled at him until he figured out how to.

Just ran around mumbling about not having all of his spear ammo and how the team can't see where they shoot. Over and over.

Even dramatically announced he was headed off alone and nobody was allowed to follow him because he didn't want to be teamkilled anymore, after dying one time.

After adjusting his fedora, sheathing his katana and walking into the sunset as a true ronin he died 2 minutes later across the map pissed off he was so far away from his corpse. Then again. And again. And again.

You get 20+ reinforcements and half of the weapons are giant explosions so I don't see how you can get that mad about dying but it is pretty entertaining playing with hundreds of random people.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Only time Ive been annoyed at TKs was when the guy had 12 of em a round

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

This game has the best community of any game I’ve played in quite some time. Almost every time I quick play I make a friend or two just talking about spreading democracy and laughing when I get killed.

The only thing I really wish they’d change is the scrambled stratagems, it creates some pretty unfun situations

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
As someone with a new kid 15 minutes seems a bit too hasty, I think 30 to an hour woulda been better.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Dandywalken posted:

Um actually you'll find that every mission should be literal perfection

Every patrol should be avoided

No one should ever die to anything, much less a teamkill

Every sample should be grabbed

Every mission objective completed

All done at a full sprint

If one of those things was messed up and Exp for the match is like 150 lower than it would have been its time to complain, quit and go find some real professionals

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Not sure what your point is, but losing over half your teams lives because one guy is sloppy and killing em does indeed suck.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Handy guide for AC-lovers on how to easiest take down chargers in 2 shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHZd8dGK0vQ

Railgun is fine and all but there's just somethin about luggin a giant cannon on your shoulder everywhere, and I love the ammo capacity.

Oooh that explains a lot. I had been wondering why sometimes my shots to the front legs would connect and seem to do damage, while they normally just glance off. Never knew that the armor can be partially degraded like that without visually breaking.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

dragged a teammate through a challenging bug mission last night. something really weird is that the bugs just really seemed to hate him in particular, where they would run past me to chase him. made it easier for me to clear the objectives but it was very funny to just be clearing rocks of eggs while he's running around in the background kiting 30+ bugs and a charger lol.

Dandywalken posted:

I've had real bad tk luck with the mortar sentry, but the only time people took a tk personally wasn't even my fault. we're holding the extraction site, someone called in an orbital, I ready an air strike grenade but before I can throw it a stray orbital shot kills me. seconds later two teammates get killed by air strike on my dropped beacon lol. chat was heated until I could explain

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 22, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I feel remorse for a dude loudly complaining after walking into an orbital bombardment, then frustratingly saying "what are you guys doing!? if I die one more time ugh I'm gonna lose it" and then I called an eagle straight at his feet

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

my only bad interaction was a guy purposefully standing under drops and teamkilling for no reason so they got a swift kick. Best interaction I had was someone asking if they could use one of the EAT's like buddy they're for everyone of course you can.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
crashed after finding 3 ultra rare samples. uuuoooorugh

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Kazinsal posted:

We fiddled with a bug tonight where, once in a while, for no discernable reason, the host and only the host of the lobby was unable to be rezzed by a reinforcement stratagem. If the host dropped and someone else became the host, they could come back in, and if they died, they could be rezzed, but then whoever was shunted into the host role when they dropped inherited the bug.

Weird poo poo.
I had this same bug a couple days ago, it was bizarre. Even after a teamwipe I couldn't come back with the forced reinforce drop while the others did.

Fishstick posted:

Handy guide for AC-lovers on how to easiest take down chargers in 2 shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHZd8dGK0vQ

Railgun is fine and all but there's just somethin about luggin a giant cannon on your shoulder everywhere, and I love the ammo capacity.
Yeah I recently unlocked the railgun and while I do enjoy that it functions like a space bolt-action rifle I'm missing the autocannon already.

According to the pinned comment in that video certain animations should make chargers completely vulnerable no matter the angle, most notably right after a charge. If that's true then that makes the AC an autopick for me against bugs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the best thing about the autocannon is when you have 2 or more people running it and you can hit E when next to each other to reload each other ultra fast because you're both wearing the autocannon ammo backpacks

the worst thing about the autocannon is no shield backpack

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

ijyt posted:

Best interaction I had was someone asking if they could use one of the EAT's like buddy they're for everyone of course you can.

:3: I love when the cooldowns are up and I can offer up my extra laser drones or jump packs to people lol, seeing level 3s jump around is heart warming

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think my favorite looney tunes moment in this game is when the knockback from a teammates airstrike ragdolled me and caused me to drop the airstrike I was holding at my feet.

Which then killed the half the team.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dyz posted:

I think my favorite looney tunes moment in this game is when the knockback from a teammates airstrike ragdolled me and caused me to drop the airstrike I was holding at my feet.

Hubris is charging at a bot outpost with barrage pokeball in hand

Reality is getting flung into space by a puffball blast and your teammates eating your barrage

There's so many things that'll do it too. Turns out rocket sentries have backblast too!

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Dyz posted:

Same, but I was holding anti-personnel mines and I have the upgrade that makes them come in instantly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

JosefStalinator posted:

As someone with a new kid 15 minutes seems a bit too hasty, I think 30 to an hour woulda been better.

It's pretty normal imo, since if you DC the idle players then new players get in quickly. So if you step away for an hour you aren't sitting through a queue to get back in.

Theoretically.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

When I had a new kid I just played single player games for a few years but it was right when Arkham Knight X-COM 2 and Civ VI were out so I had it easy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

so I was thinkin about yknow, the lore as shown by the environment and enemies and stuff... The automatons are probably not just killbots, huh? It strikes me as significant that their big hitters tend to be the same T-600 skeletons as their ground troops, just stuffed into a suit of armor or riding the back of an AT-ST.

I mean, they're robots, right? They could just make an AT-ST with a robot brain inside if they wanted, with no unarmored dink on the back to get shot. And since they don't, there's likely some sort of civilization there, right? Like, they're not just "robots", it's a race of people who look like T-600s, and they're just reproducing more of themselves and building tanks and armor for themselves to use, rather than building different, more powerful robots.

And if it's a true civilization with real intelligence and culture, it's even more of a threat to Super Earth, and every last trace of them must be extinguished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

They're dirty fuckin commies and deserve to be liberated (from their robot bodies)