Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I wouldn’t mind going back to base DS2 as an unremixed version. Might be fun. Been so long! What’s the easiest way to do that?

Get the .iso and RPCS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Both versions of Dark Souls 2 are still for sale on Steam. And both usually go on sale for :10bux: when Bandai Namco feels like it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
And a little bit less at JoyBuggy

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Which version is best to get as a stupid newbie?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
SotFS, probably, I don't think raw DS2 is really better in any way, and scholar has a bunch of fun stuff including aldia jumpscares that will make you poo poo your pants

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Souls games should bring back life gems for PvE stuff and the inevitable swamp sections.

I barely chugged at all in DS2, life gem popper like it was going out of fashion for that delicious regen.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Which version is best to get as a stupid newbie?

Scholar has 2-3 areas that were made markedly harder balanced out by several more that are easier or offer up additional NPC phantoms to help you through. One area even got a whole new shortcut added to make dying less arduous.

Most importantly Scholar added loads more appearances of the best NPC summon in the game, Sellsword Luet. :colbert:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Though I guess a relevant question is how stupid a newbie are we talking? If you've got DS1 experience (or any other Souls game experience, really) you'll have a pretty big leg up. DS2 gets silly sometimes but a lot of the basics are the exact same moves from the exact same playbook, and that applies to either version.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I just can't even imagine how sad having the vanilla game as your first experience of DS2 must be. I only discovered the differences later watching runs on twitch, and some of my best/worst (at the same time) memories were some of the glorious ganks that Scholar added in. And these only really work if you're a bad newbie going through the game for the first time ever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To me it's kinda funny that while everyone else is like "loving Iron Keep!!! :argh:" I'm mostly just pissed off at what they did to Dragon Aerie.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

John Murdoch posted:

To me it's kinda funny that while everyone else is like "loving Iron Keep!!! :argh:" I'm mostly just pissed off at what they did to Dragon Aerie.

The Iron Keep would probably be fine if it wasn't for the absolutely massive aggro ranges in SotFS

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

They're both good, but I have fonder (and more infuriating) memories of Heide and the Lost Bastille due to facing these at much lower SL. :negative:

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

John Murdoch posted:

Though I guess a relevant question is how stupid a newbie are we talking?

Just finished DS1

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One big difference between the two was that in the original you could access the DLCs as soon as you reached their statues, rather than the keys being hidden in other locations. So if you knew what you were doing you could drop down to The Rotten, kill him, and access Sunken King for stuff like Flynn's Ring super-early.

You also started with a bunch of items from pre-orders that gave you more options in the early game. Now they're only sold from the ghost chancellor in Drangleic Castle.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thanks for the explanations. I tried looking this stuff up on YouTube but I couldn't find anything that was a plain here's the differences showcase or at least didn't show off anything that I felt I should re buy the game for.

With it being on sale and the event coming up I'll go ahead and grab a copy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/scholar-of-the-first-sin

This is the more or less definitive list.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Man i put like almost 500 hours into vanilla ds2, I loved it. It was the only souls game where I just kept rerolling to try new things and learned where all the items were that I liked and poo poo. I went into ng+4 on my main character lol. God I hope they put the fume knight ultra greatsword into the elden ring dlc.

My guy would run around in the one green dress, I forget what it was from, maybe the fennito chicks? Then some greatshield and first the basic guts greatsword and later I upgraded to the love of my life the fume knight ultra greatsword.

I'm forever mad how hard they made it to get fkugs in ds3 lol, that stupid npc owned me all the time.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 14, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

oh yeah, if you end up looking stuff up on a wiki use the wikidot one, it's the most accurate iirc

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm forever mad how hard they made it to get fkugs in ds3 lol, that stupid npc owned me all the time.

Tsorig is a huge chump. Lure him away up the stairs and across the catwalk. Climb up the ladder a bit and the Black Knight will pick a fight with him.

Or use any kind of spell.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've seen somebody use an alluring skull to make Tsorig take a lava bath which is really funny

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oh yeah, if you end up looking stuff up on a wiki use the wikidot one, it's the most accurate iirc

For Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 (it even has notes for vanilla DS2 and SoTFS) use wikidot for sure.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Any dumb/fun build suggestions for RtD? Trying to think back, I've already been through:
- sword and board (bit boring but looks good)
- mace/miracle cleric (always fun)
- big big club (pancaking ftw)
- katana weeabo (just works, and makes Sir Alonne a personal Nemesis)
- blue/red Smelter UGS powerstancing (not optimal, but drat, those colours!)
- lance (insanely boring)
- rapier (see above)
- Muhammad Ali cosplay (shorts/boots and punching things, pretty fun but don't feel like going at it again)
- hexer + MLGS (so many options, one of the best things in this game)
- 40k Terminator (havel armour + invisible helmet + power stanced claws, a bit shite)

On vague musings right now:
- don't think I've ever gone all-in on pure pyro, so maybe... But I feel like it's just going to feel like a purely lesser hexer build.
- go down the archery line and aim for dual Avelyn? Viable for sure, but not sure that'll be entertaining long enough. Are there some weird/alternative bows? I've mostly always used the Dragonrider bow because of its stupidly good STR scaling, and well, Avelyn is Avelyn.
- redo the weeb but beeline the washing pole instead of the normal-sized katanas? It looks ridiculous so there's that at least.
- focus on consumables? I presume firebombs come with unlimited supply, but it might get tedious. Are black firebombs also infinite? Maybe as a complement to pyro?
- never did dual fridge doors either, but that feels like it'd just be a slower and more boring boxing build. Some potential in coop to tank for weak hosts, but RtD players rarely require it.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Santier Spear is very fun and also very easy to play.

Twinblades is also good, especially if you can hit the Red Iron Twinblade.

Halberds and Reapers are tricky to use thanks to their sweet spot mechanic.

Curved Swords are very fun to use in general.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Me and two buds did a dumb gimmicks only co-op run once, and I was the crossbows only guy. I'm not super sure about the Avelyn, but the two crossbows from Shulva oooown (and also you can get them super early). The Dark projectile they fire deals mega damage, and of course, the normal shots being ranged for chaff is also great. It might be a bit boring for the full run, so I'd rec pairing it with something else - maybe you can put the Pyro to use here (you'll have the stats), or use only Chime hexes if you haven't done that yet, something like that.

I've also done a few runs focusing on weapons that have a projectile R2, that can be really fun and cool to make better and better. Basically, if you hit with the R2 physical attack itself AND the projectile, the enemy is in Trouble, and because the projectile is elemental, you can fully spec on that, as well as enchant the weapon. Ice Rapier is known to be busted (and you already did Rapier so I'm not gonna rec it), but you can also go Spitfire Spear (fire infused) + flame weapon + leo ring, then counter hit. Lots of ways to make the build better and better throughout the game.

Of course, that spear is rather late. Dragonslayer Spear works the same way and you can beeline that a bit better, just have to do the stats differently of course. What you then can do is powerstance the two, similar to the R/B Smelter build but not as demanding on the weight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm gonna do a twinblade build because I never really bothered with them until Elden Ring.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
All I've done before is big bonk and punch 'em ups. Dunno if I should repeat my katana + parry lord run I did in DS1 last year or tinker with magic like I tried to do this year.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Double thrusting swords are a fun setup, your burst damage (esp with leo ring) is nuts.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That's how I went through my second run. Whole game using the shopkeeper's robes, only in the end went Fashion Souls and changed into Llewellyn's armor. I powerstanced with Ricard's rapier occasionally but mostly just 2-handing the original rapier. Lightning resin when I remembered to do so. Targeting was an issue in some encounters, but mostly it was very neat. I did use longbow a lot to clear out rooms though, stuff like Shrine of Amana becomes a lot easier if you just take your time.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I got summoned in No man's wharf to two guys playing together (very similar names). They appeared to be fighting a phantom like the ones in Shaded Woods? That cant possibly be right but that's what they were doing. I don't understand this game anymore.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Santier Spear is very fun and also very easy to play.

Twinblades is also good, especially if you can hit the Red Iron Twinblade.

Halberds and Reapers are tricky to use thanks to their sweet spot mechanic.

Curved Swords are very fun to use in general.

Twinblades are not good, only one or two specific ones are as they break away from the unsuable default nature of the group.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I got summoned in No man's wharf to two guys playing together (very similar names). They appeared to be fighting a phantom like the ones in Shaded Woods? That cant possibly be right but that's what they were doing. I don't understand this game anymore.

They were fighting an NPC, other players' NPCs show up like that when you're summoned/invading.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Serephina posted:

Twinblades are not good, only one or two specific ones are as they break away from the unsuable default nature of the group.
Counterpoint: Twinblades are rad as hell

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh gently caress yea, they're cool as heck, which is why it's such a crying shame that they sucked so much after I enchanted a few up.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I’ll remember you forever, Helicopter Man.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
As usual, the upcoming Return got me to return early, so I'm at the memories of giants right now, with a faith build. It's a bit sad that the build only really comes into its own around Amana (Sunlight Blade and Faith high enough to make offensive miracles a credible alternative to a bow) with much of the game already gone. There's still the DLC, but I might dip into NG+ just to spam lots of lightning into early areas. I had never really played much with Heavenly Thunder, but it's solid, it hits more often than I expected, and does ok damage even early on. Even better on big hitbox enemies.

Peak of this run so far has been being summoned in Aldia's Keep by someone who hadn't found the mid-keep bonfire secret wall. Tried to point at the wall but they didn't notice, so helped out with carving a way through the hall. And then I got to see the host dumbly walking towards that door at the very end of the hall and instantly die to the hippo smashing his way through. :allears:

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Just got SotFS, what do I need to know coming from Dark Souls Remastered/basic beginners tips to avoid frustration? The change of graphical style from the first one is awesome I reckon

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Level ADP (it determines dodge iframes and flask drinking speed)
Don't be afraid to use lifegems as the game showers you with them
The class that starts with a shield is a trap because they also have a terrible broken weapon. You can find a very good weapon immediately after the tutorial area but DS2 really wants you to abandon hiding behind a shield and I was too much of a coward to listen at first

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Just got SotFS, what do I need to know coming from Dark Souls Remastered/basic beginners tips to avoid frustration? The change of graphical style from the first one is awesome I reckon

There's a derived stat called Agility (visible on level up and on the player status), which determines how many iframes you get on a roll (as well as the speed of use of consumables). Agility is calculated mainly from Adaptability (ADP) and a bit from Attunement (ATT). You can look up the wiki for exact break points, but general advice would be to pump ADP until you reach 99 Agility, which will give you a comfortable roll akin to DS1. With your starting ADP, you will likely notice that you get hit a lot when you thought you rolled in time, that will be the reason, and it's easy enough to fix. Don't stress it with regards to "wasted" level ups, the game throws a lot of levels at you so you'll have ample time to pump up your favourite stats.

If you have only played DS1 too, Estus in DS2 takes the form it'll have in all subsequent games. You'll have one charge of it, and will permanently increase that by one for each Estus Flask Shard that you find. Another item, called Sublime Bone Dust, can be burned at the bonfire in Majula to increase Estus strength (+1, +2, etc). There's no more bonfire kindling. Note that Estus is not instant in DS2, but a fast-ish regeneration which will feel agonisingly slow coming from DS1.

Still on healing, the game has life gems: consumables giving you some slow regeneration for a bit. These are ultimately available in infinite stock so don't be afraid to use them.

Each time you die, you hollow up a bit, reducing your max health, up to 50% if you die a lot. This can be reset by using a Human Effigy (akin to Humanity in DS1), and the penalty can be halved by wearing a specific ring (won't spoil location unless asked, but it's there), so while it feels incredibly punishing at first, it's not that big of a deal, really. Plus you should be pumping VIG regularly to increase your max HP anyhow.

At a bonfire, you can press Y to change the action from 'sit at bonfire' to 'light up torch'. You can also light up your torch at some lit sconces. This is kind of a big deal. With the torch in hand, you light up the area around you, which is nice in some dark areas, but you can also set some things on fire, mostly sconces. Lighting up sconces makes some dark areas very pretty and occasionally does things. Your torch has a timer for how long it lasts, and each torch that you loot from enemies will extend that timer, so you shouldn't be able to run out of time with it and by endgame have over an hour of torch time available. So don't hesitate to take it out in dark areas, it looks pretty and it's useful, though it keeps your left hand occupied and unavailable for a second weapon, shield or two-handing.

Secret doors don't open with a weapon strike, but by pressing the A button. So hug walls and press A instead of breaking your weapon and wondering why there are no secret doors in this game.

If you kill the same enemy too many times, it will stop respawning. This will ensure any area you struggle with will eventually become a lot easier. There's a covenant called Covenant of Champions which you might find early on. It increases difficulty a bit (more HP/damage for enemies) and makes all enemies spawn even if they shouldn't anymore. This is convenient for farming souls/items should you want to. Just remember to leave that covenant once you're done.

Forget DS1 preconceptions about playing "the right way" and pack a bow/crossbow and ammo. Even completely unupgraded. It's a really useful tool and will go a long way to preserve your sanity in some rough areas. Think of the pure melee as a challenge once you've been through the game once.

There are no mimics in DS2. Rejoice!

Early game is brutal (low ADP, few healing options, hollowing, some hilariously bullshit hitboxes for one-shot grab attacks), but don't give up. It really eases up past the first few areas.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 22, 2024

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Pick Cleric to start. they start with a heal spell and the Mace is pretty good.

Paracelsus posted:

They were fighting an NPC, other players' NPCs show up like that when you're summoned/invading.

I don't understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Amazing effortpost, much obliged!