Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am only casually keeping up with the current story so maybe I'm confusing reader knowledge with character knowledge, but I thought everyone understood that once a Dominion exists, it has always existed. Why does anyone think going back in time and killing Moira will stop it coming into existence now that it exists

(I mean I know it won't work anyway because even Marvel editors wouldn't mandate an unsatisfying "shoot an innocent teenage girl in the head" ending that retcons the last five years of critically and commercially beloved stories out of existence, but why does Xavier think it might work)

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

but why does Xavier think it might work

It's stated in this issue of Rise: they have seen signs the Dominion is worried about their plan, as if this particular Dominion can only affect from Moira's powering up onward, when new timelines were suddenly created and destroyed over and over. Xavier doesn't 100% believe this plan will work, but it's the only chance he and his buddy "Doug" can see, so here we are.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Rick posted:

I also like the bit where just no one ever listens to Destiny, ever. Moria would have saved herself a lot of trouble, should have let her come back so everyone could proceed to shrugging their shoulders at her prophecies.

In all fairness, Destiny can be a bit of an overbearing rear end. Even her hot blue psycho wife needs a breather from her now and then.

"You ordered your eggs soft-boiled and now thousands of children in a coastal city will starve. No I will not explain how."

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This Dominion relied specifically on the Moira Engines to succeed. No Moira, no engines.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

It's stated in this issue of Rise: they have seen signs the Dominion is worried about their plan, as if this particular Dominion can only affect from Moira's powering up onward, when new timelines were suddenly created and destroyed over and over. Xavier doesn't 100% believe this plan will work, but it's the only chance he and his buddy "Doug" can see, so here we are.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

This Dominion relied specifically on the Moira Engines to succeed. No Moira, no engines.
This sounds a bit like they realised they wrote themselves into a corner with the general "once it comes into existence, it has always existed and transcends time" and have added a specific exception for this one fella, but you know what, fair enough. As comic book time travel rules go we've accepted worse

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
According to Sinister, not even Enigma itself is completely sure that it's safe from its creation being disrupted. It might be outside of causality. It probably is......but it doesn't know for certain.

I thought RotPoX was good, and I know we have the rest of this series and all of "X-Men Forever" to deal with this Enigma situation, but also like...I feel like this plot should be a way bigger deal and take up much more real estate than it does now? Especially if the issues are going to be as decompressed as it is here, I feel like this should be a company-wide event that takes all of 2024 to resolve, if not longer. This entity is supposed to be a threat to Eternity itself and the retroactive cause of the entirety of Hickman's Avengers/Secret Wars plot. Is it really going to be resolved in...wait let me count...seven more issues of comics?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But like whet exactly would Spider-Man do against something that exists outside of space and time?

Plus the X-Men have the Phoenix that can solve that problem, just have to make sure it doesn't die first.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lol well at least they're keeping their options open. Honestly I feel they undermined the threat from the start by saying "this thing is so scary that the only thing that can possibly defeat it is... one of your main team members when she gets her usual power up"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm introducing the most fearsome dragon ball villain yet: Doorknob of the Furniture Gang. He can only be defeated by the power of a Super Saiyan 2

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

Is it really going to be resolved in...wait let me count...seven more issues of comics?

Of course it is, and nobody is going to give a poo poo about the concept of Dominions going forward because they aren't interesting. People can't even meaningfully write for Legion and Franklin that regularly. It's hard to take someone with true total control of all reality and still tell a grounded and engaging story with them, so what they largely do is....not let them use their full potential. Legion's many brain problems limit him, and Franklin is still a growing child. What the hell can you meaningfully do with characters that are like 3 levels of bullshit above them, the people you already couldn't write for? Hey remember those like 3 times Wanda just completely smoked all reality? Yeah? Lets just move on rapidly and not think about that too much!

But no, these guys? Man these guys are the real powers. They are super duper beyond anything you've ever dealt with before. None of your tricks matter, except somehow the dude with knives on his hands will be relevant to the plot because Wolverine sells. The reality is there is an upper limit to the level of bullshit the average person can parse, and that's the level this plot will have to be resolved at. So for all they do a work to try and sell Dominions, they aren't actually going to take anything more to deal with than Incursions or Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet or any other type of threat does, because there isn't an up from there that works. It's just that you can't go "Well yeah this kind of sucks but whatever, we'll get through it because we've done like 9 reality threatening apocalypse events in our lifetimes, it's no big deal.", so hey. Guess this big bad is the biggest and baddest it's ever been.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hickman is already completely ignoring dominions etc. in G.O.D.S. Domin-whats? Never heard of them, now let me tell you about the science and magic gods.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This sounds a bit like they realised they wrote themselves into a corner with the general "once it comes into existence, it has always existed and transcends time" and have added a specific exception for this one fella, but you know what, fair enough. As comic book time travel rules go we've accepted worse

My head canon is that a Dominion can and does exist outside of space and time but whenever it ventures (maybe not entirely but with "tendrils" of itself) into either time or space to gently caress with stuff it because vulnerable to the rules that exist for us mere mortals. And because of that it can be beaten since it's coming down to our level.

Note that this theory is stolen from Wheel of Time and how the Dark One exists outside of time but is able to be defeated because it is "touching the world"

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Engima is also a special Dominion because it's just Essex's brain patterns shoved into a supergod. The usual Sinister hubris probably hurts him more than most Dominions, which we're told usually don't give a poo poo about things on the mortal level unless you wave a matrioshka brain around like a squeaky toy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i don't think the essex dominion is impossible to defeat if he's asking loving moira for help

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

We've already had that one scene confirming that Enigma is officially the weird kid of the Dominion group. The one everyone let's hang out even though they are a little off, and no one really knows who invited him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I am only casually keeping up with the current story so maybe I'm confusing reader knowledge with character knowledge, but I thought everyone understood that once a Dominion exists, it has always existed. Why does anyone think going back in time and killing Moira will stop it coming into existence now that it exists

(I mean I know it won't work anyway because even Marvel editors wouldn't mandate an unsatisfying "shoot an innocent teenage girl in the head" ending that retcons the last five years of critically and commercially beloved stories out of existence, but why does Xavier think it might work)

It would actually retcon the last 48 years of X-Men comics. Moira MacTaggert first appeared in December 1975 and was incredibly import for the majority of Claremont's run and to a lesser degree even after he left up until her "death" to the legacy virus in the 90s

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

My head canon is that a Dominion can and does exist outside of space and time but whenever it ventures (maybe not entirely but with "tendrils" of itself) into either time or space to gently caress with stuff it because vulnerable to the rules that exist for us mere mortals. And because of that it can be beaten since it's coming down to our level.

Note that this theory is stolen from Wheel of Time and how the Dark One exists outside of time but is able to be defeated because it is "touching the world"

Yeah you know what, I quite like that, it's very mythic and means this guy's defeat can be blamed directly on Sinister's hubris. Picturing all the real adult Dominions sit at their poker table and chuckle at the new guy.

Also I know we're never going to see or hear about Dominions again but if there are several of them surely they just merge into the next stage of ultimate intelligence. No you know what it's fine. Let's just leave it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

It would actually retcon the last 48 years of X-Men comics. Moira MacTaggert first appeared in December 1975 and was incredibly import for the majority of Claremont's run and to a lesser degree even after he left up until her "death" to the legacy virus in the 90s

Lmfao the thought just occurred to me - is this particular subplot going to end with them doing a Beast and bootstrapping Moira's past self up to defeat the current one. It would be incredibly funny if they did that twice in one event

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 22, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol RotPoX is an acronym

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Roll Fortitude to avoid getting the Rot Pox

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
is it a vaccine like an mmr shot - I got one because people are not vaccinating their children.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man the Hellfire Gala issue was incredibly terrible. Like I hated that so much I can't really go off on it because I can't do it in a way that's sane. The one thing I have to mention though is a white writer having a black character say "some of my best friends are mutants" loving sucks. Okay cutting myself off there.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's Wednesday, watch out fellas.

Resurrection of Magneto 2 spoilers: Absolutely lovely issue, and also lol that it could've just ended here except that there's still 3 more to go, so ohhhh no there's a big scary monster in Magneto's psyche! No, not Onslaught, another one!

I was hoping that the Namor adventure at the beginning of the issue was going to be the origin story of Magneto's weird Cthulhu island from the 70s, but those were Utopia-era costumes. The fact that apparently we're going to explain Magneto came back to life because he got a key from a fish monster off-panel is really driving it home that Krakoa is over.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That place was cool, loved that arc where Cyclops was walking the Earth after Dark Phoenix Saga.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's from Hickman's Giant Size X-men

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wonder where all the names on the walls in RoM #2 are from. I recognize a couple as being relatively deep continuity cuts, like that scientist Max aced in an early issue of Cullen Bunn's 2014 Magneto solo, but there are a lot of other legible names that don't get highlighted. Are they fans? Friends of Ewing's? Production people at Marvel?

(Also, now that I'm thinking about it, one way you can make absolutely drat sure that Disney doesn't mine your Marvel comics work for movies/TV and shut you out of the profits is to make most of your output an intricate map of Norse epics, Kabbalah symbolism, 40-year-old continuity dives, and tarot motifs. Try making a loving cartoon out of that, Feige.)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

They don't pay you much of anything even if they do heavily base it on your work, I heard from Brubaker etc, potato potahto.

If they make a Zombo movie though, Ewing may get that sweet cheddar.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite the truly excellent lineup, dead x-men is sort of disappointing. none of the team really have their distinct personalities. they had a single job that was tangentially related to the main storyline in other books, but completed that in the first issue. now they are jumping around at random in non-existent timelines looking for death metal album cover moira, who is killing random people for no particular reason. it all seems sort of pointless?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think Marvel did end up cutting him a bigger check after this article came out, but Jim Starlin said that he got more money from DC for the use of some minor henchman in BvS than for Thanos and all of the GotG characters put together. Anything the movie companies throw to the creators is peanuts.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

That place was cool, loved that arc where Cyclops was walking the Earth after Dark Phoenix Saga.

What series was that?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sephyr posted:

What series was that?

In Uncanny X-Men right after the Dark Phoenix Saga, Cyclops leaves the team and walks the Earth soul searching, as the B-plot. He runs into Man-Thing, befriends a sailor woman, and he ends up stumbling upon Magneto's cool water castle thingy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

In Uncanny X-Men right after the Dark Phoenix Saga, Cyclops leaves the team and walks the Earth soul searching, as the B-plot. He runs into Man-Thing, befriends a sailor woman, and he ends up stumbling upon Magneto's cool water castle thingy.

The Cyclops team-up with Man-Thing is really great. Everyone should check that issue out if they haven't.

But yeah, the rest of that arc is pretty cool too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Every once in a while, I remember Lee Forrester exists, figure that someone has to have whacked her for cheap drama by now, look her up, and am delighted to discover she's still alive.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wanderer posted:

Every once in a while, I remember Lee Forrester exists, figure that someone has to have whacked her for cheap drama by now, look her up, and am delighted to discover she's still alive.

I was a little disheartened to learn from RoM that Sharon Friedlander suffered this exact fate... in 1993.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

despite the truly excellent lineup, dead x-men is sort of disappointing. none of the team really have their distinct personalities. they had a single job that was tangentially related to the main storyline in other books, but completed that in the first issue. now they are jumping around at random in non-existent timelines looking for death metal album cover moira, who is killing random people for no particular reason. it all seems sort of pointless?

Cyber Moira seems to be trying to succeed where she failed in her "just murder the AI inventors" timeline. Including going after government officials that enable them like Gyrich. Although I didn't catch why she attacked the Brotherhood at the beginning.

Anyway, it's obviously a side-story that won't affect much of the other comics, but I'm glad this team is at least getting a chance to do something before the status quo changes. But yeah, they aren't getting much opportunity to shine as individuals.

Heavy Metal posted:

I heard from a podcast that Cyclops needed a new outfit when they came upon Magneto's castle, and got some kind of octopus outfit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

glitchwraith posted:

I heard from a podcast that Cyclops needed a new outfit when they came upon Magneto's castle, and got some kind of octopus outfit.

Oh yes, he looked great

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
when did magneto start worshiping cthulhu

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is a funny thing, my thought is he thinks it looks cool, like a hobby. Geeking out a bit. I wonder what other hobbies Magneto has.

edit: oh yeah, I guess that place has a rich history

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Island_M

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 29, 2024

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Heavy Metal posted:

I wonder what other hobbies Magneto has.

Killing Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Love that Magneto just decided to move into an ancient, Lovecraftian island on a whim. Though he did keep a similar aesthetic when making his Autumn Palace on Arrako during X-Men Red. I think he just like's tentacles.