Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Karach posted:

What are the good jobs? I've already had all the bad ones

Actuary isn't that bad. But it's like programming where you're constantly jealous of American salaries, but not enough to actually move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

RBC posted:

people seem pretty mad about milhouse wanting to check your id before you jerk off

maybe a sign of things to come

I'll admit my hopes have been fading lately but I still believe justin can pull this off

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pull off retiring to a seven figgie job at an NGO after he loses the election? Yeah probably

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao. Fun article. Computer touchers must be destroyed

But Black Dynamite, I touch computers in the community!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just be glad it's not you that has to touch them

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

drat horror queefs posted:

Once upon a time, kids in public school with different academic ability were split into different levels.

Now, as an idiotic cost cutting measure (dressed in a transparent fig leaf of "equality"), all the kids are in the same classes, no matter their intellectual ability or if they have violent behavioural problems or are nonverbal etc etc. Everyone takes the same grade 9 math class with the same educational standards.

Wait, what?

Is this the English Public or French Public board?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Wait, what?

I think it's both but idk offhand.

See, e.g., here: https://globalnews.ca/news/10088849/ontario-school-destreaming-rollout-issues/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Wait, what?

it’s been like this at every school district I’ve encountered in Alberta, Ontario and Nova Scotia. so like, idk, 8-10 across Canada?

based on my sample it could be different in catholic or French or private schools but it’s not like teachers keep silent about this at conferences and stuff.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Juul-Whip posted:

I'll admit my hopes have been fading lately but I still believe justin can pull this off

Squinty PP is absolutely as charmless as Scheer & O'Toole but my impression so far is even libs are getting sick of JT

Still if he doesn't bring Mad Max and his pp's back into the fold I'm not sure he can swing enough ridings

My prediction atm is the next election would shake out more or less like the last 2

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah i think not having to face trudeau more head-to-head like he would during an election is good for pp, it makes him seem to a degree competent and charismatic when he's not around the pm lol

i wonder what trudeau's goal is, to last longer than his dad?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RBC posted:

people seem pretty mad about milhouse wanting to check your id before you jerk off

maybe a sign of things to come

milhouse and Jagmeet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ctvottawa/status/1760424633252159575?t=pRkUa3gHqJsoEZzmZjhqcA&s=19

So glad to see that the OPS continues to be everything I've come to expect from cops.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Heh, jokes on them I don't need internet to get horny

Not when I have the underwear ads in the Sears catalogue ohgoddammit

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The motivation i heard for destreaming is that it was classist, because finishing the entire ctbs test with time to spare was a product of my stable home life in a place where i could develop english literacy, numeracy and test-taking skills that another similarly-clever kid who wasn't a born-here wouldn't have had. It wasn't until high school that I met a Black kid* in those gifted classes, and we never had an ESL student. Just white and Asian born-heres, quite a few politically active types, connected parents, none of us with any question about how we'd pay for the university we were "of course" going to; you know. Those kids.

Turns out streaming was really bad for me, because the policy at that time was not to evaluate the anointed ones for learning disabilities, so i pulled acceptable marks in hard classes dragging the wildly unmanaged adhd millstone behind me, only to flunk out of uni because they don't think too well of students who don't hand in assignments and try to learn the material during the test

(that kid stayed clever long enough to become a pretty remarkable man even if he was a total prick to me, but we're both over it now cause i'm still an asocial weirdo and he's still going pedal-down in a system that was all-but-designed to keep him out)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/ctvottawa/status/1760424633252159575?t=pRkUa3gHqJsoEZzmZjhqcA&s=19

So glad to see that the OPS continues to be everything I've come to expect from cops.

Lmao. Do they at least have another stupid reformist (lol) police chief to blame this time

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Hubbert posted:

It's when you log off.

EDIT: YES I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT IS

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Karach posted:

What are the good jobs? I've already had all the bad ones

Touching the computer used to be good but ever since ZIRP ended it’s just a revolving door of The-Worst-MBA-Guy-You’ve-Ever-Met coming to optimize your P&L so at this point I think my next job is probably slangin’ espresso shots. :shrug:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

The motivation i heard for destreaming is that it was classist,

it’s extremely good to make the classroom as diverse as possible. the issue is that no resources are being allocated to make it accessible.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao. Fun article. Computer touchers must be destroyed

Writing code is basically posting in a forum with very strict rules and relentless moderation, if you think about it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

tuyop posted:

it’s extremely good to make the classroom as diverse as possible. the issue is that no resources are being allocated to make it accessible.

if there's one thing centrists love it's half a solution

like how safe injection sites don't have any of the things like case workers and mh doctors and housing that'd make someone actually able to kick

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Street Epistemology feels like if I hired Nathan Fielder to zhuzh up my philosophy department

quote:

Peter springs to the center of the room. The air pressure changes. A buzz, a hum, a current about us. He brims with a frenzied energy. Something is happening. He is going to give us a taste of what’s to come, he says. This is the kind of intellectual activity we’re going to experience at UATX. We’re going to grapple with big issues. We’re going to be daring, fearless, undaunted. We’re going, he says, to do something called “Street Epistemology.”

What is Street Epistemology? He’ll demonstrate. It’s one of two things he does, the other being jiu-jitsu. “I don’t have a life,” he says. “I talk to strangers and I wrestle strangers.” But before we can do Street Epistemology, Peter needs to think of some questions.

He turns his back to the audience, hunches slightly and strides, stroking his chin. He is Rodin’s thinker set in manic motion; he is a relentless logician in his study at midnight; he is a frantically philosophical gremlin … —BAM! He wheels around and stalks forward and slings his index finger out toward a student, demands of him whether climate change is real?! and how certain is he?! and why?!—BOP! He points at another student, asks whether gender is a social construct, whether trans women are women?! He cites Socrates and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. He staggers and weaves: as a boxer dances, so Peter lectures. He is the professor you never had; he is a squall of raw intellect; he is Robin Williams in the Dead Poets Society, but ripped. He is putting a gun to the head of your most precious assumptions.

And then it is over. That, we have learned, is Street Epistemology. It is asking the hard questions of another, and not refuting them when you disagree, but continuing to ask “why?” and “how certain are you?” until the temple of their convictions crumbles, and you can help them build a newer, sounder one.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

if there's one thing centrists love it's half a solution

like how safe injection sites don't have any of the things like case workers and mh doctors and housing that'd make someone actually able to kick

Some of the local schools here realized it doesn't make sense to just criminalize kids with behavioural issues who really need social supports. So instead of providing any of those social supports they are just banning teachers from imposing any consequences for classroom behaviour ever, covering up violent incidents from parents and police, etc.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Writing code is basically posting in a forum with very strict rules and relentless moderation, if you think about it.

I will never think about that

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
glad I got my Ed degree and hosed off by the sounds of it.

still, if I had to give advice for anyone currently in education would be to do a couple years home country experience before looking for jobs abroad.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

ElehemEare posted:

Touching the computer used to be good but ever since ZIRP ended it’s just a revolving door of The-Worst-MBA-Guy-You’ve-Ever-Met coming to optimize your P&L so at this point I think my next job is probably slangin’ espresso shots. :shrug:

I took 1.5 years of computer science in university and I didn't get it. Recursion? Data structures and algorithms? My brain is not equipped for the cyber economy.

I know a few computer touchers and they seem wealthy and satisfied, in a way I've literally never experienced from work. Will the rug be pulled out from under them soon?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Karach posted:

Street Epistemology feels like if I hired Nathan Fielder to zhuzh up my philosophy department

Street Epistemology is a concept from notable piece of poo poo Peter Boghossian. Buddy of other garbage people, Michael Shermer and Stefan Molyneux.

It's an unfortunate result of the cringe-worthy but thankfully brief peak of the New Atheism movement.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fidelitious posted:

Street Epistemology is a concept from notable piece of poo poo Peter Boghossian. Buddy of other garbage people, Michael Shermer and Stefan Molyneux.

It's an unfortunate result of the cringe-worthy but thankfully brief peak of the New Atheism movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMNkNLTHDc

Street Epistemology in action. :psyduck:

Claim, by calm Hitler (CH): Men have dominion over women.
Question from Street Epistemologist (SE): Why?
CH: The bible.
SE: Ok.
CH: Yeah.
SE: Is there anything that would change your mind?
CH: Mmmmm.... a different part of the Bible.
SE: What if you weren't a Christian, would you still consider your claim to be true?
CH: Oh yeah, I'm an American. In America the founding fathers excluded women. Ipso facto, I get to boss them around.
SE: What if you lived in the year 1500?
CH: I'd be Catholic.
SE: Suppose you weren't.
CH: The most successful societies practice trad gender roles, regardless of religion.
SE: What if I told you about a society that didn't practice trad gender roles but was still successful?
CH: I'd be interested in that.
SE: Are you married?
CH: I'm definitely exploring that avenue.

It's like doing philosophy, without all the annoying reading and thinking.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Karach posted:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Karach posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMNkNLTHDc

Street Epistemology in action. :psyduck:

Claim, by calm Hitler (CH): Men have dominion over women.
Question from Street Epistemologist (SE): Why?
CH: The bible.
SE: Ok.
CH: Yeah.
SE: Is there anything that would change your mind?
CH: Mmmmm.... a different part of the Bible.
SE: What if you weren't a Christian, would you still consider your claim to be true?
CH: Oh yeah, I'm an American. In America the founding fathers excluded women. Ipso facto, I get to boss them around.
SE: What if you lived in the year 1500?
CH: I'd be Catholic.
SE: Suppose you weren't.
CH: The most successful societies practice trad gender roles, regardless of religion.
SE: What if I told you about a society that didn't practice trad gender roles but was still successful?
CH: I'd be interested in that.

It's like doing philosophy, without all the annoying reading and thinking.

I used to teach children, this reads like a conversation with a child. This is barely above just asking "why?" to everything someone says.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I don't think I saw this get posted, but lol, our boy is hard at work. He's really at the height of his powers here.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/stephen-harper-israels-war-is-just-hamas-must-surrender-or-be-eliminated

quote:

Stephen Harper: Israel's war is just, Hamas must surrender or be eliminated
It is foolish to think a two-state solution will emerge while so many Palestinians still reject the existence of a Jewish state

Author of the article: Former Prime Minister Stephen J. Harper, Special to National Post

A new world of peace and harmony was just around the corner!! If it weren't for that meddling democratically elected government of Gaza...

quote:

Before Oct. 7, we were on the cusp of a new Middle East. It was being created by a new generation of Arab leaders. Determined to be world-leading societies, they were setting aside the religious hatreds of the past and putting the Abraham Accords in their place. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia itself was deepening its relationship with Israel while continuing an ambitious modernization agenda that remains sadly underappreciated in the West.

Yet, even with these developments, some in western capitals chose to continue seeking reconciliation with an Iranian regime whose vision could not be more different. And so, we turned a blind eye to Tehran’s continued preaching of medieval jihad and its ongoing construction of a theocratic empire. We watched as it slowly took over Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, and, of course, Gaza. We ignored advice from both Arab and Israeli allies to counter these threats, and even criticized actions designed to do so.

In this context, the West’s support for Israel’s war effort goes beyond moral obligations. It is but a small step in responding to a much larger challenge coming at us. I am not talking just about reoccurrences of 9-11-style terrorism. Nor am I referring only to the growing attacks on key international shipping lanes, as alarming as they are. I mean the real, potentially global, threat of a powerful regional state that mixes an aggressive and malevolent ideology with the pursuit of nuclear weapons capability. I am hoping that we understand this bigger picture before it is too late.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Virtual Russian posted:

I used to teach children, this reads like a conversation with a child. This is barely above just asking "why?" to everything someone says.

I also like how it offloads what should be the Socratic role of the person guiding the conversation (i.e. gently inviting the person to consider the logical implications of their beliefs) back onto the person whose beliefs are under scrutiny. "Hey, what would you consider a counterargument to your position?"

It's like an app-based version of debate: choose a counterargument that works for you, on your own schedule, and if you don't like it, simply cancel your subscription any time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
mentally inserted a ", like" and was confused

"Israel's war is just, like, Hamas must surrender or be eliminated"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Karach posted:

I also like how it offloads what should be the Socratic role of the person guiding the conversation (i.e. gently inviting the person to consider the logical implications of their beliefs) back onto the person whose beliefs are under scrutiny. "Hey, what would you consider a counterargument to your position?"

It's like an app-based version of debate: choose a counterargument that works for you, on your own schedule, and if you don't like it, simply cancel your subscription any time.

"i don't think women should be allowed to vote"
"are you sure?"
"yeah"
"okay, checks out, your belief is valid"

it's like the socratic method if socrates had come up with it after being kicked in the head by a horse

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Karach posted:

I don't think I saw this get posted, but lol, our boy is hard at work. He's really at the height of his powers here.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/stephen-harper-israels-war-is-just-hamas-must-surrender-or-be-eliminated

A new world of peace and harmony was just around the corner!! If it weren't for that meddling democratically elected government of Gaza...

Post media comments section continues to be the moral trash of Canada

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

pokeyman posted:

mentally inserted a ", like" and was confused

"Israel's war is just, like, Hamas must surrender or be eliminated"

that's because the idea of Harper talking about something being 'just' reads like a sick joke, so your mind went looking for any other possibility

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

apatheticman posted:

Post media comments section continues to be the moral trash of Canada

if you squint it's basically cspam actually

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Fentanyl from China" actually sounds like karmic payback for the Opium Wars

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Karach posted:

if you squint it's basically cspam actually

I was thinking the other 99% of comments that were basically "we must destroy the brown people"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

weren't they just saying the other day there was no bias in the treatment of the convoyers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

apatheticman posted:

I was thinking the other 99% of comments that were basically "we must destroy the brown people"

oh yeah those are bad