Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Only time Ive been annoyed at TKs was when the guy had 12 of em a round

I had a round a few nights ago where I joined a rando. Dropped in, called in my RR, accidentally called in a eagle strike. (TK 1). Reinforced him and pushed forward, Eagle cluster gets him when he rushed in while I held back (TK 2). A minute later, swung the barrel at some bots and utterly vaporized his face with the Breaker (TK 3). And finally, blow us both up with an incredibly poor grenade (TK 4/5).

This all happened in probably 2 minutes of game time. None of it on purpose, but yeah, I got it when I was court martialed shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

bought the jetpack last night and it seems kinda underwhelming. The jet jump itself is fine, tho not too exciting, but the cooldown feels like it takes forever

that said, i think it will be fun to use on the sprawling kind of missions where i like to break off from the group to grab secondary objectives/destroy isolated outposts by mylself. def would not recommend bringing it on any kind of defensive mission

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Phenotype posted:

so I was thinkin about yknow, the lore as shown by the environment and enemies and stuff... The automatons are probably not just killbots, huh? It strikes me as significant that their big hitters tend to be the same T-600 skeletons as their ground troops, just stuffed into a suit of armor or riding the back of an AT-ST.

I mean, they're robots, right? They could just make an AT-ST with a robot brain inside if they wanted, with no unarmored dink on the back to get shot. And since they don't, there's likely some sort of civilization there, right? Like, they're not just "robots", it's a race of people who look like T-600s, and they're just reproducing more of themselves and building tanks and armor for themselves to use, rather than building different, more powerful robots.

And if it's a true civilization with real intelligence and culture, it's even more of a threat to Super Earth, and every last trace of them must be extinguished.

From my understanding, the bots are a last ditch doomsday weapon, a self replicating machine plague released by the Cyborgs when Super Earth won the first round of galactic wars in Helldivers 1. It went off into the dark and replicated the poo poo out of itself and now it's back. Presumably, the machines are working off the tech and knowledge base of the Cyborgs, including the Cyborgs idea of what a military looks like.

The Cyborgs themselves appear to have been, uh, liberated.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

bought the jetpack last night and it seems kinda underwhelming. The jet jump itself is fine, tho not too exciting, but the cooldown feels like it takes forever

that said, i think it will be fun to use on the sprawling kind of missions where i like to break off from the group to grab secondary objectives/destroy isolated outposts by mylself. def would not recommend bringing it on any kind of defensive mission

The key to jetpack use is that it's a ~3 second invincibility timer - you get totally out of melee and most ranged attacks will miss hard. You can hit it to let a stim tick, you can hit it and reload your weapon midair, all of that in addition to being able to jump onto inaccessible terrain or jump off cliffs safely.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, Super Store rotated this morning and has the Light armor suit with the Extra Grenades modifier on it for 250. Picked that up right away. Also has a rather cool-looking suit that has 125 armor and only-slightly reduced speed and stamina, with 50% reduced explosion damage. I know they've got their hands full with the servers at the moment but I can't wait for them to fix the stats on armor, I'd like to see if the heavier ones are worth the trade-off in speed. I'm a huge nerd for spending way too much time fiddling with stats and items and stuff.

(also also the Light grenades suit is such a weird color scheme, I'm so glad I grabbed the black Stormtrooper looking helmet last week. They're usually pretty good about sticking to a couple different color schemes so you have a choice of matching helmets and capes, but a couple of the pieces are so unique that you're stuck wearing the suit's official helmet.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Sometimes with the eyes of sauron they can be bugged and not have a suitable "landing" spot for the hellbomb near them so the strat just rolls around until it bounces super far away.

I found theres a spot a little down the path from the tower near the closest bunker that still lets the hellbomb land and is close enough to destroy the tower.

Its pretty annoying

Ok good to know, I was in that match and it was really weird seeing the stratagem bounce around never turning into the beacon 3 times in a row so we just left it while the tower summoned endless dropships on us at extraction

Does the eagle 500kg bomb work instead? or anything else faster than the hellbomb?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There was some pants making GBS threads on my part when I hucked an orbital strike beacon at one point and noticed a glowing red dot on the back of one of the larger acid spitter bugs that was charging straight at the group. That blast killed everything alive in that wave, which included most of the team.

Also since I'm a bit of a weirdo I search out the lore bits to read. Haven't read much on the bots because I loving hate those missions but the bugs are apparently at least semi-sentient, and were being kept in factory breeding farms for Super Earth as they somehow produce a compound used in faster-than-light travel until they finally managed what could loosely be translated as a slave rebellion, possibly aided by political actors within Super Earth for personal goals. So with a perfect satirical note we're spreading ballistic democracy to the galaxy to secure space-oil that is then used in tremendous quantities on our own ships to jump around the place faster-than-light all the time. I do also really appreciate the frequent portrayals of helldivers as walking bullets being pulled out of frozen storage then fired at the enemy.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The Cyborgs themselves appear to have been, uh, liberated.

100 years of 'rehabilitation' in the mines on the planet Cyberstan, according to your shipmaster. So, enslaved.

Yes, they really called a planet that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rectal Death Alert posted:

It has been a long time since I played any online matchmaking games and I had forgotten how pissy some people can be.

Running bug helldive missions with a team of pubbies, one of them sprints in front of my shotgun directly at 4 stalkers for some reason. No big deal right? Wrong. Dude spent the entire 30 minutes left in the mission complaining about dying that one time. Also lost his mind that the lower level guy had grabbed his spear and fired a round out of it (that hit a bile titan.) Demanded he drop it and yelled at him until he figured out how to.

Just ran around mumbling about not having all of his spear ammo and how the team can't see where they shoot. Over and over.

Even dramatically announced he was headed off alone and nobody was allowed to follow him because he didn't want to be teamkilled anymore, after dying one time.

After adjusting his fedora, sheathing his katana and walking into the sunset as a true ronin he died 2 minutes later across the map pissed off he was so far away from his corpse. Then again. And again. And again.

You get 20+ reinforcements and half of the weapons are giant explosions so I don't see how you can get that mad about dying but it is pretty entertaining playing with hundreds of random people.

This is why the instant someone acts weird you just mute and forget. See;

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

This game has the best community of any game I’ve played in quite some time.

First game I got in was with a dude making rape jokes, so not a fantastic first impression of the community. Most other games nobody's said a word.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Icedude posted:

Yeah, sometimes you just end up with the effects of a broken body part despite being fully healed. I've had it happen most with my legs, and let me tell you not being allowed to run at all until you manage to take enough damage to be able to stim youself ain't fun.

I think almost anything that ragdolls you also fixes that issue, so the fastest method if you have teammates is to get them to melee you.

Also, good tip

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Wow last night I got in instantly, and then matchmaking proceeded to work flawlessly, played for like 2 hours with full teams with no issues, things are looking up for super earth!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I saw someone mention the current bug is that light armor is inheriting the heavy armor rating? So it may just be that light armor is very good at the moment and will become weaker and heavy armor is actually how its supposed to be

Which would be unsatisfying tbh but fine i guess. It would be very funny if we are all tougher than the game balance expected us to be.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ZeusCannon posted:

I saw someone mention the current bug is that light armor is inheriting the heavy armor rating? So it may just be that light armor is very good at the moment and will become weaker and heavy armor is actually how its supposed to be

Which would be unsatisfying tbh but fine i guess. It would be very funny if we are all tougher than the game balance expected us to be.

Pretty sure it's just that all armor has the same value not necessarily that it's as strong as heavy armor. So wearing light armor still benefits you because you can run around faster but not die any quicker than anyone else wearing any other armor.

Edit: That could be wrong though. Either way there's a bug that will make light armor less viable eventually whenever it gets fixed.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Also a few days ago we were getting ready to extract from a bot mission, I decided to throw a minefield on the choke point by the side of the landing zone, as I did it a big bot turned around the corner, my stratagem got stuck into it and walked right into the LZ!

Fortunately the whole team scrambled, and as I was running away I saw the kill count go up to like 28, and even got a trophy for it.....so I guess a whole bot battalion walked into my ill-placed minefield?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Something about turrets in this game that just makes me happy. Thematically it's perfect that they just don't give a gently caress what's between them and their target and will happily tear any helldiver apart to kill things for Democracy.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Owl Inspector posted:

Ok good to know, I was in that match and it was really weird seeing the stratagem bounce around never turning into the beacon 3 times in a row so we just left it while the tower summoned endless dropships on us at extraction

Does the eagle 500kg bomb work instead? or anything else faster than the hellbomb?

Recoilless Rifle works, you need a clear shot on the center eye though. Might take a few as well.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

explosivo posted:

Pretty sure it's just that all armor has the same value not necessarily that it's as strong as heavy armor. So wearing light armor still benefits you because you can run around faster but not die any quicker than anyone else wearing any other armor.

Edit: That could be wrong though. Either way there's a bug that will make light armor less viable eventually whenever it gets fixed.

Do we actually know that the "armour value doesn't work" thing means that all armour counts as a rating of 100 like medium armour?

Or could it mean "all armour has a value of 0"?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Got glitched and couldn’t get walk during extraction so I had to dive my way to the pelican

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Icedude posted:

Do we actually know that the "armour value doesn't work" thing means that all armour counts as a rating of 100 like medium armour?

Or could it mean "all armour has a value of 0"?

I feel like I die at a reasonable rate when I mess up so it's probably not 0

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Got glitched and couldn’t get walk during extraction so I had to dive my way to the pelican

You weren't doing this already

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Martout posted:

I feel like I die at a reasonable rate when I mess up so it's probably not 0

My money says its prob all 100

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

raverrn posted:

The key to jetpack use is that it's a ~3 second invincibility timer - you get totally out of melee and most ranged attacks will miss hard. You can hit it to let a stim tick, you can hit it and reload your weapon midair, all of that in addition to being able to jump onto inaccessible terrain or jump off cliffs safely.

They really need to let you use it midair, though. It feels really bad that you can't.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I hope kojima plays this and wants to put orbital strikes into death stranding 2.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

that's a new one

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

LazyMaybe posted:

that's a new one

Ive gotten this too! I have no idea why

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Icedude posted:

I just keep forgetting mine because it doesn't automatically pop open when I finish picking stratagems :shobon:

:same:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

They really need to let you use it midair, though. It feels really bad that you can't.

They should let you Jetpack while ragdolling but instead of straight up it launches you in whatever direction your torso is pointing when you activate it

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
absolutely. If I can't jetpack straight into the side of a building, killing myself, what's even the point?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Gave the Laser Cannon a try and it seems pretty bad aside from not needing ammo

I'd like it a lot more if it didn't have the spool up time.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kitfox88 posted:

I'd like it a lot more if it didn't have the spool up time.

If it spools up it should do hella damage, but currently it tickles things so

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Phenotype posted:

so I was thinkin about yknow, the lore as shown by the environment and enemies and stuff... The automatons are probably not just killbots, huh? It strikes me as significant that their big hitters tend to be the same T-600 skeletons as their ground troops, just stuffed into a suit of armor or riding the back of an AT-ST.

I mean, they're robots, right? They could just make an AT-ST with a robot brain inside if they wanted, with no unarmored dink on the back to get shot. And since they don't, there's likely some sort of civilization there, right? Like, they're not just "robots", it's a race of people who look like T-600s, and they're just reproducing more of themselves and building tanks and armor for themselves to use, rather than building different, more powerful robots.

And if it's a true civilization with real intelligence and culture, it's even more of a threat to Super Earth, and every last trace of them must be extinguished.

I like that the bugs are literally ground up as fuel for your ships.

Risky Bisquick posted:

If it spools up it should do hella damage, but currently it tickles things so

Exactly, that poo poo should be lighting bugs on fire and melting metal into slag, but instead it just makes a cool noise.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
it's such a great, peaceful feeling standing on your bridge and watching the other destroyers rain death. And occasionally blow up as something on the surface shoots back.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

No idea who or what the Scorcher is for. The game seems to put a ton of worth into the 'explosive' tag and the gun's tiny, tiny AoE. The only upside I can find is that you can kill striders from the front - but it takes 2-3 shots to manage it. You're basically never going to hit more than one enemy with it, and it's weak enough that you might not one-shot-kill hunters and basic automatons. It might be pretty good against spewers, but you can't see the enemy compliment before you drop. Just ??? all around.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Got the achievement for killing my first giant bug by spearing it from orbit with my respawn pod, felt fully loving awesome

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

raverrn posted:

No idea who or what the Scorcher is for. The game seems to put a ton of worth into the 'explosive' tag and the gun's tiny, tiny AoE. The only upside I can find is that you can kill striders from the front - but it takes 2-3 shots to manage it. You're basically never going to hit more than one enemy with it, and it's weak enough that you might not one-shot-kill hunters and basic automatons. It might be pretty good against spewers, but you can't see the enemy compliment before you drop. Just ??? all around.

The capacity is very low and it has the major downside that the explosion can kill yourself, so never use it against bugs, can be useful against bots though since they are easier to kill usually.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

selec posted:

Got the achievement for killing my first giant bug by spearing it from orbit with my respawn pod, felt fully loving awesome

This is the way :hellyeah:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The strongest weapon in the game is a fresh new helldiver

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

explosivo posted:

Right, but what they're suggesting is the fix won't make it so heavy survives more punishment, it's that medium and light will go down easier when armor works properly.
That would be hilarious. Like no, you need to move slow as poo poo if you don't want single bug swipes to kill you.

raverrn posted:

Yeah, explosive, DoTs, and high/infinite ammo seem very overvalued right now. Especially since the explosive tag just bumps weapons to "If you hit a weakspot you do full damage instead of the 10% standard weapons do against weakspots"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Phenotype posted:

Hey, Super Store rotated this morning and has the Light armor suit with the Extra Grenades modifier on it for 250. Picked that up right away. Also has a rather cool-looking suit that has 125 armor and only-slightly reduced speed and stamina, with 50% reduced explosion damage. I know they've got their hands full with the servers at the moment but I can't wait for them to fix the stats on armor, I'd like to see if the heavier ones are worth the trade-off in speed. I'm a huge nerd for spending way too much time fiddling with stats and items and stuff.

(also also the Light grenades suit is such a weird color scheme, I'm so glad I grabbed the black Stormtrooper looking helmet last week. They're usually pretty good about sticking to a couple different color schemes so you have a choice of matching helmets and capes, but a couple of the pieces are so unique that you're stuck wearing the suit's official helmet.)

That grenade armor is a trap, there's better looking +grenade armor on page 3 of the normal warbonds for like 15 medals. Do not waste your super credits on that +grenade armor there unless you really like the look of it.

e: I also fell for the trap before I found the other armor in the war bonds, which I bought because it looks better.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I wish that the armors had their appearance separate from perks because there's some good looking armor with middling perks; you end up with WoW Burning Cursade style appearances of mismatched colors and styles.

jokes posted:

The strongest weapon in the game is a fresh new helldiver

300mm cannon? Nah man. 1000mm.