Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Right, natural disasters are one of the key reasons you develop and test disaster recovery plans. I think we're talking past each other, I'm not upset or anything they shut down the servers, just surprised that a large company releasing a major product didn't plan for that. If a major earthquake hits San Francisco it would be the last thing that matters, but YouTube and Netflix will probably keep on chugging.

When planning for DR, there's a certain risk appetite that gets decided on by the company. Things start getting really expensive the more you chase redundancy. You can overbuild the poo poo out of anything if you have the money to pay for it. Business folks are notoriously hesitant to increase costs.

We overbuild our environment by 400%. We can lose 75% of our infrastructure with minimal impact to the business, and believe it or not we stress test it weekly and do full failovers monthly, any deficiencies noticed are remediated as soon as possible. It's expensive, but we don't have much of a choice as a financial institution.

My last org made the business decision to only make certain systems redundant due to cost. The business accepted the risk of certain other data and systems being unavailable in certain situations.

Currently we're adding a datacenter location outside of Texas because after the winter storm a couple years ago we can't trust the Texas power grid. Our backup generators worked, never ran out of fuel, but the business has decided the additional costs is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LochNessMonster posted:

The joy that is Scaled Agile Framework (enterprise)?

That looks like a photocopier touchscreen from 2005

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i want to die

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Obligatory

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

:five:

After just finishing a week of planning for SAFE, that certainly captures the spirit of things!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

i want to die

Can I suggest death by value stream mapping based on customer centric design thinking, resulting in rapid prototyping to enable enterprise solution delivery in line with the portfolio vision?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just had my SAFE 6.0 refresher last week. Can't get away from this stuff.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i've been practicing vomiting on command for when some sicko comes by and suggests i learn that bullshit /s

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

LochNessMonster posted:

The joy that is Scaled Agile Framework (enterprise)?

Tag yourself, I'm Epic Owners

Aside from being almost totally indecipherable to my ADHD rear end I remember there being considerable meetings when I was in a lead role at the RMA center specifically about the Kanban board.

It was useless and basically shown as a glorified indicator if we met KPIs that day or not and people wrote poo poo on it all the time when management wasn't looking. It struck me as being not well suited for the environment.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Susat posted:

Tag yourself, I'm Epic Owners

Aside from being almost totally indecipherable to my ADHD rear end I remember there being considerable meetings when I was in a lead role at the RMA center specifically about the Kanban board.

It was useless and basically shown as a glorified indicator if we met KPIs that day or not and people wrote poo poo on it all the time when management wasn't looking. It struck me as being not well suited for the environment.

I wonder how many hours and how much money is spent to make these utterly loving useless "diagrams". Agile scales fine without introducing whatever horror show this is. Just hook your teams together and line up their cadences if you're making something big...

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

i've been practicing vomiting on command for when some sicko comes by and suggests i learn that bullshit /s

My trick in school was to do a bunch of forced burps really quickly in a row, but I guess it depends on your gag reflex.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
"Measure & Grow"?
More like "Manure & Grow". Because it's loving bullshit.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I don’t have to go to PI planning in any capacity unless my speciality is needed to speak to a story, it rules.

I send every email from our agile coach to the trash with an outlook rule, I’m not joining your lunch and learn

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Agile is the most useless poo poo I’ve ever seen. It’s like someone took Six Sigma and said HEY IT COULD USE THIS

Just dumb as gently caress and I loathe anyone who suggests it seriously

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

As far as I can tell it's a laser toy for managers to distract themselves with so everyone else can actually get poo poo done without having to babysit

For more you can read my management book, out now at all retailers, Jangling Keys Project Management

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know about the proper noun Agile, but when I've gotten other people I work closely with together and decided to actually do some semblance of project management that looks like agile, it has often worked out really well. I like Kanban and I like self-managing projects as a group.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kanban is super useful. It helps you organize what you're working, lets the useful people get status updates without bugging you, and moving stuff to done is a dopamine hit for you and the scrum master. It also makes writing up your self review at the end of the year a lot easier.

Speaking of self-review, I have a huge chunk of mine in draft form already. I discovered a bug in a validated system that could cause a breach of Data Integrity in Manufacturing. It's a hole in the Swiss cheese that could lead to a batch of drugs being recalled. And I know exactly how to fix it and how to get it rolled out globally. So I spun up a Feature and a buddy and I are making a bunch of user stories to track exactly how awesome we're being and how much of a global impact we (will have) had this year.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
The Phoenix Project was a pretty interesting read for someone who knows nothing about devops.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I'm agile on the report button

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I had to do my own self review this year because my manager was not present most of the year and the person who was actually my manager didn't know he was my manager most of the year. I also now have a new manager that can't do my review because he just joined the company through acquisition

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Wait do people really get writing assignments at the end of the year lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I'm agile on the report button

I can neither confirm nor deny this statement.

johnny park posted:

Yes. It's not fun.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

johnny park posted:

I don't know which is worse - writing mine, or pushing my folks to write theirs and then having to read them. I beg you, hr, just let me say that they did a good job and be done with it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

johnny park posted:

At currentcompany they tie it to 2% of your raise.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In my sample size of 1 with SAFe it's a great way for leadership that doesn't have a clue what they're doing to hide that. It's all so deliberately confusing and creates so many layers of obfuscation that 50-75% of the org will have no idea what's going on, and just assume that even though they don't see the genius of the system, it must be there, and follow on blind faith. SAFe also takes components from just about every work tracking/planning scheme so you might see a few successful elements from other systems in SAFe, but they'll have been bastardized into meaninglessness.

I'm sure it's possible to do SAFe in some way that resembles SAFe and be successful with it, but that requires the kind of leadership that would know that SAFe is nonsense from the start.

So loving happy I'm out of there and don't have to do SAFe anymore. I think I've got some legit trauma from one too many Pi planning sessions.

At the new job we (DevOps) just do a lose Kanban for ourselves and do some retrospectives and a few other rituals on the same cadence as the Devs just because why not. We actually looked at a Dev board in Jira during some planning and saw all the story points (we don't size our tickets) and had like a minor panic attack.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

johnny park posted:

I have to do a year-end and a mid-year

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't know about the proper noun Agile, but when I've gotten other people I work closely with together and decided to actually do some semblance of project management that looks like agile, it has often worked out really well. I like Kanban and I like self-managing projects as a group.

“Hmm… A-gee-lay. Must be Italian.”

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Defenestrategy posted:

At currentcompany they tie it to 2% of your raise.

There's one advantage to being owned by private equity - all of the raises are dog poo poo all the time and review scores have no impact. I just give everyone the best score I can sneak through and call it a day (while giving them meaningful feedback in the meeting about the review, so they're not getting totally screwed).
The balance for raises being 2.5% blanket across everyone in the company is that annual bonuses are phenomenal. I'm getting my first year tier 1 helpdesk people 3x the best bonus I ever received as a senior systems engineer at owner owned or public companies.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

we do the same thing in non profit land

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Agile can be fine as long as you are allowed to do it as intended.

SAFe has nothing to do with Agile as it takes away several of the main characteristics to do the exact opposite. I always describe it as “waterfall project management for companies who want to say they use Agile”.

You’re basically doing 3 months (1 PI cycle) waterfall projects where the goals for that period are set in stone by Portfolio Management (ideally together with stakeholders). This makes the PO obsolete, because if everyone’s already onboard (read: forced to commit) wtf is their role besides Jira administration and maybe switching 1-2 stories out.

By going this route you take away team autonomy and they’re not self steering anymore. SAFe introduces a few extra meetings (PI planning, Scrum of Scrums, etc) which go against the “people and interactions over processes and contracts” pillar of Agile.

The way PI plannings work is that you get 3 months of work you need to refine and interact with other teams in case of dependencies and timing requirements. From what I’ve seen this hardly ever refined to a level where it’s ready to be started immediately. The stories for the first sprint usually are but after that it’s hardly ever fully clear on what/how needs to be built. Commiting to work with a high level of uncertaintity means you’re grossly overestimating how much work it’ll take. If you don’t estimate for the worst case scenario prepare for crunch time because “you committed to this in the PI planning!!” Then when all teams are agreeing with whatever the gently caress has been decided by management and have moved 2-5% to the next PI everyone is asked if they commit to this. If you don’t you can tell the whole group of people, including your managers manager (and maybe their manager as well) why their plan sucks. They’ll throw up some BS that should mitigate your concerns and ask you if you’re ok to commit if that’s out of the way. Basically peer pressuring everyone to shut up or step into the spotlight. Doing this several PI’s in a row is likely going to be a Career Limiting Move, as you’re considered a naysayer, not a team player, negative nancy.

Ultimately teams realize it’s Sad Agile For Enterprises and stop giving a gently caress as they have close to 0 impact on it. The smart ones will either quit or do whatever they want and fake it under epics, features and stories that were approved by the release train.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

SAFe has nothing to do with Agile as it takes away several of the main characteristics to do the exact opposite. I always describe it as “waterfall project management for companies who want to say they use Agile”.

You’re basically doing 3 months (1 PI cycle) waterfall projects where the goals for that period are set in stone by Portfolio Management (ideally together with stakeholders). This makes the PO obsolete, because if everyone’s already onboard (read: forced to commit) wtf is their role besides Jira administration and maybe switching 1-2 stories out.

By going this route you take away team autonomy and they’re not self steering anymore. SAFe introduces a few extra meetings (PI planning, Scrum of Scrums, etc) which go against the “people and interactions over processes and contracts” pillar of Agile.

The way PI plannings work is that you get 3 months of work you need to refine and interact with other teams in case of dependencies and timing requirements. From what I’ve seen this hardly ever refined to a level where it’s ready to be started immediately. The stories for the first sprint usually are but after that it’s hardly ever fully clear on what/how needs to be built. Commiting to work with a high level of uncertaintity means you’re grossly overestimating how much work it’ll take. If you don’t estimate for the worst case scenario prepare for crunch time because “you committed to this in the PI planning!!” Then when all teams are agreeing with whatever the gently caress has been decided by management and have moved 2-5% to the next PI everyone is asked if they commit to this. If you don’t you can tell the whole group of people, including your managers manager (and maybe their manager as well) why their plan sucks. They’ll throw up some BS that should mitigate your concerns and ask you if you’re ok to commit if that’s out of the way. Basically peer pressuring everyone to shut up or step into the spotlight. Doing this several PI’s in a row is likely going to be a Career Limiting Move, as you’re considered a naysayer, not a team player, negative nancy.

Ultimately teams realize it’s Sad Agile For Enterprises and stop giving a gently caress as they have close to 0 impact on it. The smart ones will either quit or do whatever they want and fake it under epics, features and stories that were approved by the release train.

Lol you just described my SAFe workplace perfectly. It's so stupid.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Fool posted:

I have to do a year-end and a mid-year

I just write “I am king of gently caress mountain”

E: by pointing out all the times I’ve covered for our inept director without explicitly pointing that out

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I had to write a report listing at least three things I accomplished every month as a DoD contractor. Except I had months where the most I did was put in an Ethernet cable so I dreaded the last day of every month when they were due.

Though making sure I had 40 hours in servicenow every week sucked as well at the job before that. I’d spend 10% of my work week filling out my time card.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We got acquired by a new org last year. Probably mentioned it. They moved our checks to their payroll system. None of us in IT have had any medical, dental, etc deducted yet.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm getting flashbacks from reading this.

Also SAFe is structured to have feedback points on the process but they always point back to the team. Every PI planning during the "Problem Solving Workshop" for a number of the "problems" (which have already been filtered by leadership to only be problems they deem acceptable) the groups would come back with some form of "leadership has no idea what they want or what they're doing and it's causing us these actual identifiable problems" and eventually that feedback gets filtered through the Release Train Engineer and at the end of the PI you learn that the problem you actually identified is that your team doesn't write stories well enough and leadership doesn't have to change anything.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I'm learning that all I need to care about are Features and User Stories, everything else seems to just be noise.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just don’t give a gently caress about any of the agile bullshit and do my own thing. For the most part unless I’ll helping with the occasional story I literally do what I want, I’m pretty much left to my own devices by everyone, including my manager.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I can do the same, except I do tend to communicate my plans and how it's going to my colleagues. As long as I can justify my plans to my colleagues everything is fine.

Right now I am completely rebuilding the entire Linux side of the org from scratch from bare metal deployment to automation and monitoring. That side has had so many cooks who left no documentation that the only way forward is a complete clean room rebuild.

e: There are so many clear text passwords in the ansible repository that I'm ditching that one too. Impossible to sanitise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I rolled a 1 in agility.