Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Issaries posted:

More funny business:

2000 point game:
Bretonnian army (^1500 points) is allied with Bretonnian errantry knights (up to 500 points):
It can have 2 dukes (1 per each list) This is undisputed.

But how many Barons it can have?
2 (0-1 per 1000, so your main list can have 2, but errantry list is under 1000 points, so they can't have any)
4 (Both list can get 2, because it is a 2000 point game)
1 (Main list is under 2000 points, so only gets one, Errantry list is under 1000, so doesn't get any)

It is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Seems like some of the arcane journal detachments get really strong then, just by virtue of not having the per 1000 pt stipulation on their lord-tier characters. Play Royal Host and bring as many tomb kings as you can fit in the 50% budget.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

srypher posted:

Seems like some of the arcane journal detachments get really strong then, just by virtue of not having the per 1000 pt stipulation on their lord-tier characters. Play Royal Host and bring as many tomb kings as you can fit in the 50% budget.

Chaos lord, Daemon Prince and Bretonnian Dukes are tier above lords. They have 4 wounds / 5 Attacks and fixed 0-1 limit on them.
Lord level characters that have traditional 3 wounds / 4 Attacks are limited to 0-1 per 1000 (Exalted Champion and Bretonnian Baron)
Other army lists don't seem to have Lord+ tier characters.

I haven't read the Tomb King Journal, but Grand Army list has following composition restriction:
1+ Tomb King or Prince
0-1 Tomb Kings per 1000 points.

Does this mean:
You always can have 1 Tomb King and can get extra Tomb Kings per 1000 points.
You must take a Tomb Prince and can't get any Tomb Kings, if your army size is below 1000 points

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Issaries posted:

Chaos lord, Daemon Prince and Bretonnian Dukes are tier above lords. They have 4 wounds / 5 Attacks and fixed 0-1 limit on them.
Lord level characters that have traditional 3 wounds / 4 Attacks are limited to 0-1 per 1000 (Exalted Champion and Bretonnian Baron)
Other army lists don't seem to have Lord+ tier characters.

I haven't read the Tomb King Journal, but Grand Army list has following composition restriction:
1+ Tomb King or Prince
0-1 Tomb Kings per 1000 points.

Does this mean:
You always can have 1 Tomb King and can get extra Tomb Kings per 1000 points.
You must take a Tomb Prince and can't get any Tomb Kings, if your army size is below 1000 points

The way it’s being interpreted in my area is that it’s the latter, you can’t use Tomb Kings or High Priests at less than 1000 points (in Grand Army detachment). If you play Royal Hosts it’s 1+ Tomb King regardless of points, and for Mort Cult it’s 1+ High Priests. So with either of the arcane journal detachments, you can bring as many High Priests/Tomb Kings as your character budget allows

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

srypher posted:

The way it’s being interpreted in my area is that it’s the latter, you can’t use Tomb Kings or High Priests at less than 1000 points (in Grand Army detachment). If you play Royal Hosts it’s 1+ Tomb King regardless of points, and for Mort Cult it’s 1+ High Priests. So with either of the arcane journal detachments, you can bring as many High Priests/Tomb Kings as your character budget allows

This. It's an updated wording on how it worked on 6th ed, where you always required to take a noble (King or Prince) as general and a priest (regular or high) as hierophant. If you wanted to play with less than 2k points, then it mean you were always forced to take a prince as kings were not available per commander restrictions.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Robviously posted:

saying you can't take 2 in a 2000pt game if your list is 1997 pts feels a little too bullshit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Robviously posted:

I feel like it's obviously supposed to be 0-1 for each 1k but I don't think it's explicit because saying you can't take 2 in a 2000pt game if your list is 1997 pts feels a little too bullshit.

It’s not how many points your list is, but the point limit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah if you're playing a 2000 point match, then you can bring two, even if your points only add up to 1994 points or whatever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah, if you have 2000 points to spend it's a 2000 point game.

When people say a 1999 point game, they specifically mean to restrict 0-1/1000 choices down to one. I'm not sure that needs to happen, but warhammer players cannot be separated from house rules and restrictions.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
empire and orcs & goblins can bring as many level 4 wizards as they can afford. wood elves can take both a treemen ancient and a spell weaver per 1000 points, which means they can spend all of their character points on three level 4 wizards and one level 3 wizard per 2K.

hail satan

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

i feel like if you bring two liche priests and the higher level one is your army's hierophant and it dies you ought to get to switch to the lower level one before your army just falls apart
let the little guy give it a shot maybe

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s not how many points your list is, but the point limit.

I understand that but let's not pretend the cohort who enjoys our tiny plastic men won't have insufferable pedants.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

let the little guy give it a shot maybe
That still happens in the game when the unit rolls a leadership test before crumbling and you can roll against your tomb king general's leadership if in range.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i saw a picture of galrauch and it reminded me how everyone was mad about how bad that model sucked when it came out

they were right

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

empire and orcs & goblins can bring as many level 4 wizards as they can afford. wood elves can take both a treemen ancient and a spell weaver per 1000 points, which means they can spend all of their character points on three level 4 wizards and one level 3 wizard per 2K.

hail satan

Pretty sure this is not true.

Fake Edit: It’s true, I forgot about Goblin Wizards. Level 4 Orc Wizards are restricted but Goblins are not.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Weedy runts.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I got roped into WHFB in 3rd grade bc the GW my aunt got my lotr starter from gave me a free White Dearf. It was the TK release issue, and also had a 2000pts of goblins vs 1000pts of high elves last stand scenario battle report.

So those ended up being my armies when I lived with family and had a job but no expenses, like 16-19.

Somebody convince me if I should continue tk or do all night gobbos or high elves for my actual army, once I’m done painting my tk starter

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I got roped into WHFB in 3rd grade bc the GW my aunt got my lotr starter from gave me a free White Dearf. It was the TK release issue, and also had a 2000pts of goblins vs 1000pts of high elves last stand scenario battle report.

So those ended up being my armies when I lived with family and had a job but no expenses, like 16-19.

Somebody convince me if I should continue tk or do all night gobbos or high elves for my actual army, once I’m done painting my tk starter

Good things with night gobbos is that they were one of few armies that were left pretty much untouched design-wise with Age of Sigmar. They just got new kits that are, IMHO, some of the better ones of GWs AoS designs.

Also, Orcs and Goblins are, you know, the best, so that's also a reason for going night goblins.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Night Goblins have some shockingly good plastic options from AoS, yeah. They seem to almost perfectly gel to fill what would have been metal units in WFB.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've said before, but the O&G list has been expanded slightly to include at least one of the new Night Goblins kits. (Armored squig knights)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

moths posted:

I've said before, but the O&G list has been expanded slightly to include at least one of the new Night Goblins kits. (Armored squig knights)

The armored squig knights rule. Also, the snotling blood bowl box is a nice source for getting two pump wagons and enough snotlings to populate a few bases.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
huh. dispelling remains-in-play spells on subsequent turns requires the dispeller to measure range to the caster, not the effect.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yep, it means you can drop vortexes and then run away and there’s gently caress all your opponent can do about it is

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Without that provision Remains In Play would be pretty close to strictly worse than “Until the start of your next turn”.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I love the goofy head-the-size-of-the-torso aesthetic of the old skeletons but I do not love these mold lines. 40 something skeletons assembled, 60 something skeletons and a dragon to go 😭

I ordered some TK-likes from Highland Miniatures - excited to see how dealing with printer resin compares to dealing with 20 year old plastic molds

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

All of the base skeleton parts are from the second ever "modern" multipart plastic troop kit GW released in 1998 (the first was Soldiers of The Empire), so they're more like 27 year old molds :v:

fun fact: the original GW plastic skeletons were the very first multipart plastic troop kit they made

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Third. The first multipart Chaos Warriors that were used as Halberdiers and Knights were originally released in December 1997. Soldiers in July 1998 and the Skeletons in October.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Otoh they knocked some of those early ones out of the park; the '98 Empire Soldiers remain my favorite kit ever to this day. Much of this is nostalgia but it was genuinely really good, especially for its time. Super excited to paint a few of those guys up again.

(Also do not get me started on its later replacement that had no puffy sleeves, absolute travesty)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guildencrantz posted:

Otoh they knocked some of those early ones out of the park; the '98 Empire Soldiers remain my favorite kit ever to this day. Much of this is nostalgia but it was genuinely really good, especially for its time. Super excited to paint a few of those guys up again.

(Also do not get me started on its later replacement that had no puffy sleeves, absolute travesty)

The current (7th I think?) state troops don’t do it for me. These guys were my faves

I love the chonk skeletons but my issue is they don’t match up with the rest of the tk who are mostly much newer.

E: speaking of puffy shirts, DoW are all but confirmed as a dlc for Total Warhammer via data leaks, so add them to Cathay and Kislev in the possible future release list if you feel as optimistic as I do

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 13, 2024

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I really want Araby in Total Warhammer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I could see it if they made it just a bit less on-the-nose "Arabs, mysticism, piracy and greed" and a bit more fantasy-ish? Like how lizardmen are the exotic amazonian culture and we're going to politely forget about the Amazonians. If it's just mustachioed men in black on camels, I think it's likely the current GW crew prefer to leave orientalist stereotypes in the past.

I personally started getting into the lore of fantasy only around 8th edition so I never saw an Araby supplement - this is my very surface level impression based on a little googling, if they actually did it really sensitively and well that'd be cool. But uh, this is the company that had literal pygmy miniatures, so I'm dubious that it was all completely fine, actually.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Leperflesh posted:

I could see it if they made it just a bit less on-the-nose "Arabs, mysticism, piracy and greed" and a bit more fantasy-ish? Like how lizardmen are the exotic amazonian culture and we're going to politely forget about the Amazonians. If it's just mustachioed men in black on camels, I think it's likely the current GW crew prefer to leave orientalist stereotypes in the past.

I personally started getting into the lore of fantasy only around 8th edition so I never saw an Araby supplement - this is my very surface level impression based on a little googling, if they actually did it really sensitively and well that'd be cool. But uh, this is the company that had literal pygmy miniatures, so I'm dubious that it was all completely fine, actually.

Araby had a complete army range in Warmaster and it was exactly that, very arabian nights aesthethics, and a lot of models resembled Jaffar from Disney's Aladdin. Good minis for the time, but I really understand that people can find them off-putting for the typical orientalist direction.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yeah, not really interested in just recreating the Warmaster army, but something like they did with Cathay I think might be okay.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
These skeleton horses are an utter shite to put together. Nothing fits the other side!

Edit: maybe when I get the riders on it will hide the worst of it.

Gambrinus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 13, 2024

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Gambrinus posted:

These skeleton horses are an utter shite to put together. Nothing fits the other side!

Edit: maybe when I get the riders on it will hide the worst of it.

Yeah I just gave up trying to make it look right, it'll just look like a bunch of bones when painted regardless.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
I’m about to have roughly 100 TK Skeleton Warriors with spears and shields - how the heck should I break them up? Is it best to do a few big blocks, several smaller ones, or a mix?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I feel like you could avoid orientalism in the Araby (and Cathy) armies by drawing extensively from Ayyubid and Ottoman historical designs as the basis of the army, and then incorporating local folklore and mythology elements. Maybe add some complexity to their lore by implying or stating that Sigmar headed there after his disappearance.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

I’m about to have roughly 100 TK Skeleton Warriors with spears and shields - how the heck should I break them up? Is it best to do a few big blocks, several smaller ones, or a mix?
Basic skeletons are trash so take them in big blocks of 20+ so they can survive long enough to act as anvils. They're 6 points even with light armor, shields, and spears so you can load up on them. Give yourself some extra leeway on ranks because they're going to die. That said, one unit per 1000 points can take the Nehekharan Phalanx special rule which makes it so they don't even have to give ground when they lose combat. It's 10 points per unit so just take it. They can completely lock down an enemy unit and let the rest of your army reposition around them. They're also easy to keep topped up if you have a couple liche priests in your list.

Additionally, for what it's worth, skeleton warriors (and tomb guard) can act as regimental units for detachments of archers. Stand and shoot results count towards combat resolution so it might be enough to tip that first round in your favor. They can't volley fire while moving or during stand and shoot so you'd want smaller, wide units. These would supplement the usual bigger units of archers and not fully replace them.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Safety Factor posted:

Basic skeletons are trash so take them in big blocks of 20+ so they can survive long enough to act as anvils. They're 6 points even with light armor, shields, and spears so you can load up on them. Give yourself some extra leeway on ranks because they're going to die. That said, one unit per 1000 points can take the Nehekharan Phalanx special rule which makes it so they don't even have to give ground when they lose combat. It's 10 points per unit so just take it. They can completely lock down an enemy unit and let the rest of your army reposition around them. They're also easy to keep topped up if you have a couple liche priests in your list.

Additionally, for what it's worth, skeleton warriors (and tomb guard) can act as regimental units for detachments of archers. Stand and shoot results count towards combat resolution so it might be enough to tip that first round in your favor. They can't volley fire while moving or during stand and shoot so you'd want smaller, wide units. These would supplement the usual bigger units of archers and not fully replace them.

I think the current, tentative, plan is for two big 6x6 or 7x5 blocks with the Nehekharan Phalanx rule, plus a single either 6x4 or 5x5 unit. I have a small 8x1 archer unit built, with a lot more models planned to supplement. What should I be thinking in terms of archer unit sizes and positioning?

All of this will hopefully be built and painted over the next few months, while I play around with my "Surprise, it's all goddamned Minotaurs!" list in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's a quick and dirty test model for my Tzeentch scheme. Unfortunately, my lightbox died on me so the lighting isn't great. The model is a little lighter overall in person.

Overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's meant to be a simpler scheme so that I can get an army on the table. For example, I did a lot of drybrushing on the cloak in place of my usual blending and it worked really well. However, I see some room for improvement:
1. I don't think the blue came out quite the way I wanted. I put two layers of airbrushed highlights over the base coat before going on to brush work and it doesn't really stand out the way I wanted. I think I need to push the highlights further. I have a darker metallic blue I could use for the recesses under my original base coat.
2. My oil shade might have been a little light. I also used black and I'm wondering if a different color might work better.
3. I like the cloak, but I think I need darker shadows to let the burgundy/maroon stand out more. I think I'll start with a little black mixed in to darken it.
4. Not happy with the horns. I tried hitting them with contrast and then diluting the tips. I've done it on previous models, but I'm not satisfied with the results. I want to avoid wet blending for the sake of speed so I'll figure something out.
5. I drybrushed the edges of the cloak with the same colors as the base and applied some pigments as well. It doesn't show as much as I'd like so I'll need to go a little heavier.

Next up, I'll be doing the other 9 warriors and a sorcerer. The sorcerer will just be along for the ride until his armor is done. Then he'll be split off as a solo project.