Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cygni posted:

supposedly they fixed that behavior yesterday, so it might be driver/adrenaline update time.

also when you are in there, be sure to opt out of the AMD User Experience Program. it causes all sorts of stupid issues, too.

So it got better, in that it's now just a ~half-second pause, but it's still there and I can't stop noticing it.

Did they ever explain what was causing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is there any point to the xx50 AMD cards, or am I just paying $30 extra for a chunkier heatsink and a negligible performance bump?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
No. AMD tries to stabilize street prizes with them, or offer the illusion of a Nvidia Super-style refresh.
No one cares about them and they linger in retailer inventory forever at unwarranted, elevated prices.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Star Man posted:

Part of me has always believed that pairing an AMD Radeon card with a system using an AMD processor unlocks perfect harmony.
I really wanted to have a 7900X + 7900XT machine.

Instead I have a 7900X + 4070 :smith:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Josh Lyman posted:

I really wanted to have a 7900X + 7900XT machine.

Instead I have a 7900X + 4070 :smith:

You were so close to escaping the simulation.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if you're in europe, caseking has some of the better 4080 super models like the msi gaming x slim in stock right now btw

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

No. AMD tries to stabilize street prizes with them, or offer the illusion of a Nvidia Super-style refresh.
No one cares about them and they linger in retailer inventory forever at unwarranted, elevated prices.

Thanks for the advice. I will admit that in the case of XFX's model at least, the beefier heatsink did catch my attention.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1760668266585092302?t=lqsaq7yAZl0tjH9-Otp38A&s=19

Nvidia is merging GeForce Experience, the Nvidia control panel, and Shadowplay, and in the process eliminating the login requirement for GFE

It's in beta, and Gamers Nexus has a video on it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fwiw 551.61 drivers released today show having the beta available

quote:

In addition, this driver supports the beta release of NVIDIA App, which unifies GeForce Experience and the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1760668266585092302?t=lqsaq7yAZl0tjH9-Otp38A&s=19

Nvidia is merging GeForce Experience, the Nvidia control panel, and Shadowplay, and in the process eliminating the login requirement for GFE

Oh thank god

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiwuYbURWVI

holy poo poo, it's actually good, too. not every driver setting is added yet (no resolution, color, or scaling options), but the nvidia drivers are finally entering the modern era.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

now they just need to integrate overclocking/power/fan controls (which are built into the driver already but not exposed out of the box for some reason)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the new ai vibrance and tonemapping filters for freestyle are also pretty huge features that get lost in the announcement

i still wonder how many people regularly use freestyle as their go-tos, though. doesn't feel long ago that the settings would often reset every time you started up the game

e: upcoming av1 support for shadowplay - which is apparently not dead - is huge too

e2: maybe nvidia only just started remembering that freestyle and shadowplay exist lol

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 22, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Will those work with everything? Most of the current freestyle options don’t work with many (most?) games.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
automatic vibrance is mostly useful for competitive fps games so you can see your opponents better. it also helps colourblind people see stuff better in game. so it comes down to how well it works in games like valorant and cs2

beyond that, you're probably better off using reshade to fiddle with vibrance for more aesthetic purposes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The overlay getting a ui refresh is also welcome

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

now they just need to integrate overclocking/power/fan controls (which are built into the driver already but not exposed out of the box for some reason)

Another driver feature that has existed for years but remains unexposed is gamut clamping. This seems like it'd be a really useful feature to expose to users considering the proliferation of wide-gamut gaming monitors with lovely sRGB modes, but what do i know.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 22, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to have to hold off on driver updates until NVCleanstall figures out how to remove all the telemetry from whatever this thing is gonna add. I was just installing drivers with only the Nvidia Control Panel and no GFE for the past year and it was going swell.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I don't know how far of topic this is, but I just bought a 6750xt off eBay. It's power draw is 250w. My processor is an i5-11400 at 65w. I have a single SSD and 2 16gb RAM sticks and nothing else but a couple fans in there. It's an Inspiron 3891 that had a 250w PSU. I upgraded to a 500w from a server I wasn't using anymore.

AMD recommends 650w PSU for the 6750xt, but since it draws 250w and I've already upgraded that many watts, do I need a new PSU?

Here's my exact setup right now, if you need it. I'll be swapping out the 1060 for the 6750xt.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I don't know how far of topic this is, but I just bought a 6750xt off eBay. It's power draw is 250w. My processor is an i5-11400 at 65w. I have a single SSD and 2 16gb RAM sticks and nothing else but a couple fans in there. It's an Inspiron 3891 that had a 250w PSU. I upgraded to a 500w from a server I wasn't using anymore.

AMD recommends 650w PSU for the 6750xt, but since it draws 250w and I've already upgraded that many watts, do I need a new PSU?

Here's my exact setup right now, if you need it. I'll be swapping out the 1060 for the 6750xt.

Imo you should be fine

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What kind of 500w PSU is it?

You're probably fine but if it's a cheapo 500w it might be worth it to get a nicer one. If it's a decent one I probably would leave it.

That 250w PSU was probably a risk though lol. Not what I would have done even with a 1060 and a 11400.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Lockback posted:

What kind of 500w PSU is it?

You're probably fine but if it's a cheapo 500w it might be worth it to get a nicer one. If it's a decent one I probably would leave it.

That 250w PSU was probably a risk though lol. Not what I would have done even with a 1060 and a 11400.

Nah. I put the 500w in there for the 1060.

I say "in there," but really it's bolted to the side.

It's from a Dell server so I don't think it'd be considered cheapo. But here's an Amazon link to the exact one I have(I don't know where else to find it). It doesn't seem to be on dells site.

And it's apparently 525w.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

gradenko_2000 posted:

and in the process eliminating the login requirement for GFE

Finally. gently caress very specifically whoever at Nvidia made the decision to require a login to begin with and double gently caress whoever made the decision that it should have a captcha and expiration.

I hope they are pecked by geese for eternity.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It looks great… I hope the untethering of the software to a login means it’s collecting less telemetry than it used to, or is at least anonymizing it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What telemetry was it collecting before (or I guess is in the released version) that was problematic? I haven’t looked into it.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Subjunctive posted:

What telemetry was it collecting before (or I guess is in the released version) that was problematic? I haven’t looked into it.

Seems like I fell for a clickbaity thing indicating it was collecting untoward info and sharing it widely, but it appears that was a bit hysterical. Maybe my being irritated at the login requirement gave me an itchy trigger finger in thinking they were doing something heinous, I dunno. But bringing the driver UI up to snuff for 2024 sans a login requirement is definitely good news.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I would have minded the account requirement a lot less if it had saved my goddamn password and never asked for it every loving time just to download a driver update. And not sent me a 2fa email every time too. I'm not against using 2fa but there is no sensitive info in my Nvidia account that exists solely because they forced me to make it for GFE

About a year ago I finally uninstalled GFE and have simply downloaded the driver manually every once in a while, probably a lot less often than it actually has updates, and only installed the control panel because gently caress Nvidia

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 22, 2024

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’s the thread consensus on updating drivers anyway? In the past I’ve only really updated for issues actually effecting me and/or fixes for games I’m actually playing.

Is this dumb?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasturtium posted:

Seems like I fell for a clickbaity thing indicating it was collecting untoward info and sharing it widely, but it appears that was a bit hysterical. Maybe my being irritated at the login requirement gave me an itchy trigger finger in thinking they were doing something heinous, I dunno. But bringing the driver UI up to snuff for 2024 sans a login requirement is definitely good news.

Ah, totally understandable. Enough companies have tried to hide ugly poo poo under the label of “telemetry’ that it’s reasonable to be cautious.

If I were on the NVIDIA driver/desktop-software team I would definitely want a bunch of telemetry data too!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

I used to do it religiously, and for some hardware - fundamentally new AMD GPU architectures for the first year after release, Intel Arc - it’s wise to grab a new driver on a regular cadence. But for established Radeons and Nvidia in general, I think it’s fine to only upgrade if there’s a security advisory or you run into problems that a newer driver is likely to solve.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Use normal Windows UI, assholes :argh:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VorpalFish posted:

Finally. gently caress very specifically whoever at Nvidia made the decision to require a login to begin with and double gently caress whoever made the decision that it should have a captcha and expiration.

I agree with this 1000%.

Red_Fred posted:

What’s the thread consensus on updating drivers anyway? In the past I’ve only really updated for issues actually effecting me and/or fixes for games I’m actually playing.

Is this dumb?

I’m not gonna say it’s dumb but sometimes they slip things in there to fix overall issues and I can’t be hosed to read patch notes every time so I just update when there’s a new driver that’s been out for a few weeks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mobby_6kl posted:

Use normal Windows UI, assholes :argh:

Microsoft should set a better example there, then!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VorpalFish posted:

Nvidia also had one of the few persistent fido2 implementation, meaning you could log on nvidia with a yubikey and nothing else. They recently added passkey so again, no need to use passwords unless you really want it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Red_Fred posted:

Is this dumb?

If you are playing new release games, grab the latest. Driver updates these days are mostly about adding new work arounds for badly programmed games. But if you are still playing Transport Tycoon Deluxe religiously, you don’t need to worry too much.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Be on top of drivers if you're playing new games of if you have a new card.

If you're not doing either of those things, every once in a while is fine and you're probably better served not getting day 0 drivers all the time. It's not a bad idea to grab them every so often though, and if you ever see weirdness it's a good first step.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lockback posted:

Be on top of drivers if you're playing new games of if you have a new card.

If you're not doing either of those things, every once in a while is fine and you're probably better served not getting day 0 drivers all the time. It's not a bad idea to grab them every so often though, and if you ever see weirdness it's a good first step.

When is the last time a driver update has really hosed up an older, established game? At least with the established players, maybe Intel is still in their wild early days.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cyrano4747 posted:

When is the last time a driver update has really hosed up an older, established game? At least with the established players, maybe Intel is still in their wild early days.

Intel is still kinda in their wild early days. Their dGPUs can't play starfield really, still.

On Nvidia's end, the current drivers will randomly crash your PC if you're using a 10xx or 20xx card in SLI if you also have windows hardware accelerated GPU scheduling turned on in windows 10/11. Not sure why you'd be using SLI in 2024 though.

Also Netflix in Edge is broken. Also not sure why you're watching Netflix in Microsoft Edge but eh.

edit: the last really broken Nvidia drivers that I can remember/find were the God of War Game Ready drivers from 2022 where they broke geometry randomly in Far Cry 6, just broke HDR completely in a lot of different ways, made HDMI 2.1 audio break if you used dolby atmos, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed would just crash sometimes if anyone drove through water.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 22, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah there's been a few times its screwed up things like dual monitors with different refresh rates, (4138119)
there was this issue a few months ago
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/03/nvidia-patches-driver-bug-that-caused-high-cpu-usage-after-quitting-games/

There was a pretty bad chrome one some people saw last year too I think, though I can't find that one.

I wouldn't say it's common but they release hot fixes frequently enough that if your not playing anything that would be getting updated with new drivers I wouldn't spend the effort to stay on top of them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The chrome bug still exists. Probably will be fixed in about... 10 years.