Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the emperor is barely a physical entity at all, he’s basically a physical shell around an insanely powerful warp presence, so he can change size at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri5WvGW97Qs

Knights vs Nurgle

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Knights are very cool. Are there any black library books that focus on them other than Assassinorum: Kingmaker?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nvm mistaken

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 22, 2024

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

One of the main plotlines in Master of Mankind is about the House Vyridion knight household and includes some sweet knight pew-pew in the webway.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
There is some Knight content in Titandeath but it's only a small aspect of the book, which is so-so overall.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There was a good bit about the Knights in Mechanicum that I think tied into the lore about the Void Dragon at the time. Did that go anywhere or am I just completely misremembering?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why would there be nurgle knights

I guess a knight world in the eye of terror idk

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

euphronius posted:

why wouldn't there be?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

serious gaylord posted:

There was a good bit about the Knights in Mechanicum that I think tied into the lore about the Void Dragon at the time. Did that go anywhere or am I just completely misremembering?

As far as I'm aware all the old Void Dragon plot hints got erased with the rework of the Necrons and C'tan.

euphronius posted:

I guess a knight world in the eye of terror idk

Lots of Knight Households joined the traitors, either out of personal loyalty to one of the primarchs, or because they got swept along with their associated forge world(s) and Titan Legion. Survivors would have ended up in the Eye along with all the other remnants of Horus's forces. And in the intervening ten thousand years there have been plenty of opportunities for formerly loyal groups or planets to flip sides, either consciously because of grievances with the Imperium, or because of Chaos machinations (see the excellent Assassinorum: Kingmaker).

So essentially

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

why wouldn't there be?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One thing I that amused me in The End And The Death was the description of Arhiman:

The End And The Death vol. 2 by Dan Abnett posted:

His eyes are deep-set and radiantly blue, and his mouth is clamped in a rictus, a permanent grimace that bares his clenched teeth and pulls the muscles of his throat into tight cords. His gums are black. There is something terribly wrong with his proportions. He is too tall, too slender. His arms and legs and fingers are thin and elongated to such an extent it evokes arachnid rather than human. His head and hands are the only parts of him not tight-wrapped in black cloth. His flesh is pale and translucent, and its substance flickers. Each subliminal quiver of flesh exposes a brief radiographic ghost of his hand-bones and skull.

He looks like a mummy. But maybe not just any mummy.

That's Eddie, Iron Maiden's mascot, who's look is changed to fit each album. But what album is that depiction from?

:black101:Powerslave:black101:

Tell me why I had to be a Powerslave
I don't wanna die, I'm a god
Why can't I live on?
When the Life Giver dies
All around is laid waste
And in my last hour
I'm a slave to the Power of Death

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's amazing and I can't unsee it now.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

habeasdorkus posted:

Knights are very cool. Are there any black library books that focus on them other than Assassinorum: Kingmaker?

The dawn of fire book The Iron Kingdom is about a crusade fleet coming to try and bring a knight world that had been cut off back into the imperial fold.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had had a (wrong) idea that knight worlds were only discovered after the Hearsay

But yeah that was obviously wrong

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No that's just hearsay

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

No that's just hearsay

So who is Judge Judy/Rinder in 40k?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There are two knights focused books, Kingsblade and Knightblade by Andy Clark. It's been forever since I read them but I think I remember them being ok.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
There's also an omnibus "God-Machines", that has knights in it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

euphronius posted:

I had had a (wrong) idea that knight worlds were only discovered after the Hearsay

But yeah that was obviously wrong

They don’t come up very often so this is an understandable mistake imo

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I saw someone saying that this looks like a cinematic from a 1990's RTS and yeah, it really does :lol:

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
What the hell is the purpose of cloistering Warhammer media on a separate platform like Warhammer Plus?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Siege mentality until Henry Cavill's home movies get released on Amazon Prime.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Blue Raider posted:

They don’t come up very often so this is an understandable mistake imo

I think when they first released the models the lore was that they only just recently rediscovered them or something, wasn't it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The original original lore is that the Eldar shared the technology so humans could fight dinosaurs.

Space dinosaurs, not earth ones

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here read Lords of the Lance, the new Bretonnia book that dropped alongside the Old World? I gave it a shot because I'm currently grogging hard over the game itself. It was surprisingly solid. I wasn't sure what to expect from Graham McNeill here as it's been a while since I've read one of his books and I don't think I've read any of his old WHFB output. It's a fun little adventure as a bunch of knights go to Khemri, gently caress up really, really badly, and try to get home while running into problem after problem. A lot of stuff goes wrong here and the characters are only human. Also, it's already been established with the game, but they've taken the opportunity to just ignore some of the old lore and let women be knights too. Yeah, there were always funny little loopholes in the past, but there's no mention of that and it's for the best.

Finally, the book features an unexpected mention of cuckoldry. But seriously though, the ending sets up the return of Settra the Imperishable, King of Kings, etc., etc. though it's not really relevant to this book. More for the setting as a whole.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Finally, the book features an unexpected mention of cuckoldry.

This has been a punchline for at least 400 years. Shakespeare got a lot of mileage out of it, so it makes sense, to me at least, that it’d show up in a late medieval/early modern vibe setting.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

This has been a punchline for at least 400 years. Shakespeare got a lot of mileage out of it, so it makes sense, to me at least, that it’d show up in a late medieval/early modern vibe setting.

It's in Canterbury tales. The "Miller's Tale" is about an old dude marrying a young wife, she sleeps around. Another dude catches her (who is so "dainty" he's scared to break wind) and ask for a kiss, only for her to stick her butt out for him to kiss instead of her face.

I only know this because I had to do a paper on it in college.

Still think that Games Workshop are kicking themselves for putting Vermintide and Total Warhammer out after they killed the setting.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Marital infidelity ( :hmmyes: ) is a key plot element in the Arthurian mythos too, if anything a Brettonia story lacking it would be ignoring the source material.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I do miss that the penalty for being caught questing-while-female in Brettonia was to be sent on a quest. I always thought that was a really neat way to have a setting be thematically 'backwards' while allowing gender equality on the tabletop.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

OPAONI posted:

I do miss that the penalty for being caught questing-while-female in Brettonia was to be sent on a quest. I always thought that was a really neat way to have a setting be thematically 'backwards' while allowing gender equality on the tabletop.

There was a lot of actually funny stuff like this in Fantasy. In the Witch Hunter’s Handbook, the test of demonic possession in a noble’s child was eating three full pieces of cake. If they can manage this task, they’re clearly free from the taint of chaos.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kylaer posted:

Marital infidelity ( :hmmyes: ) is a key plot element in the Arthurian mythos too, if anything a Brettonia story lacking it would be ignoring the source material.
Is not the Horus Heresy a form of martial infidelity, writ large?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Less jokingly, I finally got an e-reader. Is the OP's recommendation for 40k books still good? Any other suggestions? My main experience with the setting is the Ciaphas Cain books as well as Kim Newman's WHFRP book about Jack the Ripper in the Reik.

Also, should I go on amazon or BL for The Best Experience (I got a Fire)?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Mike Brooks has made his way into the Good Black Library Author canon. Brutal Kunning, Orks and Adeptis Mechanicus having at each other.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Nessus posted:

Less jokingly, I finally got an e-reader. Is the OP's recommendation for 40k books still good? Any other suggestions? My main experience with the setting is the Ciaphas Cain books as well as Kim Newman's WHFRP book about Jack the Ripper in the Reik.

Please read eisenhorn OP

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Please read eisenhorn OP
Understood. Is the Omnibus a good call on this one?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Nessus posted:

All the books that are recommended are still good, but there's been a mountain of new content released since the OP was written and many of them are really good.

Everything by Robert Rath and Nate Crowley is excellent. Most of Chris Wraight's stuff is really good. Mike Brooks has written some really good books and some that are kind of meh (Huron Blackheart, The Lion: Son of the Forest). There's been some good Horus Heresy books and most of the Siege of Terra sub-series is worth reading, with a lot of it being really good (The First Wall and Mortis are weak, The Solar War and The Lost and The Damned are decent but not great, and Saturnine, Warhawk, Echoes of Eternity, and all three The End and The Death volumes are superb).

I like buying direct from Black Library so I don't have to deal with Amazon DRM.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

Twice Dead King: Ruin and Reign are my current favorite and pick for top of the Black Library.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Nessus posted:

Understood. Is the Omnibus a good call on this one?

Yes and than read ravenor after. Probably do eisenhorn before everything else it's great and than take a break with whatever and than read ravenor

The thread title used to be read eisenhorn than come back and it still holds true its a great intro if your unfamiliar with the structures of warhams lore and its a great tour de force if you are

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 23, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OPAONI posted:

Yeah I was trying to figure out how to phrase it but imo that stuffs pretty fun, if done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I managed to fight the documents onto the new tablet, hooray. Got the Eisenhorn book plus the Navigator novel that I had seen someone mention while I was wiki-trawling about the RT CRPG. That should do me until next paycheck, lorf.