Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Everybody likes my loud music except the one old gringo who reached retirement two years ago and just... didn't retire. Just retire and let us enjoy loud rear end music, old man! You've been working here since the 80's, you achieved the dream of reaching retirement with a full pension, go golf!

Of course, the reason he doesn't is tragic. All he has in life is this job. No friends, no hobbies. Something happened with his wife. I sincerely think he's just hoping he'll have a heart attack one day while working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
What’s more likely - everybody enjoys it; or some people do and some people don’t, but the people who don’t don’t want to say anything because they don’t want to cause a stink

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We have no problem causing stinks here. Every stink is loudly announced, lauded, recognized, heralded, upheld as the stink of our time, and dealt with fully and with finality.

There are exceptions, of course. We have our stealth stinks. There exist the pseudo-stinks. A few stinks masquerade as crypto-stinks. But overall, to quote Joel from MST3K, "It Stinks!"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Maestro posted:

I think they were more asking for a list of guidelines/regulations to post somewhere for easy access. Because like we’re all saying, it’s dumb easy to pass it but that doesn’t mean you actually retain any of the info

Yeah exactly, I'm going to sit through all 8 hours, I just didn't want to take notes.

Timby posted:

ServSafe is stupidly easy.

Ok, good to know. I know that the server level one that I currently have is stupid easy, but now I have to take the manager level, so I was assuming that it would be harder. Much longer, anyway.

My local health department, they let me operate for 3 years with only server-level, but when I went to pay for my annual permits, they were like, "oh, we overlooked that. Of course you have to have Manager-level"
Originally I was told that an Ice cream shop didn't need that.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Seriously, if you’ve been in food service for longer than like a year, you’ll be fine.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Coasterphreak posted:

Seriously, if you’ve been in food service for longer than like a year, you’ll be fine.

And also, no you will not.

Anyway, we have three of this particular piece of equipment. One is totally hosed, one is partially hosed, and one is perfect. Guess which one went missing.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Animal-Mother posted:

And also, no you will not.

Anyway, we have three of this particular piece of equipment. One is totally hosed, one is partially hosed, and one is perfect. Guess which one went missing.

The one worth pawning by a cook with a nasty meth tendency?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Half the people I work with are emotionally 10 years old so if I buy a new tool for one station I have to be sure to get the exact same one for everybody else. Even if it's exactly the same as the old one, I'll still have two men in their 50s slap fighting each other over who gets the new $4 spatula.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Human Tornada posted:

Half the people I work with are emotionally 10 years old so if I buy a new tool for one station I have to be sure to get the exact same one for everybody else. Even if it's exactly the same as the old one, I'll still have two men in their 50s slap fighting each other over who gets the new $4 spatula.

I will cut a bitch over new boards.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Coasterphreak posted:

Well yeah, where else would you do it??

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Coasterphreak posted:

Which color board is for human flesh? The red one, right?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

Which color board is for human flesh? The red one, right?

Depends if they're cooked or not.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Timby posted:

ServSafe is stupidly easy. The questions, at least when I took it in 2002 and again in 2006, were like, "Should you wash your hands after using the restroom?" "Should you wear gloves while handling raw, uncooked meats?" "Should you thoroughly clean soda dispensers on a regular basis?" "What is the appropriate way to react to a patron who is visibly over-served or intoxicated?" "Should pots and pans be washed and dried before re-use, yes / no?"

Sure, it's dry and boring, but it's an easy pass.

The food manager one is much harder now, and has trick questions. Also some very technical seafood/shellfish questions. I recommend truly studying for it, or cheating.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

This is why factories and repair shops make the guys own their own tools.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

The food manager one is much harder now, and has trick questions. Also some very technical seafood/shellfish questions. I recommend truly studying for it, or cheating.

Ugh, great. And to add insult to inury, none of that stuff applies to my candy shop.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I believe there was a recent expose about servsafe being a product of the restaurant trade association, with the perverse incentives that entails. I’m in the air rn and can’t check.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There is no inch of the kitchen that hasn't fallen apart since the new year :negative:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

angerbot posted:

There is no inch of the kitchen that hasn't fallen apart since the new year :negative:

Time for a remodel.

Of who you work for

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ugh, great. And to add insult to inury, none of that stuff applies to my candy shop.

Yeah, it's bullshit. Like many things in this industry.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe there was a recent expose about servsafe being a product of the restaurant trade association, with the perverse incentives that entails. I’m in the air rn and can’t check.

Paying to work in the industry while that money goes towards making sure you're chronically underpaid and underrepresented.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

angerbot posted:

My reach-in doesn't work. My dough press doesn't work. We're down to one shooter. People are sick all the time. My coworker has a fractured skull and I have to do his stuff. The quality of the produce has gone down. My favorite chef is going to quit. Our general manager has generally managed to piss off the cooks, custodians, potwashers, and I assume managers but they don't talk about it. Rent in the area has become unaffordable for everyone in the working class. I hurt my back. More than one doctor's office has hosed up my insurance paperwork. I am either going insane or I am having mystical experiences. (I don't do drugs, I just drink)

All in all, not bad. Met someone.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Animal-Mother posted:

We're down to one shooter.
Grats on that one thing, but what on earth is this?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

FFT posted:

Grats on that one thing, but what on earth is this?

https://youtu.be/lvL-I3Dfeqc?si=wQTB5Tj2TP3XMdtr

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Exactly but large and industrial. More commonly known as the chingadera.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Godamn, I hate that robot Doordash bitch. So doesn't care how busy and/or understaffed you are.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Godamn, I hate that robot Doordash bitch. So doesn't care how busy and/or understaffed you are.

True but does anyone

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

True but does anyone

I had a temper tantrum yesterday when she called for the 3rd time at the exact wrong moment.

I actually glad that none of my employees were there to see it; I place a lot of value on keeping my cool in the shop.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

I place a lot of value on keeping my cool in the shop.

this is why you must not lick the caramel

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Got to cross off a bucket list item today: I snuck into a meeting where three old chefs were arguing about what "Chicago style" really means.

And by snuck in, I mean I just happened to notice the executive chef of the university needed somebody to open the office door for him while he was carrying a tray of slices of pizza he had made. He's from Chicago himself, he had local knowledge of the fact that this is, without doubt, Chicago style.

The GM, who is from another continent, was adamant that this is not the Chicago style that he has had before. He demanded that it be, "Like... seven inches high!" The production manager was distressed. No matter what, this is going to be a pain in the rear end for our kitchen. And is the crust correct? Shouldn't it be thicker?

The EC was steadfast. "We can absolutely make it another way, but I won't let you call it Chicago style." The GM replied, "I don't care what state you name it after! Detroit style, New York style, whatever! I just want it to be huge!"

"Animal Mother, what do you think?"

Sheepishly, realizing the EC had put a "manhole cover" of sausage on this pie, making it rather un-Kosher, I turned into a corncob and muttered something about just being the new guy. I ended up giving my slice to a customer. The voice in my head had asked me, "To whom is your loyalty? Me or your chef?" I almost answered, "Well, Chef, of course."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That's deep dish and it's a trick to play on tourists. Real Chicago style is a super thin, almost cracker like thin crust with golden brown cheese and it's square cut, not triangles.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 22, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh hell yeah time for this thread to consume itself

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Soonmot posted:

That's deep dish and it's a trick to play on tourists. Real Chicago style is a super thin, almost cracker like thin crust with golden brown cheese and it's square cut, not triangles.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think the tiny pizza looks OK.

e: like I would want some mayo to dip in in

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Soonmot posted:

It is my understanding that this is, in fact, Detroit style, chef.

angerbot posted:

I think the tiny pizza looks OK.
Thank you, chef.

quote:

What the gently caress, chef.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

That's Ohio/St Louis style imho (thin round pizza with square cut and crispy corner pieces). Detroit style is a thicker square pizza, not Chicago thick, cut into smaller square. Sorry Chicago guy you are actually eating Columbus/Cleveland style pizza. Makes sense since everyone cool from restaurants in Ohio eventually moves to Chicago

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Nothing is Chicago style, and everything is.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
it's called pizza motherfuckers

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

angerbot posted:

Animal-Mother posted:

What the gently caress, chef.

Ah, Japanese style pizza.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
That thin "Chicago locals' pizza" is found all over the Midwest. I doubt it originated in Ohio, since it's often pretty good, and if you see that and think "Detroit style," you have a screw loose.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

how fortunate that all of you do not border rhode island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
I'm pretty sure "Cleveland-style" pizza is one restaurant using provolone for their cheese and then calling it "Cleveland-style" for the marketing.

I lived in Columbus for 12 years and have never heard of a Columbus-style pizza. I guess that kind of looks like what Donatos serves.