Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wisconsin (and me) does have a massive alcohol problem and it's kind of a big pride but also a low key shame thing.

Shame because it's like... really really bad. Sure it's fun that we can put anyone under the table but... I mean, it's gotta be one of the worst alcohol problems in any geographic location on the entire planet, not just the USA. I'd put money on that.

We like to laugh it off and joke about it, a lot, but deep down we all know something is wrong.

Do you have lots of people with ancestry from the nordic countries there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Heath posted:

I work in an OR and we can always, always tell when you smoke weed or when you drink a lot based on how you react to the anesthesia. People lie about it constantly for some reason.

Heavy weed smokers, especially young ones, are always a pain in the rear end waking up and for the younger men in particular we often have to have multiple people in there restraining them as they wake up because they either try to rub their face (anesthesia makes your nose itch for some reason) and risk damaging their eyes or else keep trying to sit up or roll over while still only barely conscious

how do you know if they don't react that way and don't tell you? you're probably catching a tiny fraction.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Many years ago I visited Wisconsin for a convention and arrived in the area around midnight. While driving around looking for a hotel, we noted that 1 in 4 buildings was a bar. Even in primarily residential areas, there were a couple of bars on every block. We finally found a place called The [town name] Inn and went in to see if there were vacancies. It was a dive bar.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I realize now that I've never in my life purchased a TV.

In college, someone always had one and around the time I was on my own, I didn't want one because TVs got really lovely really fast, and the content on TV was big not worth it.

I keep an eye on the market, but TVs are moving further and further away from a thing I'd ever want. The panels suck. The Software is abhorrent. The controllers suck. In the pursuit to make it a quarter inch thinner, they forgot to add any heat sink to the panel. You'd think the top of the line TVs wouldn't have these kinds of problems, but they are just as lovely with modern panels (and new trade-offs).

I so, so wish TVs didn't suck. I want a dumb 65" panel for games and movies and poo poo, but I don't think there is literally a single offering that gets even close to what I'd want, let alone pay any substantial money for.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just get a big monitor? Countdown until monitors start sucking, though I mean, they already got rid of VGA ports.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Recently all of the Youtube embeds on websites have been autoplaying for me and it's absolutely awful. I'll go to a new page on a thread here and immediately the video plays and I hear the sound. The video isn't even in view, if it's anywhere on the page it will autoplay. This is happening on other sites too so it's not an issue with the forums. I can't figure out how to disable it and it's driving me mad, the only thing I can do is disable embeds on the forum but that doesn't help for other sites.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just get a big monitor? Countdown until monitors start sucking, though I mean, they already got rid of VGA ports.

A big monitor costs like 10 times more than a comparable TV.

I just never engage with any of the TV features and only use the HDMI input mode and that's been mostly satisfactory so far even on a lovely smart TV.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wisconsin (and me) does have a massive alcohol problem and it's kind of a big pride but also a low key shame thing.

Shame because it's like... really really bad. Sure it's fun that we can put anyone under the table but... I mean, it's gotta be one of the worst alcohol problems in any geographic location on the entire planet, not just the USA. I'd put money on that.

We like to laugh it off and joke about it, a lot, but deep down we all know something is wrong.

Wisconsin Old Fashions are one of my go-to drinks now :cheers:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

skooma512 posted:

What do you when they are and they didn't stop beforehand?

They usually take a lot more medication to stay completely knocked out.

mawarannahr posted:

how do you know if they don't react that way and don't tell you? you're probably catching a tiny fraction.

We can always tell.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I keep an eye on the market, but TVs are moving further and further away from a thing I'd ever want. The panels suck. The Software is abhorrent. The controllers suck. In the pursuit to make it a quarter inch thinner, they forgot to add any heat sink to the panel. You'd think the top of the line TVs wouldn't have these kinds of problems, but they are just as lovely with modern panels (and new trade-offs).

TVs are WAY better than they have ever been, especially if you spring for an OLED.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Heath posted:

We can always tell.
unless you're running drug tests on all of them, you are not :)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Vampire Panties posted:

Not to discredit Wisconsite drinking, but this is pretty much everyone, everywhere. I haven't had a drink in 11+ years and I've been completely ostracized.

favorite story - I was out to dinner on a solo trip in Rome, and I ordered a diet coke with dinner. The waiter brought it out in a pink can and made a big point of showing it to the only other table of Americans in the restaurant, I guess to shame me into ordering a glass of wine?

I quit drinking 18 years ago and this never happens. The only people I've been "ostracized" by were old friends who's only leisure activity was getting shithouse every single night and mostly we just drifted apart. Zero people have ever given me any poo poo for not drinking. Getting pressured to drink is definitely not a universal experience.

I did have a waiter at a Mexican restaurant give me poo poo for ordering a diet coke one time, implying it was gay, but he was giving me poo poo for everything I ordered. "Diet coke, huh? You sure you don't mean regular coke? Hmmm, ok I guess. You really want to order that dish? Its pretty spicy. I don't think you can handle it." *brings out a giant plate of food that I couldn't possibly finish in one sitting* "Oh look, you couldn't eat it. I told you it was too spicy. You want another ~*DiEt CoKe*~ to cool down?" It was very funny.

big mean giraffe posted:

TVs are WAY better than they have ever been, especially if you spring for an OLED.

My newer Sony TV is pretty nice, I don't know what people are complaining about wrt modern TVs. It plays Plex just fine. Its not even OLED but it looks super sharp. I guess it takes like 20 seconds to boot up when I first turn it on but otherwise it looks great and gives me no problems. I'm assuming the actual problem is, as always, streaming services.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Wisconsin Old Fashions are one of my go-to drinks now :cheers:

Man, I pissed off a Chicago mixologist when I asked from a Brandy Old Fashioned Sour.

Wisconsinites can also spot out of state people because they actually stop at the red lights.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Me, the person who can't function without a sparked up joint, just never drinks because it's lame and for babies and you shouldn't be dependent on a chemical to normalize you hth

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I realize now that I've never in my life purchased a TV.

In college, someone always had one and around the time I was on my own, I didn't want one because TVs got really lovely really fast, and the content on TV was big not worth it.

I so, so wish TVs didn't suck. I want a dumb 65" panel for games and movies and poo poo, but I don't think there is literally a single offering that gets even close to what I'd want, let alone pay any substantial money for.

Just get a Sceptre display panel, they're fine if you gently caress with their settings enough.

E: I've pissed off bartenders in Chicago and Wisconsin. The second time it was because I accidentally overwrote his wedding vow tape with christian rap from the late 90s. The first time was because I set the guy's car on fire on accident. Very excitable sorts, bartenders.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006

Philthy posted:

Man, I pissed off a Chicago mixologist when I asked from a Brandy Old Fashioned Sour.

Wisconsinites can also spot out of state people because they actually stop at the red lights.

I pissed off a bartender in Wisconsin (she was not a mixologist) by asking for an old fashioned but with brandy. She was mostly annoyed I wasn't just asking for a shilitz like everybody else though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The owner actually brought the guy over to me and he explained how Brandy Old Fashioned Sours dont exist. He explained how this guy studied drinks professionally. I said I'll have whatever Old Fashioned you know how to make.

It was a good drink. But it was a very weird experience.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Funka posted:

I pissed off a bartender in Wisconsin (she was not a mixologist) by asking for an old fashioned but with brandy. She was mostly annoyed I wasn't just asking for a shilitz like everybody else though.

This makes no sense. Brandy old fashions are a very Wisconsin drink. Wisconsin consumes half the brandy that is sold in the states.

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/wisconsin-drinks-a-lot-of-brandy/

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I grew up in one of the pink counties on the map and have never drank, also went to college at a Jesuit Catholic university in Milwaukee itself and somehow never drank.

Everyone drinks a lot, it's funny going anywhere and seeing people talk like they can drink and they are no where near what I've seen at home. It's honestly typically not actively dangerous overdrinking it's a lot of casual overdrinking. The kind of thing that'll catch up to you in the future rather then making you do dumb poo poo now that'll kill you. Except every so often it does get someone now.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006

I Miss Snausages posted:

This makes no sense. Brandy old fashions are a very Wisconsin drink. Wisconsin consumes half the brandy that is sold in the states.

I wish I would have known it was a thing back then, it wasn't in any M city anyways it was https://maps.app.goo.gl/otYZqWKvtHjU4AUw8

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mawarannahr posted:

unless you're running drug tests on all of them, you are not :)

No, I assure you, we can always tell. Regular smokers take 3x as much propofol to remain sufficiently deep. We can tell.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Heath posted:

No, I assure you, we can always tell. Regular smokers take 3x as much propofol to remain sufficiently deep. We can tell.

You're missing the people who don't react that way

e: 3/151 lol https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0248062

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im no doctor but it seems odd to me that theres only 1 factor that could possibly affect the dose needed to put and keep you asleep and it's smoking weed apparently ?

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

e: 3/151 lol https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0248062

Interesting that it's a measurable dose dependent effect but yeah that data definitively shows that Heath is talking out their rear end. There's plenty of overlap between the groups, OP is really acting like they're out to prove my bias against practicing medical professionals being any good at actual research or statistics. Every time I have to interact with someone who is a practicing clinician they're the most biased filled numerically illiterate people I run into in my profession.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mawarannahr posted:

quote:

Three hundred and eighteen participants were included (cases, n = 151; controls, n = 167). Cannabis exposure was associated with an increase in propofol dose (cases 0.33 mg/kg/minute ±0.24; controls, 0.18 mg/kg/minute ±0.11; p<0.0001). Cannabis exposure remained an independent predictor of propofol dose on multivariate linear regression accounting for other important covariates (p<0.0001). Daily cannabis users required a higher propofol dose than weekly or monthly users. Three procedural sedation-related complications occurred in the cannabis-exposed group, while none occurred in the unexposed group.

Conclusion

Our data suggest that cannabis use is significantly associated with the quantity of propofol needed for sedation at endoscopy. Further study is needed to better understand the molecular basis for this possible drug-drug interaction.

Three complications out of the exposed group. That does not mean only 3 people showed signs of cannabis use (that is, needing a lot more propofol to remain sedated.)

I literally cannot understand why you are arguing this point or what you have to gain from it, especially since you're citing a source that says the exact thing I've been trying to tell you. We can always tell.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Heath posted:

Three complications out of the exposed group. That does not mean only 3 people showed signs of cannabis use (that is, needing a lot more propofol to remain sedated.)

I literally cannot understand why you are arguing this point or what you have to gain from it, especially since you're citing a source that says the exact thing I've been trying to tell you. We can always tell.

You do you, doc :allears:

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Heath posted:

You're missing the part where there are overlaps at every exposure level because there are other factors which play into this. You literally cannot always tell.

Pts should still be encouraged to confidentially report usage and it should be considered in the mix but there's no way you can run some sort of binary classification of weed smokers vs not if that's what the relationship looks like.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Disclosing drug use to a health professional will cost an average single at least 1.2k annually in extra insurance premiums.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Heath posted:

more old drunks than there are old doctors bithc

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
guess that explains why i was drug tested before a major surgery

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I Miss Snausages posted:

It’s even the state cocktail.

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/14/1213008601/wisconsin-crowns-the-brandy-old-fashioned-as-the-official-state-cocktail

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I Miss Snausages posted:

it sounds like Wisconsin consumes half or more of all alcohol in the US too

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

it sounds like Wisconsin consumes half or more of all alcohol in the US too

If you had to live in Wisconsin you'd be loving tanked all the time, too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Neh, Wisconsin is pretty great minus the chuds. The scenery is amazing if you like camping and hiking. The seasons are great now that winter basically doesn't exist anymore.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

His Divine Shadow posted:

Do you have lots of people with ancestry from the nordic countries there?

Wisconsin is known for it's German population traditionally. In my area we have a lot of that, Italian, Polish, and Irish (me), some others. Up north (I'm far south east) you'll find more nords especially getting closer to Minnesota.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Heath posted:

Anecdotal but my many experiences corroborates what you're saying exactly as well as what the doctors have told me. One time I got an endoscopy and I (not purposefully) understated my weed use and apparently I was near combative and they had to use enough propofol to get me near general anesthesia which scared them, naturally. I woke up to them all hovering over me and I was just like "Hey, what's up guys!" While they were horrified.

I wake up instantly ready to go every time. From awake to clothed and ready to go in under a minute or two.

I got a colonoscopy a few months ago and had a long conversation with the same anesthesiologist (who I mentioned was lovely) and they made a nice cocktail of propofol, fentanyl, and ketamine (standard for me now) and I only woke up once. Very cheerful but with a tube up my rear end. "Hey everyone! How's it going?! *nurse runs over and pushes the syringe a little more* I hope everyone is having a good tiiimmmm........zzzzzzzz*"

She said I metabolize propofol very very quickly.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Kagrenak posted:

Every time I have to interact with someone who is a practicing clinician they're the most biased filled numerically illiterate people I run into in my profession.
As a clinician-scientist I can confirm that you are correct, doctors are stupid as gently caress and there's no research that will ever be more important to them than a Gut Feeling*.

*The gut feelings are frequently racist

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

RDM posted:

As a clinician-scientist I can confirm that you are correct, doctors are stupid as gently caress and there's no research that will ever be more important to them than a Gut Feeling*.

*The gut feelings are frequently racist

If you think of doctors as basically diagnostic uengineers or mechanics the last couple pages start to make a little more sense.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Philthy posted:

guess that explains why i was drug tested before a major surgery

Everyone is. There are a surprising number of people that think doing a few rails right before surgery is the perfect thing to get ready for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Everyone is. There are a surprising number of people that think doing a few rails right before surgery is the perfect thing to get ready for it.

I'm picturing a rad surgeon grinding down the stairs and kickflipping into the operating room