Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well Fuuka is a given really since she doesn’t take up a team slot. Kind of unfair to compare her.

I think Koromaru is very good but is still held back by 8 moveslot syndrome. He also uses a lot of SP and his pool is only average. He doesn’t learn Agidyne so sometimes he’s using extra SP for no reason if hitting a Fire weakness. Also probably the worst characteristic since it does nothing after 3 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Given Koromaru’s second Theurgy, I imagine he’s best used on physical focused compositions for boss fights. Set your Matarukaja, Howl up the party and mix in any other multipliers you can, and unload with everyone else’s Theurgy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Koromaru is very good, but his best team comps are also the one that make MC do more work.

Like best teammates with Revolution and his Theurgy would probably be Junpei and Aigis. But that team lacks healing outside of Aigis' Diarahan, so MC will have to do that. It also means that Koromaru is doing almost nothing but buffing (Theurgy-Debilitate-Revolution, maybe Masukukaja), and he also has a tougher time building up his Theurgy since he's dependent on hitting weaknesses and many bosses won't have those. You can bring Ken in since he also has Vile Assault so he can utilize Charge, I suppose.

Compare that to the magic version where Yukari can charge up much faster since she gets gauge for healing, she's also a healer, and she can still have some utility with Sukunda and Amrita Shower.

(I prefer the physical comp myself, but there are definitely flaws with using Koromaru.)

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I've never really been bothered with my MC being moved into a supportive role, because even if he does have high potential as an attacker, he has equally good ability as a supporter. You can pick up Sarasvati and slap Divine Grace onto her far sooner than Yukari gets Mediarama or Ken joins, and that's the best healing in the game until the Diarahan spells show up. Plus with defensive buffs in play and high durability characters in a battle, there's less pressure to be healing constantly compared to having squishier members like Yukari, Ken and Mitsuru on the front lines.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i'd say mitsuru honestly because my recollection of her in the original game was that she honestly kind of sucked and now she has really strong synergy with junpei's crit stuff, and status effects seem to actually work sometimes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know this is entirely due to playing on normal but Black Frost seemed so much more OP here than in the OG. Once I was able to fuse them I basically never used any other persona on the MC for like 30 levels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

i'd say mitsuru honestly because my recollection of her in the original game was that she honestly kind of sucked and now she has really strong synergy with junpei's crit stuff, and status effects seem to actually work sometimes

Status effects actually worked really well in P3, it's just that frequently Mitsuru would do one when you wanted her to do something else due to the way her AI was coded. Marin Karin could absolutely trivialize some poo poo once the game gave you direct control over her.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I know this is entirely due to playing on normal but Black Frost seemed so much more OP here than in the OG. Once I was able to fuse them I basically never used any other persona on the MC for like 30 levels.

Honestly Black Frost feels pretty much like he's always the kind of Persona/Demon you can keep around way longer than others.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Black Frost is phenomenal in this game, super early access to tier 3 magic, naturally patches out his weakness with enough levels, and skill cards give you a ton of options to fine tune him. Plus he’s a component for a really strong Theurgy so he’s good to pick up for that too.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think that there is a bigger difference between tier 2 and tier 3 magic than there was in the original but maybe I am misremembering.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Weirdly this was Succubus for me. I had Devil maxed out by the time I could fuse her and she came with >20 magic above any other available persona for quite a while and almost full elemental coverage so she ended up carrying me for like 3-4 full moons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mitsuru's better for sure but I'll always feel a slight sting in her losing Diarama/Diarahan. Also she's a weird hybrid in that she can't take advantage of her characteristic very well since it benefits physical teams.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Status effects actually worked really well in P3, it's just that frequently Mitsuru would do one when you wanted her to do something else due to the way her AI was coded. Marin Karin could absolutely trivialize some poo poo once the game gave you direct control over her.

i have vivid memories of her constantly fishing for status effects instead of, like, just hitting things that were almost dead. I think her AI considered them to be "attacks" or something so it felt like she would try for them constantly. They probably worked sometimes, I guess, but that was overshadowed by the times when she tried marin karin on an enemy with 3hp left, missed, and then it killed me and I lost an hour of progress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ApplesandOranges posted:

Mitsuru's better for sure but I'll always feel a slight sting in her losing Diarama/Diarahan. Also she's a weird hybrid in that she can't take advantage of her characteristic very well since it benefits physical teams.

She's mostly just big numbers magic damage which is fine. Also her second theurgy is ridiculous because it does huge damage and inflicts debilitate. But yeah her characteristic seems to exist mostly to make Junpei even more of a crit machine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

i have vivid memories of her constantly fishing for status effects instead of, like, just hitting things that were almost dead. I think her AI considered them to be "attacks" or something so it felt like she would try for them constantly. They probably worked sometimes, I guess, but that was overshadowed by the times when she tried marin karin on an enemy with 3hp left, missed, and then it killed me and I lost an hour of progress.

Yeah, I think that is the big issue. They could be very useful but "Mitsuru went for a Marin Karin at the worst possible moment" is a looooot easier to remember.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Weirdly I’ve never had issues with Mitsuru doing status spam in FES, I found that several of the tactics options disuaded her from using it. I don’t really think she was that great regardless since she didn’t have much in the way of team support and her damage with Concentrated Bufudynes wasn’t much better than having Junpei just toss out his best physical attacks every turn.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Weirdly I’ve never had issues with Mitsuru doing status spam in FES, I found that several of the tactics options disuaded her from using it. I don’t really think she was that great regardless since she didn’t have much in the way of team support and her damage with Concentrated Bufudynes wasn’t much better than having Junpei just toss out his best physical attacks every turn.

I don't know if they changed the AI much but I only actually used her in the original game. She was benched when I played FES later, so if they made her not do that then maybe it doesn't apply.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It’s been forever since I played FES, but if I remember right Healing/Support would have her go full Dia-bot, Knock Down would either have her go ice weaknesses or fish for melee crits, and the name that alludes me is the aggressive tactic that would see her do nothing but hurl out Bufula/dyne.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sydin posted:

She's mostly just big numbers magic damage which is fine. Also her second theurgy is ridiculous because it does huge damage and inflicts debilitate. But yeah her characteristic seems to exist mostly to make Junpei even more of a crit machine.

Theurgy 2 is cool but she doesn't recharge it fast enough for full uptime, so it's usually just a bonus rather than an asset.

I feel like I need to tinker with Junpei's second theurgy because despite his low Magic it seems to actually do decent damage.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
by the end of the game she can put out numbers with even a concentrateless single target severe ice (whatever its called, i cant remember) that she puts in fair work. there's also a number of ice boost equipment for her that stack with her ice amp.

honestly i did not notice any companion weaknesses since i had built my MC to mulch entire groups with physicals

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like I need to tinker with Junpei's second theurgy because despite his low Magic it seems to actually do decent damage.

i think it has a much better base power than other theurgies to make up for it being a single target magic attack on the guy with the worst magic stat. It's listed as Massive damage instead of Severe like most theurgies which tracks.

makes me wonder whether you could do something real dumb by just stuffing junpei full of magic incense and using yukari's concentrate thing to buff it

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I’ve always found the effects of stats in the Persona games to only really matter up to a point. Like being below a certain threshold causes your damage to drop off a ton, but being over it doesn’t matter that much. So in theory you could just slide enough incenses to get his MA to what Yukari or Mitsuru have naturally and get an uber fire attack out of the deal.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
i want stux to stop by this thread to explain why he thinks p3 is better than both p2 games (unquestionably the best)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
January now and I don't think I'll be able to max out all the SLs:

Kenji (rank 7)
Mitsuru (rank 9)
Chihiro (rank 7)
Mamoru (rank 8)
Aigis (not started)

Mamoru will be finished on Sundays so I'm not too worried about him, but it'll take 18 days to get everyone done including Aigis, and I know there's a Junpei hang-out day and probably gonna be an extra scene or two like the group talking about Strega.

Maybe I'll max out Aigis and leave Kenji twisting in the wind, still deluded into thinking he's gonna marry his teacher.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

euroshopper posted:

i want stux to stop by this thread to explain why he thinks p3 is better than both p2 games (unquestionably the best)

gently caress YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

euroshopper posted:

Hm, I think you should die.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

P2 is pretty win tho.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In Reload do the SEES members still pick their own skills or do you to pick which skills they keep and which they toss?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would also like my friend Stux to stop by so I stand with Euroshopper

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

YggiDee posted:

In Reload do the SEES members still pick their own skills or do you to pick which skills they keep and which they toss?

you pick, and there's also like a hookah parlour or something where you can go to relearn old skills for them

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can only imagine the mess that Koromaru’s final skill set would look like if you couldn’t pick skills in Reload.

I think my endgame for him is gonna look something like:

Eigaon
Maeigaon
Maragidyne
Curse Amp
Debilitate
Revolution
Getsu-ei

Last slot is gonna be a tossup between Fire Amp, Masukukaja, or Soul Shift. Might even drop Maeigaon.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I usually drop elemental AOE's on my party members if I have the option because the MC can simply hit way harder with them in the situations you'd want them. Especially with the addition of the Shift mechanic, it's easy to pass actions around and spread out SP usage. I especially wish I had that option in the PS2 versions since originally Once More only activated off of AOE if it struck the weakness of every enemy, so they could often be detrimental to use.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Arist posted:

I really don't think the "College/Adult Persona" thing is ever gonna happen, it just seems much less relevant to the target audience and core fantasy of the series and I have doubts the calendar system would even really translate to a university or workplace setting.
You could pull a page from Stephen King's IT and have the final Golden/Royal chapter take place after a 27-year timeskip instead of January/February.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I hope something like Theurgy is a mechanic going forward I really like it

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It basically replaced the Ultimate Persona skills from the later games, like Dragon Hustle. Can’t use them on demand but you get them way earlier.

P3R also lacks the paired attacks/showtimes that P4G or P5R had, and doesn’t have follow-up attacks from teammates either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Adult Akihiko cooks and eats with his gloves on.

(Trinity Soul isn't the worst thing, but it's very skippable. And the Persona element is arguably the weakest part).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Adult Akihiko cooks and eats with his gloves on.

(Trinity Soul isn't the worst thing, but it's very skippable. And the Persona element is arguably the weakest part).

TBH I completely forgot this anime and how I watched it before playing P3 original so I was even more lost than normal back then :v:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the only thing i know from trinity soul is the carpet song

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I really liked how in the remake they kept the Amada and Shinji stuff until when the confrontation actually happened, when I originally played the PSP version I felt like they played much in cutscenes and undercut it.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I have to say, I'm disappointed that they opted to use 3D full motion video for a lot of the more dramatic scenes in Reload that were 2D anime cutscenes in the PS2 versions of Persona 3. The art could definitely be rough in the older versions, and it's not like the new scenes look bad by any means, but the anime scenes during the dark hour were stylized in a way that just looked so much better and hit way harder. Also RIP to Yukari's mullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can I sell my old weapons and armor guilt free?