Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also if it were bgp, wouldn't wi-fi calling not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Beeftweeter posted:

wouldn't the problem being bgp mean at&t-to-at&t calls would work fine

also do cell services even use bgp?

Beeftweeter posted:

i dunno! that’s a good point. boy am i glad i don’t work on anything where bgp is a core, critical functional requirement.

oh

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

not a networking person but I would expect wifi calling to be routed differently since the initial connection would be coming from whichever isp the internet service is coming from

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
phone to tower does not use IP or BGP so far as I know

tower to tower probably uses IP but I don't know enough to guess if it uses BGP

tower to internet or internet to tower (any time you are entering or leaving AT&T's private network) definitely uses BGP, so wifi calls are probably broken

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

haveblue posted:

so wifi calls are probably broken

everything I've seen on this calls out wifi calling as a workaround

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my understanding so far seems to place the issue at peering between the towers and the larger att network

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Fool posted:

everything I've seen on this calls out wifi calling as a workaround

hmm ok. but is this an official AT&T position or dumb assholes guessing wildly (mlmp)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't think att has said anything officially outside of admitting there was a service issue

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

WiFi calling works for me, I’m affected by the att outage

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
thinking about putting ¡whoops! on a tshirt

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm not necessarily arguing that humans have souls, or that there's anything non-physical going on in the human brain and body. i believe, as a purely theoretical matter of principle, that it should be possible to faithfully simulate a human being using a machine. but i don't think that machine would be anything like a von neumann computer, or that we have the faintest idea of how to even begin constructing such a machine, or that we will in the foreseeable future

A lot of companies try to make money by saying that a computer is exactly like a human brain so who can say if it's true or not

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

A lot of companies try to make money by saying that a computer is exactly like a human brain so who can say if it's true or not

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eW8XoovSlsM

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ss7

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

thinking about putting ¡whoops! on a tshirt

make it this one and you've got a sale

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

haveblue posted:

hmm ok. but is this an official AT&T position or dumb assholes guessing wildly (mlmp)

worksforme and i'm on an at&t mvno

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Fool posted:

my understanding so far seems to place the issue at peering between the towers and the larger att network

yeah, but apparently peering between at&t and other carriers is broken too

although i just tried wifi calling from verizon. 5g predictably didn't work, but it almost never does here anyway, so that's no proof of anything really. if i weren't on a nearly free plan with the mvno i would've dropped it like a hot potato half a year ago

e: that is, 5g verizon -> at&t wifi. at&t's 5g doesn't work reliably enough here on a normal day to even test it

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 22, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
no issues with t-mobile here either btw, i have all 3 major carriers to play with lol

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
https://twitter.com/stratejake/status/1760333904857497650

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

DALL-E has gone woke???

e: I'm taking "Salvador DALL-E" to the cyberpunk names thread.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

the anti-wokes are absolutely frothing over this because it'll also (sometimes) refuse to create pictures of white people, saying that it can't perpetuate stereotypes that may be included in the training data etc. but the same prompt works for other ethnicities

i mean, i'm all for woke chatbots and whatnot but this seems kinda bad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

DALL-E has gone woke???

e: I'm taking "Salvador DALL-E" to the cyberpunk names thread.

it's some new google thing, not dall-e https://arstechnica.com/information...ccurate-images/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah the problem isn't that it drew a nonwhite guy, the problem is that google seems to be silently inserting "also make sure he's not white!" into certain classes of prompts

e: lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also more like "el salvador dall-e" am i right

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

haveblue posted:

yeah the problem isn't that it drew a nonwhite guy, the problem is that google seems to be silently inserting "also make sure he's not white!" into certain classes of prompts

Tremendous job with the swastika on the black nazi's helmet

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

:kiss:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh my god lmao this is going to melt so many chud brains

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

like its obviously not RIGHT but idk, I kinda feel like on average its less wrong

edit: oh maybe thats what we're all agreeing on here? idk maybe i'm not grokking the zeitgeist rn

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

like its obviously not RIGHT but idk, I kinda feel like on average its less wrong

i feel like its pretty wrong.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

colors of benetton rear end panzer division

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

haveblue posted:

Forget all I ever said about AIs, they’re actually great.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh my god they actually made some "woke nazis", lmao indeed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
good ol' infinite pile o' jank

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

edit: oh maybe thats what we're all agreeing on here? idk maybe i'm not grokking the zeitgeist rn

it's not wrong to try and expand the scope of diversity representation in its images, but it is definitely wrong to say "here's an historically accurate picture of a medieval british king" and show a black guy or multiracial nazis, etc.

it refusing to make white people pictures sometimes is just icing on the cake, but that of course is going to lead to some significant backlash from the type of people you'd expect to get whipped into a frenzy about an already decommissioned image generator trying to force "woke" on them

like, this is accidentally confirming their worst fears. it's bad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

its less wrong

oh, you're one of those

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

infernal machines posted:

oh, you're one of those

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

word spreads fast...

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if anything i think the hamilton guy, and not joe biden, should get credit for that particular one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this mf easily claims the quad