Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

BitBasher posted:

The catch is, it's not your ship either! There's a finite combination of ship names. You're probably not the one controlling it the whole time, that's the Democracy Officer. They just load all of your stuff into a ship with the name that you pick to not the other way around!

The Democracy Officer is really in charge, the fact that you think it's your ship is the illusion!

No its still your ship, the Democracy Officer can just take control whenever. Thats called Managed Individualism.

Its also why your clones have different voices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

jokes posted:

How do you, like, receive helldivers lore? Is there a wiki or something?

Super Earth literally has a Ministry of Truth. Get your information from them.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dyz posted:

No its still your ship, the Democracy Officer can just take control whenever. Thats called Managed Individualism.

Its also why your clones have different voices!

The democracy officer has done an amazing job of convincing you of that! Continue believing, citizen!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Unnecessarily diving to the ground to line up Railgun shots just cause it looks and feels cool

A Minds Escape
Jun 8, 2013

ABORT! EJECT!!
Holy poo poo I never thought about the ship being the main character before. I think I love the game even more now.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really don't get why people would ever think there were clones in this game.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really don't get why people would ever think there were clones in this game.

Probably because you can set it so that every time you respond you have an identical voice? That heavily implies clones are an option.

... That or an implant that just makes you perceive things that way...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Clones with some sort of knowledge transfer would also explain why Helldiver #200 from the Dawn of Democracy is a way better fighter than Helldiver #1 who just got out of boot camp.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

BitBasher posted:

Probably because you can set it so that every time you respond you have an identical voice? That heavily implies clones are an option.

... That or an implant that just makes you perceive things that way...

Or perhaps they want to appease the diaper wearing Gamers who would flip out having to use a female character.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Alkydere posted:

Clones with some sort of knowledge transfer would also explain why Helldiver #200 from the Dawn of Democracy is a way better fighter than Helldiver #1 who just got out of boot camp.

I assure you, I am not improving with time

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bloopsy posted:

Or perhaps they want to appease the diaper wearing Gamers who would flip out having to use a female character.

lmao Ive encountered 2 so far!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, even if you go in with the goal to use them primarily/exclusively against the specific targets weak to explosive damage, it still very much doesn't seem worth it because they're not even very good at that.

I killed hulks in like 3 shots from behind with the scorcher.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

FYI whoever said you didnt need to extract to get samples thats apparently not the case anymore. Lost a ton of rare samples because my team was too cowardly to wait 10 seconds to extract :argh:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
For lorehounds:

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1759551906668540153?t=q7k3bkYztte3J8e5aayHCQ&s=19

Has anyone compiled all the in-world lore drops yet?

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah divers ain't clones, there's a lore piece about format for the letters they sent when you die, you know, like "dear Mr and Ms *blank*, we regret to inform you that *blank* died gloriously protecting democracy on planet *blank*.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Phenotype posted:

Sure, sure, someone else mentioned that too, but like -- it doesn't seem like a single AI Skynet that's just building warmachines, it seems like they are specifically producing T-600 skeleton bots and then outfitting them with tanks and rocket packs and armor and whatever. To me, it seems like a sign that they're more of an actual civilization with a culture and everything. If it was just a race of killbots that want to kill stuff, they wouldn't be beholden to the T-600 look, they'd just churn out whatever giant tanks and walkers and stuff a robot brain inside the armor. But no, they're reproducing more of themselves, they're not just creating whatever killer robots would work best, just like we reproduce more humans and generally aren't creating enormous fleshy hulks with a brain inside.

Well they have a marching song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5SriuojRA8

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My headcanon is the robots are people who make ai art because they are uncreative and stupid

So we must fight them for democracy

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Deofuta posted:

In another timeline this could have been the best version of the EVE Online infantry combat game. Helldivers playing the part of ground based capsuleers that have their consciousness transition from clone to clone as they plummet down to the battlefield.

Please don't make me think of DUST 514, I haven't recovered emotionally yet.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/El_Swanie/status/1760612141936058371

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Alehkhs posted:

For lorehounds:

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1759551906668540153?t=q7k3bkYztte3J8e5aayHCQ&s=19

Has anyone compiled all the in-world lore drops yet?

This makes me want a roguelike feature where you have a persistent character you can progress that disappears permanently when you die.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good news, in this game when you die you're dead!

(I'm joking. I understand what you mean.)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Owl Inspector posted:

Every reinforce giving you a random voice is such a great touch that really sells how you aren’t respawning, you’re just controlling a different sacrifice to the altar of imperialism HERO OF SUPER EARTH who has a shelf life of 90 seconds

Yeah, now they need to add more voices, more languages. I want my Helldivers occasionally yelling in French, German, Spanish and other languages.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Each character has a hundred levels they can accumulate across various skills like accuracy and stamina that significantly improve performance and get discarded to start over every time you die.

The stats do nothing, but good luck surviving long enough to figure that out.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
A checkbox for toxic player mode to activate it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was doing some solo commando poo poo and was closing outposts when all 3 of the rest of the team got immediately killed. I looked back and saw a gigantic explosion in the distance so I think I knew what happened

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what’s the point of the machine gun sentry compared to gatling?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Owl Inspector posted:

I bring both, but I’m early yet and don’t have a ton of options. Still, twice the sentries or a sentry twice as often is great!

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

jokes posted:

How do you, like, receive helldivers lore? Is there a wiki or something?

The person running their TikTok account is absolutely killing it with distributing propaganda (lore)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Your character is more likely a teenager too going by the opening message

So just a big ol box of teeangers for hurled into hell for freedom

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Owl Inspector posted:

takes longer to burn through its ammo and you can bring both for more dakka

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Owl Inspector posted:

Once they run out of ammo, they're done. The machine gun lasts longer because it doesn't waste as many shots, but it does less raw DPS. I like the gatling because the gatling can do some WORK against bigger dudes but I'm probably going to end up using machine gun more.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

BitBasher posted:

The catch is, it's not your ship either! There's a finite combination of ship names. You're probably not the one controlling it the whole time, that's the Democracy Officer. They just load all of your stuff into a ship with the name that you pick to not the other way around!

The Democracy Officer is really in charge, the fact that you think it's your ship is the illusion!

My theory: None of them are completely in charge.

The Ship Master is in charge of running and controlling the ship, and if things go awry can take control of everything. The Democracy Officer is there to make sure there's no treason/traitors aboard; particularly the Helldiver, and is there to guide everyone closer towards Super Earth's political philosophy and current goals. Both of them are there to babysit the Helldivers but if there's a disagreement between the Ship Master and the Democracy Officer it could go either way.

If you've ever played the tabletop RPG Paranoia, I'm very much reminded of that. It has everyone following the will of Dear Computer; players have a 6-pack of clones to replace them should they die, and various players are certain specific officers, and ALL of the players are looking for traitors (while most of them are secretly influenced by or spreading treasonous propaganda).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Owl Inspector posted:

Your teammates stand a better chance of not getting hit by the MG sentry when it sweeps across them to kill the little bug right next to them.

(It is also a fair bit more ammo efficient in exchange for having less DPS).

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, now they need to add more voices, more languages. I want my Helldivers occasionally yelling in French, German, Spanish and other languages.

drat this is a great idea

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gone Fashing posted:

def, this would rule

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A militant frenchman shouting about democracy would be fantastic

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
No way all those other languages are dissident filth

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gone Fashing posted:

It’s wrong because there’s only one language of super earth and that’s democracy

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

BitBasher posted:

but we control where the ship goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

but we control where the ship goes!

Sure - to a place where an active war is. You can't go anywhere, just to another war.

You're picking your bedtime - you get choice, but you're going to sleep.