Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

I’ve worn plain white undershirts under everything since I was in my teens because I sweat profusely and I live in moistland (Florida). Nobody wants to see a sweaty shirt and while my undershirts may start to get dark under the pits after several uses, my other shirts don’t.

People can think what they want, I don’t care. I stand by my undershirts. Also, even though I’m a sweaty American, I’m no fat slob, I’ve run 2 marathons and I have another coming up this fall. I just sweat a lot. :shrug:

Much of the US exists south of the 35th parallel, which is also where Euro land ends and North Africa begins. It’s hot (in parts of) here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Under t shirt here. V necks I don’t care for. And yeah you can’t do anything physical while wearing an Oxford or button up shirt without something underneath is going to be pit stain city, which is always super obvious and kills any professional look. You can have sleeves rolled up, hand covered with filth and dirt on your head and look more professional than a clean pressed outfit with pit stains.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tnuctip posted:

You can have sleeves rolled up, hand covered with filth and dirt on your head and look more professional than a clean pressed outfit with pit stains.

It's funny, isn't it? Show up covered in oil and you're a manly man who just got done with manly work. Show up shiny and dripping, and you're an unprofessional slob.

Though also, I think we're also ignoring the real losers of the undershirt battle here: the absolute unequivocal social requirement that women in the office wear a bra. We guys could go on debating our undies for days, but go bouncing around the office and you'd legit run the risk of HR calling you into a 1:1 meeting about professional attire / how you present yourself. I do not think it'd be considered acceptable for more than a one-off thing in literally anywhere I've ever worked.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

priznat posted:

I like when they only tell you the password requirements after your initial try entering the same password twice.

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's another thing. I tried changing my password through the windows ctrl alt del screen, tried a few different passwords, and was told none of them met the minimum requirements. After talking to IT it turns out that I had to go to a separate internal website to change my password and that's where I finally saw the new requirements, and the only reason all the other passwords I tried didn't work was because of the 15 character minimum

This may or may not be related to the problem that you ran into, but the Active Directory error message shown to the user for "your new password matches one of your previous passwords" erroneously states that "your new password does not meet complexity requirements."

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Much of the US exists south of the 35th parallel, which is also where Euro land ends and North Africa begins. It’s hot (in parts of) here!

Spain, famously cold

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 22, 2024

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Corporate Megathread: gently caress Jeff.

I feel honored and I'm glad you liked the story. It felt really good inside to be an rear end in a top hat to 'the man'.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On a work trip and we all went out to quite the fancy restaurant and I reflexively try not to order anything expensive I gotta break myself of this habit!! Especially when I won’t be the one filing the expense report.

My coworker on another team said “wow you are really on the tres commas project” lol

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

~Coxy posted:

This may or may not be related to the problem that you ran into, but the Active Directory error message shown to the user for "your new password matches one of your previous passwords" erroneously states that "your new password does not meet complexity requirements."

I believe it does the same if you try to change your password too soon after the last change.

Also a word on password chat: the security thinking has moved into pass phrases over pass words, and it's way easier. Also password rotation is obsolete, they shouldn't expire, and MFA everything.
For example, most password requirements are 3/4 from uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and symbols. We all know things about our lives and regular human sentences are easier for us to type than weird crypto poo poo, so pick something you know.
Supposing you have a fluffy cat named Max, "MycatMaxisfluffy!" is a regular easy sentence to type, 17 characters, and satisfies the 3/4 requirement. If you have a 4/4 requirement or frequent password expiration just toss a number at the end and increment it as necessary.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Silly Newbie posted:

Also a word on password chat: the security thinking has moved into pass phrases over pass words, and it's way easier. Also password rotation is obsolete, they shouldn't expire, and MFA everything.

Lucky you. Our IT guy wants to move everyone to passwordless (fingerprint/face login).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Yeah our passwords have to be something like 20+ characters but they only rotate once a year, the logic here is that if you rotate often then everybody just adds a 1,2,3 increment to the end of their 9 character one so it's minimal change so forcing a longer one that you dont change often is better against brute force attacks.

You can still just add 1,2, 3 at the end though.

e: neither method is proof against getting hit in the legs with a 2x4 until you hand it over.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 22, 2024

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Corporate Megathread: gently caress Jeff.

Heyyy remember when I posted about that prick manager who said I was performing great and paid me a bonus then a fortnight later sacked me and stole my severance pay so I lawyered up, threatened to sue him and he had to pay me what he stole, plus interest and some of the legal fees? Guess his first name!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

So, uh, how is this nationwide cell service failure (at least AT&T and possibly some others) going to affect everyone’s work? I’m in Nashville for work with no service and have connected through WiFi, but I have to drive to KY and would hope there’s no issues getting from place to place. At least I believe I can use Google maps in offline mode. I have a work iPad that connects through AT&T that also has no service. I have to do a presentation with that later today and either hope that cell service comes back or I can find a useable WiFi.

How is a multiple hour (per news reports started at ~4am) nationwide cell service failure a thing that can happen in 2024?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Op needs a map.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cacafuego posted:

How is a multiple hour (per news reports started at ~4am) nationwide cell service failure a thing that can happen in 2024?
Friend this isn't even the first time it's happened in the last three years. T-Mobile shat the bed nationwide in the US not too terribly long ago.
I found this out because I was using my phone at the time to look at private-time images and as soon as a download had finished, my phone poo poo itself. Cue me making GBS threads myself, going "oh lord, its finally happened, I done gave my phone a virus :cry:" and doing full antivirus and malwarebytes and the like scans on my poor phone. It turned out to be because of some core OS file that T-Mobile had hosed up and couldn't just un-gently caress because who knows why, but the timing could not have been more perfect.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 22, 2024

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Come to think of it, the dude at a prior job who loved to embarrass me by copying every manager in creation when he pointed out mistakes in my reports was named Jeff too!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cacafuego posted:

So, uh, how is this nationwide cell service failure (at least AT&T and possibly some others) going to affect everyone’s work? I’m in Nashville for work with no service and have connected through WiFi, but I have to drive to KY and would hope there’s no issues getting from place to place. At least I believe I can use Google maps in offline mode. I have a work iPad that connects through AT&T that also has no service. I have to do a presentation with that later today and either hope that cell service comes back or I can find a useable WiFi.

how does an adult not find wifi in 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

FAUXTON posted:

My job doesn't allow us to use wifi. I'm told that it used to once upon a time but someone massively abused the privilege and even ten years later it is still a non-starter in pay/amenity negotiations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My job doesn't allow us to use wifi. I'm told that it used to once upon a time but someone massively abused the privilege and even ten years later it is still a non-starter in pay/amenity negotiations.

The cell network they are relying on has an outage. If you bring that point up with whoever even asks you about your use of wifi, they might see it differently.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Just the other day, I did a presentation from a rural research site and the room I was in was not covered by their WiFi for some reason, but I had cell service. Their internal WiFi network apparently worked back there, but the guest access one didn’t and they wouldn’t allow me to use the internal one. :shrug: while it may seem crazy it happens sometimes

Bill Brasky
Apr 13, 2008

gently caress Jeff

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Renegret posted:

Maybe like 6-7 years ago I overheard a manager using the word "bucketize" to refer to siloing responsibilities across departments. My idiot broken brain internalized this like a captain crunch commercial.

My director is a Navy vet. Maybe once a month or so I have this intrusive thought to yell BUCKETIZE ME CAPTAIN and it's showing no sign of going away.

This post and thread title nearly caused me to crack in a meeting yesterday.

"...we want to bucketize these hours and get better clarity on :words:
[...]
....did I just make up bucketize?"

Intrusive thoughts: bucketize me, captain

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm really excited for the incoming announcement at my company in about a month.

Our new SVP of MVNO engineering with previous experience at AT&T....

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One of the major telcos in Canada had a massive cell service outage in the summer and it affected a lot of stuff you wouldn’t think it would like wifi hotspots and point of sales.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This appears to be a RAN issue (radio access network) only. I bet my corporate overlords at Ericsson are having a lovey day.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I never know how many people this meme ever makes sense to or even where it came from but:

Foreverially bucketised, fully siloed and loving it.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Lol the hubby works at ericcson in R&D. I'll ask him if he's heard anything about it from folks on the corporate/service side.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Spain, famously cold

parts of the US: hotter than Clint beneath several layers of fur

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
My wife wants to increase her hours at the hospital. Goes to her manager, has a good chat and tells her to email the request so it’s in writing and can get it approved. She had kept her hours shorter to help with the kiddo, has had great reviews the last two years. The department also struggles to hire more folks to keep up with churn. Should be plenty of availability to go back to full time.

Two days later, replies with a terse “sorry, we can’t do it. Ask your scheduler for more hours.” She’s now spending the rest of the day looking for a different job instead being happy to have the comfort of the promised increase in hours (and pay)

gently caress Jeff!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Somebody up the chain told him no.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Quackles posted:

Lucky you. Our IT guy wants to move everyone to passwordless (fingerprint/face login).

I am the IT guy and would love for everyone to move to passwordless. I offer it as an option and use it myself and it's so much easier.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
gently caress Jeff’s boss!

The trust is gone anyway, a decent boss would have at least pulled her aside and apologized after making such a promise. Nope, just an email and then dodging her all day

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

gently caress Geoff.

Nybble posted:

gently caress Jeff’s boss!

The trust is gone anyway, a decent boss would have at least pulled her aside and apologized after making such a promise. Nope, just an email and then dodging her all day
Its amazing how people that a deathly afraid of confronting people with bad news end up as managers. gently caress Jeff and his boss.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I signed up to be a mentor because I thought it would be interesting plus it's CPD or whatever, they assigned three people to it as a group which I actually like as an idea.

Set up the intro, one cancels at the last minute, the other two hadn't read the handbook or done the "homework", good start.

One of the bits the guidance said to do in advance was a diversity/identity dimension profile and mine is like if you went into Oblivion and clicked "default character model, easy mode". Straight white male, university degree, no disabilities, lol.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its amazing how people that a deathly afraid of confronting people with bad news end up as managers. gently caress Jeff and his boss.

Senior managers don't like being told bad news ever, so it's a selection mechanism.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Quackles posted:

Pull out your camera and ask him where the DPIA is for that. I want to see his face.

Silly Newbie posted:

I am the IT guy and would love for everyone to move to passwordless. I offer it as an option and use it myself and it's so much easier.
Oh hey, post your reaction.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Pull out your camera and ask him where the DPIA is for that. I want to see his face.

Oh hey, post your reaction.

https://ico.org.uk/media/about-the-ico/disclosure-log/2023/4026836/dpia-windows-hello-29102019.pdf

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Passwords are objectively bad

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the poo poo right there :flashfap:. The last paragraph of Section 1.2 is where the real fun lies, before every user has to read another 17 pages before ticking the "nope" box and ruining your week.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I signed up to be a mentor because I thought it would be interesting plus it's CPD or whatever, they assigned three people to it as a group which I actually like as an idea.

Set up the intro, one cancels at the last minute, the other two hadn't read the handbook or done the "homework", good start.

One of the bits the guidance said to do in advance was a diversity/identity dimension profile and mine is like if you went into Oblivion and clicked "default character model, easy mode". Straight white male, university degree, no disabilities, lol.

No disability? Since when did you get cured of epilepsy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arquinsiel posted:

That's the poo poo right there :flashfap:. The last paragraph of Section 1.2 is where the real fun lies, before every user has to read another 17 pages before ticking the "nope" box and ruining your week.

I'm exclusively stateside and none of that applies.
That being said, if someone checks the "no" box they just don't push the button on their computers for "use biometrics" and instead use a PIN, which is both in the text and also how we do it.
I wasn't even talking about Windows Hello when talking about passwordless, I was talking about phone sign on, which collects no personal information and just uses the MS Authenticator.

Edit - just saw that the original post specified fingerprint/face when they said passwordless, missed that the first time. It's handy but I absolutely would not require it and it's not what I was talking about.