Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Lol

Why would you hire the Underworld guy

Sexy lady with guns kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Lost me at Len Wiseman.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I like them tbh.

i'm brave enough to say they wrote many good songs. i'll say it out loud.

muscles like this! posted:

It is kind of weird out of all the characters in Borderlands they decided to have Krieg be one of the main characters of the movie. Also his actor (Florian Munteanu) doesn't get credited even though everyone else does.

his name was on the poster that has the characters all sitting on boxes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shageletic posted:

They made the alien do the Dreamworks smile??

Marketing departments have no originality, no imagination and probably no souls. Movie's actually pretty good though.

It is kind of weird out of all the characters in Borderlands they decided to have Krieg be one of the main characters of the movie. Also his actor (Florian Munteanu) doesn't get credited even though everyone else does.

Wait, really? Though kinda makes sense, the oh-so-wacky masked Psychos are outright the series mascots and Krieg's whole deal is that he's a playable one.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 22, 2024

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1760455935237980445?t=-pUiNMCJFQS0iuObnjGixw&s=19
Really surprised this is finally coming out after all the false starts and resets.

There's the meme of Sean Bean always dying in his movies but Bill Skarsgard has a really high fatality rate in his films too. At least he comes back to life in The Crow?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Bill skar is playing against type by wearing white makeup and not scaring children

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Alan Smithee posted:

Bill skar is playing against type by wearing white makeup and not scaring children

Psyche, the gang that killed Eric Draven is portrayed by the Loser kids from It 1.

They'd probably be old enough by now, too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would put all of the money in the world on the post-credits for Borderlands being a Handsome Jack reveal

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Really going hard on making people think of Guardians of thr Galaxy.

Not the first time I've seen someone make that comparison. And one I definitely won't disagree with it.

Considering how long it has been in development it makes sense.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would put all of the money in the world on the post-credits for Borderlands being a Handsome Jack reveal

I honestly thought the guy with the coat was him, but I'm most definitely wrong. The plot appears to be mostly BL1. But half the characters are from BL2 so are they going to borrow bits from that too? v:v:v

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Makes sense that Borderlands is similar to Guardians though.

Mad Max -> Farscape - > Guardians Of The Galaxy
Mad Max -> Borderlands

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I assume the movie will follow the basics of BL1’s plot but clearly they are taking liberties with the characters

When I think ‘who should play Roland’, the last person would be Kevin Hart. From what i remember that character was pretty much the definition of the ‘straight man’.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Should have been Terry Crews or Michael Jai White

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Always should be Michael jai white

Man needs another big role.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Always should be Michael jai white

Man needs another big role.

And he has incredible comedy chops! Black Dynamite!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Sexy lady with guns kill people.

I've seen Wiseman's efforts there. It's only his forte in the sense that he's done it a fair bit. He isn't good at it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I hate The Beatles

Whoa whoa settle down there Allen Sherman, people aren’t ready for truth bombs like this

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Well, if you want to see Bill Skarsgård kill people...

Boy Kills World trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDWQorTluFs

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The budget for Joker: Folie a Deux is $200 million, the first one's budget was $60 million

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/warner-bros-spending-joker-2-budget-tom-cruise-deal-1235917640/

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gotta spend money to make money.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

galagazombie posted:

Movie should end with the SNL reunion concert actually happening, ushering in a new golden age ala the ending of Gladiator.

God, that reminded me of the existence of that VH1 movie about John and Paul hanging out and hashing out their issues on the same night when Lorne made that offer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Gotta spend money to make embezzle money.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tars Tarkas posted:

The budget for Joker: Folie a Deux is $200 million, the first one's budget was $60 million

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/warner-bros-spending-joker-2-budget-tom-cruise-deal-1235917640/

Jesus, I hope Phoenix and Gaga got $75 million each, otherwise that's just insane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I know at some point in past eras of movie history the general perception of a sequel was that it would make as much or less than the original, but typically not more. So you were milking a success and trying to get every last drop out of it, but with the understanding that there would naturally be diminishing returns.

I'm curious when that started to change where now the original is supposed to be like the launch point for a sequel to explode at the box office and make much bigger money, therefore we can justify a much bigger budget. Someone with a better knowledge of film history would have to go over that whole dynamic and how it morphed into what it is now. Maybe Aliens and Terminator 2 were a turning point?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

High Warlord Zog posted:

John Wick is basically urban fantasy with the werewolves, vampires and fairies swapped out for gangsters, assassins and aristocrats.

Knowing Chad's background it might be be because (theorising here) he has a reputation for treating his stunt teams well.

It’s probably about time for John Wick to start hunting werewolves, isn’t it?

Or space, he’s overdue to go to outer space.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Basebf555 posted:

I know at some point in past eras of movie history the general perception of a sequel was that it would make as much or less than the original, but typically not more. So you were milking a success and trying to get every last drop out of it, but with the understanding that there would naturally be diminishing returns.

I'm curious when that started to change where now the original is supposed to be like the launch point for a sequel to explode at the box office and make much bigger money, therefore we can justify a much bigger budget. Someone with a better knowledge of film history would have to go over that whole dynamic and how it morphed into what it is now. Maybe Aliens and Terminator 2 were a turning point?

I think horror movies were the origin of this. Friday the 13th had its budget doubled. Nightmare on Elm Street had it tripled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean they clearly had a rough cut of the film and Stahelski saw it and was like "uhhhh nope, no way this weak action is gonna be attached to my name, we're reshooting it".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

It's been a gradual thing, I think. The James Bond films are the first time I can really pin down where they'd really work to outdo each previous one in terms of scale. Jumping ahead I think Rocky III and IV were both clearly meant to be "the last one" but they made so much drat money that there had to be another. At this point home video starts to become a factor, people who missed the first in theaters might catch it at home and be interested in a sequel that way. Streaming makes the gap even smaller and that's around the time "cinematic universes" become a thing every studio is trying to do.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Star Wars was the seismic change. The Empire Strikes Back had double the budget of ANH because with the first film everyone thought it would flop and it was given a smaller budget than Lucas's ambitions required, but with ESB it was a surefire hit and Lucas secured the funding himself and paid out of pocket when the bank cut them off. Lucas consciously avoided just repeating the first movie's formula and opened the world up to feel like there was more to explore than just a desert planet and a space station and a jungle planet. The scale was on a totally different level than Bond because it was fantasy worldbuilding where anything was possible. Bond was also a hit, but a very modest one in comparison to the industry-breaking sensation that was Star Wars.

Before that, the best you had for sequels which didn't just repeat the formula was the Planet of the Apes movies which continued to be beloved by fans as they got weirder and weirder while their budgets dwindled. They got richer in thematic scope, but smaller in production scope. But they were increasingly ignored by audiences.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 22, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe T2, but Aliens only made about $4M more than Alien. Basically underperformed the original when you factor in inflation.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

They've name dropped One from the Heart as an inspiration. At least they're committing to the spend a potentially studio crippling amount of money part.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 23, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

Those are the first two big examples I can think of but even after them I don't think the general trend changed. I think it's really only with comic book movies, in particular the Raimi Spider Man movies, that it started to turn more generally

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe T2, but Aliens only made about $4M more than Alien. Basically underperformed the original when you factor in inflation.

go figure, it's so much more of a crowd pleaser I just assumed he was right. but i think there are two different questions here - when did sequel budgets get bigger, which yeah I think clearly started with Star Wars even if it wasn't consistent for a long time, and when did they start regularly outgrossing the first movie, which was WAY later.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 23, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tars Tarkas posted:

Boy Kills World trailer

Lmao is that h jon Benjamin voicing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

High Warlord Zog posted:

They've name dropped One from the Heart as a inspiration. At least they're committing to the spend a potentially studio crippling amount of money part.

Just watched the remaster of this in the theatre. It looked interesting but the story absolutely sucks rear end.

Also, I love Tom Waits but that was slightly too much Tom Waits

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Lmao is that h jon Benjamin voicing

It is and it is awesome

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Tars Tarkas posted:

Boy Kills World trailer

Might be fun

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Star Wars was the seismic change. The Empire Strikes Back had double the budget of ANH because with the first film everyone thought it would flop and it was given a smaller budget than Lucas's ambitions required, but with ESB it was a surefire hit and Lucas secured the funding himself and paid out of pocket when the bank cut them off. Lucas consciously avoided just repeating the first movie's formula and opened the world up to feel like there was more to explore than just a desert planet and a space station and a jungle planet. The scale was on a totally different level than Bond because it was fantasy worldbuilding where anything was possible. Bond was also a hit, but a very modest one in comparison to the industry-breaking sensation that was Star Wars.

Before that, the best you had for sequels which didn't just repeat the formula was the Planet of the Apes movies which continued to be beloved by fans as they got weirder and weirder while their budgets dwindled. They got richer in thematic scope, but smaller in production scope. But they were increasingly ignored by audiences.

That would explain it. The first thing that came to mind for me was Lord of the Rings, which is a bit of a special case given it's an adaptation, but then again notable as previous adaptations of the trilogy usually had a very obvious lowering of budget as they went on if they even got that far, while Peter Jackson's Return of the King both was a box office splash and an Academy sweep, something still unheard of in fantasy genre movies let alone adaptations I'm pretty sure.

I suppose there's a couple of different schools of thought with sequels; with an original that's a smash hit, you go with a 'safe' sequel while you already have all the ingredients there and keep milking it til diminishing returns hit, but then with the more serialised ones I think it's often a more unexpected success, going 'Hey, I think we've really got something here' and the sequels are a refinement and expansion of the formula rather than just a rehash, Mad Max coming to mind here where the original is actually seen as the oddball in the series and the sequels are what everyone thinks of with the signature aesthetics and tone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Jesus, I hope Phoenix and Gaga got $75 million each, otherwise that's just insane.
I think Phoenix is making $20 something mil and Gaga is getting $12 mil

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That would explain it. The first thing that came to mind for me was Lord of the Rings, which is a bit of a special case given it's an adaptation, but then again notable as previous adaptations of the trilogy usually had a very obvious lowering of budget as they went on if they even got that far, while Peter Jackson's Return of the King both was a box office splash and an Academy sweep, something still unheard of in fantasy genre movies let alone adaptations I'm pretty sure.

I suppose there's a couple of different schools of thought with sequels; with an original that's a smash hit, you go with a 'safe' sequel while you already have all the ingredients there and keep milking it til diminishing returns hit, but then with the more serialised ones I think it's often a more unexpected success, going 'Hey, I think we've really got something here' and the sequels are a refinement and expansion of the formula rather than just a rehash, Mad Max coming to mind here where the original is actually seen as the oddball in the series and the sequels are what everyone thinks of with the signature aesthetics and tone.

Lord of the Rings is also a special case, because originally the books were written as a single volume and Tolkien was required by the publisher to split it into three books. So while it's technically a trilogy and more or less the originator of our modern conception of the trilogy, it was really just intended and written to be three acts of a single story. So when Jackson adapted it, he more or less pushed for the same thing—there's no real sequel involved in the entire concept, just telling a full story. Star Wars solidified the idea of a "trilogy" before Indiana Jones turned it into a thing, but only because Lucas had wanted to make 9 (or sometimes 12) movies in a series, and stopped after making 3 of them because he was burnt out after a devastating divorce.

Sequels had a bad reputation from the start. There were plenty of sequels before it, but Son of Kong really typified and solidified the problem of the sequel from early on. Son of Kong wanted to cash in on the success of the original and rushed a half-baked mediocre film into production in order to chase audience recency bias. A million similar cash-grabs followed suit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

feedmyleg posted:

Star Wars solidified the idea of a "trilogy" before Indiana Jones turned it into a thing, but only because Lucas had wanted to make 9 (or sometimes 12) movies in a series, and stopped after making 3 of them because he was burnt out after a devastating divorce.

I imagine he (and so many others after him) also underestimated how difficult and exhausting it would be to make that many movies. Has there ever been a franchise planned out like this that actually managed to pull it off and didn't end things after part 4 or fizzling out?

And please don't say Marvel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

I imagine he (and so many others after him) also underestimated how difficult and exhausting it would be to make that many movies. Has there ever been a franchise planned out like this that actually managed to pull it off and didn't end things after part 4 or fizzling out?

And please don't say Marvel!

It's pretty common with non-movie media. If anything it's funny how Hollywood in particular is so bad at long-term planning.