Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lol at the people in this thread still trying to seriously discuss it

58 pages of people dunking on Alec Baldwin

Supernerd: well actually, I feel very strongly about gun safety on movie sets, and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sure okay posted:

He lied about not pulling the trigger. Was adamant about it, in fact, and the feds managed to prove otherwise.

Feds don't like it when you lie to them!

How do feds prove the trigger was pulled in a revolver without a firing pin block or other form of safety disconnect? "The gun fired" isn't sufficient, at least for court purposes.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Blue Footed Booby posted:

How do feds prove the trigger was pulled in a revolver without a firing pin block or other form of safety disconnect? "The gun fired" isn't sufficient, at least for court purposes.

They can't. This is a gun where you're supposed to load one, skip one, then load 4 more because it's unsafe to carry 6 in it with the hammer down.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I dunno man I'm not a fed but according to the article

quote:

A report from experts in ballistics and forensic testing, commissioned by the prosecutors, said: “Although Alec Baldwin repeatedly denies pulling the trigger, given the tests, findings and observations reported here, the trigger had to be pulled or depressed sufficiently to release the fully cocked or retracted hammer of the evidence revolver.”

Prosecutors brought the new case before a grand jury in Santa Fe this week.

they seem to believe they've proved it. DAs are not in the business of bringing charges they can't back up with conviction, especially with very public cases like this. Their careers are kinda tied to winning all the time

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

That is real interesting given a firing pin rests on the primer and you don't even need to pull the trigger to set it off-just bump the back of the hammer hard enough.

Reading that quote verbatim it says they proved you need to pull the trigger to drop the hammer but it doesn't address the firing pin sitting on the primer when the hammer is down.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Big rear end On Fire posted:

That is real interesting given a firing pin rests on the primer and you don't even need to pull the trigger to set it off-just bump the back of the hammer hard enough.

Reading that quote verbatim it says they proved you need to pull the trigger to drop the hammer but it doesn't address the firing pin sitting on the primer when the hammer is down.

Alec Baldwin brought the hammer down at least on one person so far and he'll do it again if he's not stopped!!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

"I didn't pull the trigger when the gun fired" is the "I didn't inhale" of the 2020s

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

"I did nahh shoot her, it's naht true! I did naht shoot her, oh hi Mark."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

It's a movie set. People have different jobs. The armorer has the job of ensuring the props are safe to use. No way is this on the actor. They don't know what is real or fake, safe or dangerous.

If it had been a physical stunt where one actor falls onto another with a stunt coordinator arranging it all and something went wrong you'd not hold the falling actor responsible. You'd look to the stunt team for who screwed up.

Baldwin as a producer might be liable for other failings but as an actor it's not his job to understand if the gun he's holding has real cartridges or props. Hell, he probably didn't even know it was an actual firearm. I don't even understand why he was charged at all.

Sorry but that is completely bullshit. You are right that it is not the actor's job to oversee safety precautions, but your conclusion is rear end-backwards. It is absolutely the actor's job to observe that safety precautions are followed, by not doing anything stupid without the explicit go-ahead of the actual licensed security personnel. Which, a random producer yelling "cold gun" while tossing you an unsecured weapon off a random table is categorically not.

What he definitely did and should not have done was:
-accept a gun without personally seeing the armorer checking the barrel and all cylinders and test firing it to triple check that it is in fact unloaded
-pointing it at an unshielded person when it wasn't strictly necessary for the take
-pointing it at anyone at all without the supervision of a licensed armorer

Doing any one of those means you're culpable for whatever wrongful death occurs.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sorry but that is completely bullshit. You are right that it is not the actor's job to oversee safety precautions, but your conclusion is rear end-backwards. It is absolutely the actor's job to observe that safety precautions are followed, by not doing anything stupid without the explicit go-ahead of the actual licensed security personnel. Which, a random producer yelling "cold gun" while tossing you an unsecured weapon off a random table is categorically not.

-accept a gun without personally seeing the armorer checking the barrel and all cylinders and test firing it to triple check that it is in fact unloaded
-pointing it at an unshielded person when it wasn't strictly necessary for the take

Doing any one of those means you're culpable for whatever wrongful death occurs.
That seems like a lot of assumptions you made. Those are definitely good ways to be safe around guns that any trained gun-haver would probably follow, but not all actors are trained gun-havers and a safety plan that relies on the weakest link in the chain (the untrained actor) to be safe is not a very good safety plan.

It's the actor's job to follow the safety precautions that were set by whoever is in charge of safety. If there's an instruction that you can't touch a gun unless you personally saw the armorer take it out of a safe, inspect it, and test fire it, and then have the assigned director hand you the gun while yelling "cold gun" then that's what you're supposed to do. Otherwise, it's not what you're supposed to do.

If the process is that the stunt director (not the actor) needs to watch the armorer do all that, and then they hand you the gun yelling "cold gun", then it seems like it's on the stunt director and the armorer.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lol at the people in this thread still trying to seriously discuss it

58 pages of people dunking on Alec Baldwin

Supernerd: well actually, I feel very strongly about gun safety on movie sets, and

ha yup!!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thread is getting epic again

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Right. Baldwin heard the producer yell cold gun, and was handed the firearm taken from the table of weapons that the armorer provided.

They were using dummy rounds on set so checking the gun to ensure it was unloaded wouldn't necessarily have been done.

The biggest screwup is the fact that live ammo was brought anywhere near that set. That is such a basic, absurd mistake by the armorer.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

"I didn't pull the trigger when the gun fired" is the "I didn't inhale" of the 2020s

A Wizard of Goatse is the Jay Leno of go gently caress yourself.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
If only Jodie wasn’t busy loving every dude in Alaska she could do some real detective work.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The armorer should go to prison because it's the only place she'll be safe from Alec Baldwin.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sure okay posted:

I dunno man I'm not a fed but according to the article

they seem to believe they've proved it. DAs are not in the business of bringing charges they can't back up with conviction, especially with very public cases like this. Their careers are kinda tied to winning all the time

Unless the public is howling for blood and want to see this person in particular held accountable. In that case trying and losing may be better than being seen to "let him off". I doubt that's the case here though, chuds hated baldwin for SNL mocking Trump, but they've moved on to hating other people now.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

People reflexively defending Baldwin because chuds happen to not like him is the dumbest loving thing. The people who are “howling for blood” now (aka: hoping for a prosecution so that there is even the tiniest sliver of justice served) are mostly people who work in film production; who don’t want to see yet another shithead rich rear end in a top hat producer who actively fostered an unsafe work environment get off without any consequences after literally murdering a crew member.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Infinite Karma posted:

That seems like a lot of assumptions you made. Those are definitely good ways to be safe around guns that any trained gun-haver would probably follow, but not all actors are trained gun-havers and a safety plan that relies on the weakest link in the chain (the untrained actor) to be safe is not a very good safety plan.

It's the actor's job to follow the safety precautions that were set by whoever is in charge of safety. If there's an instruction that you can't touch a gun unless you personally saw the armorer take it out of a safe, inspect it, and test fire it, and then have the assigned director hand you the gun while yelling "cold gun" then that's what you're supposed to do. Otherwise, it's not what you're supposed to do.

If the process is that the stunt director (not the actor) needs to watch the armorer do all that, and then they hand you the gun yelling "cold gun", then it seems like it's on the stunt director and the armorer.

Industry standards are not part of criminal law though. According to industry standards actors have no responsibility as long as they are following directions. That doesn't mean the jury will agree that the person accepting and firing a gun has no responsibility.

Baldwin wasn't some kid with their first big break nervously going along with whatever they are told. He absolutely had both the experience to notice that safety procedures on this set were sloppy, and the authority to refuse to go along with it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

If only Jodie wasn’t busy loving every dude in Alaska she could do some real detective work.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

kntfkr posted:

Being an actor doesn't excuse first degree murdering an unarmed mother of two.

Man that was some malicious plan, diabolical really

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

kntfkr posted:

Being an actor doesn't excuse first degree murdering an unarmed mother of two.

Good thing he's not and has never been charged with and very obviously did not commit first degree murder.

Yet. Keep posting like that and you better start locking your doors at night, because a Baldwin never forgets.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

LanceHunter posted:

People reflexively defending Baldwin because chuds happen to not like him is the dumbest loving thing. The people who are “howling for blood” now (aka: hoping for a prosecution so that there is even the tiniest sliver of justice served) are mostly people who work in film production; who don’t want to see yet another shithead rich rear end in a top hat producer who actively fostered an unsafe work environment get off without any consequences after literally murdering a crew member.

Everyone here works in film production and hates their boss

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

people dont kill people. guns kill people.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Guns don't kill people. Alec Baldwin kills people.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lmao his name is baldwin

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Blamwin

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
He's more successful than his cousin Alex Baldlose.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Alec bald ftmf win

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

kntfkr posted:

He's more successful than his cousin Alex Baldlose.

Actually, once he lost the bald, Alex got significantly more successful.

Meanwhile, the poor actor that won the bald had it go to his head, and now he's an unhinged lunatic that guns people down for asking another take of him.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What do you guys think the movies commentary track will be like

“And right here is where the director asked for another take and I says ‘Another take? How about I just fuckin’ shoot the both of ya!’”

*laughter*

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The funniest thing about Alec Baldwin isn't that he murdered a colleague/employee.
The funniest thing about Alec Baldwin is that his several-decades younger wife from Massachusetts pretends that she is Spanish.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

canyoneer posted:

The funniest thing about Alec Baldwin isn't that he murdered a colleague/employee.
The funniest thing about Alec Baldwin is that his several-decades younger wife from Massachusetts pretends that she is Spanish.

If you really think about it aren't we all spanish tho?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So this guy has a podcast? I got an add for it and it’s just him chatting with celebrities I guess? Imagine being a guest on that show, every brisk move he makes, you duck for cover.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
The BBC is live reporting from Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's trial.

The headline is naturally about Alec Baldwin.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
i know a propmaster who worked with her once and then made hiring stipulations about her after that experience

they tried to hire him for rust but he told me she was already hired + he felt the whole thing was sketchy from the start so he declined

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Seems like she rode her dad's coattails into the industry and is one of those people who thinks that's good enough while being woefully unqualified and unprofessional.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems like she rode her dad's coattails into the industry and is one of those people who thinks that's good enough while being woefully unqualified and unprofessional.
I mean that’s like a massive chunk of the industry right there

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah she works in hollywood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You've got to hire someone to look down the barrels of the guns to make sure they're not loaded. May as well be your friend's daughter.