Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jack Trades posted:

Elden Snore

You misspelled Boltaro or whatever that game is called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hear a lot of people have been talking about that new game Basura. Dreckbuilders, they call them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

that looks nice, although I'm somewhat frightened of any rpg that has "grind" in it's name

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So I played Chris Whitehead's (The Sonic Mania guy) new game Penny's Big Breakaway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hAgpRYM2M8

It oozes a ton of that 90s early 3D Sega charm. However it's not clicking with me yet. There's an issue with a lot of the "Sonic-like" games that come out, where they basically pull a half-measure in their tribute and give you a platformer that's half-sonic and half something else, and that "something else" loving suuuuuuuuuuucks. So Penny has SOME mobility skills and the ability to zip around sometimes, but they're basically navigating Super Mario 3D Land style stages and their normal walking speed is slow. The art style is great, but the simple textures and fixed camera leads to situations where you don't have a good grasp on where the character is on the z-axis of your view. The penguin guard mechanic is very annoying and discourages the player from exploring the zones they occupy.

Maybe it'll click with me later, I heard some people saying once you master the move set you can zip through the levels very quickly, and it is an interesting move set and that aesthetic is pretty darn nice.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 22, 2024

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

13 years of development, goddamn. I commend them for their perseverance, but is the game any good?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GrandpaPants posted:

13 years of development, goddamn. I commend them for their perseverance, but is the game any good?

Steam has it at 89% out of roughly 5000 reviews, so probably.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

So I played Chris Whitehead's (The Sonic Mania guy) new game Penny's Big Breakaway

It oozes a ton of that 90s early 3D Sega charm. However it's not clicking with me yet. There's an issue with a lot of the "Sonic-like" games that come out, where they basically pull a half-measure in their tribute and give you a platformer that's half-sonic and half something else, and that "something else" loving suuuuuuuuuuucks. So Penny has SOME mobility skills and the ability to zip around sometimes, but they're basically navigating Super Mario 3D Land style stages and their normal walking speed is slow. The art style is great, but the simple textures and fixed camera leads to situations where you don't have a good grasp on where the character is on the z-axis of your view. The penguin guard mechanic is very annoying and discourages the player from exploring the zones they occupy.

Maybe it'll click with me later, I heard some people saying once you master the move set you can zip through the levels very quickly, and it is an interesting move set and that aesthetic is pretty darn nice.

This matches my experiences. I love the aesthetic, mostly enjoy the controls and level design, but you pretty much nailed my misgivings with the game. We'll see, gonna give it a few more hours to see if it clicks harder as I've played basically every other 3d platformer in it's class

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rappaport posted:

Hollow Knight did this, though the backer characters don't really have exposition lines or anything

There were different levels of backer bugs. The ghosts in the graveyard were the lowest but IIRC the highest was an actual NPC with lines. But it's not the kind of game where anyone talks at length.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

exquisite tea posted:

The backer stories are a rare instance where a developer would have been celebrated for reneging on their Kickstarter promises.

They were so, so loving bad. This backwater starter town where everything sucks and nobody stays if they can get out, turns out to host like a dozen epic heroes of infinite power in hiding or some poo poo, whatever the excuse is supposed to be about them if there even is one. Even if you were going to include them, put all of them in the big city where there are already a bunch of people with great power or skill hanging around because it's the crossroads of this part of the world. They have a better excuse to be there, even if it's just passing through.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkWUQlC4TkY

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the ol' Pinny B

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What do people use to stop the windows key from stealing focus of the game to open the start menu? Google suggests enabling Gaming Mode on windows but that doesn't do crap.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if it's Windows 10, do a regedit and search for: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

this should bring up a list of values, one of which is named NoWinkeys; if not, right-click in the list, select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name the new value NoWinkeys

double-click NoWinkeys and change its value data from 0 to 1 to disable your winkey, and back to 0 if winkey is required later down the road

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What do people use to stop the windows key from stealing focus of the game to open the start menu? Google suggests enabling Gaming Mode on windows but that doesn't do crap.

you can disable it. I think powertoys has an option, or registry editing probably too
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

Otherwise my go to solution is not pressing the windows key while playing something

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Automata 10 Pack posted:

that trailer makes it look like you should be using the yoyo 100% of the time. is there some kind of limit that prevents that? cause i dont know why anyone would walk anywhere in that game if you could instead ride your yoyo and slingshot everywhere

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Some keyboards allow you to disable the Windows key with a toggle. In my case it is the SteelSeries key + Win key.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GrandpaPants posted:

Seconding that question. The fact that it's been in EA since 2015 means it is ridiculously cheap compared to contemporary games (my currency suffers from third worldism), so it's very much on the might as well camp if the 12 goons who played Alpha Protocol think it's good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZearothK posted:

Seconding that question. The fact that it's been in EA since 2015 means it is ridiculously cheap compared to contemporary games (my currency suffers from third worldism), so it's very much on the might as well camp if the 12 goons who played Alpha Protocol think it's good.

I haven't played it nor alpha protocol, but my friend who has played both a decade ago says its good

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ZearothK posted:

I think Alpha Protocol is good, so well done on a successful sale here sir/ma'am.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

that trailer makes it look like you should be using the yoyo 100% of the time. is there some kind of limit that prevents that? cause i dont know why anyone would walk anywhere in that game if you could instead ride your yoyo and slingshot everywhere

Riding on the yo yo is really hard because you basically fire off in a direction and then can't easily turn.

I really wanted to like this game because I've liked some of these new indie 3D platformers (loved pseudoregalia!), but I think I kind of actively hate it. Everything requires a level of precision that is really hard to nail, especially with the fixed camera. The penguins loving suck, I hate how the camera is zoomed out so far that I can barely see any detail in the environments at times, I have a ton of trouble lining anything up, and the first set of levels has very little variety and the same color palette and music through it so it felt repetitive very quickly.

I think I'm gonna refund it because I can't really imagine it developing into something I like. Always hate doing an "it's not fun" refund on an indie game but they really should have put up a demo, it is pretty obvious within half an hour of playing if this game is for you or not.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I take a butter knife and pop it out lol

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Solium Infernum is out today. It's a tile-based strategy game about demons fighting for Hell's throne after Lucifer goes missing. I remember the game from a long time ago before itch.io was the way to play indie games. Seize power, humiliate your opponents in Hell's Court, and when they're done grovelling stab them in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3KIeEt8o6I

It got picked up by the developers of Armello, so they know a thing or two about hexes.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Im sorry but that trailer music lmao

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The demo for It'sTheTalia's (Brutal Orchestra) next game Clown Meat is live. It's a precision platformer in the vein of Super Meat Boy, but instead of holding trigger simply making you run faster it turns you into a ball that rolls down slopes extremely quickly. This gives levels a great puzzle element where you can find creative ways to use slopes to launch across gaps and finish levels in a fraction of the time. It makes the game feel so much more freeing than most precision platformers that confine you to closed hallways with only one linear route to the end.

The setting is a post-apocalypse where a gigantic clown creature emerged from Jupiter and settled on Earth, unleashing chaos across humanity. You're an artificial lifeform created from its flesh on a journey to this clown god so you can entertain him. There is a surprising amount of story here, though the vast majority of it is via optional dialogues with the remaining human survivors. It's much more lighthearted than its premise implied, thanks mostly to the protagonist's innocent curiosity about the world. I'm very excited to see where this goes, Talia's earned my trust for life after the tremendous Brutal Orchestra - she knows how to tell a weird-rear end story.

https://twitter.com/2_left_thumbs/status/1760750221930242443

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

KakerMix posted:

DOS2 is just a game I couldn't get into for whatever reason, but it isn't bad. BG3 however I got sucked into right away, so whatever! Brains are dumb as hell!

Yeah I've never made it out of fort joy despite multiple attempts but I'd never call it a bad game, I just don't click with it.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
dont sweat it. I loved and still do love DOS2 but BG3 is indeed much much better

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
DOS3 will be godly :pray:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what the gently caress

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

winkey

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Pigbuster posted:

The demo for It'sTheTalia's (Brutal Orchestra) next game Clown Meat is live. It's a precision platformer in the vein of Super Meat Boy, but instead of holding trigger simply making you run faster it turns you into a ball that rolls down slopes extremely quickly. This gives levels a great puzzle element where you can find creative ways to use slopes to launch across gaps and finish levels in a fraction of the time. It makes the game feel so much more freeing than most precision platformers that confine you to closed hallways with only one linear route to the end.

The setting is a post-apocalypse where a gigantic clown creature emerged from Jupiter and settled on Earth, unleashing chaos across humanity. You're an artificial lifeform created from its flesh on a journey to this clown god so you can entertain him. There is a surprising amount of story here, though the vast majority of it is via optional dialogues with the remaining human survivors. It's much more lighthearted than its premise implied, thanks mostly to the protagonist's innocent curiosity about the world. I'm very excited to see where this goes, Talia's earned my trust for life after the tremendous Brutal Orchestra - she knows how to tell a weird-rear end story.

https://twitter.com/2_left_thumbs/status/1760750221930242443

Oh gently caress yeah this looks awesome. I'm a huge fan of Worthikids so this seems to be right up my alley

https://youtu.be/NUb3ZzNWhC0?si=1aD1Y5fe8D9K_Mqu

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Looks like Dying Light 2 is having a free weekend to celebrate the Reloaded Edition coming out? I haven't played it yet and was wary of doing so because of the negative reception, but I'm planning to check it out while it's free since I was a fan of the first one, despite its rough edges. Hopefully I can just get a buzz from kicking zombies off of rooftops and then leave before it gets too bad.

Oh, and Fanatical is having a 'BundleFest' lately, like these: Play On the Go, Bento Bundle 4, RPG Bundle, Killer Bundle, Premiere Bundle

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 23, 2024

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

wizard2 posted:

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

I hope this does OK so that they'll resume the development on Jumplight Odyssey.
Their reasons for putting it on hold (running out of money) were fair enough, but it hurt me very, very badly.

I'd probably have bought Solium Infernum anyway based on very vague memories of the original, but I don't even care if it's terrible while clinging on that hope.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

wizard2 posted:

Beyond divinity

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FutureCop posted:

Looks like Dying Light 2 is having a free weekend to celebrate the Reloaded Edition coming out? I haven't played it yet and was wary of doing so because of the negative reception, but I'm planning to check it out while it's free since I was a fan of the first one, despite its rough edges. Hopefully I can just get a buzz from kicking zombies off of rooftops and then leave before it gets too bad.

drat they've been supporting the hell out of this game, you do actually have to hand it to them. As someone who beat the game back when it came out, when I come back to try these updates out I end up just running around the city and kicking zombies until I get bored. I feel like the game's better than ever now if you are just starting but idk I haven't had a compelling reason to come back for more than a peek with these updates.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jerusalem posted:

See I felt much the same, that I loved it but it ate up so much of my time for so long that I didn't need to go back in for more... but then I saw the player react to the big boss smashing him with a big move by forming Angel Wings and rising up into the air to smite it and son of a bitch FROM got me again.

Seriously, that was unfair.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Create another layer on QMK with it unbound, and then set up a key combination to switch that layer on and off.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

alternatively bind it to a useful key and just use the right windows key when you actually need it

it's free real estate

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've enjoyed my time with Hollow Knight, but I think I'm close to done after 30 hours. Everything left, as far as I can tell, is boss fights that I'm way too poo poo to beat, so I think this game will have to remain unfinished.

What I don't like about these sorts of game is that I never know if I can't do something because I don't understand a game mechanic or because I haven't unlocked an ability that's hidden away somewhere. And because I'm an old gently caress, my reflexes are poo poo so I have to assume it's a skill issue whenever things seem tough, rather than a lack of gear/upgrades.

Still, a quality metroidvania even if it is too hard for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For HK, if it's a boss fight that's blocked you, it's a skill issue (there is like, one fight that's too hard, but it's near the start of the game and there's a NPC on your walk of shame who'll chat you up and tell you to come back later); but this isn't a problem as the game is stuffed with optional bosses. If it's a platforming issue, it's probably a metroidvania unlock thingie that's blocking you. If it's 'the common mooks are too hard / I keep dying to attrition", then it's back to a skill issue, but that's fine as, y'know, nonlinear game and all that.

I hold HK up to the gold standard of the genre, and it's a shame that you've bounced off of it, might I humbly ask that you come back after a while? You'll have forgotten where everything is, but the boss fights will probably be easier with a clean start.