Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Popete posted:

Wheel of Fortune has only ever worked for me like twice. It's crazy how often it doesn't hit for a 1 in 4 chance
it's ok, I'll keep buying that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

TwoStepBoog posted:

The wheel of fortune is not happy with me--that's okay, I'll still keep buying that garbage.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

TwoStepBoog posted:

that's okay, I'll still keep buying that garbage.

new thread title imo

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i will try a run later where i try to maximize wheel of fortune

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Disappointed if wheel isn't your #1

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i think the only minor gripe i have is with the tags. if i get one, and it says "shop has holographic joker", the next shop that opens up should have a holographic joker. it doesn't say "chance of holographic joker", it says "HAS holographic joker". should not be getting to the shop and seeing two planet cards. one slot should be the holo joker if that's what the tag says

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just looked and Wheel of Fortune doesn't even make my top played tarot cards list lol. Apparently my memory is skewed as I haven't even played it 7+ times.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Wheel of Fortune has only ever worked for me like twice. It's crazy how often it doesn't hit for a 1 in 4 chance

It's a 1 in 5 chance on the Switch version which is even worse. I'll keep buying that garbage tho

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Am I right on thinking that to begin with I should just be buying as many new cards as possible to then unlock more features that make it easier to progress?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Even if not seeing a tagged edition joker can be annoying, at least the tag is not consumed until what it promises actually shows up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

It's a 1 in 5 chance on the Switch version which is even worse. I'll keep buying that garbage tho

Oh then I'm just misremembering

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kin posted:

Am I right on thinking that to begin with I should just be buying as many new cards as possible to then unlock more features that make it easier to progress?

Nah, the locked cards aren't strictly better or anything, in fact they're usually aimed at making very niche builds viable and thus make your overall pool of jokers worse.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Oh then I'm just misremembering

No I have a strong recollection of it being a 1 in 4 on PC. The Switch version is 1.0.0c and PC is 1.0.0j. I knew there'd be a delay in updates as console versions have to go through more approval to go live.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Am I the only one that hears the music playing in my head all day long at work..?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Veryslightlymad posted:

My worst foe is the Psychic. Not because he's hard, but because I am too careless to remember I need to play 5 and it cancels the whole hand.

Meanwhile, I don't even understand what decks the psychic is supposed to be difficult for and I play 5 cards at a time for the majority of hands.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if you have a lot of stuff that triggers if held at the end of the round you often find yourself wanting to play less than five cards.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tenacious J posted:

Am I the only one that hears the music playing in my head all day long at work..?

Yes because I immediately turned the music off.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

WarEternal posted:

Meanwhile, I don't even understand what decks the psychic is supposed to be difficult for and I play 5 cards at a time for the majority of hands.

The only thing that comes to mind is the joker that gives mult if you play 3 or less cards

edit: I guess if you have a ton of steel cards

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Roluth posted:

Even if not seeing a tagged edition joker can be annoying, at least the tag is not consumed until what it promises actually shows up.

it's true but in a game like this you have to be specific with the wording of these things. it should say "next available joker in shop is holographic/rare/polychrome/etc" instead

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Nemo2342 posted:

Yes because I immediately turned the music off.

but it's so good tho

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Gah the Flint sucks

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tenacious J posted:

I'm playing Balatro in my head

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Color Printer posted:

Do note that if you play less than five cards against the psychic, your hand is completely and totally disregarded, even if it was one card just to trigger DNA.

Yyyyyeeeepppp. Hardest boss for those of us with a goldfish attention span

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Does the "Oops all sixes" Joker card work with the Wheel of fortune card? Because that would be a good synergy.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
What would be nice is a test mode which would allow to you play around with different combos of cards, jokers, etc. so you can see how the cards interact.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Tombot posted:

Does the "Oops all sixes" Joker card work with the Wheel of fortune card? Because that would be a good synergy.

It works with anything that has an X in X result, this includes penalties like the 1 in 7 face down blind.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

That this game doesn't have a Johnny 5 Aces Joker is a travesty.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
important tip: there's a joker unlock tied to starting, suspending, and then continuing a run later, if (like me) you're the sort of person who plays runs all in one sitting

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Won't you get that the first time you log out? As far as I can tell the game won't let you go to main menu from the game over screen, and you actually have to start a new game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Veryslightlymad posted:

Won't you get that the first time you log out? As far as I can tell the game won't let you go to main menu from the game over screen, and you actually have to start a new game.

you get it for clicking this button

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i was experimenting with DNA and immediately lost to the boss where i could only play 1 hand lmao

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Showman is pretty funny if you get enough economy to go looking for enough dupes. It's pretty drat swingy though.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

skipped a blind not realizing I was on the final ante and missed clearing orange stake by 5k. brutal L to take. if I had played that blind I probably could have juiced up my deck just enough to clear it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKeny1 posted:

i was experimenting with DNA and immediately lost to the boss where i could only play 1 hand lmao

I did this too. Kind of funny though

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I can't manage to climb the stakes with anything but the checkerboard deck, I gotta learn how else I can get consistency going. It's definitely the easiest deck in the game and it's not just me, yeah?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

woke kaczynski posted:

I can't manage to climb the stakes with anything but the checkerboard deck, I gotta learn how else I can get consistency going. It's definitely the easiest deck in the game and it's not just me, yeah?

it's easy in the first couple rounds by virtue of chooching flushes but it relies heavily on your ability to strategically use jokers and arcana cards to build a deck that can stand the test of time. it's the inverse of other decks in that you have to find a way to do one thing PERFECTLY, as opposed to giving yourself several options to progress. when all you have is flushes, suddenly most of the planet cards and jokers in the game are a lot less useful to you

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I can't stop playing.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

barnold posted:

it's easy in the first couple rounds by virtue of chooching flushes but it relies heavily on your ability to strategically use jokers and arcana cards to build a deck that can stand the test of time. it's the inverse of other decks in that you have to find a way to do one thing PERFECTLY, as opposed to giving yourself several options to progress. when all you have is flushes, suddenly most of the planet cards and jokers in the game are a lot less useful to you

This is already how I play with the other decks... Hmmm...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

barnold posted:

I haven't played with it extensively (I might switch to it if I can't muscle past orange chip otherwise) but I don't really see how this is the case. It doesn't actually take away any of your other tools, and having such an incredibly brainless early game gives you more time and resources to build towards anything else. If you want to go for an aces deck checkerboard is still going to have an easier time than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I've poured more hours into this over the past two days than is reasonable and won at least one run with all of the decks you unlock at normal difficulty. I still think the game would benefit from representing the different decks with marketable little guys you can root for, and the blinds with bad guys I can get mad at for tanking my run, but that might just be me.
The visual style and direction is really nice, though I did turn off the crt effect and screen shake almost immediately, and I like how it's just all about cards. But maybe just a small neat illustration of a themed king/queen/joker to represent the boss? The symbols don't really do it for me.