Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Very nice, very veery nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
the weight of the guitar?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Xaerael posted:

JDM Epi LP custom with Nitro finish. Plays like a dream.

owns

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

the weight of the guitar?

My scales aren't the best, but they read 9.3lb. Def feels heavier than my '03 Korean and '16 Gibson, but that could be in my mind.

The Epiphone wiki has a decent specs list for it:

https://epiphone-wiki.org/EpiWiki2/index/Japanese_Les_Pauls.html#Les_Paul_Custom_LQ

edit:

I really should have prefaced, I've done a couple of personalizations to it, I hate Grover kidney buttons, so I switched them out to keystones, and the selector switch cap was on the verge of death, so I swapped it for a metal one.

tl;dr, I made it look kinda like a Norlin era, which is what I like aesthetically.

It also had cracked pickup rings, because someone for some reason had replaced them with flats, so the curve cracked them in two. Those got replaced at the same time with appropriate curve bottoms which sit flush and beautiful now.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 22, 2024

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Hi thread. I've never posted in here before, but I recently bought something rare, and now I've spruced it up and replaced all the broken bits I figured I'd share it with you all.

Bocchi?

edit: actual content, if anyone wants a cheap Squier Classic Vibe that got Duran Duran painted and horribly 2K topcoated (the can's instructions lie) or wants to trade a contour Tele body for it, I'm your man

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I've being trying to learn some Replacements and Dinosaur Jr, because they're fun and I love them, so picked up a couple of published tab/sheet music books.

How do you guys approach playing stuff that has stacks of layered guitars? Use the published music as a guide and synthesise a single guitar rather than being too literal with it?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Disco Pope posted:

I've being trying to learn some Replacements and Dinosaur Jr, because they're fun and I love them, so picked up a couple of published tab/sheet music books.

How do you guys approach playing stuff that has stacks of layered guitars? Use the published music as a guide and synthesise a single guitar rather than being too literal with it?

Yeap, or use a looper to lay down a track to over dub.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

MJP posted:

Bocchi?

Totally by coincidence, but yeah. Close as it gets w/o spending 4x the money. The Custom in Bocchi is probably a Norlin Gibson based on the gold keystone tuner buttons and probable age. Norlins can be total duds though, so a good LP I could dress up as a Norlin was something I've been on the hunt for.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

PathAsc posted:

I've got one of those for my electric as well, and that's exactly what it's for: remote reading. Except they don't have it on the water meters so they still have to have a dude walk around to get those manually lmao. No idea if it's causing me any issues since I have other things in the house that are imposing noise.

it's actually me doing your mom thats imposing all the noise

gregday
May 23, 2003

Xaerael posted:

Hi thread. I've never posted in here before, but I recently bought something rare, and now I've spruced it up and replaced all the broken bits I figured I'd share it with you all.

Rock on.

Every time I see a black LP I think I should get one.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

landgrabber posted:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Totally by coincidence, but yeah. Close as it gets w/o spending 4x the money. The Custom in Bocchi is probably a Norlin Gibson based on the gold keystone tuner buttons and probable age. Norlins can be total duds though, so a good LP I could dress up as a Norlin was something I've been on the hunt for.

I remember seeing a photo from a guitar shop in Japan with like... ten or eleven black LP Customs with gold trim. Epis, Gibsons, clones. It was maybe 6-8 months after the last episode aired. Big "if an anime girl can do it, so can I!" energy. Looked like the vehicle graveyards of Chernobyl.

I bought a cherry burst Epi LP back in 2009-2010 thanks to K-On so I am coming from a place of friendly jibing; stupid encouraging anime girls

The kit Firebird has had the neck raised by however much five credit cards' worth of shimming generates. Holy crap, holy crap, holy CRAP did that make it a bajillion times better. The bridge and tailpiece are way high up so this helped boost the neck to meet the strings a little better. Still needs some tweaking but this baby was BORN for DR neon strings despite the fact that the neon part is flaking off from picking

I am a little bitch with a particular aesthetic preference and that's okay

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 22, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MJP posted:

I am a little bitch with a particular aesthetic preference and that's okay

bisexual guitar

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Struggling, struggling, struggling to not spend money on a 32 year-old Peavy predator.

I bought this new in a music store in 1992. Played it for about a year, then my wife at the time bought me an American Strat as a surprise, so I gave the Predacaster to my Dad.

Even though the Strat was objectively a nicer guitar, I really missed the Peavey. The neck felt so much better to me.

The Strat is now long gone and after many years I decided to start playing again. Dad had quit, so he gave the Predacaster back to me.

It’s got a fantastic setup and just feels soooo good. But I keep feeling tempted to put money into it.

I could maybe get $200 for this thing by selling it, yet I want to put better tuners on it and also change the bridge pickup to a nice humbucker, and get a different colored pickguard.

Please, somebody, talk some sense into me. For the money I’d spend on these things, I could instead just save towards buying a new Fender Player Plus, or something.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

landgrabber posted:

Oh, well carry on then, just stop eating all my totinos pizzas :bahgawd:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Struggling, struggling, struggling to not spend money on a 32 year-old Peavy predator.

I bought this new in a music store in 1992. Played it for about a year, then my wife at the time bought me an American Strat as a surprise, so I gave the Predacaster to my Dad.

Even though the Strat was objectively a nicer guitar, I really missed the Peavey. The neck felt so much better to me.

The Strat is now long gone and after many years I decided to start playing again. Dad had quit, so he gave the Predacaster back to me.

It’s got a fantastic setup and just feels soooo good. But I keep feeling tempted to put money into it.

I could maybe get $200 for this thing by selling it, yet I want to put better tuners on it and also change the bridge pickup to a nice humbucker, and get a different colored pickguard.

Please, somebody, talk some sense into me. For the money I’d spend on these things, I could instead just save towards buying a new Fender Player Plus, or something.

just do both or don't

but do spend $150-$200 on the Peavey

maybe get another guitar in the future, or not

a guitar in the hand is worth two in the bush and plus this one has all of that history with you and your dad

making it play better and hold tune sounds like an unalloyed win to me

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 22, 2024

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

MrMojok posted:

Would you be happier tinkering with the peavey to get it where you want it and be all personalized, or do you just want something to work mostly out of the box?

E: seconding what trilobite said, you've got history with the guitar, do what feels right ignore the cost memories are cool

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 22, 2024

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

MJP posted:

I remember seeing a photo from a guitar shop in Japan with like... ten or eleven black LP Customs with gold trim. Epis, Gibsons, clones. It was maybe 6-8 months after the last episode aired. Big "if an anime girl can do it, so can I!" energy. Looked like the vehicle graveyards of Chernobyl.

I bought a cherry burst Epi LP back in 2009-2010 thanks to K-On so I am coming from a place of friendly jibing; stupid encouraging anime girls

I mean, I'd not been playing for years when Bocchi came out because of a nasty wrist injury from a fall, and when the first few mins involved her throwing her dad's custom LP on, I looked at my old Epi custom and felt like I'd been neglecting a child. It totally revived my drive to play again, and I've been slowly rebuilding my collection that I'd mostly sold because I got emo about not being able to play (I sold two Icemans that I was kicking myself daily about until Ibanez released the new ones just before xmas last year which I totally bought one of).

I really need to put better pickups in that old Korean Epi though, because it's a lovely LP that sustains for years, but the Pickups in it sound like rear end which just puts me off playing it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If the peavey felt bad and played bad then I might be like "ok sell it" (and even then tbh, I'd probably advocate for keeping it around because I'm sentimental and all we are is dust and all we have is our memories until we don't anymore)

but since it plays good to you and all you want is to hot rod it up and/or make it hold tune better with locking tuners then I would keep it and have a good guitar that you and your dad shared

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

trilobite terror posted:

bisexual guitar

don't be guitaronormative

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
mod the peavey. i remember when I was a teenager a cheap pawnshop peavey was my first guitar, sort of. I badly sawed up the pickguard with a knife to make an EMG 81 fit in the bridge. I wish I had that guitar back.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

mod the peavey. i remember when I was a teenager a cheap pawnshop peavey was my first guitar, sort of. I badly sawed up the pickguard with a knife to make an EMG 81 fit in the bridge. I wish I had that guitar back.

I’m leaning that way.

I also should have been clearer. I meant to point out that I’d be putting a lot more money into the Predacaster than it’s worth. But it is a family heirloom of sorts… there is no way I’m getting rid of it!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I’m leaning that way.

I also should have been clearer. I meant to point out that I’d be putting a lot more money into the Predacaster than it’s worth. But it is a family heirloom of sorts… there is no way I’m getting rid of it!

don't overspend on pickups

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

MrMojok posted:

I’m leaning that way.

its you making a guitar you already have and enjoy playing even better. the worth shouldn't really factor into it imo.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

trilobite terror posted:

don't overspend on pickups

check out those 1k Gibby PAFs

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I like my custombuckers but I won't lie to you. they don't really matter that much. yeah they're good. so are a lot of cheaper pups. I do think all the gibson PAFs can sound a bit different but it's like comparing one good thing to another. The differences are vague observations unless you're talking about changing output level, which you can just do with cheaper sets. $1k set must be some vintage-ish set tho, custombuckers are half that for a full set brand new. I dunno if it matters to people if you buy them off the shelf or they came from a guitar out of the custom shop or not. I dunno who the hell buys a custom shop guitar and then changes the pickups but probably a lot of idiots

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Hey I'm back with more RIFFS. This time best of 2001. I think my riff committee did pretty good this time. Only one I wanted that didn't make it on there was Bullets by Creed but that's okay because it's Creed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8KerYCmBJg

e: Tracklist:

1. Party Hard - Andrew WK
2. Toxicity - System of a Down
3. Rock Show - Blink 182
4. Ravenous - Arch Enemy
5. Island in the Sun - Weezer
6. Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
7. In Too Deep - Sum 41
8. Wolf and Raven - Sonata Arctica
9. My Heart Bleeds No Longer - Unearth
10. Lateralus - Tool

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 23, 2024

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Hell yeah those rule

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Armacham posted:

Hell yeah those rule

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just got tickets to see Alvvays and the Beths this summer. Very curious to see them live. Also happens to be the same week my wife is due to have our kiddo so ... Fingers crossed they come a few days later.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The Beths are a fun show!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I saw Alvvays pre-pandemic, glad to hear they're still kicking.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I finally started guitar lessons after the pandemic derailed my January 2020 resolution to pick up the old guitar my sister and I never used in high school and learn. My first lesson ended with my instructor recommending that I find a left-handed guitar, which I have now done.

...man, it's really hard to play this thing when you can't see what you're doing, isn't it. My fingers feel like giant sticks of ham, which I assume is something that you're supposed to cure with many many hours of practice. Would it help if I got some kind of mirror so I can actually see my fretting fingers?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

I finally started guitar lessons after the pandemic derailed my January 2020 resolution to pick up the old guitar my sister and I never used in high school and learn. My first lesson ended with my instructor recommending that I find a left-handed guitar, which I have now done.

...man, it's really hard to play this thing when you can't see what you're doing, isn't it. My fingers feel like giant sticks of ham, which I assume is something that you're supposed to cure with many many hours of practice. Would it help if I got some kind of mirror so I can actually see my fretting fingers?

My partner just starting learning and I recommended practicing in front of a mirror because they were so contorted in an effort to see things that it was loving up their playing mechanics.

I've been playing for like 30 years and I still practice in front of a mirror, it's 100% a pro strat.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Modal Auxiliary posted:

My partner just starting learning and I recommended practicing in front of a mirror because they were so contorted in an effort to see things that it was loving up their playing mechanics.

I've been playing for like 30 years and I still practice in front of a mirror, it's 100% a pro strat.

Hm, any advice on what kind of mirror, assuming that none of the ones I already had attached to walls were in convenient guitar-practice locations?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm, any advice on what kind of mirror, assuming that none of the ones I already had attached to walls were in convenient guitar-practice locations?

I've always lived in cramped shitbox apartments with big wall mirrors to create the illusion of space, so that's what I've always used. No reason you couldn't use a vanity or even an HD webcam, though. As long as you can check your mechanics/ergonomics you're probably fine with whatever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, uh... I ordered a left-handed Newporter Player, and now that it's here, I'm a little confused by the heavy floppy thing wired to the acoustic controls that flops all around the inside of the guitar body and makes a lot of noise. I think it might be a 9V battery, but I can't really get at it without removing all the strings.

Is that a normal thing to have inside a guitar? It's not really mentioned in the instruction book and I feel like maybe it's supposed to be attached to something? Asking first because possibly this is the kind of problem that should lead to me wrapping the thing back up and sending it back untouched.

EDIT: Okay, carefully sliding it past the strings, it is definitely a 9-volt battery in a sack and it looks like it's supposed to be velcroed to something that I'm going to have to restring the guitar to stick it to. Oh, well; it's good training.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 23, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's what powers the pre-amp and built-in tuner.
If there's enough wind on the strings you may be able to just get them loose enough to fit your hand it and start feeling around, but yeah it definitely shouldn't just be flopping in there

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

duct tape to the rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I can't play in a mirror the delay fucks me up