Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of Clive Owen-related things, here's your yearly reminder that apparently season 3 of The Knick is still being worked on according to André Holland.

Also any trepidation I may have had about Tokyo Vice season 2 are gone. It's slow but so goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://discussingfilm.net/2024/02/22/avatar-the-last-airbender-review-netflixs-adaptation-is-like-the-ember-island-players-but-worse/

It’s almost kind of weird if one piece live action does well but an Avatar show doesn’t

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jerusalem posted:

Do yourself a favor and leave it at that, season 2 was a big let down sadly (assuming that we share the exact same tastes, mindset and response to stimuli).

IRQ posted:

Stop there unless you what you wanted was more Reacher shooting guns with his army friends and being a weird sociopath.

I’ve heard that from a few people. I’m not sure if I’ll check our season 2, but for now I’m planning on taking a break to check out Tokyo Vice.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
House of Ninjas is pretty cool, i love the grandmother. The intro music choices are weird and good too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is going to be one of those "watch and decide for yourself" shows

Variety:

The Guardian

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, but that's all shows though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No I rely solely on you guyses opinions

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Haven't seen a ton of talk about it here, but Monsieur Spade is really good and I feel like it needs more attention. It's an awful name and it's stuck on AMC+ as far as I know, so it's totally understandable why no one is watching it, but it's a good remedy for the loss of Perry Mason. Beautifully shot, Clive Owen rocks, the dialogue is really sharp, and there are a lot of biting conversations with really sleazy French people, what's not to like

Yeah I've got my eye on this, hopefully it ends up on Netflix or something so I can actually watch it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve heard that from a few people. I’m not sure if I’ll check our season 2, but for now I’m planning on taking a break to check out Tokyo Vice.

If you want mindless entertainment it's fine, but the things reacher figures out is borderline magic sometimes and then he does some boomer fantasy move and beats up a bunch of hooligans with no effort.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yikes the dialog in the first episode of the Avatar show is rough. I don't hate the show so far but the exposition dumps are incredibly awkward. I'm guessing it's a symptom of a constrained runtime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We just need to go back to the traditional method of exposition, where Virginia Madsen explains what the fuckin deal is first thing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yikes the dialog in the first episode of the Avatar show is rough. I don't hate the show so far but the exposition dumps are incredibly awkward. I'm guessing it's a symptom of a constrained runtime.

The Avatar show is longer than the season they're adapting, so that can't be it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Avatar show is longer than the season they're adapting, so that can't be it.

I thought season 1 (8 hours) covers seasons 1 and 2 (20 hours)?

If it's just season 1 I think they're the same duration then (~8 hours). If that's the case then they'd have been better off with a shot for shot. Like you already have the dialog written and the show plotted, there's no reason to do these huge structural changes if they're the same runtime.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

If it's just season 1 I think they're the same duration then (~8 hours). If that's the case then they'd have been better off with a shot for shot. Like you already have the dialog written and the show plotted, there's no reason to do these huge structural changes if they're the same runtime.

Just the first season, but it incorporates some elements from the second season because reasons.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's just adapting Book One.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I completely forget about The Last Airbender and thought you guys were talking about a series based on James Cameron's movies and hooo boy was I confused

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

PriorMarcus posted:

It's just adapting Book One.

It's baffling that they thought the structure of an already very popular show was somehow flawed then. Did they just want to have a fight scene as the opening shot, and wrote around that? Just baffling decisions to try to make the world more grimdark or whatever. I'm hoping in future episodes they stick more towards the original stuff I guess.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

first episode of Avatar is a pretty strong start, I'd say. I can already see that there's probably a lot of people that will be unhappy that Aang isn't already being all lovey-dovey over Katara, but I think I prefer it if most of his introduction in the modern world is him struggling with the weight of his actions and just taking in how alone he is. I can also imagine that a lot of people probably don't like that the first third of the episode is a prologue establishing Sozin starting the war and going to the southern air temple and conducting a genocide but gently caress it, I applaud not pulling punches in showing people dying. Also, this way we got introduced to earthbending and I would say they did a good job with portraying it, compared to the last live-action attempt (not that that would be hard but)

Now, maybe there will be some crummy things in the remaining 7 episodes, but I would say that so far it is good. Also, hearing the same leitmotifs and stings are pretty cool

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
NATLA thoughts as of episode 5

Aang good
Katara bad
Sokka good
Zuko good
Suki okay
Iroh bad :(
Azula good
Ozai good
Zhao okay
Kyoshi kinda overdone. She felt like fandom meme bloodthirsty Kyoshi instead of actual Kyoshi
Jet decent
Sai and Teo bad
Bumi really really bad
SECRET TUNNEL
Effects really good, production clearly put a lot of effort into this, probably the best they could have done and much higher quality than any standard TV budgets would allow...

...but still doesn't really capture the kinetic coolness of animated bending

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

zoux posted:

We just need to go back to the traditional method of exposition, where Virginia Madsen explains what the fuckin deal is first thing

:hmmyes:

Also I got to see that in a theater for the first time in my life this week and it was :krad:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BrianWilly posted:

NATLA thoughts as of episode 5

Iroh bad :(

Oh nooo! When this was announced I thought it was sure to work.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Medullah posted:

I completely forget about The Last Airbender and thought you guys were talking about a series based on James Cameron's movies and hooo boy was I confused

Wasn't there talk of an utterly absurd amount of Avatar? Like four more sequels and a prequal trilogy? Or was that an Onion article?

I wasn't surprised, because the movie made a trillion dollars when it came out. But I was surprised because A) it came out a decade before these announcements, and B) even if you're one of those folks who thinks it's one of the best movies ever made, and think it's foolish to doubt Cameron can wow us time and time again given enough resources, the setting and story of the film are hardly the reason why you like it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cojawfee posted:

If you want mindless entertainment it's fine, but the things reacher figures out is borderline magic sometimes and then he does some boomer fantasy move and beats up a bunch of hooligans with no effort.

I mean, that kinda rules though?

To me, REACHER is "What if they took Kiryu and made him an American army vet instead of a former yakuza"

The season 1 finale of the show is one of the few times I've audibly shout in excitement at my TV. At the realization that there are basically three protagonists for the season and going into the final episode... there are three antagonists as well. And they pair them perfectly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

He'd be excellent casting if they were going to do the version of Iroh from the show.

They are not doing the version of Iroh from the show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

PriorMarcus posted:

It might be a case of "judge for yourself." To me he doesn't really come across particularly gentle or wise or funny, but almost just gruff and frustrated all the time. As if anything nice he says almost feels affected and in reality he's constantly having to hold himself back from saying something mean.

There's a really fuckin' good episode 4 flashback with him and Zuko, though. One that is original to this adaptation. And it's really good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1760737495720055246

I thought everyone hated this show

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Doesnt mean that it's not watched by the masses.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goddamn old people...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Did they? I thought the general reaction was that it was surprisingly decent.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DaveWoo posted:

Did they? I thought the general reaction was that it was surprisingly decent.

My impression from those that watched it was that the first 2 or 3 episodes were really bad but the rest was decent.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also, Halo finally had some some stuff happen and it was fun watching Master Chief and marines fight aliens!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

swickles posted:

My impression from those that watched it was that the first 2 or 3 episodes were really bad but the rest was decent.

Yeah, this is how I felt. Started bad, but got better as it went. Niles and Daphne's son is terrible, but any episode that focuses on Frasier and Freddie is pretty good, and the Lilith episode is straight up good. I'm hoping a season 2 continues the upward trajectory.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1760741267875536928

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Maybe every odd one is a decent one? I did see someone suggest that they should cast David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson as the main characters and the show not have anything to do with The X-Files. I'd watch that.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dunno if there's a recommend me a TV show thread and I couldn't find it so I'm just going to ask here, or you can point me to the right thread:

I've been watching Scavengers Reign and now I'm in the middle of season two of Pantheon and I'm craving more adult animation of that type. Invincible I'm up to date with. Preferably English, not anime (maybe unless it's really good and a good dub, I'm not feeling the animation style right now), so that it's okay if I get distracted for a bit but can still listen to it without missing too much, you know?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Taeke posted:

Dunno if there's a recommend me a TV show thread and I couldn't find it so I'm just going to ask here, or you can point me to the right thread:

I've been watching Scavengers Reign and now I'm in the middle of season two of Pantheon and I'm craving more adult animation of that type. Invincible I'm up to date with. Preferably English, not anime (maybe unless it's really good and a good dub, I'm not feeling the animation style right now), so that it's okay if I get distracted for a bit but can still listen to it without missing too much, you know?

I've heard from multiple sources that despite being based on League of Legends, Arcane is a really solid show. I haven't watched it but have heard from a few friends that it's great.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
How do you feel about rotoscoping because Undone on amazon is amazing and deals with many adult issues.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

I've heard from multiple sources that despite being based on League of Legends, Arcane is a really solid show. I haven't watched it but have heard from a few friends that it's great.

Arcane is fantastic and I could care less about LoL

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oh yeah, saw Arcane and it's amazing. The animation is gorgeous. I'm reminded of Nimona now (kids movie on Netflix) which is also great so if you haven't seen it, give it a shot! Despite being aimed at kids/teens it's delightful but also very touching and really well animated.

I think I gave Undone a shot a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it, but maybe now I'm in a headspace where I'll enjoy it so I'll give it another shot.

Hell, let me expand the question: I'm digging that slow burning, ruminating on the nature of reality and humanity and all that vibe right now so any shows like that, doesn't have to be animated, would be cool.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Animation-wise, if you're open to giving some anime a shot, Pluto on Netflix has a decent dub and the animation is pretty far away from the typical cutesy modern anime style. I watched it after Scavengers and it felt like a good follow-up. It's definitely for adults, and not in a "edgy tits and gore for teenagers" way the most "adult" anime is. It's got strong Watchmen vibes.

I'd also recommend Psycho-Pass which largely avoids many of the worst sins of anime, though it's a bit slow at times and I roll my eyes occasionally. Also I'm only two episodes in, but Metallic Rouge is also pretty great so far. I'm someone who is very choosey with anime so these come as considered and critical recommendations.

In a totally different camp, Scott Pilgrim Takes Off might actually fit your ask. It's a more grown-up and self-reflective take on the material than the books or movie, even if you think those are a bit cringey. Skewed a bit younger, but Infinity Train might surprise you in how complex it gets.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 22, 2024