Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
In a similar vane, I only have a very casual knowledge of D&D but really liked Vox Machina on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Undone is a pretty intense experience. I recall people saying they didn't like that it was pushing a narrative that you don't need medication to function, but I don't think I buy that. The main journey is more about dealing with trauma of all kinds. It just so happens to focus on someone who is, likely, schizophrenic

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taeke posted:

Dunno if there's a recommend me a TV show thread and I couldn't find it so I'm just going to ask here, or you can point me to the right thread:

I've been watching Scavengers Reign and now I'm in the middle of season two of Pantheon and I'm craving more adult animation of that type. Invincible I'm up to date with. Preferably English, not anime (maybe unless it's really good and a good dub, I'm not feeling the animation style right now), so that it's okay if I get distracted for a bit but can still listen to it without missing too much, you know?

I don't have any similar recommendations unfortunately because I think Scavengers Reign and Pantheon are brilliant and very unique.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh, in a completely different arena, but Primal rules. It's not super deep thematically, but its character relationships have a ton of depth. It's basically "What if Conan the Barbarian became best friends with a tyrannosaurus-rex and they both were haunted by a lot of trauma?" except not nearly as silly as that sounds.

e: Also even though it's probably an incredibly off-base suggestion for what you're asking I've gotta say it, but The Venture Bros. is incredible if you've never seen it and it seems like it might be up your alley. It finally ended last year and really stuck the landing. The first few seasons are very silly, but as it goes it really layers in a ton of depth.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 22, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Only thing about "The Venture Bros." (and I say this as someone who ranks this as one of my top TV shows of all time) is that the pilot aired 21 years ago and the early seasons very much have jokes in it that have aged poorly but were of a time in the early 2000s. But you are largely clear of any of that stuff by Season 3 and it's not like even in the early seasons that it's constant.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, as much as I love the show I'd definitely skip a few key scenes if I were introducing it to someone fresh. But if you decide to jump in you can rest assured that the creators mature and grow as the show does, and at least attempt to retcon the show's most tasteless joke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Only thing about "The Venture Bros." (and I say this as someone who ranks this as one of my top TV shows of all time) is that the pilot aired 21 years ago and the early seasons very much have jokes in it that have aged poorly but were of a time in the early 2000s. But you are largely clear of any of that stuff by Season 3 and it's not like even in the early seasons that it's constant.

Yeah I did a rewatch in anticipation of the movie last year and there are definitely some poorly aged bits. Lots of calling things "gay" or "retarded"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah I did a rewatch in anticipation of the movie last year and there are definitely some poorly aged bits. Lots of calling things "gay" or "retarded"

This was how I felt when I rewatched Malcolm in the Middle. Every single episode in at least the first few seasons had a gay joke one way or another. No exaggerating, it was nuts

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Kids back would say they had no problem with a person in the same sentence a slur was used to identify something about that person theyre okay with.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Seconding Primal. Great show and I feel like it doesn't get nearly the recognition it deserves.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone with a better memory than me watching Resident Alien? I struggle these days to remember what happens in shows season to season, what's the reason the kid, Max, hates Harry now?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've been meaning to go and do a rewatch for that exact reason, just couldn't remember everything going on. I think I also started mixing it with some other shows I watched during or after which didn't help.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

at 5 episodes in for Avatar and they have skipped a lot of stuff, or consolidated certain plot elements but, if I'm being totally honest, a lot of those bits (or even entire episodes) were chaff to begin with. People should be celebrating that they completely skipped The Great Divide.

Also, I bet a lot of people are not happy that Azula has been introduced so early, but it also means we get a lot of Ozai and Daniel Dae Kim is loving OWNING the role.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

swickles posted:

Also, Halo finally had some some stuff happen and it was fun watching Master Chief and marines fight aliens!

Best episode by a huge margin, i bet it was super expensive to make.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

I still don't quite get why people hated the finale, I thought it was on the same level as the season as a whole, above average. But I have also not really watched any other True Detective.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Revisiting the Owen Davies 4K upscale, I really do think that Mitchell & Webb Look is the most consistently great sketch show I've seen. Haven't watched it in 5 or 6 years and it's so good.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I was talking to my friend about the first couple of episodes of ATLA and she brought up the removal of Sokka's sexism (and to a lesser extent some things about Zoku) and said she feels like it stems from society being unable to display "transgressions" anymore and let people grow and change from them cuz cancel culture blah blah blah.

I do think there is some truth to it, at the very least creators might be aware that viewers are loving dumb and will immediately think that any thing a character does at any point in the show is an endorsement. However I don't really feel like it's really that prevalent. As an immediate counter-example I suggested Bojack Horseman which deals with this head-on. I can't think of recent other shows though, any help?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
If you liked Dark check out Constellation on Apple TV. It requires careful viewing to figure out what might be going on and they are both way more obvious about it but also making it confusing.

There is already a big clue in the credits with two twin actresses for one character. At the same time they make it seem, even in the imdb credits, Jonathan Banks plays two characters, Bud and Henry, but he's not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kiminewt posted:

I was talking to my friend about the first couple of episodes of ATLA and she brought up the removal of Sokka's sexism (and to a lesser extent some things about Zoku) and said she feels like it stems from society being unable to display "transgressions" anymore and let people grow and change from them cuz cancel culture blah blah blah.

I do think there is some truth to it, at the very least creators might be aware that viewers are loving dumb and will immediately think that any thing a character does at any point in the show is an endorsement. However I don't really feel like it's really that prevalent. As an immediate counter-example I suggested Bojack Horseman which deals with this head-on. I can't think of recent other shows though, any help?

Bojack's an older show, and it's a show specifically for adults, so I dunno if the comparison stands. A better comparison might be a recent Marvel film, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would fit.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kiminewt posted:

The actress who played the Black CIA agent in the new Indiana Jones movie said she convinced the director to tone down the racism of the Neo-Nazi characters because she thought it was too offensive.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

CeeJee posted:

Constellation

I gave this a pass for an odd reason. All the promotional material made talked up her daughter who was left back on Earth and now has to reconnected with. It made it sounds like a family based show in the way Space Force ended up being. But it turns out the daughter is a small child and not even in all the episodes? Oh well. I've moved on to other things.

As for Dark, I've never seen it because I would have to use English subtitles and that would be admitting to myself that I lost nearly all of my German.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
OK ladies and gentlemen it's time to start the Vince Stapes Show. I don't remember dude as either a rapper or an actor. But I love Southside and enjoyed Atlanta and this seems to be in the same vein. Reviews are stellar.

There probably won't be a trip report from me on here unless someone else wants to talk about it. If I don't love it I'll presume it's not meant for my plebian tastes. And if I do really like it then it still probably won't be something I can unconditionally recommend.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

kiminewt posted:

I just assumed that since Avatar is an expensive show to make it’s probably going to have very few episodes compared to the original.
So Sokka being a bit of a moron at first was just one of the easy things to cut for time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In the live action show Sokka is much more 'You need to do what I say because I'm in charge' instead of 'You need to dowhat I say because girls are weak and have no place doing boy things' like in the original. And honestly Sokka is pretty unlikable at the beginning of the cartoon. So I think the toning down of that has more to do with maybe not making the audience completely hate a main character right off the bat than not wanting to show sexism at all. Especially since in the live action show they kept the sexism angle completely intact in regards to the Northern Water Tribe.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

X-O posted:

In the live action show Sokka is much more 'You need to do what I say because I'm in charge' instead of 'You need to dowhat I say because girls are weak and have no place doing boy things' like in the original. And honestly Sokka is pretty unlikable at the beginning of the cartoon. So I think the toning down of that has more to do with maybe not making the audience completely hate a main character right off the bat than not wanting to show sexism at all. Especially since in the live action show they kept the sexism angle completely intact in regards to the Northern Water Tribe.

Sokka's sexism is such a nothing arc in the cartoon. It last until the end of the third episode and it's never mentioned again. He even falls in love with the girl who helped him overcome it.

It makes perfect sense they dropped it and I can't fathom anyone giving a poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CeeJee posted:

At the same time they make it seem, even in the imdb credits, Jonathan Banks plays two characters, Bud and Henry, but he's not.
Can you explain what you mean here? If I'm understanding correctly I guess there was some sort of attempted misdirection in the show that I missed because I wasn't paying attention so I accidentally jumped to assuming what was actually going on, which was intended to be a surprise.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

X-O posted:

I just started it and that was my immediate thought too. Like the biggest part of Sokka's character is that his dad left to fight and so he thinks he has to be the man of the village and is striving to show he is a great leader and protector. That comes across really well in the first episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

Sokka's sexism is such a nothing arc in the cartoon. It last until the end of the third episode and it's never mentioned again. He even falls in love with the girl who helped him overcome it.

It makes perfect sense they dropped it and I can't fathom anyone giving a poo poo.

They even still kind of did that little arc, just not much as much sexism as arrogance.

Show seems alright 3 episodes in.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Avatar episode 1 and 2 reactions. I did my hardest not to look at it through the lens of a cartoon fan, and I tried to judge it on it's own merits.

Episode 1

Okay, right off the bat, I was extremely displeased with the opening scene of the genocide on the Air Nomads. Maybe I'm an old curmudgeon, bitter and lonely, but I don't think we needed an extended action sequence showing off the air and firebenders fighting as a prelude to killing every man woman and child in the temples. I honestly don't know why they devoted so much screen time to it. It was gratuitous and unnecessary.

They did my man Gyatso dirty.

The exposition dumps were clunky and boring. Gran Gran dreadfully intoning, "you are the ~Last Airbender~ you are the ~Avatar~" was so heavy handed and obnoxious. So much telling, not showing. And they didn't do Aang's actor any favors by making him have to deliver multiple monologues. I know they're trying to get across that Aang is a pretty wise kid, for being so young, but that's a heavy lift for any actor much less a child actor.

Sokka was good, if a bit stiff and humorless at least in the first episode. Katara.... ehh. I can tell the actor is trying, but she's not getting much.

Zuko was good, but we didn't see enough of him. I *love* that he had a journal and he is an artist. Absolutely love that little detail.

Iroh was... okay? Again, I think it was the writing that was tough to work with. That said, his short conversation with Aang was excellent. More of that Iroh please, and not as much of the cranky Iroh we get with Zuko.

Overall a C+ for episode 1.

Episode 2

Better than episode 1, if only because they got most of their exposition out of the way and they can let the characters breathe a little bit. This was a more Sokka and Zuko episode.

Loved Sokka and Suki's awkward flirting - Suki was great. And I think it's a great change to make *her* the super awkward one in it. She's been raised as a warrior on this tiny little island, meets a hunky boy who calls himself a warrior as well, so of course she thinks the best way to flirt with him is by kicking his rear end in a one on one fight.

Zhao was... pretty good? Not a fan of him pretending to be subservient to Zuko though - Zhao was such a great villain that you love to hate because of his arrogance, his dismissal of Zuko, of his absolutely garbage personality and his hubris - and this Zhao seems far more conniving and sneaky. With what he had though, I liked it.

Kyoshi was cool, and the entire sequence was cool, but I (and this is where I simply couldn't ignore the cartoon) absolutely HATE the motivation they're giving to Aang for going to the North Pole.

This one gets a B.

I'm still cautiously optimistic, but the caution continues to override the optimism.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not normally one to be like "new thing invalidates old thing!" But honestly the live action Avatar just feels like a bummer to me, especially considering there are new cartoons that are canon to Korra and Airbender starting as soon as next year. I don't get the point of watching a lower energy, one-to-one remake when the original feels alive and relevant.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Do they at least pronounce the names right?

(yeah it's arguable what "right" is but the movie just decided to do its own thing for no fathomable reason, like "Eeroh")

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nichael posted:

I'm not normally one to be like "new thing invalidates old thing!" But honestly the live action Avatar just feels like a bummer to me, especially considering there are new cartoons that are canon to Korra and Airbender starting as soon as next year. I don't get the point of watching a lower energy, one-to-one remake when the original feels alive and relevant.

It's not a one to one remake. There's a number of changes and a number of them are quite well done.

People really need to get over this notion that there's no reason for remaking things. I've seen dozens of different tellings of Hamlet in my life and most of them are literally one to one adaptations. But there's always something new that each brings to the table whether it's a good performance, a good set piece, or something added. Adaptations don't water originals down, they expand on them. You may not like the expansion and the expansion may not always be good or positive. But there's nothing wrong with doing one. They can easily be ignored if they're not you thing.

The people that would opt to watch the cartoon are still going to watch the cartoon. But people that would never want to watch a cartoon are going to watch this. And this never existing would not make them watch the cartoon. Simple as that.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I think people are mostly just angry with live action remakes because they feel like they're saying "here, now it's actually legitimate and not a stupid cartoon for babies"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

kiminewt posted:

I think people are mostly just angry with live action remakes because they feel like they're saying "here, now it's actually legitimate and not a stupid cartoon for babies"

Some might be done with that intention but I doubt it. That sounds more like an issue with the people thinking that than anything else.

They're done for one reason and one reason only. Money. Same as the original cartoon. To make money.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's sad because live action is for babies, even a baby could film a live action movie, the camera does most of the work and people just pretend to be animated. Real animation takes way more work, the hard kind of work babies are completely useless for.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

No such thing as a child animator

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They're too busy making my cheap shoes.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

kiminewt posted:

No such thing as a child animator
Live animation is too hard on the animator's baby wrists.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

OK ladies and gentlemen it's time to start the Vince Stapes Show. I don't remember dude as either a rapper or an actor. But I love Southside and enjoyed Atlanta and this seems to be in the same vein. Reviews are stellar.

There probably won't be a trip report from me on here unless someone else wants to talk about it. If I don't love it I'll presume it's not meant for my plebian tastes. And if I do really like it then it still probably won't be something I can unconditionally recommend.

I enjoyed this show a lot op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm rewatching the 2000 Dune Syfy miniseries in my "rewatch everything Dune before Part 2" marathon. I had recently imported region free blu-rays from Germany to upgrade my DVDs. It is actually scanned in HD, but all of the SFX scenes are upscaled (similar to Babylon 5). They also mostly used purely CG for effects (similar again to Babylon 5).

Due to the upscaled nature of the effects shots and how otherwise crisp the live action is scanned at HD, it's exaggerating even further the "stage play" nature of the production because you can see very very plainly when a matte painting was used for a backdrop in camera VS an actual effect shot. So many of the "wandering around the desert" shots now look like a pile of sand on a soundstage with a flat desert background hung on the wall and you know it's that because the scene is in HD. Honestly, I'm digging it. They already did lighting things that made it seem like a stage play and this takes it to the next level. One that really struck me in Part 2 that I watched last night is when Stilgar and Jessica are talking while looking out over the desert and you know it's all in camera due to it being in HD, but there's a bird flying in the distance. It's so obviously a puppet over the matte backdrop and it delights me to no end.

It also makes it really cool that they did the eyes in camera with UV reactive contact lenses. It's a really vivid effect in HD.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 23, 2024