Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There is a small DarkSydePhil in all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
If DSP is the devil that pops up on your shoulder, who is the angel?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
MittenSquad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Philippe posted:

MittenSquad

RIP to a good man

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm finally playing the first Metal Gear Solid game, and man, does the pacing screech to a halt right at the end when you're using a keycard to disable the nuclear launch.

It starts off great, make your way up a three story tall Metal Gear to get to the keycard computers at the top level. But then, whoops, you lose the keycard and have to go all the way back down to search for it. Then all the way back up again to swipe it once. Then all the way back down to cool it off in a previous area, then back up to swipe it again. Then all the way back down and to an area further back to heat up the card and all the way back to the top again, with two long elevator rides each way. :negative:

Like, c'mon, game. This is pure busywork BS, exactly when I was amped up to get into the endgame stuff! :arghfist:

The one (1) unqualified improvement Twin Snakes made to the original was placing hot and cold pipes in the hangar so you could blow them out to reconfigure the card instead of backtracking.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

credburn posted:

I remember being an anal dick about games holding my hand too much. I wanted Morrowind level of assistance; a journal, a compass, a map. That's all I needed. Get the gently caress outta here with quest markers and arrows pointing at things.

Now in my old age, if I don't know exactly where I'm supposed to go after ten seconds of looking I start raging.

I just had this last night. Started playing Star Trek Online and one of the Tutorial missions is "Go explore the starting city". Here's the auction house, here's the shops, here's the healing station, etc. Then there's one for "Go see Garrula in the slums West of the fighting pit". OK, go to the slums, which are West of the fighting pit. There's no mission marker or named NPC around there. The quest marker on the map shows that the NPC is North of the slums, in a bar, North West of the fight pits. OK, maybe he wanders. Go to the bar, look around, plenty of NPCs, none named Garrula. I'm standing on top of the quest marker on the map, guy's not showing up. Go back around to the first area, no dice. Check the map because in a smart decision, all the NPCs show up there, and their names will pop up. Scan the entire map, cannot find this guy. Go back to the bar, walk around, still no joy. Finally, find that there is a side door in the bar which leads to stairs going down. Apparently, the bar itself doesn't count as the slums, but the basement does.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The big problem is that games that want you to follow map markers don't give you the level of explanation of what to do as, say, Morrowind did so when they have lovely / inconsistent maps it's about as frustrating as it could get.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SkeletonHero posted:

The one (1) unqualified improvement Twin Snakes made to the original was placing hot and cold pipes in the hangar so you could blow them out to reconfigure the card instead of backtracking.

Oh, that explains my surprise, I was expecting a local solution like that. Must've seen discussion of that version at some point and it got stuck in my mind.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arivia posted:

RIP to a good man

Thats one way to learn about this. And then I checked his twitter and oof

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

alcohol loving sucks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Len posted:

but they'll skip every tutorial because "i've played games before"

Reminds me of the posts we sometimes get in this very thread from people who've already decided "normal" difficulty is actually baby game journalist mode, so they reflexively pick hard and then show up here complaining the game is too hard.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This is why bullshit hard modes should be locked behind finishing on normal, or entering a complex cheat code so you can't possibly think that you aren't bypassing the normal game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Tunicate posted:

This is why bullshit hard modes should be locked behind finishing on normal, or entering a complex cheat code so you can't possibly think that you aren't bypassing the normal game

This is how we get FF16 where you have to beat 80 hour game twice to access all the difficulty options.

I accept the cheat code option though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

not playing on normal the first time is kinda psycho poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tunicate posted:

AMID EVIL makes you walk through a different door in an entrance room to select your difficulty level with a jump or two in the way of the harder ones, but the hardest difficulty is actually hidden out of the way and isn’t obvious it exists

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"this game sucks, I have no idea how to do X because the game doesn't tell me"

"Did you turn off all UI elements or something? Because there's definitely a button prompt on my screen..."

"of course, I always disable all that baby poo poo :smuggo:"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

John Murdoch posted:

Reminds me of the posts we sometimes get in this very thread from people who've already decided "normal" difficulty is actually baby game journalist mode, so they reflexively pick hard and then show up here complaining the game is too hard.

Yeah I was thinking of Remnant 2 and how it makes it very clear normal is the expected experience for a fresh character and starting point but people cranked it up and were sad. For Remnant 2 it was especially a goofy complaint because you can reset the story at a new difficulty at any time and lose nothing*

*you'll need to rebeat worlds you already beat, but character progression was saved.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Meowywitch posted:

If you've truly never played a game in that genre before or from that developer, then yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i'm playing pokemon emerald and i would just like to say: gently caress you, feebas

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

I dunno. Sometimes the devs just tone down the normal difficulty to the point that anyone with any experience with the genre will be bored. In my experience, Mass Effect 2 on normal is pretty much a cakewalk, only on difficulties after that does it actually become engaging.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Neir Automata: Hey, just so you know there is no autosave and you will be unable to save until after the prologue

Gamer: Pffft, yeah ok sure whatever lets put it on impossible difficulty

*dies to 1 hit at the boss*

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

i had a buddy that slam picked the hardest mode in bioshock 2 and then got real mad because "i'm a big daddy, i should be just tearing through all these things. this shouldn't be this hard!"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Perestroika posted:

God yeah, I've seen an example of that just recently from a guy playing monster hunter. Basically he was doing a hunt on a special monster with a unique mechanic where you need to do elemental damage to it to have a chance, but it can hit you with a debuff called dragonblight that nullifies elemental damage you do, so you need to get rid of dragonblight quickly. So he starts the hunt, gets a tutorial popup explaining that very thing and reiterating the part with the dragonblight , reads it out to his audience, immediately gets hit with dragonblight and then proceeds to do nothing about it while beating his head against the fight for hours. The game even repeatedly reminded him audibly that he's actively suffering from dragonblight.

The average gamer is dumb as poo poo, and half of them are worse than that.

Alatreon broke many a brain in a game where everyone was used to choking everything with raw damage and WEX.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Leal posted:

Neir Automata: Hey, just so you know there is no autosave and you will be unable to save until after the prologue

Gamer: Pffft, yeah ok sure whatever lets put it on impossible difficulty

*dies to 1 hit at the boss*

I thought it was really funny how many times they tell you there is no auto-save.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
That said, I like autosaves and the lack of them has put me off Yakuza 0, which is the only Yakuza game I've played. It seems fun, I just didn't know where to save and was completely deflated when I started it up again after having played at least a couple of hours.

I started playing video games in the mid 90s but yes, I'm the idiot who wants autosaves and yellow ladders. I'm sorry! Most of my childhood games were extremely miserable!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

That said, I like autosaves and the lack of them has put me off Yakuza 0, which is the only Yakuza game I've played. It seems fun, I just didn't know where to save and was completely deflated when I started it up again after having played at least a couple of hours.

I started playing video games in the mid 90s but yes, I'm the idiot who wants autosaves and yellow ladders. I'm sorry! Most of my childhood games were extremely miserable!

If it helps I’m pretty sure Yakuza: Like A Dragon has them, which is considered a pretty good jumping on point. 0 was originally a cross-platform PS3/4 game though, which is why I guess no one thought that would be a good idea until the series fully transitioned to the last console generation.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I got to the same spot in Yakuza 0 as I did last time I played then stopped. For some reason I have trouble finishing video games

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

credburn posted:

I thought it was really funny how many times they tell you there is no auto-save.

Which, in fairness, does rather suck when the game just plain crashes 20 minutes into the 30 minute prologue, before you can even access a save point. :suicide:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Arivia posted:

i'm playing pokemon emerald and i would just like to say: gently caress you, feebas

My expression when I saw this post:

Although it's pretty funny in hindsight that they copied the "garbage fish that becomes far greater after evolution" gimmick. But besides looking and acting like garbage they also made it garbage to catch this time, while you couldn't stop fishing Magikarps!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There is no defending the first chapter of Nier Automata. 30 minutes long with no checkpoints and if you likely die to the boss you have to start over, even though you're still getting your bearings.

No other part of the game is this hostile. If you die in the endgame you get warped back to a checkpoint with no progress lost. I can't think of a worst first impression than this game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the other hand, once you do get past the opening, you're certain to have the combat controls down. I've played games where the tutorial was so easy you can do any task first try and where it later turns out you could have used some reinforcing repetition.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

My expression when I saw this post:

Although it's pretty funny in hindsight that they copied the "garbage fish that becomes far greater after evolution" gimmick. But besides looking and acting like garbage they also made it garbage to catch this time, while you couldn't stop fishing Magikarps!

If the fishing spots were visible it would be a lot better I think. Less annoying, and it would still facilitate it being changed through Record Mixing with other players. Even better mixing since you’d be able to see it change.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There is no defending the first chapter of Nier Automata. 30 minutes long with no checkpoints and if you likely die to the boss you have to start over, even though you're still getting your bearings.

No other part of the game is this hostile. If you die in the endgame you get warped back to a checkpoint with no progress lost. I can't think of a worst first impression than this game.

I died to the boss, then used cheat engine the second time to speedrun through poo poo and kill the boss in one hit. How's that for meta narrative, Yoko Taro! :smuggo:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuebot posted:

I actually had a charger hit me so hard I clipped through a bunch of walls and got launched straight into the nest we were supposed to destroy, so I called an airstrike down on myself and went down shooting.

SUPER EARTH! SUPER EARTH!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A little off topic but Dark Souls and Elden Ring get a lot of mention here.

Weird to me that there's never been any attempt at making a movie or a TV series. Given the immense popularity of ER and poo poo like GoT, LotR and The Witcher.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The lack of much in the way of characters or narrative makes it harder.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The villain of every season is a poison swamp

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The lack of much in the way of characters or narrative makes it harder.

True, but that hasn't stopped studios before in many previous instances. They made a loving emoji movie for christ sake. The lore and the story in these games is pretty dense and my least favorite thing about the games but I'd imagine some studio exec would see dollar signs and get a few writers to cobble something together. There's enough memorable settings, bosses and recurring characters to create a film I think.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Starring the rock and kevin hart as ornstein and smough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jack Black as Seath