Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

mrpwase posted:

You say the talking hamburger was embroiled despite the fact that it was obviously grilled

gently caress that's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

mrpwase posted:

You say the talking hamburger was embroiled despite the fact that it was obviously grilled

:pusheen:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mrpwase posted:

:golfclap:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/prawn_meat/status/1760597170515046404

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

eonblue174 posted:

The talking hamburger was flame broiled in a circumcision conspiracy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1760369770468450459?s=20

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

mrpwase posted:

:sbahj:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i can't find the Obama Talking Cheeseburger video. my heart cries out.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mrpwase posted:

:emptyquote:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Christ almighty, we have international laws that are there from keeping someone from torturing a joke like that.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
has anyone noticed that the corners of embedded tweets are not transparent?

Warbird posted:

Christ almighty, we have international laws that are there from keeping someone from torturing a joke like that.

you can't just violate sovereignty like that, you need to send an assassination team

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love that whenever vtubers come up despite the concept being around for at least a decade now it results in the same braindead conversation as always, verbatim. You could slap a 9gag watermark and some jpeg artifacts on the discussion it's that identical.

Silly Newbie posted:

This would be way funnier if you posted the poo poo starting, otherwise it's just an average day of Twitter discourse.
someone screenshotted the original post before he deleted it and his account.

Out of context it is even funnier because she's just like "yay artists!" and he storms in with DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOUR WORDS MEAN TO THE CONSEQUENCES OF THE PROLETARIAT

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

eonblue174 posted:

The talking hamburger was embroiled in a circumcision conspiracy.

mrpwase posted:

this instance however was worth it for this bit lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I love that whenever vtubers come up despite the concept being around for at least a decade now it results in the same braindead conversation as always, verbatim. You could slap a 9gag watermark and some jpeg artifacts on the discussion it's that identical.

Wow they've had at least a decade to stop being weird, niche and oft creepy and they haven't made any progress? Alright nevermind, wrap it up folks, there's no future here.

I just want to know what Baron Cyber Skull's new username is.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

uber_stoat posted:

i can't find the Obama Talking Cheeseburger video. my heart cries out.

I got ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUk8PCXa4E

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://x.com/kareem_carr/status/1760709193718218948?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

drat

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

I think the para social aspect of new media hasn't been fully grasped by society yet. There are a few podcasts I listen to a lot where the format is basically just friends shooting the poo poo and I have to stop myself sometimes and be like "no you don't actually know these people and they aren't your friends" because your brain processes it almost like you are in the room with friends joking around but your just listening and not joining in the conversation at that time.
My social circle kind of just overlaps with that of one of the hosts of my favourite shoot-the-poo poo podcast; every time I run into them I have to stop myself saying "oh and how is [your dog's name]?"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hollandia posted:

My social circle kind of just overlaps with that of one of the hosts of my favourite shoot-the-poo poo podcast; every time I run into them I have to stop myself saying "oh and how is [your dog's name]?"

Why don’t you care about their dog?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

Why don’t you care about their dog?

Yeah, this is pretty monstrous of you Hollandia.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Man I literally have a t-shirt with their dog on it, I've never met the dog, it's all very awkward

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Philippe posted:

I do, but it's CJacobs, so

Goon streamers are the exception, since they're almost all chill peeps with a good community who do it as a hobby. It's a much better vibe than the people trying to become the next Fortnite or Minecraft celebrity.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I've recalculated the math, it checks out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

syntaxfunction posted:

Wow they've had at least a decade to stop being weird, niche and oft creepy and they haven't made any progress? Alright nevermind, wrap it up folks, there's no future here.
they largely aren't, unless you conflate anime aesthetic = creepy/weird/etc and if so, there's no real discussion to be had since you've already made up your mind. and at this point they're anything but niche.

Hollandia posted:

all it took was one instance of randomly bumping into someone I listened to the podcast of at a convention a long time ago to snap me out of the parasocial aspect forever. now I purely view any streamer, podcaster, etc as an entertainer and nothing more, which is an incredibly important barrier to establish imo. I'm glad I had that moment right away instead of potentially ending up as one of those people who get completely obsessed or people who send $100+ superchats on youtube.

anyways. Slave Zero X is out on PC and the dev has fixed a bug.
https://twitter.com/AlexL_dev/status/1760008246788592034

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

lol a goon(BARON'S CYBER SKULL) tried to start poo poo with a vtuber, got called out, and shame-deleted their twitter account
https://twitter.com/VBrightshield/status/1759861531930497215

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFNgT81iA-c

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
always a classic

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Out of context it is even funnier because she's just like "yay artists!" and he storms in with DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOUR WORDS MEAN TO THE CONSEQUENCES OF THE PROLETARIAT

What the hell is the context?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

I just want to know what Baron Cyber Skull's new username is.

You are legitimately being weirder about vtubers than anybody else you're conversing with

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Runa posted:

You are legitimately being weirder about vtubers than anybody else you're conversing with

ok Baron Cyber Skull.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1760748342852673658

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

ok Baron Cyber Skull.

you can't fool me I see your game Baron Cyber Skull

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Benagain posted:

What the hell is the context?

I'm sorry but you kind of asked for this explanation.

The vTuber in question is new and part of a wider company called Nijisanji, they are one of the biggest vTuber companies, listed on the Japan stock exchange and spun out of the initial vTubers as extension of Japanese Idol culture (but the English speaking side is a lot less like that).

Recently there was a big scandal involving one of the talents within Nijisanji EN (Selen) being out of view for all of January and then being announced as terminated with immediate effect (including removing all prior content etc.). Turns out that some forms of internal harassment, favouritism etc. had led to the person behind that character having attempted suicide after having a major project they'd put personal money into removed against their wishes.

This has spun out to a huge drama as Nijisanji's handling of the situation is somewhere around "do the worst thing possible at every single moment", their termination announcement included sentences that implied that other talents were the ones doing the bullying/harassment, that the person behind Selen was threatening to doxx the other talents and leaking confidential legal documents.

The person in question has gone back to their pre-Nijisanji identity (Dokibird), has crossed 600k subscribers in a week and has seemingly been avoiding feeding into the drama. She has however leaning into breaking the kayfabe a bit and has talked about the fact that after doing the math she effectively made $0 in profit working for Nijisanji as despite all the money going in as one of their most popular talents huge portions go to the company not the talent and she spent $200k (CAD) in the last year of personal money on projects.

Nijisanji has lost a good chunk of its stock value, had numerous partners and collaborators (big and small) announce they aren't going to work with them anymore and in general are being viewed as a "Black Company".

Despite the victim asking people to harass other members this is of course happening. Most of the talents that people suspect of being the bullies are laying low but some other talents are continuing to produce content/tweets etc. Victoria Brightshield is brand new, hasn't gained a huge following and not one sane would consider to be part of the Nijisanji problem, however people who have only part of the story or are just reactionary against anyone associated with Nijisanji do continue to do things like that reply.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/broskiFGC/status/1760790166661112127

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmfao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dark lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
printing out that tweet and sending it to One Observatory Circle

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

door.jar posted:

I'm sorry but you kind of asked for this explanation.

The vTuber in question is new and part of a wider company called Nijisanji, they are one of the biggest vTuber companies, listed on the Japan stock exchange and spun out of the initial vTubers as extension of Japanese Idol culture (but the English speaking side is a lot less like that).

Recently there was a big scandal involving one of the talents within Nijisanji EN (Selen) being out of view for all of January and then being announced as terminated with immediate effect (including removing all prior content etc.). Turns out that some forms of internal harassment, favouritism etc. had led to the person behind that character having attempted suicide after having a major project they'd put personal money into removed against their wishes.

This has spun out to a huge drama as Nijisanji's handling of the situation is somewhere around "do the worst thing possible at every single moment", their termination announcement included sentences that implied that other talents were the ones doing the bullying/harassment, that the person behind Selen was threatening to doxx the other talents and leaking confidential legal documents.

The person in question has gone back to their pre-Nijisanji identity (Dokibird), has crossed 600k subscribers in a week and has seemingly been avoiding feeding into the drama. She has however leaning into breaking the kayfabe a bit and has talked about the fact that after doing the math she effectively made $0 in profit working for Nijisanji as despite all the money going in as one of their most popular talents huge portions go to the company not the talent and she spent $200k (CAD) in the last year of personal money on projects.

Nijisanji has lost a good chunk of its stock value, had numerous partners and collaborators (big and small) announce they aren't going to work with them anymore and in general are being viewed as a "Black Company".

Despite the victim asking people to harass other members this is of course happening. Most of the talents that people suspect of being the bullies are laying low but some other talents are continuing to produce content/tweets etc. Victoria Brightshield is brand new, hasn't gained a huge following and not one sane would consider to be part of the Nijisanji problem, however people who have only part of the story or are just reactionary against anyone associated with Nijisanji do continue to do things like that reply.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/034/711/Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

door.jar posted:

A good explanation

Thanks! It's always nice hearing about wild rear end drama I have nothing to do with and that makes the entire thing funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Benagain posted:

Thanks! It's always nice hearing about wild rear end drama I have nothing to do with and that makes the entire thing funnier

Yeah I figured it had something to do with her being an employee of nijisanji

That scandal made waves